Mitchell and Reed suspended

ACE

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This may be Porter and Rick's toughest recruiting job yet. Can the convince WR and KM to come back to SLU, the school that they likely feel sheated on them, and play the 2nd semester and beyond. Or are they gone for good?

I was told that Kwamain's mom may not even have been allowed to attend the hearing while the accuser was allowed to bring her father and multiple attorneys. I am sure Kwamain and his mom feel like he was treated fairly by the school.

Will Reed Sr. is outraged that the school handed down its own disciplinary action, even though prosecutors found there was not enough evidence for charges in the case.

Reed's father says the two have been suspended for one semester and are being asked to write formal letters of apology. He believes this punishment is too harsh considering there was no criminal wrong doing in this case.

Reed Sr. also believes that the disciplinary process was unfair. He thinks the students should have each had their own hearing and been given more time to prepare considering their futures and reputations were on the line. He wants the suspensions revoked.

"...To be reinstated to the university without any type of suspension at all. And if they cannot do that within a timely manner, then we have no other choice but to transfer out," Reed said.

But if the suspension stands? "We will pull him out and follow through with a lawsuit against the university," he added.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=221631&catid=3

St. Louis, MO (KSDK) -- After months of waiting, a final decision has come down: two stars of the St. Louis University basketball team have been suspended from school after allegations of sexual assault against them last spring.

Players Willie Reed Jr. and Kwamain Mitchell, once standouts on the Billikins team, are off the court and out of class.

Will Reed Sr. is outraged that the school handed down its own disciplinary action, even though prosecutors found there was not enough evidence for charges in the case.

KSDK is giving us the most news, but made the classic typo.

I would say the biggest issue I have with this decision is that it happens right before the start of the season. It almost seems like the university made sure to squeeze as much season ticket money from the city as it could based on the excitement of a possible tourney team before dropping the bomb. I know that I was able to bring in one more season ticket holder due to the possibilities this season presented. I doubt I would have been able to convince the person if the announcement came back in May or this summer. Is it too cynical to look at it like that?

I would say the biggest issue I have with this decision is that it happens right before the start of the season. It almost seems like the university made sure to squeeze as much season ticket money from the city as it could based on the excitement of a possible tourney team before dropping the bomb. I know that I was able to bring in one more season ticket holder due to the possibilities this season presented. I doubt I would have been able to convince the person if the announcement came back in May or this summer. Is it too cynical to look at it like that?

They're too idiotic to plan something like that.

For-DaLove I'm not sure how long you've been a fan billiken, but if you're a student it may not have been that long. I have been an avid fan since I was six years old, and there are many on this board who have been one much, much longer than I have.

The team has been stuck, running in place on the treadmill of mediocrity for as long as I have donned the billiken blue. Lisch and Liddell were going to be the saviors, not so much. Then Big Rick came in with his giant waistline and equally giant expectations. We all knew it would be four years before the team got on track, and we were willing to wait. After all, people have been waiting for a long time. But success came a year early and we finished the season this year.

When I was little my birthday present was a trip to the CUSA tourney in memphis. During the winter, I live wednesday to saturday to wednesday to saturday. It's sad, I know. Even my parents, season ticket holders, have said I care too much about the team.

But all that would be worth it this year, the year we had been waiting for for a while. Instead, Willie and Kwa are no longer enrolled at SLU, our recruiting classes for the next couple years and our team for this coming season appears to be terrible. The new arena will be empty for a couple of seasons. Will RM be able to recruit black kids in the future? who knows. He already is hated by several local AAU coaches and its going to be hard to regain credibility in other parts of the country.

It may be time for RM to go. Not everything is his fault, but the fact is he is getting paid $1 million a year and he will have had little success after now what appears to be five years.

You have no clue what you are talking about. Scram.

You have no clue what you are talking about. Scram.

MB73,

Before

you bring out your

Line breaks and sentence fragments

and start telling us all about

your D1 experience

please consider the possible

magnitude of these

consequences

My post was not an indictment of a hall of fame coach but rather an assessment of what could be a rather grave situation.

clearly slu has not proven them guilty of sexual assault. thats obviously grounds for expulsion.

what i would bet happened is that in the course of that investigation, the players admitted to being drunk, having booze at grand forest, maybe being at the bar, etc...

facts that they probably could not deny. there may even be a cohab policy at grand forest, there is at most other dorms.

there are probably additional student athlete rules they violated.

drinking with a shadowing athlete?

honestly if you add up all their ohfenses that night, a 1 semester suspension seems fair, if not a little easy. ive seen longer suspensions for less

Some questions about the process:

Did both sides have licensed attorney's present? How many attorneys did each side have present? Were the attorneys allowed to present evidence and speak in the process? Did the rules permit the participation of attorneys? Did the accuser face the accused at the hearing? Were both sides parents allowed to attend and participate? How much notice were the sides given of the process rules and attendees? Did the hearing exceed the typical time allotment? How did the disinterested witnesses testify?

I think if everyone knew the answers to these questions they would be even more shocked today.

By far, this is the most relevant post on this matter.

It would be against the University I'm sure. The victim obviously does not want to testify.

I am sure the lawsuit would be against the University but should they lose, it would not be good for them at all. They better be able to prove without a doubt nothing happened. If they can prove this, I hope they sue the ###### out of SLU as well. I am just saying that they had better be able to show proof or they end up looking even worse.

If they just transfer, it is all forgotten in 2 years by everyone except the player, the accuser, and peple on this board.

I am sure the lawsuit would be against the University but should they lose, it would not be good for them at all. They better be able to prove without a doubt nothing happened. If they can prove this, I hope they sue the ###### out of SLU as well. I am just saying that they had better be able to show proof or they end up looking even worse.

If they just transfer, it is all forgotten in 2 years by everyone except the player, the accuser, and peple on this board.

I disagree.

Maybe Nark can clarify here, but if I am the guys, I attack SLU for the way the situation was handled. Prejudice and so forth. Why even risk talking about what happened that night? This suit has to do with fair and equal treatment during the conduct board hearing.

If half the stuff that I have heard in regards to how this whole thing went down, it should be an easy victory for Willie and Kwamain.

Good...Can't wait to see what happens. Look, if SLU knew anything illegal happened, then like almost everyone on here said, they'd be out, gone, history. This is all about SLU trying to be something that they are not. Students make the school, and I can tell you, the guys I hung out with were in shock when they didn't have a random hookup (take hookup any way you want) every weekend. I've heard people say that other things have built up to bring this on, but I doubt both of these players had the same track record other than this one incident. In my eyes, this is crap and I hope they throw eveyrthing they've got at SLU. I know some good lawyers boys. Sick to my stomach right now.

Good...Can't wait to see what happens. Look, if SLU knew anything illegal happened, then like almost everyone on here said, they'd be out, gone, history. This is all about SLU trying to be something that they are not. Students make the school, and I can tell you, the guys I hung out with were in shock when they didn't have a random hookup (take hookup any way you want) every weekend. I've heard people say that other things have built up to bring this on, but I doubt both of these players had the same track record other than this one incident. In my eyes, this is crap and I hope they throw eveyrthing they've got at SLU. I know some good lawyers boys. Sick to my stomach right now.

There's a tad bit of difference between a "hookup" and sexual assault.

I disagree.

Maybe Nark can clarify here, but if I am the guys, I attack SLU for the way the situation was handled. Prejudice and so forth. Why even risk talking about what happened that night? This suit has to do with fair and equal treatment during the conduct board hearing.

If half the stuff that I have heard in regards to how this whole thing went down, it should be an easy victory for Willie and Kwamain.

I know no inside info so I will defer to you on that. Even if SLU handled this improperly, which wouldn't surprise me, SLU will be better armed when it comes to trial and they players stand to lose more then the university does.

There's a tad bit of difference between a "hookup" and sexual assault.

Exactly..thanks for proving my point. Re-read my post. I said if anything illegal happened they would be gone for good. Are they? NOPE. Last time I checked, sexual assault was illegal. This is all about SLU trying to be above the rest and thinking their students don't have kinky pre-marital sex. Later RB2.0