Athleticism

slu72

In the UNC-UNLV post below someone pointed out that our athelticism is way below that of those two schools. Don't doubt it for a minute. In fact, I'd suggest that from a purely athletic point of view we're probably not going to play many teams where we are the more athletic team. That said, we've probably got more athleticism going for us than we have in quite a few years, but it doesn't seem to matter much when you're playing smart basketball. Of the games I've seen; UW, Nova, and BC, I'd say UW and Nova clearly had better athletes. Didn't matter we still won. As for BC, I'd say, especially with our guards, we were the more athletic team. I'm expecting OK to have a whole bunch of athletes tonight, but as we've shown our smart play can beat athleticism and beat them by a bunch, witness UW and to a lesser extent Nova. Point being, having a great group of athletes on the floor can be beat by a team playing solid basketball on both ends of the court. And that's what I'm expecting tonight. Go Bills!!!!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saying athleticism doesn't matter is probably taking the point too far. Several components go into a winning team. Athleticism is one. Shooting is another. Disciplined team play is another. Decrease one component and you must increase the others to reach the same result. We only excel in one category right now--discipline team play--but I think our athleticism is underrated. Wayns was about to defeat us on his own until Jett entered the game. Jett, McCall, Mitchell, and Evans are all athletic players but only Jett combines size with his athleticism. We're able to put enough athleticism out on the floor to hang with big, quick teams. It's crucial to our ability to stay in these games long enough for our disciplined play to take over.

Saying athleticism doesn't matter is probably taking the point too far. Several components go into a winning team. Athleticism is one. Shooting is another. Disciplined team play is another. Decrease one component and you must increase the others to reach the same result. We only excel in one category right now--discipline team play--but I think our athleticism is underrated. Wayns was about to defeat us on his own until Jett entered the game. Jett, McCall, Mitchell, and Evans are all athletic players but only Jett combines size with his athleticism. We're able to put enough athleticism out on the floor to hang with big, quick teams. It's crucial to our ability to stay in these games long enough for our disciplined play to take over.

I agree with that. Remekun is also a good athlete.

In summary, all the black dudes are athletic, white guys not so much.

Lol.

One thing about Majerus lead teams when he's been successful is he's found a good mix of athletes and skill players. I think it's important to have a combination of both, and it seems like we do. Our "athletes" have also played very smart, mistake free ball so far this season.

Lol.

One thing about Majerus lead teams when he's been successful is he's found a good mix of athletes and skill players. I think it's important to have a combination of both, and it seems like we do. Our "athletes" have also played very smart, mistake free ball so far this season.

Healthy BC has been very athletic.

If athleticism is what basketball is all about then the SEC teams would be NCAA champs most of the time. Not the case.

As to athleticism, KM is right up there with the best. Believe our other guys are also more athletic than some apparently are suggesting.

As for disciplined team play, yes we have it. Athleticism, yes we are holding our own against the BCS schools. As for shooting, do some not realize that our team is shooting 48% from the field (opponents only 38%) and 43% from the 3 (opponents only 29%).

Just curious. What is considered good shooting? I'd suggest if we continue to make every other shot and to knock down 43% from the 3 point line, we will win most all of our games.

We could certainly afford to be more athletic. CE and RL are both below average athletes. The last two years we were unathletic and small however our guys have beefed up now which helps. And you wouldn't trade our skill and iq for more athleticism. With more wons we can recruit better athletes but try and continue with smart basketball players

We could certainly afford to be more athletic. CE and RL are both below average athletes. The last two years we were unathletic and small however our guys have beefed up now which helps. And you wouldn't trade our skill and iq for more athleticism. With more wons we can recruit better athletes but try and continue with smart basketball players

you mean more wins?? i will take the iq

Was the Nova guard Waynns or whatever his name was more athletic than Jett?

What is athleticism? Speed, jumping ability? Does strength count?

The fact that we play up in the body of our opponents guards and they can't/don't just beat us off the dribble tells me our guards are pretty strong and have quick feet

Wrong. If you compare Loe to other 6-11 players, he is quite athletic.

Wrong. If you compare Loe to other 6-11 players, he is quite athletic.

Disagree. But he's certainly more skilled than many.

You can be very athletic and have a good basketball iq and thats when you get the best teams.

I am amazed at how little your really know about basketball. Obviously, you have never played or coached and you just spout out your opinions like you are the oracle of basketball. This team just won 6 games by double digits and dominated teams with your so called superior athletes. Washington has three or four NBA first round draft choices and yet we absolutely destroyed them. Villanova is big and strong and tough and we won big. Oklahoma looked like world beaters in their early games but we beat them by 20 points. The fact is that good tough smart players who can defend and shoot will always be able to compete at a high level. look at Larry Bird and Kevin McHale--they would never meet your definition of great athletes yet they were great players who knew how to compete and win. Even Magic Johnson was not a high flying athlete but he was a brilliant player who saw things that no one else saw. Even last year's NBA champs had an MVP who is not a great athlete but he is a smart player who can shoot who competes hard. Ellis and Low are getting better every day. Conklin is playing fantastic. KM, KC and JJ have proven they can compete with your so called athletes. This is maybe the best set of game performances by a Billiken team in 40 years when you consider the competition and the level of dominance. I want these kind of players not your pie in the sky new recruiting focus for athletes.

I am amazed at how little your really know about basketball. Obviously, you have never played or coached and you just spout out your opinions like you are the oracle of basketball. This team just won 6 games by double digits and dominated teams with your so called superior athletes. Washington has three or four NBA first round draft choices and yet we absolutely destroyed them. Villanova is big and strong and tough and we won big. Oklahoma looked like world beaters in their early games but we beat them by 20 points. The fact is that good tough smart players who can defend and shoot will always be able to compete at a high level. look at Larry Bird and Kevin McHale--they would never meet your definition of great athletes yet they were great players who knew how to compete and win. Even Magic Johnson was not a high flying athlete but he was a brilliant player who saw things that no one else saw. Even last year's NBA champs had an MVP who is not a great athlete but he is a smart player who can shoot who competes hard. Ellis and Low are getting better every day. Conklin is playing fantastic. KM, KC and JJ have proven they can compete with your so called athletes. This is maybe the best set of game performances by a Billiken team in 40 years when you consider the competition and the level of dominance. I want these kind of players not your pie in the sky new recruiting focus for athletes.

Give him a break Billikan. High school is tough, and he is still trying to figure out what Cody Ellis brings to this team. Besides excellent shooting and 10 ppg...