18 days until the opener

dlarry

Well now that we can kind of start putting this mess behind us its time to look towards opening night.

I for one am still excited about the opening season and cant wait to start spending a few nights a week at chaifetz

First up (NAIA) Division II power the Cardinal Stritch Wolves.

Here is what I know about the "CS" Wolves

enrollment: unknown

Team colors: Unknown

Basketball history: unknown

Here is what I looked up

Best player: Brandon D'Amico never heard of him but he put up 17 points 4 boards and 2 assissts a game last year. 6 foot 5 inch senior from Geneva Illinois

Last year: 27-6 but lost two NAIA all americans in Trey Triplett and Kody Braddix who both averaged over 16 a game last year

outlook for this year: unknown

Coach: Former Billiken great and the least successful college player of the Diener family.....Drew Diener. Half kidding about the least successful part although It would of been nice to have Travis or Drake.

Prediction: SLU:109 Cardinal Stritch:5 The Bills will start out slow but start to pull away BIG TIME with about 17 minutes to go in the first half. Angry that his team cant do anything Diener pulls off his suit and takes the court with 5 minutes to go. Shocked that the officials are letting this happen, the bills fall asleep on "D" and Diener gets and easy lay-up. Next time down the court player/coach Diener banks in a three as the buzzer sounds to end the game.

Sure things may not be as great as we all hoped but things are still looking good.

This is still a deeper team than ones in the past and the recruiting has been the best ive ever seen.

And look on the bright side even if we have to suffer through another year of growing pains I would rather spend my Wednesdays and Saturdays watching an exciting and improving Bills team than sitting on my couch watching some crappy TV show.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. Would not be surprised if we lose a buy game.

if this is true, then we really arent as deep as everyone thought.

I predict all the recent b.s. will manifest itself in the form of a few losses against teams we have no business losing to.

I hope I'm wrong.

Majerus will never let this happen and he will not dwell on what might have been. Obviously, this hurts the Bills chances of beating Georgia, Duke and Dayton, but there are strong enough leaders on this team, even without Kwamain (and Lord knows SLU has not played well in his absence), there is plenty of talent to defeat the weaker teams.

if this is true, then we really arent as deep as everyone thought.

With Willie and Kwamain I would argue this would have been the "most talented" team in the last 20 years. Without them there is still a ton of talent, BUT they are very young, inexperienced, and will have to adjust to not having their leader. I think they will gel at some point but what happened can really shake a team, especially one this young. An early loss to a team we should not lose to is certainly possible.

Don't get me wrong, this team would still beat any Billiken team from the beginning of the decade to WR's and KM's arrival by 20, but the A-10 has become a tougher league and young teams can find ways to lose games from time to time

The thing that worries me most about this team without WR and KM is the lack of players who can "create their own shot". In my opinion cody is the only returner that can consistently make a play all by himself. Seems like we're going to be overly reliant on our system/set plays which good defensive teams will stop. In other words, Kwamain was by far our best guy at "driving and dishing" and Willie was our only post who consistently could get the ball on the block, make a high quality post move, and finish. Hopefully KC and CS have improved their ability to score and hopefully the frosh are as dynamic of playmakers as we have all heard or else this could plague the Bills at least until KM returns.

Has this situation clouded our minds to the point that Drew Diener is regarded as a Billiken great?

He was a Billiken player. Nothing more, nothing less.

I was just kidding with the former Bills great comment. I use "former (insert team name here) great" with a lot of nondescript athletes.

Like former Cardinal Great Eli Marrero or former Ram great Amp lee.

It's just a nicer way than saying "you remember that bum that used to play here?"

I would really reserve any prediction until we

see RL, MM, JJ, and DE play 8 games and see

If BC actually plays better or worse ie, did he

Really benefit and recover from his operation or

Does he need more recuperative time. Also will

CR, CS, CE improve or have sophomore fall offs

As some young players do?

Great post!!

Is it safe to assume that KM's first game back could be vs. Dayton on 1/5?

Great post!!

Is it safe to assume that KM's first game back could be vs. Dayton on 1/5?

It would seem as if we were dealing with deja vu if KM came back that game, as Cody made his first appearance at the A-10 opener last year right after New Year, if I am correct. Could we be in a similar circumstance where we have a somewhat rough non-con run (say 9-5) and then get KM for the con schedule and run roughshod? Maybe have even a better run? I think we all agree that KM is a bigger key to this team than Willie, right? If we can get the heart and soul of this team for the last half, and at least do decent or better in the first half, is it OK to be at least somewhat optimistic about our chances? I for one cannot wait for the season to start if that is the case!

We are going to be razor thin at the point until KM gets back. KC and MM appear to be the only qualified players we have. JJ does not appear to have the speed to play the point according to what I have read. Hope that is wrong. CS would be the emergency point I would assume.

We are going to be razor thin at the point until KM gets back. KC and MM appear to be the only qualified players we have. JJ does not appear to have the speed to play the point according to what I have read. Hope that is wrong. CS would be the emergency point I would assume.

I think this is a good team, but the same as how last year's team was good. Basically, a bunch of talented young guys waiting for one REALLY talented guy to come along (i.e. Cody, KM). Therefore, I see pretty much the same season we saw last year. However, as KM is a lot more seasoned than Cody was last year, we can actually make a noise in the A-10 tourney. I am pretty optimistic about how we will finish.

How far off am I on the depth chart? All of this looks much better if MM can start.

PG

Cassity

McCall

Salecich

SG

Salecich

Jett

Eckerle

SF

Ellis

Salecich

Evans

PF

Conklin

Ellis

Remekun

C

Remekun

Roe

Ellis

I think Eckerle will be used a little in the PG role early on. Also, I think Loe will be the starting PF instead of Conklin. However, I still see Conklin getting a lot of time down low in various ways. Cosy will now be used as a 3 as RM will just try to keep the most talented 5 on the court at the same time. Basically, not try to matchup with the opposition but make the opposition matchup with us.

Majerus will never let this happen and he will not dwell on what might have been. Obviously, this hurts the Bills chances of beating Georgia, Duke and Dayton, but there are strong enough leaders on this team, even without Kwamain (and Lord knows SLU has not played well in his absence), there is plenty of talent to defeat the weaker teams.

But that was when there were no other point guards on the roster. Now there are two other capable guards, though they're freshmen. Still, there's a good deal of experience and talent on the team. They won't tank, now, without Mitchell.

I think Eckerle will be used a little in the PG role early on. Also, I think Loe will be the starting PF instead of Conklin. However, I still see Conklin getting a lot of time down low in various ways. Cody will now be used as a 3 as RM will just try to keep the most talented 5 on the court at the same time. Basically, not try to matchup with the opposition but make the opposition matchup with us.

Well, I think it will depend on the ability of the most talented five to play team defense.

Loe will play, but I just don't see him starting over Conklin. A buddy of mine was up at the rec the other day and said Loe was getting pushed around by Cassity. I think Loe will end up being a really nice player, but it will take a little bit.

How far off am I on the depth chart? All of this looks much better if MM can start.

PG

Cassity

McCall

Salecich

SG

Salecich

Jett

Eckerle

SF

Ellis

Salecich

Evans

PF

Conklin

Ellis

Remekun

C

Remekun

Roe

Ellis

Jett is not a shooting guard.

If CS has a sophomore fall off he should be the last player off the bench. He needs to improve (based on last year's production) to be of help to the Bills.

Loe will play, but I just don't see him starting over Conklin. A buddy of mine was up at the rec the other day and said Loe was getting pushed around by Cassity. I think Loe will end up being a really nice player, but it will take a little bit.

Ugh...what is the opposite of "hate"

If CS has a sophomore fall off he should be the last player off the bench. He needs to improve (based on last year's production) to be of help to the Bills.

If CS has a falloff we might as well be playing with 4 men on the court...