Kyle Cassity is a friggin Boss

NH

If this does not happen he will find himself back in Oz next season.

I'm not sure why everyone wants to send Salechich packing or thinks for some reason he will be gone next season. If we ever actually have 13 scholarship players the 10-13th guys on the bench won't be getting much playing time or be expected to be big time scorers. With how well he defends, I'm fine with Salechich being one of those guys. Sure he might not be happy with the lack of PT, but he seems like a solid kid in my opinion and will work harder rather than run home in that case.

Holy cow! If Marque Perry, Monroe Douglass, Justin Love and Kevin Lisch can not play in the NBA, there is NO way Kyle Cassity is playing in the NBA. Kyle will remain valuable, but eventually Jett or McCall (maybe before the end of this season) will pass Kyle in terms of minutes played.

McCall or Jett may get more PT than Cassity in a few games this year, but no way they consistently get more minutes than him as the season goes on or even next year. I believe Kyle led our team in minutes last year and he's playing much better this year. Further, WHEN (I'm eternally optimistic) Kwamain comes back he's going to be taking minutes from McCall and Jett, not Cassity.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Roy, you were right about Cassity.

When he was a freshman he looked like he would never contribute, you said he was going to be a helluva player, now he is the backbone of the team. Good call.

But NBA? You are letting it ride on that one? You are saying he is going to be better than Kevin Lisch?

Sure he might not be happy with the lack of PT, but he seems like a solid kid in my opinion and will work harder rather than run home in that case.

I have no doubt that he is a great kid and a great team member, but to be on the other side of the world away from family to play 2-3 min i cannot see him staying and im sure RM will point this out to him, he may even try to tranfer but with his stats at the moment will struggle to find a good Div 1 team to be interested in him .

I have no doubt that he is a great kid and a great team member, but to be on the other side of the world away from family to play 2-3 min i cannot see him staying and im sure RM will point this out to him, he may even try to tranfer but with his stats at the moment will struggle to find a good Div 1 team to be interested in him .

There are 345 NCAA Division I teams. I would venture to guess that close to 1,000 players in DI only see a handful of minutes or less each game. Why can't he be one of these guys?

first if you go back and reread my post, i said i think he has a shot. i also said that i didnt say he would be a star and then i named about 5 players that in the nba were fringe guards.

will he be better than lisch? remember lisch kind of took the coaching change in the shorts and it hurt his progress dealing with the change in command and new system. his production fell off and it appeared he regressed. so whether kyle is going to be better than the senior season lisch in his senior season might be more a matter of perception. but i do think kyle is a better passer and is bigger so his potential is more.

i would also like to point out the difference that the junior to senior year could be. let's not forget the junior years compared to the senior years of justin love and marice jeffers. huge jumps. and it would take that kind of a jump for kyle to get a shot, even if it is as a free agent like love. love was the last player cut by the phoenix suns and was probably a coach's perception difference of making it. so who knows.

all i know is he has the size, the mental makeup and continues to improve. at this point in time i am not writing it off as some of you want to do. lets talk in 15 months.

He is a below average shooter with below average speed and athletic ability. Not exactly what the NBA is looking for. And to compare him to Travis diener is hilarious.

woah woah woah. now i'll be the first to say that kyle probably doesn't have a shot at the NBA, but i'd say you're off in your assessment of him. kyle has at least average speed and athletic ability for his size and position and i would say he's an above average shooter. granted, he's not taking a ton of shots, but thus far he's scoring 11 PPG on 65% shooting and 55% from three. that's pretty sicknasty if you ask me.

woah woah woah. now i'll be the first to say that kyle probably doesn't have a shot at the NBA, but i'd say you're off in your assessment of him. kyle has at least average speed and athletic ability for his size and position and i would say he's an above average shooter. granted, he's not taking a ton of shots, but thus far he's scoring 11 PPG on 65% shooting and 55% from three. that's pretty sicknasty if you ask me.

He is much better this year but look at his first two years where he shot 30%, 35% from 3 pt land and 56% from charity. I can see where you would call him an average shooter. Hopefully he keeps it up or we are £ucked.

average speed compared to whom. Besides low, he was the slowest of the 5 slu starters the other night. The only guard on our team who might be slower is eckerle. Please name a 6'4" NBA player who is slower or less athletic than him.

As for his shot, yes it is good this year through 8 games. It was not good for the first 60 games of his career.

average speed compared to whom. Besides low, he was the slowest of the 5 slu starters the other night. The only guard on our team who might be slower is eckerle. Please name a 6'4" NBA player who is slower or less athletic than him.

As for his shot, yes it is good this year through 8 games. It was not good for the first 60 games of his career.

He's nursing a nagging ankle injury!

You're kidding about him being slow the past 2.5 years right? The kid is super quick, it shows on his driving and defense.

He is not slow and I don't think he is super quick either. He is an average D1 athlete for a guard, maybe slightly above average. He is an above average shooter and a very good passer. He will NOT get a sniff from the NBA, too short, weak and slow. He is "super quick" compared to some of the slow guards we've had in years past.

He is a very good college basketball player, especially when he is your 3rd or 4th option, which he could be on our team.

He is not slow and I don't think he is super quick either. He is an average D1 athlete for a guard, maybe slightly above average. He is an above average shooter and a very good passer. He will NOT get a sniff from the NBA, too short, weak and slow. He is "super quick" compared to some of the slow guards we've had in years past.

He is a very good college basketball player, especially when he is your 3rd or 4th option, which he could be on our team.

I think he could get some sniffs in pro leagues abroad, but he is going to have to become more active and aggressive. He is shooting a high percentage, but he needs to bump is PPG up to 15+ to get more attention.

Im not an expert....but ROY. the comparisons to travis diener are absolutely ridiculous.

I watched travis live and in person for 4 years at marquette and ive watched cassity every game hes been here.

Diener is absolutely 3 or 4 levels ahead of cassity.

Travis is the smartest college bball player ive ever seen.

Travis is quicker.

I dont know how to explain it but when i watched travis play, there was a sense of "hes gonna make the right play so marquette wins" no matter if it was shooting or passing. its just a mental force that i havent seen anyone at SLU every display.

Travis had a leader quality; even as a freshmen, that Kyle still lacks. A "I dont care that im the youngest player on the court. I'm going to have the ball. I'm going to dictate what we do and if you do everything I want you to do; we will win" leader quality.

Basically Travis was a hard line coaches son who grew up battling his brothers and gaining mental toughness on a level I just don't see ever coming from kyle.

And he has a better shot.

And while he made it in the NBA for a few years he is now playing overseas.

Totally agree with Jimbofive.

I know everyone wants to argue the pros and cons of Kyle's basketball skills and athletic abilities. That's fine but, I hope everyone also remembers that he did not come to SLU with high aspirations of going pro and using SLU as a stepping stone towards that goal.

IMHO, Kyle came to SLU for the degree and (not only) play basketball. Kyle will get his degree and honor his commitment for the scholarship and play the best basketball he is capable of and nothing less. Kyle will never be the best basketball player SLU has ever had but he will be one that you'll remember for awhile.

Actually he shot about 37, 38% from the 3 after the start of A10 play last year. Add that to the games this year and you're looking at just about a full season at near 40% from beyond the arc. That's better than average, especially since the line was moved back and averages fell a bit.

This isn't debatable, it's fact. His quickness and athleticism is ok for a D1 college player, but it's well below average for 6'4" or 6'5" NBA guards.

-far be it from me to defend a point from roy but i think some are missing his point which i think is very close to KC has half a season, an entire summer and all of next season to improve to get a look from the nba, a look, not be a lottery pick today or then, but a look and perhaps take a space at the end of a bench

-i think most in this thread seem to be projecting today's KC into the nba and clearly that is not happening, it is the possibility of development (and i think that development would have to be quite significant)

-i am not saying this can happen or that i even agree with it, but stranger things have happened

JJ Redick

Derrick Fisher is shorter but slower.

John Stockton is shorter but slower and less athletic.

But I agree with your point

drew it should be shut down for a lack of reading comprehension. the number of posters that took my original post on the subject out of context and twisted the words is beyond incredible.

i do want to thank my normal adversary, cowboy, for having the intelligence to actually read what i posted. thank you cowboy.

drew it should be shut down for a lack of reading comprehension. the number of posters that took my original post on the subject out of context and twisted the words is beyond incredible.

i do want to thank my normal adversary, cowboy, for having the intelligence to actually read what i posted. thank you cowboy.

Majerus himeself has picked him to be the next academic all american at SLU. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility with enough hard work, a few good breaks, and a continuation of a shift of Kyle's mindset on the court that a sniff at the league could be possible. Kyle is not ready now and wouldn't even be in the conversation to be in a European league. But I think the base is there for a possibility.