JJ transferring

look mr bandwagon jumper, which is it? mediocre or go dII. there is a big difference. i wouldnt have started the debate if big bill fan would have said mediocre. i agree that is all the program has been (and still is btw). and i agree we are poised to move up.

however your disgusting post went even further south than big bill fan. and anyone that was a season ticket holder from the 70's and went through ekker and coleman, wouldntg have picked the soderberg era to jump off. that makes absolutely no sense. if you want to admit you quit coming to your one or two games a year i might believe that though. i got your MO now though. btw, is "westy and davola" supposed to give you some sort of credibility? hahahaha

Easy big fella

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Majerus took over a program that was, like we agreed on, mediocre at best....To fix it quickly, he brought in really good, but really big recruiting classes. Now people have to leave to even out the classes. We loved being the youngest team, but if we want to continue to build, you sometimes have to do things that are out of the ordinary. I criticized JJ on this board before, but I also don't want to see him leave. He had great moments, and also out of control and very poor moments. I wish him well and hope he can be a starter for a mid major level team. I think we all agree that he was going to be towards the bottom of the depth chart this year and hopefully it will work out for him to leave, whether he was forced out or if he left on his own accord.

look mr bandwagon jumper, which is it? mediocre or go dII. there is a big difference. i wouldnt have started the debate if big bill fan would have said mediocre. i agree that is all the program has been (and still is btw). and i agree we are poised to move up.

however your disgusting post went even further south than big bill fan. and anyone that was a season ticket holder from the 70's and went through ekker and coleman, wouldntg have picked the soderberg era to jump off. that makes absolutely no sense. if you want to admit you quit coming to your one or two games a year i might believe that though. i got your MO now though. btw, is "westy and davola" supposed to give you some sort of credibility? hahahaha

i don't give a crap about Big Bill Fan. I stand by everything that i have said. I guess i should be ashamed, ok, i'm ashamed. does that help Broy. feel better.

I am one of those old-timers who goes back to Ekker, Coleman, Albrecht, Polk. I recognize this is a whole new era in Billiken basketball and that is a very, very good thing. We're in a situation many of us are not used to. Our biggest worry now seems to be whether the 10th, 11th or 12th man on the depth chart is going to transfer. The days of Troy Robertson, Justin Johnson, Larry Simmons and Bryce Husak being content sitting on the bench for four years are over. We are bringing in a higher level of player who wants to play. Jordan was a big time scorer in high school. That's what he is used to. I could see why he would want to look for another opportunity.

With JJ transferring it will give KC a chance to chuck up more 3s and give the rim and backboard (not to mention the shot clock and the stanchion) a good working over. Of course should be able to go the whole season without replacing the nets.

With JJ transferring it will give KC a chance to chuck up more 3s and give the rim and backboard (not to mention the shot clock and the stanchion) a good working over. Of course should be able to go the whole season without replacing the nets.

are you the Backhand in disguise?

once again you are changing the subject. if or big bill fan want to say, better than mediocre. fine say that. the point is the billiken program was not a loser for 75% of the last 25 years.

i am not advocating be happy with mediocre. i just dont want the results of a lot of past billikens associated with "loser". they were not losers. and i for one respect our billiken past more than that.

Roy, get of your pedestal. The fact is Roy, we have been a mediocre program for a long time (as in average ). Yes, we may have a winning recored in 18 of the past 25 years, but we traditionally have piled up a lot of early nonconfernce wins against cupcakes and then had mediocre record in confernce play. Now that said, no one here has called any of the past players losers. You on the other hand, the self proclaimed greatest billiken fan, go out of your way to insult and denigrate our head coach at every opportunity. Tell me exactly how do your repeated negative comments help our program?

Yeah, I cannot figure out why Majerus is playing a 6-5 PG this much, a guy who shoots 33% from 3 pt land and is one of the best defenders on the team.

Yeah, I cannot figure out why Majerus is playing a 6-5 PG this much, a guy who shoots 33% from 3 pt land and is one of the best defenders on the team.

Here is hoping KC is due and finds his shot for second semester; otherwise it is going to be the M&M boys

Here is hoping KC is due and finds his shot for second semester; otherwise it is going to be the M&M boys

One thing I like about KC, besides his tenacious D and savvy, is that on occasion he has shown the ability to create his own shot off the dribble and a screen to get a layup. If his Defender fears his 3 pt shot, that will make him all the more effective.

Yes, we may have a winning recored in 18 of the past 25 years, but we traditionally have piled up a lot of early nonconfernce wins against cupcakes and then had mediocre record in confernce play.

our non conference strength of schedule has gotten even weaker.

look you called the program a loser. the facts are slu has not been a consistent loser since ekker days. call it mediocre. that i will agree with.

as to my record vs rickma. i have been complimentary concerning rickma on matters as well. just so happens i take exceptions with some of his interpersonal skills and lack of program ambassadorship.

you will have to look pretty hard to find instances of complaining about his game coaching.

you just choose to remember my negative comments because i am one of the few that stand up to the wrongs of rick majerus. i will continue to stick up for the players and the overall program and saint louis university. you can be a rickma fan, i choose to support saint louis university who has an employee named rick majerus.

just curious goslu68, if mitchell and mccall have two of the main positions, and ellis and reed have two more, are you saying that cassity wouldnt be the fifth player? he would play before salecich. the only other possibility is loe steps in, but seriously i just dont see ellis being able to cover the strong wings. hopefully i am wrong, the size advantages would be nice.

I think we'd be going too fast after something when we could wait and get something better.

1 - We should wait if anyone else leaves, if so get the Majok cousins (Ater Majok and Majok Majok). We'd be a little heavy on the bigs, but Ater would have to sit out next year so it wouldn't be that bad. Not to mention PE and FJ are 2 more guards that will be seeing the court more if healthy.

2 - If everyone else stays, I think our best option is to return the scholarship to PE for a year and then just use the spot for the 2011 recruiting class. If we sign Jett then we wouldn't be able to offer a scholarship for 2 years (on paper). Jordair Jett may seem like a good land for SLU right now, but if we are going to be a top 30 team as some predict, we could raise some eyebrows from the Bradley Beals of the recruiting class. If SLU gets a good ranking next year, there is no reason Beal would want to go to Florida etc. over SLU. It's close to home, better education, better coaching staff, better facilities. Let's home he doesn't sign in the fall and decides to wait 'til spring. Jordair Jett is good for what's currently available- problem is everything is pretty well picked over. With 13 players on the team right now (12 +PE), we aren't desperate for a body. Let's wait til next year when the pickings will be amazing.

Question for Nate: What are the chances Beal will sign in the fall and if he doesn't when is the next time a deal can be made official? Basically I'm wondering if players have to wait til the spring signing day in mid-April if they don't sign in the fall? We would need until January or so to prove ourselves as a premiere program.

BK, this is a great post! I love your idea re renewing the ath. sch for PE who was a great leader off the court last year. If PE wants to play next year he is worthy of that 13th scholarship.

The above is especially true if we would be able to add an outstanding outside shooter or a high quality player along the lines of a Beal the following year-remember that scholarship would be the ONLY one available for the next recruiting class.

I don't see the need for a player of Jett's reputed ability to be locked up with a scholarship for the next 4 years. If Jordan wasn't going to get much playing time the next 2 yrs., then how would Jett and if that's the case why would we need to sign him now. Would he leapfrog over KM, MM, KC or CS during the next two seasons? In my opinion, NO. If he isn't a program changer, I say don't lock up that scholarship for 4 more yrs.

JJ's leaving was to be expected given the number of guards above him on the depth chart, but I'm not sure who else will leave to open up another scholarship the following year. Keep in mind that if getting PT is difficult with 12 players, it is just that much harder with 13. I'm pretty happy withour current group of 12, plus PE making up the 13 scholarship group for the upcoming season.

I like Jordan a lot and would have been perfectly fine if he stayed. I can understand him wanting to move on. What a difference from the past. In some years, Jordan would have been our best recruit and a 2-3 year starter. Now, players have to truly compete for playing time and not just get minutes by default. This is so much better. A coach should always be trying to recruit over his current players.

There are several ways to go with this open scholarship. This team does not seem to have any major weaknesses, but I think a player like Clyburn would have fit in well, as I think the 3 is still a little bit of a question mark. The point guard is so important for RM, as he is always looking for the next Andre Miller :lol: , so landing Jett makes some sense. Redshirt Jett, have him play one year behind Kwamain, and then he would be ready to go after KM graduates. It would allow McCall to continue to bounce between the 1 and 2. A player like Majok wouldn't be bad either. He could redshirt or Cory could. We could also save the scholarship (Ugh! I never thought I would say that). The bottom line is that we can afford to be very selective. What a great position to be in!

Why would we tie up a precious sch. for 5 years with Jett? I think that scholarship can be put to much better use next year with a player much better than Jett is reputed to be. Don't think he is anywhere near good enough to be 1/13th of our sch. roster for 5 years.

BK, this is a great post! I love your idea re renewing the ath. sch for PE who was a great leader off the court last year. If PE wants to play next year he is worthy of that 13th scholarship.

The above is especially true if we would be able to add an outstanding outside shooter or a high quality player along the lines of a Beal the following year-remember that scholarship would the ONLY one available for the next recruiting class.

I don't see the need for a player of Jett's reputed ability to be locked up with a scholarship for the next 4 years. If Jordan wasn't going to get much playing time the next 2 yrs., then how would Jett and if that's the case why would we need to sign him now. Would he leapfrog over KM, MM, KC or CS during the next two seasons? In my opinion, NO. If he isn't a program changer, I say don't lock up that scholarship for 4 more yrs.

JJ's leaving was to be expected given the number of guards above him on the depth chart, but I'm not sure who else will leave to open up another scholarship the following year. Keep in mind that if getting PT is difficult with 12 players, it is just that much harder with 13. I'm pretty happy withour current group of 12, plus PE making up the 13 scholarship group for the upcoming season.

Not to be a smartass, but if Beal (or other high ranking player for 2011) is interested in SLU, I'm sure we'll make room for him. With that being the case, why wouldn't RM try to improve the team for 2010 and fill the last spot? Although I may question it from time-to-time, in terms of getting the best team on the floor in 2010, it makes sense to offer the last schollie to the best player we can get and not give PE the athletic schollie.

As a side note, I don't see PE getting much time on the court.

I'm outraged! The Dude needs to be banned; we sat together and saw KC enjoy a tremendous year, yet he didn't quite appreciate the nuances of what he brings to the team. Next year it's 43% from threeland for Kyle.

Not to be a smartass, but if Beal (or other high ranking player for 2011) is interested in SLU, I'm sure we'll make room for him. With that being the case, why wouldn't RM try to improve the team for 2010 and fill the last spot? Although I may question it from time-to-time, in terms of getting the best team on the floor in 2010, it makes sense to offer the last schollie to the best player we can get and not give PE the athletic schollie.

As a side note, I don't see PE getting much time on the court.

Have we also forgot that PE already has a scholarship that I don't think is in jeopardy of being lost anytime soon. Why not try to better the team. I think Majerus has a responsibility to the rest of the team and billiken fans to better the team by adding players if he has room.

The above is especially true if we would be able to add an outstanding outside shooter or a high quality player along the lines of a Beal the following year-remember that scholarship would the ONLY one available for the next recruiting class.

Ahhhh yes..... a suggestion to return to the days of Brad "holding scholarships" for the future. I just don't get it. Each team has 13 scholarships. Why not use them.

PE?? Let me remind everyone that he had no scholarship at SLU and was just fine with that. No big time programs offered him at all in highschool - for a reason. PE was given an athletic scholarship when we had numerous to give out and contributed while playing with Brad's kids: BH, Justin Johnson, etc. There is no comparison between the level of talent when PE last ran the floor for us and now. PE cannot play with the likes of the current players - plain and simple.

Giving a scholarship to Jett v. keeping JJ is completely different. KM will now be a Jr. Jett would sit behind KM for only 2 years. JJ would have sit behind KM for 3 years. For continuity purposes, good PGs should be recruited every other year so that we have a Frosh - JR or a Soph - Sr. Jett apparently is better, taller and has more potential than JJ anyway.

Why would we tie up a precious sch. for 5 years with Jett? I think that scholarship can be put to much better use next year with a player much better than Jett is reputed to be. Don't think he is anywhere near good enough to be 1/13th of our sch. roster for 5 years.

Jett reportedly was offered a scholarship by Baylor, a #3 seed in the NCAA Tournament. I think he can play a little bit. Beal is not coming here, so just drop that one. Agree with moytoy, what's the point of giving Paul the scholarship. If we can still find a good player with the 13th scholarship this year, let's do it. My thought on redshirting Jett, was distancing him from Kwamain and dropping him a year behind McCall. If RM thinks Jett has a role on next year's team, I'm fine with that too. Then maybe Remekun, Smith or Evans redshirt.

Jett reportedly was offered a scholarship by Baylor, a #3 seed in the NCAA Tournament. I think he can play a little bit. Beal is not coming here, so just drop that one. Agree with moytoy, what's the point of giving Paul the scholarship. If we can still find a good player with the 13th scholarship this year, let's do it. My thought on redshirting Jett, was distancing him from Kwamain and dropping him a year behind McCall. If RM thinks Jett has a role on next year's team, I'm fine with that too. Then maybe Remekun, Smith or Evans redshirt.

I agree with the fact that Jett is obviously a good player, and would be a good land. I don't see how people think we could easily get someone better than him next year, that would mean a player of Beal's caliber, which in all likelihood isn't going to happen. Jett and Kwamain would start together in the back court, mark my word.

BTW- There's zero chance Jett would redshirt, considering he will already be an year old freshman because of prep school.

Have we also forgot that PE already has a scholarship that I don't think is in jeopardy of being lost anytime soon. Why not try to better the team. I think Majerus has a responsibility to the rest of the team and billiken fans to better the team by adding players if he has room.

You are mistaken. Had Jordan stayed, there would be no b-ball scholarship for Eckerle.

• Mitchell
  • Reed
  • Conklin
  • Cassity
  • John
  • Ellis
  • Salecich
  • Remekun
  • Smith
  • Jordan
  • Evans
  • McCall
  • Loe

If Coach Majerus doesn't bring anyone in to replace Jordan, then Eckerle could get the schollie for a fourth season. But he had already relinquished it, and they signed McCall with it.

You are mistaken. Had Jordan stayed, there would be no b-ball scholarship for Eckerle.

• Mitchell
  • Reed
  • Conklin
  • Cassity
  • John
  • Ellis
  • Salecich
  • Remekun
  • Smith
  • Jordan
  • Evans
  • McCall
  • Loe

If Coach Majerus doesn't bring anyone in to replace Jordan, then Eckerle could get the schollie for a fourth season. But he had already relinquished it, and they signed McCall with it.

Oh but I'm not mistaken. I never said it was an athletic scholarship. I am referring to his full academic scholarship.

Where did you get the idea that Jett is not an outstanding prospect? He has an espn rating of 90, as a comparison Mike McCall, who everone is excited about ( including me ), has an espn rating of 82. RM isn't going to bring some one in at this stage unless he thinks he can provide help.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/...ruitId%3d102215

video

http://prepstars.com/recruiting_news/2010/...0610.jsp#target