JJ transferring

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, I didn't want to see that, but it isn't really a surprise.

I thought he logged good minutes for a FR, but obviously he's looking at the future and wondering what's next. Too bad, he sometimes proved to be a scoring spark off the bench and his D was coming along. This does not sound like a run off or slash job to make room for someone who's verballed, ie Jett. It would be interesting to know if JJ informed RM and staff that he was leaning this way and they were forced to bring in Jett for a visit, or if it was the opposite, ie they were interested in inking Jett and JJ started wondering, "hey where are my minutes coming from?" Wish him well in his search for a new team where he'll get MPG. Wouldn't be surprised if he becomes another Relphorde at a decent mid major school.

I don't blame JJ. The writing was on the wall. I would bet he can be a good scoring guard a different school. I'm sure RM will help him find a school that is the right fit and he has a productive career at a place where he can play 30 min a game.

Best of luck to Justin. I always hate to see kids leave, but he obviously realized playing time was going to be real hard to come by with the talent we currently have and have coming in. Nobody wants to work as hard as Majerus makes these kids workd then never see the floor. I'll continue to follow his career as he seemed like a good guy.

... waiting for Billiken Roy's invective.

no big deal. to be expected. in fact assuming rickma wants to keep his average up probably sending out one more yet as well.

Not sure what the situation was exactly here. We had heard for sometime that JJ was thinking about transferring. While I was not hoping he transferred I can honestly say I was not sure how he was going to fit in. He was basically a Polk clone but he could shoot a little better. He played shorter then 5'10" - in fact I doubt he was that tall. He was quick but had trouble protecting the ball. Could he have been a decent bench player for us - of course - but if he had higher expectations then moving on was his only chance. I doubt anybody else will leave at this point.

no big deal. to be expected. in fact assuming rickma wants to keep his average up probably sending out one more yet as well.

I used to give you trouble in the past about drawing conclusions on guys like BT and the kid from Alton. But this one has me suspicious as well.

Yeah, it could be JJ's choice. But after playing quite a bit as a freshman, you think his mindset would be that he has a chance to do some things here. I am surprised by the transfer.

Of course, he could have seen that KC, KM, and CS are in front of him and will remain in front of him for at least 2 more years and made his own decision. I just have a feeling that the coaching staff could have said that those 3 guys are in front of you and will remain there and we are recruiting over you, so you would be better off going somewhere else. I am not sure if I like that, with someone you recruited in the first place and a player who got better and did make significant contributions during the year as a freshman.

I used to give you trouble in the past about drawing conclusions on guys like BT and the kid from Alton. But this one has me suspicious as well.

Yeah, it could be JJ's choice. But after playing quite a bit as a freshman, you think his mindset would be that he has a chance to do some things here. I am surprised by the transfer.

Of course, he could have seen that KC, KM, and CS are in front of him and will remain in front of him for at least 2 more years and made his own decision. I just have a feeling that the coaching staff could have said that those 3 guys are in front of you and will remain there and we are recruiting over you, so you would be better off going somewhere else. I am not sure if I like that, with someone you recruited in the first place and a player who got better and did make significant contributions during the year as a freshman.

Nate's article states that JJ was fourth on the team in assists, and gave his 3 pt percentage. Does anyone know how that percentage ranked on the team?

mhg

Guest BillikenReport

Nate's article states that JJ was fourth on the team in assists, and gave his 3 pt percentage. Does anyone know how that percentage ranked on the team?

mhg

His percentage was best on the team, though he ranked fifth in attempts.

http://www.slubillikens.com/sports/m-baskb...e.html#TEAM.IND

It is my understanding that Jordan was told he wasn't going to play much next year, but that he would still have his scholarship if he wanted to stay at SLU. If true, that's good that the coaches were honest with him about his playing time and gave him the opportunity to look around if he chose to.

It is my understanding that Jordan was told he wasn't going to play much next year, but that he would still have his scholarship if he wanted to stay at SLU. If true, that's good that the coaches were honest with him about his playing time and gave him the opportunity to look around if he chose to.

I believe you nate, not sure the haters will though

and that's exactly how it should have been done. If you were JJ would you stay? If you were JJ wouldn't you want to hear the coaches realistic thoughts on your potential playing time

I thought JJ had a solid year, but you have to think no matter who's decision it was that it was better for JJ. KM, KC, CS, MM would all have been in front of him in playing time eventually I would think, and with DE and CE maybe playing the 3, that takes away another guard spot technically, so his playing time was definitely going to take a cut. I think he could be a solid player on a mid major type team. He seems to be the type of guy who would have fit well on Cornell this year, where they have a lot of freedom to shoot from 3 on offense. I was disappointed with JJ at times this year, but you never want to see anyone leave. I wish him well.

You have to think that Jett will probably be coming in now. I expect that he will just join the guard rotation. I don't mind having all these guards because we say how tired we got at the end of this past year. I think him and MM would be a very scary guard duo by their junior year.

JJ was definitely an underrated clutch shooter. He hit a lot of key trey's this season. Not to mention he was extremely smooth on the court and crafty with his passes and set ups for a freshman. Out of all the freshman on the team, he definitely had the most court composure. He seemed unusually calm and under control for a freshmen.

I'd take JJ over Jordair Jett anyday. I hope and pray that he isn't coming to replace JJ.

I'd take JJ over Jordair Jett anyday. I hope and pray that he isn't coming to replace JJ.

I don't know how you can say that yet. I know the rankings are somewhat crap, but Jordair has a very high rating by ESPN, and was recruited by some big time D1 schools. Sure, you could be right..but I just think it's a little early to say that.

I don't know how you can say that yet. I know the rankings are somewhat crap, but Jordair has a very high rating by ESPN, and was recruited by some big time D1 schools. Sure, you could be right..but I just think it's a little early to say that.

I would only say that because I'd rather get another big, like Majok2 or Ater Majok. Jett is probably an upgrade. I just don't see a "need" for another guard.

SLU needs better class balance. Ideally each class would have three to four players — mostly three. Without most of the players clumped within two years, guys would be able to see that, though they may just "contribute" as freshmen and sophomores, as juniors and seniors they'll be counted on as leaders.

I'm sad to see Justin Jordan leave, but it does appear likely that, with Kwamain Mitchell just a year ahead of him, he wouldn't start until his senior season. I think JJ was the only Billiken who used a year of eligibility in 2009-10 who didn't start a game.

In 2010-11, the Bills will have 4 jrs, 5 sophs, and 3 frs (pending the possibility of another). That's somewhat better balance.

JJ was definitely an underrated clutch shooter. He hit a lot of key trey's this season. Not to mention he was extremely smooth on the court and crafty with his passes and set ups for a freshman. Out of all the freshman on the team, he definitely had the most court composure. He seemed unusually calm and under control for a freshmen.

Jordan had a nice 3pt shot but he had a hard time getting shots off sometimes due to his size. I did like the way he took the ball to the basket and took contact or dished it off. I liked having JJ in a SLU uniform. As for him being "extremely smooth" and "under control", I have got to disagree. He was too fast for his ball handling skills, which led to out of control ball handling on several occasions and although he looked smooth at times he was far from extremely smooth on the court. I liked having him here but JJ leaving is the best thing for his playing time. He is among the majority of college basketball players who only have a few years until their careers are over. The majority of these players including JJ want to make the most out of these few years.

SLU needs better class balance. Ideally each class would have three to four players — mostly three. Without most of the players clumped within two years, guys would be able to see that, though they may just "contribute" as freshmen and sophomores, as juniors and seniors they'll be counted on as leaders.

I'm sad to see Justin Jordan leave, but it does appear likely that, with Kwamain Mitchell just a year ahead of him, he wouldn't start until his senior season. I think JJ was the only Billiken who used a year of eligibility in 2009-10 who didn't start a game.

In 2010-11, the Bills will have 4 jrs, 5 sophs, and 3 frs (pending the possibility of another). That's somewhat better balance.

Exactly.

That is what is going on.

Necessary.

Not desireable.

Necessary.

JJ seems to be a good kid and helped us; though if Femi John and Reid were healthy, would he have gotten much PT?

And in the future, it was clear he was going to get very little playing time.

In 2 yrs or so, there will be very few players transferring like this....