Kwamain wants to play this year

SLUDrew

At least according to Timmerman. This is a quote from Tom's game write-up; "Kwamain Mitchell apparently eager to get back on the court this season as soon as he gets a waiver from the NCAA."

For completely selfish reasons I would prefer he redshirts, but he has got to do what's best for him.

On the plus side, if he comes back relatively soon and it doesn't take him too long to get back to form, we should make the A-10 tournament and be a team to reckon with.

At least according to Timmerman. This is a quote from Tom's game write-up; "Kwamain Mitchell apparently eager to get back on the court this season as soon as he gets a waiver from the NCAA."

For completely selfish reasons I would prefer he redshirts, but he has got to do what's best for him.

On the plus side, if he comes back relatively soon and it doesn't take him too long to get back to form, we should make the A-10 tournament and be a team to reckon with.

It would certainly make this season less painful for us as fans. Unless clearance comes in the next day or two, though, it would seems like Kwamain would be wasting a lot of eligibility. At least CE got to play in the entire conference season and the CBI ... neither will happen with KM.

I think it's crazy for KM to come back this year. He'll play less then half the games and no post season. I don't think we play much better than .500 the rest of the way even with KM.

I agree that he should redshirt this year. I don't see how it would be possible for KM to earn his degree in the next year and a half, after which his scholarship will expire. I don't think we are going to The Dance this year regardless, but we might the next two years under his leadership.

I just put myself in his shoes. As a fan, I would like to see him redshirt. I think that obviously makes the most sense. But if I were him, I could see wanting to play right now. It has to be hard to sit and watch all this time. He has to be itching to play, especially with his teammates struggling.

Maybe his quote just meant that he is eager to get back on the court and start practicing with the team again...

You could be right. I would doubt that he comes back to play if he is not cleared this week. It would make no sense to waste a year of eligibility for 12 games.

I hope he redshirts. It will be hard to see him back playing and not Reed; we need both to make any serious late run.

A by-product of him possibly playing this year is that he'll hurt his long-term chances for a lot of career records at SLU.

Thats why you recruit. If you're recruiting well you can get another Kwamain, so you dont have to worry about redshirting guys, you can just play your best guys no matter what.

While we might be able to recruit quality players, Kwamain has an outside chance of being the All-Time Billiken scoring leader, assists leader, and steals leader if he plays his final 2 years...

We may be able to get recruits who will adequately fill in for Kwamain, but he is a very unique talent...

I agree that he should redshirt this year. I don't see how it would be possible for KM to earn his degree in the next year and a half, after which his scholarship will expire. I don't think we are going to The Dance this year regardless, but we might the next two years under his leadership.

He doesn't have to finish his degree by then. He has another year of scholarship to finish his degree. The redshirt him so he can get his degree argument doesn't work.

Thats why you recruit. If you're recruiting well you can get another Kwamain, so you dont have to worry about redshirting guys, you can just play your best guys no matter what.

Exactly. It is time to quit playing the wait until next year card. Get your best players available on the court and try to make a run in the A 10 tourney.

Will it? I thought they all got at least five years to earn their degrees, playing or not.

they do, but realistically KM is going to have fairly lucrative offers to play in Europe after his 4 years of eligiblity are done at SLU. If he is still a year away from graduating he will likely choose to go play ball and won't graduate.

I'm definitely in the camp of those that want him to redshirt. there is so little value to him playing this year (any post-season, even CBI, is a long shot at this point) and so much downside to not having him as a 5th year senior.

Lets hope the NCAA takes their typical lengthy time to review...

Yesterday's game is exactly why I want Kwamain to play. We should have won yesterday and we would have if we had Kwamain. I think we would have beaten Dayton with Kwamain too. The A-10 is down a little bit this year and I think that with Kwamain we could definitely make a run in the A-10 Tourney.

Redshirt. See my post on the "Inconsistency" thread. Sum of all parts and even with KM a serious part is missing --- not necesarrily WR but an interior game. An interior option. Bay Area's defensive goalie presnce --- whether that's WR with CR or WR with CR and JM.

Again, next year's question remains this year's and that is "can anybody shoot this rock?"

Redshirt. See my post on the "Inconsistency" thread. Sum of all parts and even with KM a serious part is missing --- not necesarrily WR but an interior game. An interior option. Bay Area's defensive goalie presnce --- whether that's WR with CR or WR with CR and JM.

Again, next year's question remains this year's and that is "can anybody shoot this rock?"

Regarding next year, Mitchell, Barnett and McCall can FOR SURE. Those three have proven they can create and make their own shot. With Kwamain back, I bet we see Ellis and Loe start to make a lot more threes as well. I'm not worried about our shooting one bit. I'm worried about our free throw shooting, our rebounding, and our inside defense and scoring.

they do, but realistically KM is going to have fairly lucrative offers to play in Europe after his 4 years of eligiblity are done at SLU. If he is still a year away from graduating he will likely choose to go play ball and won't graduate.

I'm definitely in the camp of those that want him to redshirt. there is so little value to him playing this year (any post-season, even CBI, is a long shot at this point) and so much downside to not having him as a 5th year senior.

Lets hope the NCAA takes their typical lengthy time to review...

I completely agree with you. This year is shot. Onto the next year. Let the frosh learn without Kwamain in the games (but learning from him in practice and able to implement what they learn from him in the games without him taking their minutes right now) so they are better prepared in the future.

We also need to think about KM and where his head is at. After what happened to KM, he may not want to spend 2.5 more years at SLU. He may want to just get out, especially if he thinks WR may only play one more year. He may look at as a way to do something he loves right away and play his last year with WR.

We may agree or not agree but if WR thinks he has a chance he may only play next year.

It is clearly in KM's best interests to play this year.

So after his eligibility ends in 2012, he plays in Australia, Europe, makes good money.

If he waits to play until end of 2013, he is a year older, so it costs him one year of income on the back end.

Maybe he can go to summeer school this summer and catch up; not sure, but if so, it is an absolute no brainer that he should play.

Another issue to consider is that KM has been through a difficult time. If your identity as a person is about playing basketball and that is taken away from you, the only thing that mentally is going to ease the pain is to play again. KM might feel he needs to play just for his own peace of mind. It is better for the team if KM redshirts but it might be better KM personally if he plays. That one lost semester can be made up. Get some credit hours this summer and he'll be even closer.

We may agree or not agree but if WR thinks he has a chance he may only play next year.

Regardless of the merits of the decision, I truly believe that will be the case.

If KM and WR could both play now, I'd fully support them coming back.

With WR not able to come back, i'm split. I understand the arguments on both sides.