Jordair Jett to SLU?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a hard time seeing Majerus and the staff going after a guy if they didn't have a plan for him. I really loved this years' team and I don't want to see those starters and top bench players get pushed way down the depth chart, but at the same time, I think we are all ready for another NCAA tournament appearance.

Im not sure what to think about this whole situation. I think Jett is a great catch if we get him. hes rated as a 90 according to espn. but thompson was an 89 so you do the math. I dont agree with pushing someone out. But like an academic scholarship here at SLU you get lets say $5,500 for an academic scholarship but you have to keep a 3.0 gpa to keep it. You dont, so you lose your scholarship. Same with basketball. You get free tuition for playing a game. If you dont show signs of improvement that money may go elsewhere when coaches jobs depend on performance on a year to year basis. Yes its cut throat buts thats how it works. Hope JJ gets to stay though think he plays a big part in team chemistry.

Im not sure what to think about this whole situation. I think Jett is a great catch if we get him. hes rated as a 90 according to espn. but thompson was an 89 so you do the math. I dont agree with pushing someone out. But like an academic scholarship here at SLU you get lets say $5,500 for an academic scholarship but you have to keep a 3.0 gpa to keep it. You dont, so you lose your scholarship. Same with basketball. You get free tuition for playing a game. If you dont show signs of improvement that money may go elsewhere when coaches jobs depend on performance on a year to year basis. Yes its cut throat buts thats how it works. Hope JJ gets to stay though think he plays a big part in team chemistry.

Thompson was actually rated at 68 but when they recorded the rating in their system the sheet with the rating was upside down and therefore an 89 was recorded. I know a guy who knows a guy who told him that.

I am not sure about Jett though, I'm going to have to try to watch some other film on him. I really wasn't overly impressed by anything he did in the clip that was posted earlier. But obviosly he has impressed a lot of people to be considered one of the top unsigned point guards. As for your scholarship talk, I agree, that is just how the system works.

If this indeed occurs, the RM detractors will come out once again and label him SLU's version of Darth Vader. The prep stars video called him one of the nation's top unsigned pg's, so why would pass on him? Recruiting over someone is not a moral decision, it is a business decision. We can't fault RM and staff for getting the program to a winning level with the best players they can bring to SLU. There's nothing to be gained by us discussing who's leaving or who should leave. It's between RM and the young man. I hope it's an amicable split that is win win for both parties. For those who will slam RM, look what Cotto and Thompson did to him. Who's to say someone else currently on the roster isn't having similar thoughts?

I have no problem with RM still recruiting and improving the talent base. IMO, though, we need an pure outside shooter (other than from a big). FJ and KC are not pure outside shooters - zone breakers. Rather, they are good kids who can do some other really nice things on the court but really aren't outside threats. Yes, both of them can make a 3 pointer, both can get on a roll and have some good games with success from the outside and both will probably get better with time, but outside shooting does not appear to be the strength of their games. Was sorry that things did not work out for Jeff Ried who, admittedly, needed some work before really contributing; however, his strength truly appeared to be his outside shooting. MM and DE seem like really, really good players but they don't appear to be the deadly outside shooter like we enjoyed with KL and like RM was pursuing with, correct me if I am wrong, the Roth from the Southern Illinois area.

72. You take a pass on a kid if you already have that need filled. Competition is great but too many of one position and not enough of another is not good either as dis-satisfaction and dissention can occur. RM, though, knows what he's doing.

IMO, JJ was a last minute or late addition last Spring and probably really was a 1 year deal. JJ never appeared to be the heir apparent of KM for many reasons and his signing was abit perplexing to me based on the long-term. MM (2 years younger than KM) does appear to be the heir apparent. Now, possibly Jett? Maybe RM wants 2 young PG's for a total of 3. I am not going to second guess RM as he knows what he is trying to do. From my perspective, another 6'2" to 6'5" outside shooter seems more like what the team needs. A team can never had too many pure shooters.

JS is another one. He is a project at the both the 3 and the 4. If he plays the 3, he seems like he will always be better as a smaller forward than as a bigger guard. He also will likely improve his game (including his outside shoot) but does not appear to ever become the pure shooting zone breaker for the team. If RM sees potential and was to develop him, then great. Probably, he's a redshirt now with the addition of RL and the play of BC, CE and CR. Seems rather crowded especially if JS cannot be an outside threat. Maybe JS, on his own, says he wants to leave.

FJ

I hope RM is up front with each kid he recruits and tells them they may only be here for a year. I have no inclination whether he does or not, but it'd just make all this a lot easier to swallow. Again, I understand the argument for continuing to sign players. I still have an uneasy feeling about it.

I hope RM is up front with each kid he recruits and tells them they may only be here for a year. I have no inclination whether he does or not, but it'd just make all this a lot easier to swallow. Again, I understand the argument for continuing to sign players. I still have an uneasy feeling about it.

Boytoy-

RM was given a 7 figure salary to win.

Of course everything is just speculation at this point, but if Jett comes in to replace Jordan, there are a lot of ways this could play out. Jett could redshirt and then only have to play one year behind KM. If not, maybe McCall's future is more at the 2, which is fine with me. It sounds like MM is more of a natural scorer well suited for the 2, who can also play the point. On the other hand, Jett seems to fit the description more of a pure point guard. One of the reports on Jett described him as a poor man's Khalid El Amin, the guy who played at UConn. Sounds like a tough kid who makes everybody around him better.

I like Jordan more than many on this board, but if he wants more playing time in a role where he is a big scorer, than he probably needs to look elsewhere. If he wants to stay, then he will need to be happy being a spark off the bench. I hope he stays. There were several games where he would come off the bench and hit a 3-pointer or two, when nobody else could. I thought he was an underrated passer. Sure his ballhandling and defense could use improvement, but there is time. His biggest problem is that he is a 2 in a point guard body.

Trading one JJ for another would make sense. With several good scoring options now on the roster - Willie, Cody, Loe, McCall, Mitchell - maybe it makes sense to have one pure point guard whose primary role is to set up his teammates and make everybody better. I doubt he can shoot it like Jordan, but Jett probably can play better defense and certainly handle the rock better. Plus, Jordair Jett is just a really neat name.

what exactly should he say?

Majerus: Look son, I know it's spelled out clearly on the agreement you're signing and you seem to be a bright kid, who I assume understands exactly what 1 year means, but just in case I've misread .... I want you to understand that in no uncertain terms, I am going to continue to recruit players who can make our team better. If I find someone better than you, you're out on your ass.

Player: Thank you for your honesty coach, I was a little unclear exactly what was meant by 1 year. I thought maybe it was secret code for 4 years, but now I understand. And, btw coach since we are being completely honest ... I want you to understand that if you don't play me as much as I like, or if you yell at me too much, or demand I lose weight, or if my uncle Ted thinks you aren't using me properly, or if you get mad if I don't go to all my classes, or if my Dad thinks you should be running more screens for me ... I know there's more coach, but I know you get my drift, you'll be toast to coach.

Majerus: I understand.

Player: Thanks coach, I'm glad we had this little talk and got everything out in the open. I'll have my uncle Ted call you with some plays he's drawn up for me.

Majerus: Watching intently to make sure the player finished signing .... Ok, you lazy peice of crap, tell you're Uncle Ted and your Dad to kiss my fat a$$. If I here one more word from you, I'm going to pop you with a $hit stained towel.

BTW, since Jordair Jett is destined to be the next Andre Miller if he signs with us, just wanted to let everybody know that Miller scored 31 in leading Portland to a win in game 1 of their playoff series. We haven't heard any Miller stories in a while. ;)

Jordair Jett Gives Verbal

While this source is not super credible it says he gave a solid verbal to RM this weekend on his visit.

Jett visited SLU this weekend

Is a rather simple basic fact being missed by everyone postiong in this thread or am I missing something. Why would J Jett be giving a verbal? Why isn't he just signed a LOI? Aren't we still in that timeframe?

I hope the NCAA penalizes players and teams more for transfers. It happens more than just at SLU. Any good program has to throw players around like rag dolls to stay competitive. But looking at the big picture of the situation there is no easy way to fix it.

Looking at the SLU speculation, I would like to see JJ here again. He got a fair amount of playing time and fits in with the team, which is an intangible that should be considered. If he wants to leave on his own, that's fine, but RM shouldn't tell anyone they should leave.

I hope the NCAA penalizes players and teams more for transfers. It happens more than just at SLU. Any good program has to throw players around like rag dolls to stay competitive. But looking at the big picture of the situation there is no easy way to fix it.

Looking at the SLU speculation, I would like to see JJ here again. He got a fair amount of playing time and fits in with the team, which is an intangible that should be considered. If he wants to leave on his own, that's fine, but RM shouldn't tell anyone they should leave.

Thanks Broy Jr.

what exactly should he say...

Yes, I know they are one year deals, but I wonder how many scholarship athletes look at it like that? I really don't know. Maybe i'm clueless and all scholarship athletes understand precisely the deal they are getting and read everything line-by-line. Maybe.

Even if the kid clearly understands it's a one-year deal, does he understand what will be required? Are there objective standards? Does RM tell them that every position on the roster is open at all times, what is required, what each kid must achieve and what will happen at the end of the year (or what may happen)? At least when I was on an academic scholarship, I knew exactly what was expected and required. Maybe the guys do know. Maybe RM does talk to them about these things. I'm just asking the question because I don't know.

Again, for those of you that have a hard time grasping the concept (not directed at you skip), I'm happy as sh*t that RM is here. He is probably one of the top 3-5 things that have happened to this program in the last 30 years. However, with these things being said, one is allowed to ask questions about how things are done and not agree with everything RM does. I know this is a tough concept for many to grasp on here.

They're not getting thrown around like rag dolls. You want to see players move around like that look to the NBA.

In college, it's not uncommon for nonathletes to transfer out in the first couple of years. Maybe the school was too expensive, they want to be closer to home, want to go to a smaller school or a bigger school. Similar situations with athletes. Why is so much emphasis being placed on it when it's common in people who don't play sports?

Yes, I know they are one year deals, but I wonder how many scholarship athletes look at it like that? I really don't know. Maybe i'm clueless and all scholarship athletes understand precisely the deal they are getting and read everything line-by-line. Maybe.

Even if the kid clearly understands it's a one-year deal, does he understand what will be required? Are there objective standards? Does RM tell them that every position on the roster is open at all times, what is required, what each kid must achieve and what will happen at the end of the year (or what may happen)? At least when I was on an academic scholarship, I knew exactly what was expected and required. Maybe the guys do know. Maybe RM does talk to them about these things. I'm just asking the question because I don't know.

Again, for those of you that have a hard time grasping the concept (not directed at you skip), I'm happy as sh*t that RM is here. He is probably one of the top 3-5 things that have happened to this program in the last 30 years. However, with these things being said, one is allowed to ask questions about how things are done and not agree with everything RM does. I know this is a tough concept for many to grasp on here.

It's no different than your job. Lets say you own a company and you have an employee, say a salesman, he has a family and works hard. He does ok, not great, but about what you expected when you hired him. You can only afford one salesman, but now this new guy has applied and he has an incredible record of success in your line of business ... far more success than the guy you have now. Do you hire him and dump hard working Joe?

I'll go first, I dump Joe's ass in a heartbeat. I'm paying for results, effort is nice, but results pay the bills.

No one is taking an education from these kids. They are all still welcome to go to SLU if they have the grades. They can all probably find a place that is academically equal to SLU that will give them a free ride.

A scholarship isn't an entitlement.

There were more than 500 D1 basketball transfers in the past 2 years.

No comment either way, but that's less than 1 per team per year.

Again, I don't necessarily mind the transfers, additional recruits, etc. I think there is a "best practice" to do it though.

It's no different than your job. Lets say you own a company and you have an employee, say a salesman, he has a family and works hard. He does ok, not great, but about what you expected when you hired him. You can only afford one salesman, but now this new guy has applied and he has an incredible record of success in your line of business ... far more success than the guy you have now. Do you hire him and dump hard working Joe?

I'll go first, I dump Joe's ass in a heartbeat. I'm paying for results, effort is nice, but results pay the bills.

No one is taking an education from these kids. They are all still welcome to go to SLU if they have the grades. They can all probably find a place that is academically equal to SLU that will give them a free ride.

A scholarship isn't an entitlement.

Skip, I don't think we disagree much. If players know the rules, expectations, etc., then I don't have much heartburn with it.

Skip, I don't think we disagree much. If players know the rules, expectations, etc., then I don't have much heartburn with it.

How can they not. It's in writing in the agreement they sign. What expectations should be layed out for them? We are going to look to improve our team in every way possible, including continuing to recruit the best players we can? How much should be a given? and how much should be actually spoken?

Should a coach say to every kid, look you're coming here to play for me, but if another school offers me more money, I'm gone?

Should every player be clear and make sure his coach understands he may transfer if things don't go as he likes?

It's in the agreement. Why are or should these kids treated any differently than other young adults in the world.