Selection Sunday

TheOldie

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they buy directly from the school than they will get just the session they play in. But, I am sure that the Kentucky fans have had that pod circled and purchased the full book of tickets when they went on sale last year for Louisville.

Great point.

based on previous conference tourney runs, previous ncaa tourney appearances and our current less than over the top attendance. to expect 20% of what comes to chaifetz to now travel out of state and go through travel arrangements and ticket procurement, i just dont see 1,800+ to show up. put me down for less than 500.

I think you underestimate the power of the NCAA tournament berth. This will bring out more than the casual fans from St Louis. This will bring out random alums that never gave two shits about Billiken basketball before. Hell my friends from SLU want to come with to the tournament because their alma mater is in it, and they never want to go to other games.

based on previous conference tourney runs, previous ncaa tourney appearances and our current less than over the top attendance. to expect 20% of what comes to chaifetz to now travel out of state and go through travel arrangements and ticket procurement, i just dont see 1,800+ to show up. put me down for less than 500.

I would have to say the same thing. I have been to nearly every C-USA/A-10 Tournament since 2000. We do not travel well.

I think you underestimate the power of the NCAA tournament berth. This will bring out more than the casual fans from St Louis. This will bring out random alums that never gave two shits about Billiken basketball before. Hell my friends from SLU want to come with to the tournament because their alma mater is in it, and they never want to go to other games.

we'll see. if you want to put money on the 1800+ let me know.

Roy, this is why there are members of the Old Boys club and the non-members of the Old Boys Clubs....These young'ins just don't understand.

I am willing to put money on a 1,000 or less. I love SLU and many of their fans, our program just isn't there yet.

I would bet on a large turnout to one of the midwest areas. I wouldn't bet on 2000+ for Portland or Albuquerque. But I would bet on a decent crowd in any of the driving locations.

i will say this. st louis fans and even billiken fans are famous for being johnny come lately warm weather fans. i still remember the miracle in memphis week. first game there were maybe 15 of us there. vs cincy we had maybe 25. the next game we had about 50. for the championship game vs depaul there were about 300 fans there and everyone swore they had been there sitting next to me every game.

so who knows.

that said, 300 to 1800+ is a big number in the realm of billiken fans that will take off work, travel 5 hours to get to a game and find lodging.

I was in Atlanta for '98 NCAA, maybe a 100 showed. Most of those were SLU alums from the Atlanta area.

Lets face it, we don't travel well. Just recall the Anaheim Tourney from what I could see on TV, other teams we played seemed to have a nice turn-out, ours did not look so great. Hopefully that will change.

If its driveable I think the numbers will be good, if not, probably not very good. Still, we'll sell out the 350 allotment no matter what.

Also, I don't think CUSA or A-10 tourneys are comparable. They simply aren't as important as the NCAA tournament nor do they get the common fan to want to go. Especially when most years that we played in those tourney we were a few games over .500. This is different.

This argument is of course completely unwinnable. How can anybody "prove" how many Billiken fans are in attendance at a given game when they are spread out in the stadium, our color is fairly common, and many of our fans don't even wear our school colors.

I was in Atlanta for '98 NCAA, maybe a 100 showed. Most of those were SLU alums from the Atlanta area.

Lets face it, we don't travel well. Just recall the Anaheim Tourney from what I could see on TV, other teams we played seemed to have a nice turn-out, ours did not look so great. Hopefully that will change.

I was there too and have a far different memory. Hell, I went out with about 10 guys that Saturday night that were in school with me and none of them were sitting in the official SLU section and all attended both games. Can I give you an exact number, of course not but it was way more than 100 and it certainly wasn't just local alumni.

K, you maybe right, the Georgia Dome holds like 70,000. I got my ticket through the Atlanta Alum Club, so I can only judge from what I saw who sat around me.

I think that is the power of having groups together. When people are spread out they tend to not make much noise and blend in. When people are consolidated, the atmosphere is much better and the count looks higher.

Unless you are UK...then your fans are just everywhere.

I think that is the power of having groups together. When people are spread out they tend to not make much noise and blend in. When people are consolidated, the atmosphere is much better and the count looks higher.

Unless you are UK...then your fans are just everywhere.

I went to the two NITs at the Garden in the 80's, I was kind surprised about that one with SLU having a pretty good crowd. Mostly students and they came with the band. Recall that rendition of MacArthur's Park. But the Garden was maybe 1/2 full for it so it was easy to tell.

I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but if we're playing in Louisville or Nashville, I'm definitely in. Probably also Columbus. Omaha and Pittsburgh possibly as well. Greensboro, Portland, or Albuquerque would likely be doubtful. I'd love to make it to the NCAA games, but school starts back up the following Monday, so I need to be back there in time for that, as I don't skip classes.

If somebody wants to criticize my dedication for not being willing to abandon my priorities and go anywhere, go ahead and feel that way. I don't care what you think.

Fans will not follow their team, in large numbers, unless there is a realistic chance that their team will play multiple games and contend for the championship. A10 is a tough venue to get to from St. Louis, is expensive, etc. but don't discount the fact that we have not had much success in AC. Aside from the Miracle in Memphis, how much Tourney success have we really had?

I like what i see happening between jimbo and kitty. this could be a billikens.com first. you sumbitches better invite me to the wedding.

Romance on the Billiken board...has to be a first! :D Just hit me up if you want any recommendations for chapels in Vegas. ;)