Majerus Rant

slufan13

As far as free throws go, I know it's tough to shoot them with tired legs, crowd noise, situational pressure, etc. but as far as I'm concerned, they're called FREE throws for a reason. 8-19 at UMass is indefensible. I don't like to take the anti-NBA approach, but I honestly think a lot of these guys see the success that a Shaq has without having any ability from the line and think they can get by with the same mediocrity. Just look at Sunday's Bulls-Heat game...Lebron and DRose both missed huge free throws in the final minutes, and yet they're still revered as some of the greatest players in the world. Our guys see that and have no motivation to get any better. I personally think Majerus isn't upset enough about it. He always seems to shrug missed FTs off like they're nothing. In the quote at the beginning of the thread he says something to the effect of not caring about missed shots. Well, not that my opinion matters, but I sure as hell care about them.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Roy. Believe you're off base on this one. As pointed out, RM did take blame and yet you act like he didn't. IMO, RM took more than his share of blame for not having the team more mentally prepared for the first half. Our same players executed and played much better (both defense and offense) in the second half. Had we played, as a team, in the second half like we did in the first half, we would have won by double digits.

As to RM, coaches can only prepare, motivate and put players in position to succeed. We were NOT down by 19 or 20 at halftime b/c RM was, as you suggest, slow to make an obvious adjustment of putting DE on Putney. Neither BC nor DE nor any other Billiken guarded Putney or anyone else alone. Instead, our help-side defense was often slow to react or just not there. BC did not even start the game and no way did RM expect Putney to have such a first half. 65% is just not normal and few teams will win on the road, especially in conference, when the home team hits 65%. We also had 15 turnovers (believe 9 or 10 in the first half) and that cannot be blamed on RM.

As also pointed out, KM did a better job on Williams in the second half. Same personnel and coaching scheme but different desire and execution. RM is not to blame for KM's defense in the first half.

Regarding the part in bold, you obviously mean the opposite. If the Bills had done what you wrote, they would have lost by 50!

In watching the team and thinking about this, I think the missed bunnies are the product of concern that the shot is going to get blocked. I don't know how Coach handles that, except to just say forget about the block, don't worry about getting swatted. Go up strong and confident.

I think the UMass crowd and team rattled SLU in the first half. It reminded me of misadventures under Spoon at the then Shoemaker Center at Cincinnati, when UC would impose its will on SLU, or worse in the Dark Ages at places like Freedom Hall in Louisville. However, UMass is not those Cincinnati or Louisville teams, and SLU under Coach Majerus, an outstanding bench coach, and as we expected here, came out and made a game of it in the second half. I was reminded of Majerus' mentor, the late Al McGuire, who preached about getting the lead under 10, and I said we need to get it under 10 at the 10 minute mark. SLU exceeded that- got it there with 14 minutes left. SLU was within 5 points with 5 minutes left. SLU was done in by poor free throw shooting and that key foul against Chaz Williams at shot clock expiration when he was launching the desperation 3.

UMass is not that good, and is ripe to be taken in the A-10 Tournament.

The Billikens need to be confident, play freely like they did in Anaheim. SLU looked like a Top 20 team in Anaheim. So it is there.

And our SLU team looks so much better when it is hitting its shots, to state the obvious.

-so BAB, the Bills played great when you were in attendance, how are you going to make the remaining games?? :) or were you also at lmu game?

-so BAB, the Bills played great when you were in attendance, how are you going to make the remaining games?? :) or were you also at lmu game?

I'm afraid I was at that LMU game in LA. I was at the Arkansas State, Texas Southern, and George Washington home games. SLU is 3-1 at the games I've seen in person.

But I am also including all the games I've watched SLU play on TV, real good ones, which include the 76 Classic in Anaheim and Washington, when the Billikens played like a Top 20 team, as well as 2 losses I watched on TV (Temple and UMass).

We will be at Chaifetz Arena for the Fordham game on Feb. 18, and we are very much looking forward to it.

We will be at Chaifetz Arena for the Fordham game on Feb. 18, and we are very much looking forward to it.

Bay, I'm hopefully coming to Napa Valley in the spring or early summer. I like spending the coldest winters of my life in N.Cali. Will be making a stop over in SF for a couple of days. Is that where you're located? If so, lets have a drink or... two...or three... or hell let's make it five and I promise not to wear my NY Giants hat (your SF fans make death threats). My record for seeing the Bills in person recently... well, quite honestly, it sucks. 0-2 in Charlotte (both of those I'll lay on Tarheel, or Big Al as I call him), 0-1 at the Dean Dome, 0-1 at the Fetz (this one really hurt since I drove 1800 friggin miles and didn't fly, Thanks F. Dunphy). I'm thinking maybe I should stay away from ACity, but then again Taj Mahal was in DC for that 20 point egg and he's still not bought us a Miracle in Memphis in ACity, which he attends like Sunday Mass. I did see 'em whomp UL in Louisville in 2000 by 20 and that one probably drove the nail in Crum's coffin and also had a talk with the Dali Lama (not in Louisville), so at least I got that going for me.

I think last year destroyed Kyle. He was forced to be "the man" for a time, and he isn't that type of player. His confidence to shoot is long gone.

In his senior year in high school, Cassity carried his team. I watched him play so well in the state tournament and I was hoping we would sign him. He was that type of player. I don't know why he changed.

Bay, I'm hopefully coming to Napa Valley in the spring or early summer. I like spending the coldest winters of my life in N.Cali. Will be making a stop over in SF for a couple of days. Is that where you're located? If so, lets have a drink or... two...or three... or hell let's make it five and I promise not to wear my NY Giants hat (your SF fans make death threats). My record for seeing the Bills in person recently... well, quite honestly, it sucks. 0-2 in Charlotte (both of those I'll lay on Tarheel, or Big Al as I call him), 0-1 at the Dean Dome, 0-1 at the Fetz (this one really hurt since I drove 1800 friggin miles and didn't fly, Thanks F. Dunphy). I'm thinking maybe I should stay away from ACity, but then again Taj Mahal was in DC for that 20 point egg and he's still not bought us a Miracle in Memphis in ACity, which he attends like Sunday Mass. I did see 'em whomp UL in Louisville in 2000 by 20 and that one probably drove the nail in Crum's coffin and also had a talk with the Dali Lama (not in Louisville), so at least I got that going for me.

By all means, give me a call when you are out here. We live in the East Bay, Contra Costa County, which is one of the 9 SF Bay Area counties. Perhaps we can get Sonoma Bob to join us. I'll send you a PM with my contact info. We actually have Oakland Raiders season tickets, and my son went to Fordham, so you can wear your NY Giants gear safely in this household. Maybe we can go to a SF Giants baseball game when you are here, or the Oakland A's, depending upon which one is at home when you are here.

Point of information ---- I hav ebeen toi jsut about every Billiken tournament including Indy for the old Midwest Cities Conference, Dayton for the old Great Midwest, Birmingham and Louisville and Cincy for those as well as CUSA, Cincy for the A10 and now Atlantic City. I also saw the NCAA appearance in Baltimore aginst Tim Duncan and comapny. The two I chose to NOT go to were Memphis and Milwaukee (when Claggs and Co. lost to Cincy).

I can pick 'em!

Praying the Trop sends me a package deal. Two nights at the Trop for the Friday/Saturday nights on the boards are $420 per room. @kshoe: check in the mail for your half of our room, right?

Point of information ---- I hav ebeen toi jsut about every Billiken tournament including Indy for the old Midwest Cities Conference, Dayton for the old Great Midwest, Birmingham and Louisville and Cincy for those as well as CUSA, Cincy for the A10 and now Atlantic City. I also saw the NCAA appearance in Baltimore aginst Tim Duncan and comapny. The two I chose to NOT go to were Memphis and Milwaukee (when Claggs and Co. lost to Cincy).

I believe there was a CUSA tournament in Chicago too. Bills were one and done; lost on Thurs. afternoon before I even got there!

I can pick 'em!

Praying the Trop sends me a package deal. Two nights at the Trop for the Friday/Saturday nights on the boards are $420 per room. @kshoe: check in the mail for your half of our room, right?

You gotta stop going to the tournaments - we need to do well this year!

Id like to point out I was at both the milwaukee tourney and miracle in memphis. And conversely have never been to atlantic city. Slu should pay to keep taj away and limo me to the front row. ;-)

As far as free throws go, I know it's tough to shoot them with tired legs, crowd noise, situational pressure, etc. but as far as I'm concerned, they're called FREE throws for a reason. 8-19 at UMass is indefensible. I don't like to take the anti-NBA approach, but I honestly think a lot of these guys see the success that a Shaq has without having any ability from the line and think they can get by with the same mediocrity. Just look at Sunday's Bulls-Heat game...Lebron and DRose both missed huge free throws in the final minutes, and yet they're still revered as some of the greatest players in the world. Our guys see that and have no motivation to get any better. I personally think Majerus isn't upset enough about it. He always seems to shrug missed FTs off like they're nothing. In the quote at the beginning of the thread he says something to the effect of not caring about missed shots. Well, not that my opinion matters, but I sure as hell care about them.

I will say that Derrick Rose has a career free throw percentage of 82% and this year it is at 86.6%, which is very good. For the most part, NBA players are FAR better free throw shooters than college players. For every bad free throw shooter that you can point out in the NBA, there are typically 10 others who are great at the line, especially when it comes to guards.

Id like to point out I was at both the milwaukee tourney and miracle in memphis. And conversely have never been to atlantic city. Slu should pay to keep taj away and limo me to the front row. ;-)

We are talking about SLU here.

Would you settle for a horse and buggy or possibly a segway.

You keep me away and the alumni age bounces back up to 72 ... and larry72 ain't been there yet. I keep going to tournaments-- I'm addicted. And I get to room with kshoe (who's apparently ignoring me!). Already tyrying to fdigure out Brookjlyn and the Barclay Center. Got I'm stoopid!

You keep me away and the alumni age bounces back up to 72 ... and larry72 ain't been there yet. I keep going to tournaments-- I'm addicted. And I get to room with kshoe (who's apparently ignoring me!). Already tyrying to fdigure out Brookjlyn and the Barclay Center. Got I'm stoopid!

actually taj i got two more years self imposed suspension (2012 and 2013) before i return to the conf tourney. so i guess you need to step up your record. i cant help you yet. i just hope you're still alive when i return in 14. you being a lot older and all.

High School and Division 1 basketball are two different monsters.

That does not mean his attitude had to change. He may not have been able to be as successful as he was in high school, but D1 ball does not necessarily make a player change his or her agressiveness. I know there is a huge difference between high school and D1 basketball.

That does not mean his attitude had to change. He may not have been able to be as successful as he was in high school, but D1 ball does not necessarily make a player change his or her agressiveness. I know there is a huge difference between high school and D1 basketball.

I agree, most good high school players dont come to college and become big *******. Sometimes they do not develop into the players they were thought to be but if their game or mindset changes it usually helps the team.

I dont think it's aggressiveness it's talent level and physicallity. Players have to work harder to get up and down the court and wears players.