18 days until the opener

dlarry

I hope so. Otherwise he won't be of much help. If he develops an accurate jump shot from fifteen feet on in he could be a big contributer this year.

Conklin was help even with two bad wheels. He wasn't a star, but he brought a toughness and an ability to grab offensive rebounds that no one else on the team had. He also wasn't as bad of a shooter 15 ft in that many make him out to be.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Conklin was help even with two bad wheels. He wasn't a star, but he brought a toughness and an ability to grab offensive rebounds that no one else on the team had. He also wasn't as bad of a shooter 15 ft in that many make him out to be.

Totally, agree. I have seen many good picks set by BC followed by his getting the pass and hitting the shot. That's when BC is at his best -- from 10 toi 15 foot. In fact, his Freshman year, BC has a few really good games and, when things were clicking, I could see the first glimpse of RM's offense. That same year, though, TL had a poor year by his standards, BC, WR and BT struggled on the inside, KM developed and ended the year well. As to BC, I take those moments (when he was a healthy Frosh) and see the glimpse of real talent as opposed to his end of season minutes and ppg average. Guess you can look at this end of season stats, combined with his injury plagued second year, and say BC sucks.... To me, that is wrong. Will BC be our best player?? No, but I do think many will be pleasantly surprised.

I have seen many good picks set by BC followed by his getting the pass and hitting the shot.

You have seen this in practice right? I don't recall him showing much ability to shoot the basketball from any distance, but my only basis for this is home games at Chaifetz.

I could definitely see 20 wins again. I think that Jett and McCall are ready to go. Jett went to prep school and was a top recruit. I believe he was offered by Arkansas and Baylor too. I think that we may struggle to score without KM, but we'll be fine. Georgia, Portland, Duke, Mo St are 4 games that it would be great to go 2-2 in or at least 1-3. Every other non-conference game I think we should win although we may slip up somewhere, but this team is still going to be very hard to beat at Chaifetz. KC is a tough defender and a solid guard who can play either spot. MM could be the scorer we're looking for while KM is out. He just seems like a KM type player. JJ is going to be better than people think. He doesn't shoot much from what I've heard, but he can really distribute the ball. I think BC will be the rebounder that we really need. He may be on the court strictly to rebound. I don't know much about DE, but I think he'll also see increased minutes now and he seems like he could be a shut down defender under RM. CS needs to improve his shot. If he can do that, he'll see the court. CE is probably the most important player because he is our only proven scorer. CR seems like he's ready to go, but I don't know much about him. Don't know much about PE either, but I know he's a leader. I do think if he's out on the court a lot, our freshmen aren't as good as advertised. RL may not be ready but I think he might be thrown in ready or not. I think he can contribute and I believe he was rated higher than CE? It would be nice to have Barnett now, he can really stretch the floor and I think that'd open things up down low for CR, RL, and BC so even thought they aren't as skilled as WR they would have a little more room to operate. I think we could be very solid when KM comes back, but we'll see

I could definitely see 20 wins again. I think that Jett and McCall are ready to go. Jett went to prep school and was a top recruit. I believe he was offered by Arkansas and Baylor too. I think that we may struggle to score without KM, but we'll be fine. Georgia, Portland, Duke, Mo St are 4 games that it would be great to go 2-2 in or at least 1-3. Every other non-conference game I think we should win although we may slip up somewhere, but this team is still going to be very hard to beat at Chaifetz. KC is a tough defender and a solid guard who can play either spot. MM could be the scorer we're looking for while KM is out. He just seems like a KM type player. JJ is going to be better than people think. He doesn't shoot much from what I've heard, but he can really distribute the ball. I think BC will be the rebounder that we really need. He may be on the court strictly to rebound. I don't know much about DE, but I think he'll also see increased minutes now and he seems like he could be a shut down defender under RM. CS needs to improve his shot. If he can do that, he'll see the court. CE is probably the most important player because he is our only proven scorer. CR seems like he's ready to go, but I don't know much about him. Don't know much about PE either, but I know he's a leader. I do think if he's out on the court a lot, our freshmen aren't as good as advertised. RL may not be ready but I think he might be thrown in ready or not. I think he can contribute and I believe he was rated higher than CE? It would be nice to have Barnett now, he can really stretch the floor and I think that'd open things up down low for CR, RL, and BC so even thought they aren't as skilled as WR they would have a little more room to operate. I think we could be very solid when KM comes back, but we'll see

Reports are that Jett is a man child.

I expect him to play a lot.

Ya know, I see a lot of people on here dog Conklin's jumper, but I don't see it. For as much as he takes it, he sure seems to be fairly accurate from the free throw line and base line. It's a bit ugly and looks like a half ass fade away most of the time, but it seems to me anyway, that he hits the shot at a consistent clip. I really hope his vertical has improved like you guys are saying...that would make a significant difference. Still a bit leary though at only 6'6". I keep telling myself he is really 6'8" if measured elsewhere.

Edit - not referring to actual free throws when I say free throw line. Just the jumpers from the general area.

He has missed more put backs from five feet or less than any SLU player. I don't know what you have been watching.

You have seen this in practice right? I don't recall him showing much ability to shoot the basketball from any distance, but my only basis for this is home games at Chaifetz.

I think you are misremembering. Conk definitely did this on many occasions and nailed the shot. He's not a "shooter", but the stigma that he cannot shoot within 15ft is wrong.

I think you are misremembering. Conk definitely did this on many occasions and nailed the shot. He's not a "shooter", but the stigma that he cannot shoot within 15ft is wrong.

I went to or watched all of the games and while I do remember hitting multiple jumpers, I also thought that was an area in which he needed to improve.

What do other people think about this?

I went to or watched all of the games and while I do remember hitting multiple jumpers, I also thought that was an area in which he needed to improve.

What do other people think about this?

I am not saying he never made a jumper, but I would not say he had any consistency shooting from anywhere let alone 15 feet. I recall him throwing up some nasty shots from 10-15 feet on the baseline and that is where my seats are. I do recall him hitting a couple shots in the CBI, but that did not happen throughout the season. He shot 46% on the season and I would have to think the majority of those shots were around the rim.

I am not saying he never made a jumper, but I would not say he had any consistency shooting from anywhere let alone 15 feet. I recall him throwing up some nasty shots from 10-15 feet on the baseline and that is where my seats are. I do recall him hitting a couple shots in the CBI, but that did not happen throughout the season. He shot 46% on the season and I would have to think the majority of those shots were around the rim.

His 46% makes him the leading returner in FG%. The weakest part of his game last season was his inability to capitalize on put backs on his offensive rebounds. On those shots his shooting percentage had to be well below 46%. Healthy wheels should help with his ability to convert on those high traffic, quick response chances.

His freshman year he shot 52% and he was dealing with some injuries that year too. His style of play probably will never allow him to be completely injury free, but improved health this season should lead to an improved shooting %.

Played guard.

The line-up for the years he played was:

center- Lockette or Robin Jones

Forwards- Stallworth, Paradowski or Leanard

Guards-Frailey, Carlos Martenez and Harry

Not only that, I'm pretty sure he played point guard. I can remember him bringing the ball up the floor. Opposing team always thought it would be easy to strip him, and he'd just step right around them.

Probably my favorite player while I was growing up.

Played guard.

Harry almost always handled the ball.

Conklin always shoots flat jumpers. He's had leg problems he may not have been getting much lift. He is an ok shooter from 15 and in, just as a bench player and 4th or 5th option didn't get the chance to take many. If Conklin truly healthy we'll see improved play around the goal by him. With better lift he can take the ball up strong around larger defenders. The previous seasons it seemed like he finessed putbacks to much in an effort not to get blocked which caused him to miss shots. Obviously strength isn't a problem with him so if he has his legs under him I hops for a season fg% of well over 50%.

Agree with more minutes or starting BC

will be more relaxed; at times last year he

and Jon Smith both played as if they had better

Score or they would get yanked. I did find

Myself hoping BC jumpers would fall but

Nowhere near the praying that went on with

Willie's free throws.

Start KC, MM, BC, CR, CE and expect RL

And hope Jett push them for minute

GoSlu

interesting that you use that comparison since the only year soderberg had a less than 500 record was the year his two best players got hurt and then proceeded to lose more close games than seemed possible.

even though some can say we just lost our two best players, imo we have far more depth that will allow us to be significantly over 500 for the season. if our freshmen, who many have claimed consist of the best rickma recruiting class yet, step up and perform at a high level, i personally believe a 20 win season can still happen. a lot depends on loe, jett, evans and mccall, being all they are advertised to be. let's see how it turns out.

I really didn't make the comparison. I just said Roar's analysis makes it sound like a team loaded with UB type recruits. I clearly think the talent level RM's bought in is much higher than UB's, save for TL. KL, and IV.

Played guard.

Wow, Al, no senior moments for you, eh? But I think you left out Jimmy Irving, who's a hard guy to leave out. One of the best guards ever to wear Billiken Blue.

Not only that, I'm pretty sure he played point guard. I can remember him bringing the ball up the floor. Opposing team always thought it would be easy to strip him, and he'd just step right around them.

Probably my favorite player while I was growing up.

Harry did bring it up a lot, but you guys are still forgetting Irving who played alongside him for 2 years I believe (70/71 and 71/72). There's also another guy missing on that team. I believe his last name was Jones. And then there was the kid Polk brought with him from Texas... can't remember his name for the life of me.

Harry did bring it up a lot, but you guys are still forgetting Irving who played alongside him for 2 years I believe (70/71 and 71/72). There's also another guy missing on that team. I believe his last name was Jones. And then there was the kid Polk brought with him from Texas... can't remember his name for the life of me.

Fisher came from Texas. Want to say he was a transfer from St Mary's in San Antonio. Was supposed to be the next Pete Maravich. Never happened and for some reason went into in Polk's doghouse for his SLU career. He was originally from Allentown, PA. After graduation became a very successful HS coach back in Allentown.

Irving graduated in '71. Played only one year with Harry. Remember, freshmen didn't play back then.

Robin Jones was the center during Harry's Jr and Senior year. Had several years with the Portland Trailblazers and was Walton's backup.