SLU Law moving downtown

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="BillikenFriar" data-cid="349156" data-time="1362440991"><p>

Our alma mater is a mess.</p></blockquote>

Totally disagree. It's academia. Same as Peyton Place which happens every where.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="BillikenFriar" data-cid="349156" data-time="1362440991"><p>

Our alma mater is a mess.</p></blockquote>

Totally disagree. It's academia. Same as Peyton Place which happens every where.

You think the Keefe fiasco is an indication of problems with academia? I want to make sure I understand you correctly.

Perhaps the biggest insult to practicing lawyers who don't believe being a law degree gives you a license to be a loud-mouthed redneck:

"I am not from the world of academia. I am a practicing lawyer," he wrote. "I learned how to think and act like a lawyer at our law school. I learned to practice law by practicing."

I know hundreds of practicing lawyers (the majority of whom are SLU alum) and none of us share this perspective. Most of us still understand that it is an advanced degree that justifies a sense of professionalism, integrity, and intelligence. What a fool.

Perhaps the biggest insult to practicing lawyers who don't believe being a law degree gives you a license to be a loud-mouthed redneck:

I know hundreds of practicing lawyers (the majority of whom are SLU alum) and none of us share this perspective. Most of us still understand that it is an advanced degree that justifies a sense of professionalism, integrity, and intelligence. What a fool.

It's not the law degree that gives you the license to be an a-hole. It's the money in your bank account, the ass kissers who never tell you "no" and the University who looks the other way, even momentarily, in exchange for the fat checks.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="RiseAndGrind" data-cid="349170" data-time="1362447274"><p>

<br />

You think the Keefe fiasco is an indication of problems with academia? I want to make sure I understand you correctly.</p></blockquote>

No, that's not my point. However, after teaching as an adjunct for almost a decade, I have concluded that academia, like many other organizations, is fraught with all types of drama,, personal vendettas, individual narratives, and particular individual's agendas. It is not unique to Saint Louis University. Therefore, to suggest that our school is a mess is to suggest that virtually all schools, if not all organizations, are a mess. I simply do not agree with that.

Keefe, on the other hand, is certainly a mess. I lived in Bellville for a long time. I know his reputation quite well.

How is that an insult? Most lawyers I know will tell you the same thing. In law school they teach you the law, but they don't teach you how to practice law.

Practicing law and the academic institution of law school are vastly different worlds. Most of the law school faculty have never practiced law and aren't licensed to.

How is that an insult? Most lawyers I know will tell you the same thing. In law school they teach you the law, but they don't teach you how to practice law.

Practicing law and the academic institution of law school are vastly different worlds. Most of the law school faculty have never practiced law and aren't licensed to.

Really? My best law school professors (Salsich, Weinberger, and Wolf) all practiced law. In fact, the law they practiced was rooted in intellectual and professional capability, not the legalized extortion that has made Keefe a wealthy man at the expense of society and the profession.

Really? My best law school professors (Salsich, Weinberger, and Wolf) all practiced law. In fact, the law they practiced was rooted in intellectual and professional capability, not the legalized extortion that has made Keefe a wealthy man at the expense of society and the profession.

+ a very large number!!!!

Clayton is one of the few places I've ever seen where a McDonald's failed. The rent has to be atrocious.

Across from Scullin steel east of Maplewood on Manchester: they bulldozed it so fast people couldn't remember there ever being one

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="billiken_roy" data-cid="349134" data-time="1362436721"><p>

i doubt this breaks keefe's heart. he will survive. </p></blockquote>

If you live in Belleville you can do no wrong and are excused from having to act professionally, correct Roy?

what else do you want as far as punishment? didnt he lose the job? you are an idiot.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="billiken_roy" data-cid="349213" data-time="1362484950"><p>

what else do you want as far as punishment? didnt he lose the job? you are an idiot.</p></blockquote>

I just think its funny that you went apeshite when anyone questioned his hire or his reputation and now he gets canned after less than 6 months in a fashion that reflects very poorly on the school. Had rm made comments like keefe you'd have been all over him. Too bad rm is not from Belleville.

You, Roy, are the idiot and would be doing lots of us a favor if you would spend your time elsewhere. Maybe you should start a board exclusive to bellevillians where the only topics of discussion are Tom keefe, the lisch family, and brad soderberg. Go away.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="billiken_roy" data-cid="349213" data-time="1362484950"><p>

what else do you want as far as punishment? didnt he lose the job? you are an idiot.</p></blockquote>

I just think its funny that you went apeshite when anyone questioned his hire or his reputation and now he gets canned after less than 6 months in a fashion that reflects very poorly on the school. Had rm made comments like keefe you'd have been all over him. Too bad rm is not from Belleville.

You, Roy, are the idiot and would be doing lots of us a favor if you would spend your time elsewhere. Maybe you should start a board exclusive to bellevillians where the only topics of discussion are Tom keefe, the lisch family, and brad soderberg. Go away.

what else do you want as far as punishment? didnt he lose the job? you are an idiot.

Whoa!! Slow your roll, kid. Billikenroy isn't going anywhere. He's one of the most die-hard Billiken fans out there and the fact that he's a Belleville loyalist shouldn't make a god damn bit of difference. Calling him out because he stood by a hometown guy is asinine and borders on the absurd. Roy brings a ton of insight and opinions to the board and has been posting on here way before you even knew what a Billiken was so I'm going to step into the box for Roy here because he's one of us -- a true fan.

The book is still out on you.

Whoa!! Slow your roll, kid. Billikenroy isn't going anywhere. He's one of the most die-hard Billiken fans out there and the fact that he's a Belleville loyalist shouldn't make a god damn bit of difference. Calling him out because he stood by a hometown guy is asinine and borders on the absurd. Roy brings a ton of insight and opinions to the board and has been posting on here way before you even knew what a Billiken was so I'm going to step into the box for Roy here because he's one of us -- a true fan. The book is still out on you.

Look who's talking... aren't you that one tool who got suspended from here, and came back with a different account?

Keefe said one of the comments that landed him in trouble was his remark that he had gotten “drunker than 10 big Indians.

“The truth of the matter is that to the extent that folks are after my scalp for saying inappropriate things, chances are the size of my mouth I might as well have said all of them,” he said.

He really likes to talk about Native Americans, I guess.

He really likes to talk about Native Americans, I guess.

jews like money.

blacks like big booties and chicken.

whites like coasting off what their parents have done.

indians like booze.

asians like driving HORRIBLY.

middle easterners like subjugating women and blowing sh!t up.

mexicans like drugs and lowrider trucks.

i hope i didn't miss anyone.

actually, i've always said, i like your average mexican the best of the lot, taking out the obvious sh!thead outliers. they work hard, are pretty damn friendly and very family-oriented.

keefe definitely shouldn't have said the sh!t he said in a professional setting, but hey, at least he's honest.