Two Months Later -- the Tu Holloway story

Taj79

The negative reaction to what Tu said about the gangster stuff was way over the top. The word "gangster" scared some people. At the time, I said something similar to what Mack said in the story... "It's so hard because it's words," Mack said. "You have to look at what he said. Most people didn't. They stopped after gangster. He made a point of saying this was about the game, not about what happened after on the floor, but no one heard that. No one listened, and you can't ever take it back."

The negative reaction to what Tu said about the gangster stuff was way over the top. The word "gangster" scared some people. At the time, I said something similar to what Mack said in the story... "It's so hard because it's words," Mack said. "You have to look at what he said. Most people didn't. They stopped after gangster. He made a point of saying this was about the game, not about what happened after on the floor, but no one heard that. No one listened, and you can't ever take it back."

I probably don't hate Xavier as much as most people do on this board (prebilliken) but I found that story incredibly sad. One mistake and the guy doesn't even like basketball anymore. I hope Xavier kicks ass the rest of the season, except the SLU game, and TU makes it to the NBA.

I probably don't hate Xavier as much as most people do on this board (prebilliken) but I found that story incredibly sad. One mistake and the guy doesn't even like basketball anymore. I hope Xavier kicks ass the rest of the season, except the SLU game, and TU makes it to the NBA.

Another thing to contemplate is that the NBA lockout is probably the only reason Tu is playing college ball this year. I believe he was projected anywhere between mid-first to early 2nd round in the draft last year. With the NBA lockout still going on, it was a risky proposition to test out the draft waters, and thus he decided to come back to school for his senior year. If there was no labor situation last summer, no doubt Tu would have taken his chance on the draft.

I go back and forth on this. It's probably a good thing no one puts me in front of a camera on my worst days at work. However, "it's just not fun anymore" won't buy much sympathy from anyone who works for a living. As Denis Leary said "Lifes tough, get a helmet."

I think it's different though. He is not working for a living - he is a kid playing a game. If he was a NBA player making millions and saying this I would not give two shits about him.

After reading what Holloway's going thru emotionally, you wonder if KM didn't suffer a little hangover from the "incident". We all discussed how he hasn't seemed to be the same player he was his soph year. It seems he's starting to get back to where he was, but I'd guess he probably didn't think it was all that much fun in the early part of this season. When Mack said, "I want my tough guard back", I can picture RM saying to KM, "I want my leader back". These are young men who have had stigmas attached to them. And they have to go out and perform in front of a lot of people. It's got to be tough.

After reading what Holloway's going thru emotionally, you wonder if KM didn't suffer a little hangover from the "incident". We all discussed how he hasn't seemed to be the same player he was his soph year. It seems he's starting to get back to where he was, but I'd guess he probably didn't think it was all that much fun in the early part of this season. When Mack said, "I want my tough guard back", I can picture RM saying to KM, "I want my leader back". These are young men who have had stigmas attached to them. And they have to go out and perform in front of a lot of people. It's got to be tough.

Very thoughtful post, slu72.

PJ- You're damn right I hate Xavier.

But it has so much more to do with just basketball, its the fans, the school, the city, and yes, some of what the players do. Mostly it has to do with Mack and the administration.

I've sat and thought about the situation of Cincy and Xavier after the fight many times. And all hate aside X has still a lot to be ashamed of. Right off the bat the school that was supposed to be the "stab and grab" thug school handled it better, their coached met the media instantly with a heartfelt apology of the events that unfolded, let the public know action would be taken, and then he stood by his word. His University president, the administration, the team staff, from all reports given show that everyone was on board with reflecting on what went wrong.

Xavier on the other hand, a fellow Catholic-Jesuit institution, started off on the wrong foot immediately. Mack should be fired for letting those kids talk, F-ing fired. Of course they said stupid things, they we're fired up KIDS who just were pulled out of a brawl with the other KIDS from down the street who they hate. Thugs or not, good kids or bad kids, scholars or flunks, there are few people of that age who could come out of a situation that emotionally charged and handle it correctly. Nor should they be expected to! Its Mack's burden to answer the media, Mack's job to make sure there are no quotable tid-bits that will make it all seem worse, Mack's job to be the adult.

Furthermore, X's administration failed in so many regards to fully communicate, in my opinion, how ashamed they were of the act that unfolded. It took them 3 days to produce a full length official statement, and when it did I wasn't satisfied.

One of the shots I always leveled against Xavier was that they are the new Georgetown, that they will to surrender academic and ethical quality of the students on its athletic teams for the sake of a winning program. I always used to say that the players who were on X were just as much of punks or worse than the players on Cincy. X fans used to hail themselves as the classy school in the rivalry, so of course I felt vindicated to see the sky fall down on them.

Do I feel bad for Tu? Absolutely. But if he's as good as a kid as this article reports he'll bounce back, America loves a comeback as much (probably more) than they love a tragedy. But mistakes have consequences, you told the world you were a gangsta, not a thug, but a gangsta, you shouldn't be shocked that's the way the world is looking at you right now. Granted, you should have never been in that situation, and I'm sorry that he was.

BUT, if for one minute, anyone thinks its unfair to levy attacks against X such as "Zip 'em up!" or "We gangsta's!" at Xavier fans or players... Don't bring that opinion to me. That school and that fan base are classless, if they turn on their own that's on them.

GO BILLS. BEAT X.

i think the whole incident is a great example of the price of "freedom of speech". nothing is free. there is a cost for an outburst like tu's. and the fact tu has now been branded possibly for life while maybe a tough cross for tu to bear is a message that hopefully others can learn from.

best thing tu could do is learn from it and try to be a good person from this point forward. whether he is smart enough to do so is yet to be seen. america for the most part is made up of very forgiving people and as long as tu doesnt continue act like he did in that post game interview, i believe he will be forgiven. the fact it may have screwed up his senior year and lead to a career change, well no one to blame but tu himself. tough break tu.

best thing tu could do is learn from it and try to be a good person from this point forward. whether he is smart enough to do so is yet to be seen. .

The article gives plenty of evidence that he is smart enough, Roy. After all, he's getting a C+ in a "tough" business ethics class at the Harvard of the A-10.

The article gives plenty of evidence that he is smart enough, Roy. After all, he's getting a C+ in a "tough" business ethics class at the Harvard of the A-10.

hahaha i saw that. pretty tough schedule. 2 classes.

hahaha i saw that. pretty tough schedule. 2 classes.

-i don't get this, he needs a certain number of credits to graduate and that certain number is achieved by only having 2 classes his last semester, so he got it done in the summers or in other semesters, while his comments after the brawl were not smart the kid sure looks to graduate on time

-i don't get this, he needs a certain number of credits to graduate and that certain number is achieved by only having 2 classes his last semester, so he got it done in the summers or in other semesters, while his comments after the brawl were not smart the kid sure looks to graduate on time

He will graduate on time. Xavier, for all its faults in its handling of things before, during, and after the brawl, has an undeniably strong track record of graduating basketball players.

Tu did a prep year (after transfering around various high schools in NY) at Harmony Community School in Cincy, which is basically one of those fake Christian "schools" that essentially act as shells for a traveling basketball team. Same kind of fly-by-night deal Willie Reed attended in KC his junior year. At these places, the basketball coach is also one of the top administrators and the rest of the staff and enrollment are minimal. They rent a gym with adjacent meeting rooms used as classrooms. Some are more established than others, but I've never seen one that isn't completely shady. High school sports are HUGE in Cincy, and when I lived there I never met anyone who'd heard of it- a good way to tell how fake it is. It's also the school where Alex Tyus finished up before going to Florida.

Another example is Word of God in Raleigh, where current XU player Dez Wells went (John Wall and Randy Pulley are also alums). To say basketball was emphasized more than academics there would be a gross understatement.

Anyway, Tu didn't exactly enter XU with a strong academic background. He's graduating in four years and has smartly spread his credits out to all summer semesters (which is how Cassity and Conklin will finish MBAs in 4 years). Even with 6 hours and a C+ this semester, it's no small achievement.