Crawford signs

SLUDrew

He actually never played AAU until the summer before his Junior season because of golf. He still only played in the summer the past few years because of golf meets. So he has kind of flown under the radar. When SLU offered schools like Butler, Clemson, South Carolina, Wake Forest and Nevada were in on him.

Great. Just what I wanted to hear. BTW, welcome to the Board.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Devils, Thanks for the response. Here at SLU we like to send anyone 6'5" or taller who have ever had more than 3 rebounds a game to Backhand and muscle em up to be 4's.

We don't like 6'5" guards unless they can't rebound. Then and only then out of neccesity will we allow them to be a guard. Please ask Mike to rebound a little less if he wants to be a 2 or a 3 here

Devils, Thanks for the response. Here at SLU we like to send anyone 6'5" or taller who have ever had more than 3 rebounds a game to Backhand and muscle em up to be 4's.

We don't like 6'5" guards unless they can't rebound. Then and only then out of neccesity will we allow them to be a guard. Please ask Mike to rebound a little less if he wants to be a 2 or a 3 here

I can tell him that after the season haha. He rebounds his butt off. He could play the 4 if needed but it wouldn't make much sense with his perimeter skills. Very smart kid by the way, #1 in his class academically.

after our current starters and ellis and mitchell, meyer would be this teams 8th player minimum imo. in fact, i would be tempted to play meyer before loe and just go small. we'd play bigger.

It depends which Luke Meyer you are talking about. Freshman and sophomore Luke Meyer would never see the floor. Junior Luke Meyer would battle for the 9th spot in the 9 man rotation - just not sure where he would get playing time with Evans at the three and how effective we are when we go three guards with Mitchell, McCall and Jett. Senior Luke Meyer would be ahead of Jake Barnett and give a good 10 minutes a game off the bench. RM really liked Luke's ability to do the little things.

Wasn't this board hating on this kid hardcore the moment it was announced he signed?

Change of heart all the sudden?

I don't remember hating. Some were concerned that we won over a lower level of competition. I think there was probably some hate for Crews over the way the season began and his effect on recruiting.

-if Crawford is shooter and a maker at 6'5 bring him on!!!!

-welcome to SLU

-the line about after SLU offered here came others reminds of a story Coach Harriman told last year or may be the year before where SLU announced or told someone they had offered player X and immediately, without seeing or any research, player X got offers from other schools, player X was someone's nephew who did not play bball, these other schools were following Rick's evaluations and targeting those players, SLU's theory was confirmed

-I hope our next coach has that sort of reputation or gets to it

-if Crawford is shooter and a maker at 6'5 bring him on!!!!

-welcome to SLU

-the line about after SLU offered here came others reminds of a story Coach Harriman told last year or may be the year before where SLU announced or told someone they had offered player X and immediately, without seeing or any research, player X got offers from other schools, player X was someone's nephew who did not play bball, these other schools were following Rick's evaluations and targeting those players, SLU's theory was confirmed

-I hope our next coach has that sort of reputation or gets to it

I suspect that is what happened with Will Clyburn. We seemed to be the only one recruiting the 6-7 juco out of Detroit. Utah of all places got involved late and he went there. A kid from Detroit going to freakin' Utah? Sure enough, he wasn't happy there and transferred to Iowa State. He scored 32 in a game against BYU this year and when he was at Utah he averaged 17 pts and 8 rebounds. For me, that's the biggest "one that got away" in the RM era. Last year's team with Clyburn would have been scary good.

after our current starters and ellis and mitchell, meyer would be this teams 8th player minimum imo. in fact, i would be tempted to play meyer before loe and just go small. we'd play bigger.

Luke would outscore and outrebound Loe, and add a level of toughness that Loe doesn't have. Does anyone else get tired of Loe trying to set picks for the little guys when maybe we should be trying to free him up...if he was a real scorer? Not trying to change this thread...

Maybe he will have a growth spurt and come in at 6' 8". It could happen.

Height is vastly overrated - Evans outrebounds Loe, and he's smaller, but quicker and tougher. Athletic big guy, however, count me in. Ah, Willie...where are you?

Luke would outscore and outrebound Loe, and add a level of toughness that Loe doesn't have. Does anyone else get tired of Loe trying to set picks for the little guys when maybe we should be trying to free him up...if he was a real scorer? Not trying to change this thread...

if the pick and roll is executed correctly, loe would also roll opposite the billiken guard he set the pick for and he should then at minimum have a big mismatch with an opponent's guard to shoot over or be wide open. since you (or me) have never noticed such, loe probably doesnt execute correctly. i will be watching such tonite.

• 2 weeks later...

If he is anything like Dunham, we got a steal.

I understand wgstl was just making a comparison and not saying they were identical. I also understand rankings are far from the end-all be-all and Crawford very well could be underrated by those rankings.

But Dunham was a top 100 player and I doubt many people would tell you Crawford is that caliber player. I'd be happy with a poor man's Kellen Dunham.

Crawford recently scored 32 of his team's 57 points, including the game-winner with 6 second left. His team has won 33 consecutive games. Who knows about the level of competition, but I'm starting to feel pretty good about this recruit. Most people were sort of ho-hum about it inlcuding me, but maybe Crews has found a really good player. At least at the level the kid is playing, he is really filling it up. Perhaps we got him early before more good programs entered the recruiting picture.

Crawford recently scored 32 of his team's 57 points, including the game-winner with 6 second left. His team has won 33 consecutive games. Who knows about the level of competition, but I'm starting to feel pretty good about this recruit. Most people were sort of ho-hum about it inlcuding me, but maybe Crews has found a really good player. At least at the level the kid is playing, he is really filling it up. Perhaps we got him early before more good programs entered the recruiting picture.

-what our current situation generally is, let's hope that changes in the near future

-a 6'5 kid that can shoot from outside, I like that and know from this thread he has other skills to bring, let's see what happens