Mizzou getting Punk'd by Painter

@FOX59: BREAKING: Fox59's Chris Hagan has learned Purdue Head Basketball Coach Matt Painter will be STAYING at Purdue...

@ESPN1450: Just received word Matt #Painter will remain as coach at #Purdue. Again, from a source, Painter will remain at #Purdue.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SLU fans will rejoice on that piece of news. Andy Katz and now the Indy Star are reporting that Painter is indeed remaining at Purdue. This is a kick in the gut for Mizzou and Miklasz's rep takes a hit. However, Miklasz will survive and I still value his work as a columnist and reporter.

Contrary to popular opinion, I do not want Shaka Smart as the next Tiger coach. So ACE, if that happens, then you will finally see me criticize an Alden hire. Rather than focus on one hot streak, I'd focus more on his 4th place finish in CAA and his inexperience. Other than Smart, I just don't see an "big-name" hire, but that's not necessary to be successful. There's no way Stevens is coming to Columbia, and I think Alden learned from the Quin experiment that Pastner is not the answer.

Update on Indy Star:

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110330/SPORTS0602/110330005/Matt-Painter-staying-Purdue?odyssey=mod|breaking|text|IndyStar.com

Not sure this qualifies as getting "punked" but okay. I think it was always a longshot, and the fact that it got as far as it did is somewhat of a victory for Mike Alden. I'm certainly disappointed that he's not gonna be the HC but doesn't mean there aren't other good candidates.

Not sure this qualifies as getting "punked" but okay. I think it was always a longshot, and the fact that it got as far as it did is somewhat of a victory for Mike Alden. I'm certainly disappointed that he's not gonna be the HC but doesn't mean there aren't other good candidates.

Cow, I was going for the alliteration factor. Punk'd might not be the best choice of word, maybe "played by Painter" would have been better or "Alden left to dry by Painter."

Almost only counts in horseshoes and handgrenades.

Back to irrelevance mizzou.

When you can hire a guy that finished 4th in a midmajor conference to big money after a hot two weekends, I think you have to pony up.

Cow, I was going for the alliteration factor. Punk'd might not be the best choice of word, maybe "played by Painter" would have been better or "Alden left to dry by Painter."

Yeah but what was Alden supposed to do if not aggressively go after his #1 target? Can't assume everyone's leveraging you for more money where they're at. Like I said- disappointed but still hopefully Alden will make it work. He's only ever hired one bad coach across all sports.

Whether Painter takes the job or not doesn't matter. A school doesn't need to get its first or 5th choice. It just needs to get it correct. Example: Sean Miller was waaaaaaaay far down on the list of choices at Arizona. That one seems to be off to a pretty good start.

Whether Painter takes the job or not doesn't matter. A school doesn't need to get its first or 5th choice. It just needs to get it correct. Example: Sean Miller was waaaaaaaay far down on the list of choices at Arizona. That one seems to be off to a pretty good start.

Agreed.

SLU fans will rejoice on that piece of news. Andy Katz and now the Indy Star are reporting that Painter is indeed remaining at Purdue. This is a kick in the gut for Mizzou and Miklasz's rep takes a hit. However, Miklasz will survive and I still value his work as a columnist and reporter.

Contrary to popular opinion, I do not want Shaka Smart as the next Tiger coach. So ACE, if that happens, then you will finally see me criticize an Alden hire. Rather than focus on one hot streak, I'd focus more on his 4th place finish in CAA and his inexperience. Other than Smart, I just don't see an "big-name" hire, but that's not necessary to be successful. There's no way Stevens is coming to Columbia, and I think Alden learned from the Quin experiment that Pastner is not the answer.

Update on Indy Star:

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110330/SPORTS0602/110330005/Matt-Painter-staying-Purdue?odyssey=mod|breaking|text|IndyStar.com

Some SLU fans like Mizzou. Some don't. And, some are indifferent...whether here on this board, a tiny miniscule mixed fraction of SLU fans or elsewhere. It always be diverse.

Some SLU fans like Mizzou. Some don't. And, some are indifferent...whether here on this board, a tiny miniscule mixed fraction of SLU fans or elsewhere. It always be diverse.

Count me in the indifferent category on Mizzou; however, Painter's decision to stay at his alma mater did not surprise me in the least bit contrary to all the bad information BM was fed. He needs to tweak his sources a bit. No surprise that Purdue came up with a sweet matching offer. Do agree with the sentiment that all Mizzou has to do is come up with the right candidate. It would be nice if that new dude would decide to finally renew the SLU-Mizzou series but I won't hold my breath on that one.

I'm loving this.

Mizzou can't wait on Smart and get burned again. Must make the safe hire, that won't be as good, Ben Jacobson or Kevin Stallings.

I'm loving this too!!

Another rejection from the Big 10!! First by the Big 10 conference and now by a Big 10 coach. Longterm, the Big 10 is much more stable and much more lucrative financially than the Big 12. Yes, Purdue has competition from IU, ND and others but Painter already knew that. In fact, with Painter's connections, he can still come to St. Louis and recruit the local kids. If local basketball players are like the local soccer kids who leave town for IU, then what's the big deal. In my opinion, Mizzou (the school) is not the great attraction for the St. Louis and the Southern Illinois recruiting prospect. Just like anything, it is the coach, the other players, the playing opportunity, the exposure/opportunity to play in a big conference, on TV and against good schools. So far, the St. Louis and Southern IL has not really wanted to play for Mizzou under Stewart, Snyder or Anderson. They would have under Painter.

The Painter family, though, now has 700,000 reasons each year for the next 8 years to thank good ole Mizzou and Mike Alden. The worst (best) part of this is that Mizzou has been rejected by its own coach who found Arkansas and the SEC more attractive and now by a lesser Big 10 profile program - Purdue. Now, Mizzou will probably have to overpay to lure an otherwise mid-major coach away. The hard part, of course, is that the Mizzou will want a proven head coach (not another Quin Snyder) and a midwest guy (though the Missouri Valley has pretty well been picked over these past few years). I really liked Kevin Stallings and thought he would have been a great hire after Romar but now he seems to be on the downward side of his career.

I'm loving this too!!

Another rejection from the Big 10!! First by the Big 10 conference and now by a Big 10 coach. Longterm, the Big 10 is much more stable and much more lucrative financially than the Big 12. Yes, Purdue has competition from IU, ND and others but Painter already knew that. In fact, with Painter's connections, he can still come to St. Louis and recruit the local kids. If local basketball players are like the local soccer kids who leave town for IU, then what's the big deal. In my opinion, Mizzou (the school) is not the great attraction for the St. Louis and the Southern Illinois recruiting prospect. Just like anything, it is the coach, the other players, the playing opportunity, the exposure/opportunity to play in a big conference, on TV and against good schools. So far, the St. Louis and Southern IL has not really wanted to play for Mizzou under Stewart, Snyder or Anderson. They would have under Painter.

The Painter family, though, now has 700,000 reasons each year for the next 8 years to thank good ole Mizzou and Mike Alden. The worst (best) part of this is that Mizzou has been rejected by its own coach who found Arkansas and the SEC more attractive and now by a lesser Big 10 profile program - Purdue. Now, Mizzou will probably have to overpay to lure an otherwise mid-major coach away. The hard part, of course, is that the Mizzou will want a proven head coach (not another Quin Snyder) and a midwest guy (though the Missouri Valley has pretty well been picked over these past few years). I really liked Kevin Stallings and thought he would have been a great hire after Romar but now he seems to be on the downward side of his career.

How does Mizzou not qualify as a school with the "exposure/opportunity to play in a big conference, on TV and against good schools?"

And how is Purdue a lesser big 10 profile program?

I think your bias is coloring your logic a bit.