SLU Law moving downtown

And it isn't like Keefe runs a huge firm, either. It is him, his son and another attorney. That's it. He pretty much is the practice. It isn't as if he is able to rely on a team of attorneys to handle his caseload for him while he is acting dean of the law school.

And it's not like it's a law school humming along on cruise control in which you can have a figure head as dean for a year. You've got this abrupt change right before the fall term, you've got this rather quick decision to move the school off campus to a new building and all that must be involved with that, not to mention the fundraising expectations associated with the move,and I think we can assume the faculty must be in crisis mode right now.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bonwich - my guess is the board was not even consulted by biondi before the decision was made about the building. He doesn't include anyone on these things.

If that's true, if nothing else, the board is guilty of breach of fiduciary duty. There are at least a few lawyers on the board (although the board is a façade; the executive committee is the real power), and if any one of them had any sense of dignity, they'd be calling for an independent investigation immediately. I'll predict, however, that one or another major donor demands an independent audit before any of our fine guardians of the university's integrity lift a finger. The fact that the board hasn't jumped into this already speaks volumes.

And it's not like it's a law school humming along on cruise control in which you can have a figure head as dean for a year. You've got this abrupt change right before the fall term, you've got this rather quick decision to move the school off campus to a new building and all that must be involved with that, not to mention the fundraising expectations associated with the move,and I think we can assume the faculty must be in crisis mode right now.

The only "good" thing about this whole shitstorm is that it is happening when the campus is void of students, but you're right - we're just days away from the fall semester starting up and I'm sure a lot of incoming 1Lers are shitting their pants.

+1. Even if it is a small firm I think it will be impossible, I have never heard of a dean who runs his own law firm while being a dean. I just want a dean who will be fully committed to the law school, not just being there part-time. I think Biondi is scared to hire anyone from the law school because they know what is really going on and will not serve without more controversy between the school and Biondi.

Spare me the crap b Roy. Nark owes no apology to u. U regularly rip our coach, mis morals, his person, etc. But if anyone dare say anything about one of your Belleville buddies, u throw a fit. Sort of a double standard.

not to me. to tom keefe

Roy, I could care less if your Belleville pal gave a lung to save Mother Teresa, he still has no business being dean of the law school. As an alumnus of Saint Louis University, you should be disappointed with the appointment as well. That law school has wonderful academics, many of whom have ivy league educations and are routinely cited in scholarly publications. They have professors who have served on the Missouri Supreme Court and Federal appellate courts. Now all of these professors will work for an attorney with no academic credentials, but who has made a lot of money suing doctors and has donated some of that money to the school. He also believes rankings don't matter. It is a joke.

again, my fight isnt about his abilities to run the law school. i admit i am not qualified to make that judgement. again i take issue with your label of "extortionist". to label the man a felon is horrible and completely unfair.

again, my fight isnt about his abilities to run the law school. i admit i am not qualified to make that judgement. again i take issue with your label of "extortionist". to label the man a felon is horrible and completely unfair.

Roy, I have forgotten how absurd you can be. I made a sarcastic, editorial comment about the plaintiff's bar. Nowhere did I accuse anyone of being a felon or criminal. Your inability to read and understand context and tone is astounding.

If that's true, if nothing else, the board is guilty of breach of fiduciary duty. There are at least a few lawyers on the board (although the board is a façade; the executive committee is the real power), and if any one of them had any sense of dignity, they'd be calling for an independent investigation immediately. I'll predict, however, that one or another major donor demands an independent audit before any of our fine guardians of the university's integrity lift a finger. The fact that the board hasn't jumped into this already speaks volumes.

-would we necessarily know if the board is doing something or if an emergency meeting was called? i can see why they would release those details, if they exist, hey, we are looking into this and i can see why they would not as FrB is probably close to most if not all of them and they don;t want to shine a negative light on him, consider their perspective/relationship -- now they have to determine if they are performing their duties in a manner fit of a fiduciary

Roy, Nark's actual words were 'high profile, legal extortionist'. I bolded the word legal for emphasis, as that should be the indicator that he is not calling out somebody as a 'felon'. Basically, he is giving his opinion that personal injury lawyers are people who make a living extorting money from others within the confines of the law. I see nothing unfair or horrible about his statements. I think your outrage is a bit misplaced and clouded by the fact that you know Keefe and live in the same community.

Roy, I have forgotten how absurd you can be. I made a sarcastic, editorial comment about the plaintiff's bar. Nowhere did I accuse anyone of being a felon or criminal. Your inability to read and understand context and tone is astounding.

"not a high-profile, legal extortionist" were your exact words. i think that is astounding.

Roy, Nark's actual words were 'high profile, legal extortionist'. I bolded the word legal for emphasis, as that should be the indicator that he is not calling out somebody as a 'felon'. Basically, he is giving his opinion that personal injury lawyers are people who make a living extorting money from others within the confines of the law. I see nothing unfair or horrible about his statements. I think your outrage is a bit misplaced and clouded by the fact that you know Keefe and live in the same community.

i think nark's label used is uncalled for and should be retracted. the fact he refuses speaks volumes.

Roy, If you didn't keep carrying on about this eveyone else would have forgotten the statement. One mans' opinion. Only you keep dragging it through the mud. :ph34r:

Roy - if we're going to retract statements about personal injury lawyers then every slanderous comment you have made about our head coach's character needs to be removed. that might give you nothing to talk about but fair is fair.

tom keefe works in a very litigious practice. believe me, he has heard worse than anything nark said.

amazing how i become the bad guy in this for defending the honor of one saint louis university's biggest donors and a man that has donated so much to so many worthy causes. the basis for the rest of you defending narks horrible label is that the man stepped up to try to help the university and his chosen law specialty. whether he is capable or not of being the dean remains to be seen. probably not as more of you are apparently more in tune with what is necessary to run a law school than i most certainly am. but in my eyes, that is a noble gesture on his part and doesnt deserve the arrows and shots he has gotten.

if you all want to rip biondi, have at it. i am not defending him on the way this has transpired. but i will defend mr keefe who is innocent of the label he has been fixed with. what would have been fair is to say tom keefe is a plaintiff attorney with no apparent academic credentials or experience. i would have had no problem with that, but extortionist is wrong. and sorry if you all dont approve of me defending a man in a family i am very familiar with and know to be a generous giving man with an excellent and very successful career.

i will say this about the needed experience as a true "teacher". other than avis meyer, there isnt one teacher in my lifetime that at this point in my life i would rank in my greatest real "teachers". i have numerous mentor's, bosses, business associates and even rivals that have taught me far more in my life than any college or high school teacher. NOTHING is a better teacher than experience. and the opportunity to learn from someone as successful as a tom keefe is likely a very good experience. whether he truly has teaching skills and the patience to deal with the paperwork and the managing up with Biondi is definitely a question that one can ponder. i guess time will tell. enough have now defended nark over me on this issue that as drkelsey has pointed out, i guess i am doing more harm than good defending tom keefe. so i retire from this thread.

amazing how i become the bad guy in this for defending the honor of one saint louis university's biggest donors and a man that has donated so much to so many worthy causes. the basis for the rest of you defending narks horrible label is that the man stepped up to try to help the university and his chosen law specialty. whether he is capable or not of being the dean remains to be seen. probably not as more of you are apparently more in tune with what is necessary to run a law school than i most certainly am. but in my eyes, that is a noble gesture on his part and doesnt deserve the arrows and shots he has gotten.

if you all want to rip biondi, have at it. i am not defending him on the way this has transpired. but i will defend mr keefe who is innocent of the label he has been fixed with. what would have been fair is to say tom keefe is a plaintiff attorney with no apparent academic credentials or experience. i would have had no problem with that, but extortionist is wrong. and sorry if you all dont approve of me defending a man in a family i am very familiar with and know to be a generous giving man with an excellent and very successful career.

i will say this about the needed experience as a true "teacher". other than avis meyer, there isnt one teacher in my lifetime that at this point in my life i would rank in my greatest real "teachers". i have numerous mentor's, bosses, business associates and even rivals that have taught me far more in my life than any college or high school teacher. NOTHING is a better teacher than experience. and the opportunity to learn from someone as successful as a tom keefe is likely a very good experience. whether he truly has teaching skills and the patience to deal with the paperwork and the managing up with Biondi is definitely a question that one can ponder. i guess time will tell. enough have now defended nark over me on this issue that as drkelsey has pointed out, i guess i am doing more harm than good defending tom keefe. so i retire from this thread.

+100 if it's just "one man's opinion," as drkelsey55 so eloquently put Nark's statement, then you should be entitled to your opinion as well, Roy. All this is is speculation. Five years from now, maybe we'll be praising Keefe as the man who turned around a dying enterprise. Or maybe we'll be writing his epitaph with an "I told you so." Give it time, people.

Tom Keefe is not only an excellent attorney, but also an honorable man. He's also one of the smartest guys you'll meet.I'm surprised he's willing to do it. I'm sure he will do an excellent job. He's a straight shooter who will ruffle some feathers along the way, but get the job done.

Tom Keefe is not only an excellent attorney, but also an honorable man. He's also one of the smartest guys you'll meet.I'm surprised he's willing to do it. I'm sure he will do an excellent job. He's a straight shooter who will ruffle some feathers along the way, but get the job done.

I'm not sure anyone is really debating whether he is a good man or attorney. It sounds like people are asking whether he is qualified to run a law school, even on an interim basis.

one time i was with keefe in the back of a pickup truck, along with a live deer. keefe goes up to the deer and says, 'I'm tom keefe! SAY IT!' then he manipulates the deer's lips in such a way as to make it say, 'tomkeefe'... it wasn't exactly like it, but it was pretty good for a deer!

Posted Image

I'm not sure anyone is really debating whether he is a good man or attorney. It sounds like people are asking whether he is qualified to run a law school, even on an interim basis.

This is accurate, but it also goes to the perception the interim hire gives. Nark touched on this, but this would be unheard of for a highly ranked law school or even a mid-tier one that aspires to improve its rankings. You couple this with the former dean's allegation that BIondi blew off the site visit by the ranking group and Keefe himself expressed a desire not to focus so much on rankings and it sends a signal that SLU is not really interest in improving its rankings. Now you can argue that it should not be so focused on rankings, but since its ranking has dropped since Nark (and I) graduated it sounds more like throwing in the towel and just saying the hell with rankings altogether.

Maybe SLU wants to become just a well thought of school at churning out trial lawyers. That's probably not such a bad thing I suppose, but traditionally SLU has also turned out good corporate lawyers, like Nark, healthcare lawyers, estate planners, IP lawyers, etc. Not every student at SLU wants to be a trial lawyer, nor does every applicant. I would also question whether SLU can continue to attract quality applicants at $36k per year and rising with an attitude that says the heck with ratings.Just my two cents here.

I could see bringing in a guy like Keefe oversee and spearhead a really top notch trial ad program from top to bottom, on an interim basis. Not so much run an entire law school on an interim basis.

Then again, maybe SLU law is just on the cuttin edge of evolving into more of a speciality law school. Perhaps only the top tier schools will survive as full service, full range of practice law schools I don't know, As an alum, it's sad to see, but perhaps change is inevitable.