Bills offer Smith

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What isn't? The vagueness of your posts baffles me.

Mods, please lock this thread.

This is f'n hilarious. You start a sh*tstorm in this thread and now you are begging for it to be locked. I'm guessing you want it locked before you say something that will get you banned.

After I pointed out that their Facebook page said "Your Ultimate Atlantic 10 Recruiting Resource" and questioned what authority dubbed them "The Ultimate," they have now changed it to a more humble "A foremost resource for Atlantic 10 recruiting coverage." As someone involved in branding and marketing operations for several Fortune 500 companies, you can't just call yourself "The Ultimate" or "The Best" without citing a publication or an industry authority, i.e. if Nissan came out and said the new Altima was "The Best Luxury Car in America," they'd have to have that backed by JD Power or Car & Driver, etc. There has to be accountability.

No they wouldn't. They would only have to back it up if they claimed someone else called it the best.

It is just like a movie calling itself the funniest movie of the summer. They don't have to back it up with a study.

Your marketing and branding skills suck as bad as your posting skills.

Edited by brianstl

Big Daddys, the Best Bar in the whole wide world.

First of all, I was comparing a company like Nissan North America, not a hole-in-the-wall bar.

Second, if you happen to work for a company that has compliance guidelines to its branding like Nissan does over 1200-something dealerships in North America, you pay close attention to these things. You caught me on a bad day. Our office lets something slip like a dealership calling itself "the Ultimate Nissan dealer in Orange County" without any sort of citation, we lose business. My eyes are trained to it.

Carry on with your bashing.

This is f'n hilarious. You start a sh*tstorm in this thread and now you are begging for it to be locked. I'm guessing you want it locked before you say something that will get you banned.

Wash, rinse, repeat. Different thread, same story.

Mods, time to take action.

In a previous thread, NH touted his ACT and SAT scores to give himself credibility on this board in regards to whether he was mature enough to express certain opinions. It ended up becoming something of a joke in later threads. Him repeating the score inevitably distracts from any point he is trying to make. Instead, it can come across as a young kid puffing his chest out about his accomplishments.

I used to go back and forth on what I admire most about NH... was it his 35 on the ACT or his remarkable recruiting insights... but after much deliberation, I think what I admire most about him is his humility. ;)

No they wouldn't. They would only have to back it up if they claimed someone else called it the best.

It is just like a movie calling itself the funniest movie of the summer. They don't have to back it up with a study.

Your marketing and branding skills suck as bad as your posting skills.

No, but they would have to say it was from Peter Travers of Rolling Stone, or the like.

Just because some south county white trash guy said "The Hangover" was the best movie ever doesn't mean I'm taking it for face value. What authority is he?

According to a recent Gallup Poll, Metz has a .0000005% approval rating. It would've been lower but OBL was alive when sampling began.....

for the record, I haven't used any vulgarity, slurs or anything else that have caused prior banishment from this board. If being a cynic is causation for being banned, all of you should be banned.

No, but they would have to say it was from Peter Travers of Rolling Stone, or the like.

Just because some south county white trash guy said "The Hangover" was the best movie ever doesn't mean I'm taking it for face value. What authority is he?

You really don't understand how marketing works do you? You can make any claim you want to as long as it is subjective claim. Claiming to be the best is subjective and depends on one persons perspective. Different people value different things.

Nobody is stating you have to take that claim at face value, but don't go claim you are some kind of marketing expert and that you need to cite some kind of authority before making a subjective claim. Doing that makes you look like a fool.

You really don't understand how marketing works do you? You can make any claim you want to as long as it is subjective claim. Claiming to be the best is subjective and depends on one persons perspective. Different people value different things.

Nobody is stating you have to take that claim at face value, but don't go claim you are some kind of marketing expert and that you need to cite some kind of authority before making a subjective claim. Doing that makes you look like a fool.

Where did I claim I was a marketing expert? Care to back that statement up? I have a degree in political science/poli journalism and have worked my way into p.r./marketing. I am far from an expert. I'll be the first one to admit that.

Actually, yep. :lol:

This.

And, hence, some will appreciate any information and others won't be as appreciative and accepting. Pretty simple stuff.

This is Alex Kline stuff, and to some that's not a compliment.

Credibility increases when getting out on the road to see players play, learning the game etc... Credibility increases when not taking internet info from others and then making a follow up phone call about it to repeat mostly old information. Credibility increases breaking your own story and stories out in the field.

Where did I claim I was a marketing expert? Care to back that statement up? I have a degree in political science/poli journalism and have worked my way into p.r./marketing. I am far from an expert. I'll be the first one to admit that.

As someone involved in branding and marketing operations for several Fortune 500 companies, you can't just call yourself "The Ultimate" or "The Best" without citing a publication or an industry authority, i.e. if Nissan came out and said the new Altima was "The Best Luxury Car in America," they'd have to have that backed by JD Power or Car & Driver, etc. There has to be accountability.

for the record, I haven't used any vulgarity, slurs or anything else that have caused prior banishment from this board. If being a cynic is causation for being banned, all of you should be banned.

Below is an earlier quote of yours about the blog:

Their blog is a slap in the face to the profession.

You also questioned their credibility and wanted transparency when the blog itself states the two people running it and also presents their credentials. You then have spent additional time trying to discredit the blog and the people running it. It has gone well past cynicism.

Below is an earlier quote of yours about the blog:

Their blog is a slap in the face to the profession.

You also questioned their credibility and wanted transparency when the blog itself states the two people running it and also presents their credentials. You then have spent additional time trying to discredit the blog and the people running it. It has gone well past cynicism.

It's a slap in the face to people like Nate who have spent hours away from their families at AAU events, open gyms, etc., building a personal rapport with coaches and ballplayers. That's the old-fashioned and the most professional way of establishing credibility. Someone like Nate will get a break on a story because a coach trusts him and will call him up at 1 AM. All I was trying to do was make a point that we live in an era where there is zero accountability in the media and anyone with a blog is considered an authority. That we find ourselves living in an era where people believe Perez Hilton, Jon Stewart and TMZ is simply unacceptable.

The fact that in mere minutes, someone can build a website and a Facebook page and call them themselves "The Ultimate A-10 Recruiting Resource" should raise flags. It does for me.

There are other people on this board who are in agreement with me. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned. My bad.

I say bs to your ACT claim. You obviously lack reading comprehension skills. Or, you have such a personal agenda that you choose to read what you want to read. Go back to my post and you will see that I said we were the first to see Bradley Beal play. As you know, Mr. Beal has been playing local AAU ball for years. Don't tell me that the local basketball community did not know that this was a special kid back in 7th and 8th grade. Then, his Freshman year at Chaminade was very impressive and the rest is history. Don't also tell me that the local schools (SLU, Mizzou, Illini...) don't have connections all throughout St. Louis watching kids. If you really think that Billy Donovan and Florida were the first to watch him, then you just don't get it. Our advantage with Beal is that he was local and we not only saw him first but had the chance to see him often. If still remember Frank C. doing a 20 second spot on Chaminade's Beal his Freshman year saying how good he will be. If I watched him on the local news, then surely SLU did as well.

If you also think Donovan and Florida were the first to "recruit" him, then you are ignoring the informal recruiting which routinely goes on behind the scenes prior to the official recruiting in a kid's Junior year. You sit at your laptop and read numerous Internet, and as a result, think you are some basketball expert. Instead, you are a joke.

BTW, and IMO, when you watch enough basketball, follow enough recruiting cycles, enjoy enough birthdays and have children of your own, then you can start referring to these 16, 17 and 18 years olds as "kids" like I do. Right now, they are are your age.

As a freshman Beal scored 8 points a game and was the second best freshman on his own team. I saw him play in 7th grade and 8th grade and while he was obviously very good, he was nowhere near as dominant respective to his age as he is now. Nate Latsch saw him play at SLU's team camp heading into freshman year and told the SLU coaching staff he thought he could be a player, but we did not begin recruiting him until after Florida and Illinois had already jumped in. That is what I know of the situation.

I don't really care if you buy my ACT score. Like I said, the tests are dumb and don't mean much in the grand scheme of things. That said, I got a 36 on reading comprehension section, although I feel no urge to prove that to you.

I am a joke? I'm pretty sure I watch more basketball, follow more basketball and play more basketball than you do. I don't really know what you mean by saying I'm a joke (that wasn't an ACT question) but I feel confident in my understanding of how basketball works I don't really care if you agree.

I will call the kids whatever I want to call them but I appreciate your concern.

It's a slap in the face to people like Nate who have spent hours away from their families at AAU events, open gyms, etc., building a personal rapport with coaches and ballplayers. That's the old-fashioned and the most professional way of establishing credibility. Someone like Nate will get a break on a story because a coach trusts him and will call him up at 1 AM. All I was trying to do was make a point that we live in an era where there is zero accountability in the media and anyone with a blog is considered an authority. That we find ourselves living in an era where people believe Perez Hilton, Jon Stewart and TMZ is simply unacceptable.

The fact that in mere minutes, someone can build a website and a Facebook page and call them themselves "The Ultimate A-10 Recruiting Resource" should raise flags. It does for me.

There are other people on this board who are in agreement with me. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned. My bad.

There are a number of issues I have with your defense of your initial argument, Metz. First off, while on the face it would seem that these are easy targets, maybe you should step back and take a look. While I don't like gossip journalism, you do realize that both Perez Hilton and TMZ typically break a lot of stories due to their sources and that other news publications site them as sources. While they started on the internet as celebrity bloggers, they have enough 'inside sources' and people on the street to actually get first run information (see also Deadspin.) Not sure why you placed Jon Stewart with them, as he merely comments on current events and then interviews someone at the end of his show. His is of the tradition of the Weekend Update on SNL as well as late night talk shows.

Basically, a blog has to start somewhere. The fact that one of the writers currently writes for the UNews and the other one wrote for Nate on the BillikenReport states that they do have some credibility and most likely have more sources than just trolling the internet. It seems to me that you hammered them for the sole purpose of gaining attention for yourself and not to be some fighter for the old ways of journalism. Besides, aren't you the same guy that started firebradsoderberg.com and also tried to start other blogs? With that in mind, I would think you would be more supportive of two enterprising young men with journalistic ties to the Billikens trying to get a Billiken blog off of the ground...

Not sure why you placed Jon Stewart with them, as he merely comments on current events and then interviews someone at the end of his show. His is of the tradition of the Weekend Update on SNL as well as late night talk shows.

That's a slap in the face to Chevy Chase.

After I pointed out that their Facebook page said "Your Ultimate Atlantic 10 Recruiting Resource" and questioned what authority dubbed them "The Ultimate," they have now changed it to a more humble "A foremost resource for Atlantic 10 recruiting coverage." As someone involved in branding and marketing operations for several Fortune 500 companies, you can't just call yourself "The Ultimate" or "The Best" without citing a publication or an industry authority, i.e. if Nissan came out and said the new Altima was "The Best Luxury Car in America," they'd have to have that backed by JD Power or Car & Driver, etc.

There has to be accountability.

Aren't they the ultimate by default. They are the only source of recruiting information at this time. They are doing a lot of work for free and sharing the information with us. You shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.