Evans all Frosh A-10-Rook of the year?

slu72

Admittedly, I have no knowledge of any A-10 frosh this year and how they've performed. But DE with his 4th double double, all in A-10 games I believe, has to pretty much be a shoo in for A-10 all frosh team. Agreed? And a possible 3rd team or honorable mention all conf team? Any shot at Frosh of the year, or is there someone else lighting it up elsewhere? DE has far exceeded most of our expectations even though some on here thought he was the real steal out of Chicago. Does MM have any shot at any post season awards?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we could all let our bias show an claim Evans, McCall and Loe get newcomer honors ---- it would at least validate another long-suffering year of being a Billike basketball fan.

On CSN yesterday afternoon, another long one suffering through Pete Gillen doing color on the Duquesne/Dayton game, he said Juwan Stanten of Dayton, Langston Galloway of St. Joe's, and TJ McConnell of Duquesne were all locks for the A10 Newcomer teams. Galloway has four Newcomer of the Week awards and McConnell has five. Two spots open.

Brendan Frazier at Fordham has some good stats. Mikic the Serb starts for GeeDub altho I wasn't impressed. La Salle has Duren the point guard.

In this scenario, our three freshmen should be aces. Both Evans and McCall are on it. No doubt in my mind.

This sparked my interest to see if we had any A10 'rookie of the week' recipients. Unfortunately nada. Unbelievable.

Here are the weekly recipients:

Rookie of the Week

Date Name, School

Nov. 15, 2010 ........................ Tyreek Duren, La Salle

Nov. 22, 2010 .......................... Juwan Staten, Dayton

Nov. 29, 2010 ......Langston Galloway, Saint Joseph’s

Dec. 6, 2010 .......................... Tyreek Duren, La Salle

................................................. Juwan Staten, Dayton

Dec. 13, 2010 .................. T.J. McConnell, Duquesne

Dec. 20, 2010 .........Nemanja Mikic, G. Washington

Dec. 27, 2010 ..................Branden Frazier, Fordham

................................................. Juwan Staten, Dayton

Jan. 3, 2011 ........................... Tyreek Duren, La Salle

Jan. 10, 2011 ................... T.J. McConnell, Duquesne

Jan. 17, 2011 ........................... Juwan Staten, Dayton

......................................... T.J. McConnell, Duquesne

Jan. 23, 2011 ................... T.J. McConnell, Duquesne

.............................Matthew Wright, St. Bonaventure

Jan. 31, 2011 ................... T.J. McConnell, Duquesne

Feb. 7, 2011 .........Langston Galloway, Saint Joseph’s

Feb. 14, 2011 ......Langston Galloway, Saint Joseph’

I think we could all let our bias show an claim Evans, McCall and Loe get newcomer honors ---- it would at least validate another long-suffering year of being a Billike basketball fan.

On CSN yesterday afternoon, another long one suffering through Pete Gillen doing color on the Duquesne/Dayton game, he said Juwan Stanten of Dayton, Langston Galloway of St. Joe's, and TJ McConnell of Duquesne were all locks for the A10 Newcomer teams. Galloway has four Newcomer of the Week awards and McConnell has five. Two spots open.

Brendan Frazier at Fordham has some good stats. Mikic the Serb starts for GeeDub altho I wasn't impressed. La Salle has Duren the point guard.

In this scenario, our three freshmen should be aces. Both Evans and McCall are on it. No doubt in my mind.

I question whether Loe has a chance to make it. Yeah he played great yesterday: hit the threes he was signed on to make, blocked shots, and boarded, but look at his conference stat line:

## GP-GS Min--Avg FG-FGA Pct 3FG-FGA Pct FT-FTA Pct Off Def Tot Avg PF FO A TO Blk Stl Pts Avg

51 RL 13-9 211 16.2 30-73 .411 15-41 .366 8-13 .615 10 28 38 2.9 25 1 12 19 8 6 83 6.4

Here's Evans and McCall:

21 DE 13-12 336 25.8 49-99 .495 0-2 .000 31-50 .620 33 64 97 7.5 35 1 15 21 10 7 129 9.9

11 MM 13-12 372 28.6 46-120 .383 18-55 .327 17-23 .739 5 25 30 2.3 38 1 30 23 1 13 127 9.8

And now some examples of the aforementioned competition:

TJ McC 12-11 30.5 48-107 .449 14-42 .333 15-23 .652 6 34 40 3.3 18 0 52 12 2 34 125 10.4

Staten 13-13 28.3 45-112 .402 2-5 .40 22-33 .667 5 30 35 2.7 17 0 65 30 0 10 114 8.8

Rob's a great kid and although I harshly bashed his basketball skills in my first billikens.com post, he for sure has gotten better, but I don't see how he could make that team. I do understand some people here will have a bias and feel vindicated or what not in someway if all three were to make it but I'd be surprised if he did just by comparatively looking at the numbers.

I agree .... Loe is the weakest, stat-wise of our three but the overall talent freshman-wise in the A10 is not spectacular. Are JUCO transfers considered for the Newcomer team? Other transfers like Pettis, who transferred out of Rutgers to return to Philly and La Salle? I forget which league we were in but some allowed JUCOs and some did not. Same with four-year transfers like Spears and Braswell over with Charlotte. Some did and some did not. I do not recall the A10 policy.

I was thinking Galloway might be one of the two suspended Hawks but he is not, although he only scored 11 last time out against Xavier.

In any case, youth is not the norm for this year's A10; youth seems played only by necessity.

In retrospect, things like these honors may not mean much. Didn't Xavier have a top ranked class coming in with Latham and Canty? Top 100 recruits as I recall. And no peeps from them. Same was true of Gurley and Vinson at Umass. Gurley has had an okay senior year. Spears got canned at Charlotte after transferring in from Boston College. You just never know. Aaric Murray should be tearing this league up, same with Kenny Frease. But that ain't happening ... for whatever reasons.

With the planned for return of Reed, Ellis and Mitchell, added to these kids, glued together with Conklin and Cassity, the future is (once again!) bright. Richmond loses a ton including Anderson and Harper. Duquesne is out Saunders and Clark. Temple only loses Allen. Xavier only loses McLean and Jackson. Rhodey loses Jones, James and Martell. Going to be wide open but the title will still run through Xavier and Temple.

Evans is in the conversation now. If he continues his strong play he will make that team. McCall would have to really light it up down the stretch. Loe no chance.

Staten, Mikic, Galloway, McConnell, Aiken, Duren, Frazier, and Evans all in play for one of the 5 spots. Staten is a lock 6 assists a game leads the A-10, Galloway, McConnell also locks.

I'd like to see the case for the player who won it over him the previous week. For the LaSalle and Richmond games Evans went for 31 points while shooting 58% from the field and 23 boards with a block.

-congrats to DE!!!

-if he spends the offseason improving his jump shot and ft's he can be a very nice piece to the puzzle

-i like his attitude perhaps most of all, kid has a bright, bright future (NO INJURIES!!!!)

I like the way he has a nose for the ball and the putbacks. Haven't seen that for awhile. He plays bigger than 6'5". If he can learn to take his man off the dribble and develop a mid range jumper or a 3 shot, he could be killer good. He's instinctive which can't be taught.

I like the way he has a nose for the ball and the putbacks. Haven't seen that for awhile. He plays bigger than 6'5". If he can learn to take his man off the dribble and develop a mid range jumper or a 3 shot, he could be killer good. He's instinctive which can't be taught.

If he can take his man off the dribble? Thats how he is scoring most of his points.

If he can take his man off the dribble? Thats how he is scoring most of his points.

I thought the same thing. He gets the majority of his points by slashing to the basket. No doubt he needs to work on his "handles" and his outside shot, but he's been terrific at getting points off the dribble.

I would be willing to bet that would be a distant second.

went through all the game trackers and play by plays and box scores.

evans has 82 shots made on the season.

40 have been made off of assisted passes (by definition, an assist is only to be credited if no dribble)

28 off dribble moves by dwayne

14 on putbacks by dwayne

Hahaha I am NOT going through all those games again.

That said I would think conklin would at least be close

Great research, Roy! I would assume that Willie had to have numbers in that range last year. I would also agree that Conklin is probably close and perhaps even ahead of Evans.

40 have been made off of assisted passes (by definition, an assist is only to be credited if no dribble)

14 on putbacks by dwayne

The assisted passes part makes sense to me. It seems like DE is very good at being in the right place at the right time. Therefore, he'll get passes that lead to points. For example I think he's good at getting into the seams of zones or underneath zones to get open. Also his long arms can corral in somewhat errant passes to make plays others can't.

14 on putbacks by dwayne

-this can't be roy proving his own statement as being incorrect, something is wrong, very very wrong