This season's starters, hey, we need some hoops discussion

slu72

Best guess: PG- KM, 2-MM, 3-DE, 4-RL, 5- CR (thinking interior D and he's our best bet at this point)

Likely rotation

CE's settled into the 6 spot and he'll still see a bunch of minutes. But he could start in place of CR if CR's not put in the requisite work.

JJ will also see plenty of court time and then start his SR year

JM in for CR or RL. If RM was right about this kid, ie NBA potential, then he could beat out CR.

JB only if his 3's and D have improved. It would be nice to have a sniper besides CE

GG ? (He was an UNLV recruit so you have to figure he's got some athletic skills. He's got the closest body type to BC. Maybe a late season surprise?)

Carter and Drew go to D1 school for most of the year, ie a lot of bench time.

We're gonna miss BC's scoring, but am hopeful RL and DE will pick up that slack.

Best guess: PG- KM, 2-MM, 3-DE, 4-RL, 5- CR (thinking interior D and he's our best bet at this point)

Likely rotation

CE's settled into the 6 spot and he'll still see a bunch of minutes. But he could start in place of CR if CR's not put in the requisite work.

JM in for CR or RL. If RM was right about this kid, ie NBA potential, then he could beat out CR.

JB only if his 3's and D have improved. It would be nice to have a sniper besides CE

GG ? (He was an UNLV recruit so you have to figure he's got some athletic skills. He's got the closest body type to BC. Maybe a late season surprise?)

We're gonna miss BC's scoring, but am hopeful RL and DE will pick up that slack.

Looks good to me. What are the possiblities someone is redshirted? GG? Carter?? Drew??

Just curious if it could happen.

Looks good to me. What are the possiblities someone is redshirted? GG? Carter?? Drew??

Just curious if it could happen.

Pure speculation on my part but if the staff opted to redshirt I would think the most likely candidate would be Drew. We seem to have no issues getting guards year after year but stretching out the careers of our wings and bigs would be beneficial. With GG and Manning having a year in RM's system they are going to much more prepared to make an impact than any incoming freshman at their positions. That said, without knowing who is in the recruiting pipeline I don't think any of us can accurately project what might happen.

ya I would throw drew in the RS. hes gonna be DE replacement, and DE is a junior. It will allow DE to be a senior and teach young grasshopper the way. I also see GG, and KC if he allows a freshmen on such a deep team to even play, to get some minutes.

Likely rotation

I pretty much agree. Going under the assumption that we will have a 9-man rotation again. I think Barnett and Carter will battle for one spot. They each bring something different to the table and the 9-man rotation may change a bit depending on match-ups. Maybe one game Barnett gets clock, the next game it is Carter. The other open spot in the rotation would seem to go to Manning. Glaze could be a darkhorse to either take some of Manning's minutes or perhaps even pass Cory by if CR doesn't improve. I could see Drew redshirting. I like the idea of Jett and Ellis being the first two off the bench. BTW, Has the program ever had players as good as Ellis and Jett coming off the bench?

I pretty much agree. Going under the assumption that we will have a 9-man rotation again. I think Barnett and Carter will battle for one spot. They each bring something different to the table and the 9-man rotation may change a bit depending on match-ups. Maybe one game Barnett gets clock, the next game it is Carter. The other open spot in the rotation would seem to go to Manning. Glaze could be a darkhorse to either take some of Manning's minutes or perhaps even pass Cory by if CR doesn't improve. I could see Drew redshirting. I like the idea of Jett and Ellis being the first two off the bench. BTW, Has the program ever had players as good as Ellis and Jett coming off the bench?

Not only that, but there's probably only a few teams in the nation that will be able to bring that type of quality off the bench.

I'd agree with you guys that if anyone redshirts it will probably be Drew. But that decision will ultimately be left to him.

I'm pumped about both of our recruits.

I think you boys have covered the situation pretty well. Let's see how everybody looks in September. I agree that Drew is the most likely redshirt candidate. I hope that injuries won't muddle up the situation too much. Who will step up to the plate and really contribute this year ? Barnett ? Glaze ? Manning ? Remekun ? Interesting possibilities. Yes, we've never had a bench like this before.

I do not think anybody will redshirt unless after they practice some that they look completely unready and only time will tell that. I have little confidence that CR will start ahead of CE - nothing in CR's body of work tells me that. No problem with KM and MM being starters but I do think that Jett will see plenty of playing time. I agree that RL will be on the court and maybe CR will get some of his rest minutes if JM does not step up. GG will play some and JB will be given a chance for some relief minutes based on what we have seen to date. Carter will be eased in as the year goes on and Drew may have a repeat of the year that GG and JM had - lots of splinters but a few minutes overall to mop up.

Never. We've certainly had better individuals and even maybe starting lineups, but this is the deepest SLU team I think we've had in the past 25 years.

I do not think anybody will redshirt unless after they practice some that they look completely unready and only time will tell that. I have little confidence that CR will start ahead of CE - nothing in CR's body of work tells me that. No problem with KM and MM being starters but I do think that Jett will see plenty of playing time. I agree that RL will be on the court and maybe CR will get some of his rest minutes if JM does not step up. GG will play some and JB will be given a chance for some relief minutes based on what we have seen to date. Carter will be eased in as the year goes on and Drew may have a repeat of the year that GG and JM had - lots of splinters but a few minutes overall to mop up.

IMO, this seems like the most likely scenario. I see CE starting ahead of CR with RL playing the 5. I also feel like JM will see quite a few minutes this season.

IMO, this seems like the most likely scenario. I see CE starting ahead of CR with RL playing the 5. I also feel like JM will see quite a few minutes this season.

It comes down to whether RM is comfortable having two Euro style bigs on the court at the same time with no true back to the basket scoring threats. If so, RL and CE will both start, if not it'll be similar to last year and we'll likely see RL and CR start then get replaced with CE and JM. Each set of bigs would have one outside shooter (CE or RL), one back to the backet scorer (JM or CR) and one decent shot blocker (again JM or CR).

I suspect during the first 35 minutes of the game we'll generally see the rotations listed above but at the end of the game more often than not it will be RL and CE in the game together.

RL,KM,MM, & DE are all obvious starters. Barring surprises & injuries the last spot could be JJ,CE or CR. I think JJ is the most likely because he brings more to the table than the other two. It may be a small lineup but JJ plays big and has shown he can defend bigger men, rebound and score in the post. He's too good not to give him top 3 minutes. The only player I see playing more than him is KM.

I prefer to do minutes per game.

2012 2013 projected

31.4 Mitchell - 30

22.9 McCall - 25

25.1 Evans - 25

22.2 Jett - 24

21.2 Ellis - 24

16.3 Loe - 22

9.5 Remekun - 16

3.9 Manning - 14

3.2 Glaze - 12

5.3 Barnett - 8

29.4 Conklin

17.9 Cassity

2.3 Gehlan

2.7 Daly

-i put 2012 mpg in front of the players for comparison

-there are 47pg to fill IF all else remains the same

-my expectation is that CR grabs more of these minutes than anyone, basically taking from BC's 29.4, i expect CR to 'get it' and more consistently be the player he has shown flashes of being, perhaps you can replace expect with hope

-we do seem to have a roster that is unlike what we are used to in a very good way

Am I the only one on this board that doesn't see JB getting significant minutes? Did anyone see flashes of brilliance from last year to predict significant minutes next year like we saw from CR? I sure didn't.

I don't see anyone being redshirted. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Drew get more minutes than JB. He's supposed to be a DE just better shooter.

Manning will get significant minutes, and if he develops, gets more comfortable, will surpass CR minutes by end of season.

Am I the only one on this board that doesn't see JB getting significant minutes? Did anyone see flashes of brilliance from last year to predict significant minutes next year like we saw from CR? I sure didn't.

Are there people in this thread suggesting Barnett gets significant minutes? I sure don't see people saying that?

Barnett's minutes will depend on whether Carter is as good as advertised or if there are injuries. No injuries and a real deal KC means no meaningful minutes for Jake.

It comes down to whether RM is comfortable having two Euro style bigs on the court at the same time with no true back to the basket scoring threats. If so, RL and CE will both start, if not it'll be similar to last year and we'll likely see RL and CR start then get replaced with CE and JM. Each set of bigs would have one outside shooter (CE or RL), one back to the backet scorer (JM or CR) and one decent shot blocker (again JM or CR).

I suspect during the first 35 minutes of the game we'll generally see the rotations listed above but at the end of the game more often than not it will be RL and CE in the game together.

Well. Kshoe, great minds finally think alike. I started CR because he's obviously more athletic than CE. However, CR does seem to have a problem "getting w/ the program" at times. If that's the case, who starts at the 5 is going to come down to 3 players; RL ( then CE could be the 4), JM (then RL stays at the 4), or CR (RL stays at the 4 but CE gets more minutes than CR along with JM getting his upped as well). Face it, CR is the most athletic big we have for D, and at times he's put in very solid minutes there.

I totally get the Euro thing with inside players; not physical enough, not athletic enough to cope w/ a strong quick big, eg Nicholson. RM knows this. Therefore, maybe JM gets to be the surprise starter over CR. But I still see CE off the bench and getting significant minutes.

As for JJ, I thought he was one of our top 3 guys at the end of the season. But I just don't see RM playing a small lineup at the beginning of games. And then when he inserts him, the other coach has to do something to counter him. JJ's one of the keys to our success this year. He's a matchup problem. Quick, can jump, can score inside. If JJ has developed any kind of outside shot over the summer, he will be hell on wheels this year.

Are there people in this thread suggesting Barnett gets significant minutes? I sure don't see people saying that?

Barnett's minutes will depend on whether Carter is as good as advertised or if there are injuries. No injuries and a real deal KC means no meaningful minutes for Jake.

Agreed again, Kshoe. My original post had Barnett as the 8th man off the bench, but only if he can hit his 3's. I hope he can, since another sniper off the bench would be huge. Right now, CE should have that role nailed down, and JB won't take any minutes from CE, but it's nice to think we've got another 3 pt threat in the wings.

Direct from reality:

Carter will be getting significant minutes. I'm not saying he will start, but barring injury he will play a lot. Listing the minutes without 16-22 (or more) for Carter is in for a surprise, I think. could be wrong....

paying attention to what doctorb says, i.e. dwayne DAT DUDE evans.

Direct from reality: Carter will be getting significant minutes. I'm not saying he will start, but barring injury he will play a lot. Listing the minutes without 16-22 (or more) for Carter is in for a surprise, I think. could be wrong....

I agree. From what I've heard, we should expect around 15-20 minutes out of Carter. Sounds like we should see a lot of 3 guard sets this year with Dwayne maybe playing a little more at the 4 again.

My prediction: CR starts at the beginning of the season (RM likes to start his seniors) as RM gives him an opportunity to succeed or fail. I think CR will succeed.

I agree. I think Cory will get the first shot at it, kind of like Cassity last year. If he doesn't step up, Manning or Glaze will get a shot. I think they will keep Ellis coming off the bench. In interviews Cody said he really like that role. Come in and provide a spark. He was comfortable and did well with it last year, so I wouldn't want to mess with it. He'll still probably get around 25 minutes per game.