Bills offer Smith

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No D-1 offers-even the lesser programs. This kid hasn't even accepted our offer yet. If he does it is a wasted scholarship. Wish if they can't get better talent they'd hold the scholarship until fall.

It is discouraging that we have 2 open scholies and our primary spring target goes BCS to a program that could end up on probation. I never thought RM would be a top recruiter ala Calipari, Pitino, et al. He wasn't at Utah. He found gems in the rough and taught them how to be a top notch team. He seemed to have us headed in that direction in 09-10 and then hit a speed bump. Really more like a land mine. Then when WR decides school isn't his thing, we hit another pot hole in the quest to make the dance. This offer seems to me to be a concession that we're done for the spring. Winters isn't coming and the German kid signing is probably unlikely. Heck we don' t even know if he's been released. Supposedly he's been contacted by some biggies and we weren't mentioned as even sending him a text message. So, we're still left with the question, will we be strong enough to sneak into next year's dance? It's doubtful given the lack of a strong inside presence. Yeah, it's a guard's game, but unless they're Villanova quality guards, every team needs at least a semblance of an inside presence. Here's hoping our bigs develop over the summer and provide it, because right now they're all we've got.

Majerus has simply lost his mojo. Swimming laps in the Chase Park pool isn't going to help. You never hear about Coach Cal or Pitino's workout programs. Their workout program is building great recruiting classes. Great that Majerus is hitting the lap lane at the pool, but it's get rich or die trying. Let's go, Rick. Start doing what you came here to do.

It is discouraging that we have 2 open scholies and our primary spring target goes BCS to a program that could end up on probation. I never thought RM would be a top recruiter ala Calipari, Pitino, et al. He wasn't at Utah. He found gems in the rough and taught them how to be a top notch team. He seemed to have us headed in that direction in 09-10 and then hit a speed bump. Really more like a land mine. Then when WR decides school isn't his thing, we hit another pot hole in the quest to make the dance. This offer seems to me to be a concession that we're done for the spring. Winters isn't coming and the German kid signing is probably unlikely. Heck we don' t even know if he's been released. Supposedly he's been contacted by some biggies and we weren't mentioned as even sending him a text message. So, we're still left with the question, will we be strong enough to sneak into next year's dance? It's doubtful given the lack of a strong inside presence. Yeah, it's a guard's game, but unless they're Villanova quality guards, every team needs at least a semblance of an inside presence. Here's hoping our bigs develop over the summer and provide it, because right now they're all we've got.

+100 Ask Butler how not having bigs worked against CT. No matter how great the guard play you will not win without the inside presence.

Of course, Butler went about 2-30 during one stretch of the game. No doubt, their bigs were overmatched, but I think the inability to hit any outside shot sealed their fate more than anything.

Also, let's not forget, this was the friggin' national championship game. I'd probably first ask Butler how it felt to be in back-to-back national title games with inferior big men.

+100 Ask Butler how not having bigs worked against CT. No matter how great the guard play you will not win without the inside presence.

Yea, Butler is weak... :blink:

Good to know Smith is a lights out shooter. Did anyone tell him that SLU is where jumpshots come to die... :D

Of course, Butler went about 2-30 during one stretch of the game. No doubt, their bigs were overmatched, but I think the inability to hit any outside shot sealed their fate more than anything.

Also, let's not forget, this was the friggin' national championship game. I'd probably first ask Butler how it felt to be in back-to-back national title games with inferior big men.

+1 Great points, moytoy.

Me to. Being realistic we got killed many times last year because we lacked the inside presence. I agree that we would have changed places with Butler in a heartbeat. However, I'm not so sure how Butler would do in a more competetive league where they would face taller more athletic competetion frequently. We cannot continually look for and count on guards to carry us to the promised land without help on the inside.

Me to. Being realistic we got killed many times last year because we lacked the inside presence. I agree that we would have changed places with Butler in a heartbeat. However, I'm not so sure how Butler would do in a more competetive league where they would face taller more athletic competetion frequently. We cannot continually look for and count on guards to carry us to the promised land without help on the inside.

Yeah! Cause its not like Butler had to play any athletic teams on the way to BACK TO BACK national championship games.

God I get sick of people saying the mid-major teams couldn't compete in BCS leagues. Give me a freaking break.

Butler shot absolutely awful against UCONN. They might win that game even if they have a bad shooting night.

But yes, I don't think anyone can disagree with you completely. We need a strong inside player.

Okay where do you think they would stand in the Big East, Big 10 and Big 12 and ACC if they played that competetion. They had two great runs in the tournament and they didn't have to bang out with more physical teams two to three times a week during the regular season to get there.

Okay where do you think they would stand in the Big East, Big 10 and Big 12 and ACC if they played that competetion. They had two great runs in the tournament and they didn't have to bang out with more physical teams two to three times a week during the regular season to get there.

You can look at that both ways. If they played that kind of competition regularly, they would probably be even better and more prepared for the tournament. But also if they played that kind of competition regularly, they may not make the tournament.

Without really giving it much thought at all, I could see Butler in the top 4 in the ACC. Top 5 in the Big 10. Top 4 in the Big 12. Obviously they would struggle in the Big East, but I don think they could be top 10 which would probably get them in the tournament.

They clearly proved they were better than the 5 seed they got in 2010 and 8 seed they got last year. So at a minimum they would have finished ahead of the "typical" Big East team that got a 5 seed in 2010 or 8 seed in 2011.

Personally, I believe their mid-major status probably led to the underseeding so I think if they had played in the Big East they would have finished high enough to earn seeds even better than they were given.

Guest BillikenReport

Between hearing SLU was considering offering Thomas and then offering this kid, that doesn't say much for SLU's recruiting efforts this spring.

This kid seems a lot like Eckerle, who contributed more at SLU than I really expected he would and deserves credit for contributions to the program that most people don't realize. But there weren't many minutes available for Eckerle last season and there don't seem to be many minutes available for this kid either behind Mitchell (two more seasons), Barnett (three more seasons), McCall (three more seasons) and Jett (three more seasons).

So you're basically recruiting a kid to sit on the bench and practice. That tells me the Billikens don't have many other options with recruiting this spring and Majerus is trying to fill out the roster.

Between hearing SLU was considering offering Thomas and then offering this kid, that doesn't say much for SLU's recruiting efforts this spring.

This kid seems a lot like Eckerle, who contributed more at SLU than I really expected he would and deserves credit for contributions to the program that most people don't realize. But there weren't many minutes available for Eckerle last season and there don't seem to be many minutes available for this kid either behind Mitchell (two more seasons), Barnett (three more seasons), McCall (three more seasons) and Jett (three more seasons).

So you're basically recruiting a kid to sit on the bench and practice. That tells me the Billikens don't have many other options with recruiting this spring and Majerus is trying to fill out the roster.

Your assessment of the kid is probably right but perhaps we offered him only for a year - who knows the whole story. The problem we have had is that Cunzo Martin left SMS and Chievous went to TN because he was there. He would probably never have gone to SMS even with Martin there. It was another Harrelson deal. The loss of PM at this crucial time was also a key problem but we will have time now to recover from that for the fall. What we need right now is our current bigs to step up - CR has to play to his potential no excuses anymore. RL has to improve and there is no reason to believe he won't. CE will have a summer of no illness and plenty of time to recover so we should expect a return to his Freshman year level at the very least. BC showed that he can carry more of a load - while not great he is not bad either. Manning - well with a freshman big who knows. At this time, i am OK with keeping the two schollies and having four for the fall. We have shown that we can bring in numbers for the fall and really this spring was the only one we did not do well in. With a good year next season we can make hay recruiting.

Excellent point, billboy1. It would be interesting to see if a BCS conference were to call on Butler if they would go. From a facilities standpoint, Butler isn't that impressive. The money would be a big thing...an upgrade in facilities would certainly help, but they would be absolutely annihilated in football and basketball success is a toss-up. Then again, they could be an everything-but-football like St. John's/Georgetown.

Nate. Have you lost all your connections? No more interest in seriously investigating what SLU is doing or not doing? Instead, just reading what nameless posters speculate to then slam RM/SLU with a comment like "doesn't say much for SLU's recruiting efforts this spring?" Key word is effort and not results.

To me, it doesn't make sense. If SLU has indeed offered a full athletic scholarship, w/o any conditions attached, to a kid who has not really received ANY other offers, are we to believe that this kid does not immediately jump and accept the offer? or that he is still waiting to make up his mind? Let's see, full-ride scholarship to SLU v. walk-on elsewhere and pay my own way? To which he rplies: "Hey guys (RM/SLU), let me have a few days to think this one over. It's a big decision you know..." :lol:

Nate. Have you lost all your connections? No more interest in seriously investigating what SLU is doing or not doing? Instead, just reading what nameless posters speculate to then slam RM/SLU with a comment like "doesn't say much for SLU's recruiting efforts this spring?" Key word is effort and not results.

To me, it doesn't make sense. If SLU has indeed offered a full athletic scholarship, w/o any conditions attached, to a kid who has not really received ANY other offers, are we to believe that this kid does not immediately jump and accept the offer? or that he is still waiting to make up his mind? Let's see, full-ride scholarship to SLU v. walk-on elsewhere and pay my own way? To which he rplies: "Hey guys (RM/SLU), let me have a few days to think this one over. It's a big decision you know..." :lol:

I think Nate has relegated his duties to the UNews Sports Desk spin-off which is "Heard this Blog."

Clock_Tower I don't know if you are seriously calling out one of the only sources for Billiken-related info for the past three years.

And you never know, perhaps the kid would rather go play for a perennial tournament team as a walk-on than go to a 12-19 team in the A-10 and pay for tuition.

And Nate has a full-time job working for the Post-Dispatch so excuse him for not keeping up on all his Billiken recruiting tidbits.

Guest BillikenReport

I have plenty of connections. I just don't have time to spend looking into this stuff.

This looks like a roster-filling move to me, similar to when Soderberg signed Anthony Mitchell.