Mitchell and Reed suspended

ACE

There's a tad bit of difference between a "hookup" and sexual assault.

Additionally, this is a no win situation for the players or SLU. They brought this upon themselves (regardless of what the details are, something happened). If SLU had left this alone, the University woiuld get attacked as giving special treatment to athletes. Had they suspended/expelled the players, they are attacked mercilously on this board. There's no good solution.

This is a real crappy situation all the way around. There are no winners at all.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know no inside info so I will defer to you on that. Even if SLU handled this improperly, which wouldn't surprise me, SLU will be better armed when it comes to trial and they players stand to lose more then the university does.

The players lose whether it goes to trial or not, so why not go after the University?

Exactly..thanks for proving my point. Re-read my post. I said if anything illegal happened they would be gone for good. Are they? NOPE. Last time I checked, sexual assault was illegal. This is all about SLU trying to be above the rest and thinking their students don't have kinky pre-marital sex. Later RB2.0

You are completely wrong. Suspensions for "violations of student policy" occur every week at Universities across the country without "illegal" activities taking place. They are suspended under a violation of the conduct policy for a semester, game, year, whatever is deemed acceptable.

Additionally, this is a no win situation for the players or SLU. They brought this upon themselves (regardless of what the details are, something happened). If SLU had left this alone, the University woiuld get attacked as giving special treatment to athletes. Had they suspended/expelled the players, they are attacked mercilously on this board. There's no good solution.

This is a real crappy situation all the way around. There are no winners at all.

Or special treatment to major donors...pick your poison. No one knows what happened..all we know is there wasn't anything saying they did anything illegal. I wouldn't be throwing out sexual assault in posts, like you did previously. Sexual assault never took place. If it did, they'd be gone for good. End of story.

You are completely wrong. Suspensions for "violations of student policy" occur every week at Universities across the country without "illegal" activities taking place. They are suspended under a violation of the conduct policy for a semester, game, year, whatever is deemed acceptable.

Once again, if having drunken sex is a punishable offense at SLU, most everyone on this board should have been punished. I violated student policy, and was caught numerous times, but was never actually punished with any severity by slu. Too bad these guys were just because the admins want to keep up some bs image.

Get lost RB, go celebrate somewhere else.

You still don't get it huh? You said there is a difference between a hookup and sexual assault. If sexual assault did in fact happen, they would be gone! Not that hard to understand. I also understand that random hookups might not be the SLU way, etc..and that is exactly what is happening...they are being suspended for not going about their personal lives in the 'SLU' way whatever the hell that is...not sure why you aren't understanding what I'm saying..

Or special treatment to major donors...pick your poison. No one knows what happened..all we know is there wasn't anything saying they did anything illegal. I wouldn't be throwing out sexual assault in posts, like you did previously. Sexual assault never took place. If it did, they'd be gone for good. End of story.

Tell you what, you give me your season tickets because I still want to go the games while you sit out and protest the school. I'll be happy to accept them.

You still don't get it huh? You said there is a difference between a hookup and sexual assault. If sexual assault did in fact happen, they would be gone! Not that hard to understand. I also understand that random hookups might not be the SLU way, etc..and that is exactly what is happening...they are being suspended for not going about their personal lives in the 'SLU' way whatever the hell that is...not sure why you aren't understanding what I'm saying..

I love drunken hookups, however, I never got thrown out of school for a druken hookup. I'm pretty sure that certain members of the basketball team have been doing them for years and noone gets suspended for it. Clearly something else happened. Bottom line is, there's only 3 people who know what happened.

The players lose whether it goes to trial or not, so why not go after the University?

They potentially stand to lose more, like I said IMHO if they just leave, save for a few people, this is all forgotten in a few years. The university has a 900 million dollar endowment, they have more resources and all they have to do is prove a violation of the student conduct code took place and their actions are justified by the court. The players have to prove they did nothing wrong, we all know, sexual assault or not, there were most likely multiple violations of the code of conduct that night. SLU has suspended/expelled many people before and will continue for mutiple violations of the code.

Tell you what, you give me your season tickets because I still want to go the games while you sit out and protest the school. I'll be happy to accept them.

Who said anything about me sitting out and protesting the school? Haha. Wonder what you are going to pull out of your ass next. Don't quit your day job pal.

A gross overreaction.

True, Baylor had a frigging murder and they're back. Mizzery w/ all that Clemmons crap and numerous players having brushes w/ the law. The difference here was there were no laws broken, and the school became judge and jury. Whether they come back will depend on RM though. If they're attached at the hip to him they'll stay. If not, they'll likely depart. Question is if they leave now and transfer do they have to sit out next year? If not they may very well be gone.

Once again, if having drunken sex is a punishable offense at SLU, most everyone on this board should have been punished. I violated student policy, and was caught numerous times, but was never actually punished with any severity by slu. Too bad these guys were just because the admins want to keep up some bs image.

Get lost RB, go celebrate somewhere else.

+1 Agree, 100%

Exactly. So why are two of them thrown out of school? The other one must be reeeeaalll trustworthy

Who knows. Everyone is speculating at this point.

I want to know what "big donor" had such a beef with Willie and Kwamain, two players who had a chance to elevate this program from mediocrity to a legit tourny hopeful team, thus bringing up the name recognition of the school, benefiting everyone associated with SLU?

They potentially stand to lose more, like I said IMHO if they just leave, save for a few people, this is all forgotten in a few years. The university has a 900 million dollar endowment, they have more resources and all they have to do is prove a violation of the student conduct code took place and their actions are justified by the court. The players have to prove they did nothing wrong, we all know, sexual assault or not, there were most likely multiple violations of the code of conduct that night. SLU has suspended/expelled many people before and will continue for mutiple violations of the code.

Saluki, if some of the rumored facts and circumstances about how the process was handled are indeed accurate, the university may have a significant civil rights claim against them. If this case were to get in front of a city jury, it would be a nightmare for the university. The university cannot just point to their code of conduct and claim immunity; federal and state laws will be alleged to be violated.

I love drunken hookups, however, I never got thrown out of school for a druken hookup. I'm pretty sure that certain members of the basketball team have been doing them for years and noone gets suspended for it. Clearly something else happened. Bottom line is, there's only 3 people who know what happened.

How do you know something else happened? Obviously it was nothing illegal or else they'd be gone. Look I agree, I don't know what happened that night, but I do know that if SLU thought anything was done illegally, they would have been OUT when this happened. SLU is trying to keep a squeaky clean image and they don't want to look like they are giving special treatment to athletes. Something tells me that if this was an average Joe, he wouldn't be out a semester.

How do you know something else happened? Obviously it was nothing illegal or else they'd be gone. Look I agree, I don't know what happened that night, but I do know that if SLU thought anything was done illegally, they would have been OUT when this happened. SLU is trying to keep a squeaky clean image and they don't want to look like they are giving special treatment to athletes. Something tells me that if this was an average Joe, he wouldn't be out a semester.

I know an average Joe who was kicked out of the dorms and forced to live off campus for a "violation of student policy" freshmen year. He had a meeting with the student board and was told he was being kicking out of residence life and no longer allowed in a dorm, SLU apartment, or any other Res Life building. I suppose the University could have forced them off campus instead but given the fact that they are athletes, they may have wanted to make a stronger statement. Who knows, all speculation.

i have talked to a number of credible folks tonite and there actually may be more to consider.

mitchell and reed are now suspended as students. i.e. not in class and no chance to pass any classes. even though that suspension ends at semester break, there is likely a number of classes that needed to be passed to be eligible to play the next semester. i.e. they might be back as students but not as players until fall of 2011. i dont know for sure, but it sure makes sense. dont shoot the messenger.

But do they permit paid attorneys at the proceedings? It is just a rumor but if it is true that the female was allowed legal representation at the proceedings, it is a different matter. Was the attorney's sole goal here to get the SLU players kicked off the team?

Saluki, if some of the rumored facts and circumstances about how the process was handled are indeed accurate, the university may have a significant civil rights claim against them. If this case were to get in front of a city jury, it would be a nightmare for the university. The university cannot just point to their code of conduct and claim immunity; federal and state laws will be alleged to be violated.

nark, I know you are privy to way more inside info than I would ever hope to be. I will defer to you guys on this and drop it. Maybe I am just hoping this whole thing will go away.

Unless backhand can predict the future, this decision was reached last week and they delayed notification to the players until today. I had said they would be told on Monday of the semester suspension. I would assume the wait was to dot their I's and cross their T's legally and publically (miserable failure there).

But I really hope these guys stick it to SLU.

I cant wait for another call or mail for a donation.