Jordair Jett to SLU?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen this on a number of websites. Are we finally getting non-scholarship players to play for SLU?

I can't believe all this talk - Majok, Jett, Clyburn. And our scholarships are full.

I really doubt anyone is going to leave so it should be interesting to see what happens.

I'd like to see us stay with what we have right now. Our team is going to be good the way it is.

Guest BillikenReport

Are we finally getting non-scholarship players to play for SLU?

If this is true, then Jett will be on scholarship.

He has turned down scholarship offers from other schools, so I doubt he'd turn down free education for the opportunity to play at SLU and pay $40,000 a year to do so.

According to my sources, Jett has not given a commitment to SLU but its possible that he could in the next few days.

Nate - why do we want a guy like Jett? We have a starting point guard the next two years in Kwamain. We have his backup in McCall and shown that Cassity is a solid third option if we need to move that far down the depth chart. Does this guy really come in so highly regarded that we would sacrifice a current player for a third point guard? If we want to fill a need, my thoughts would be that we need a true center long before we need another point guard.

Nate - why do we want a guy like Jett? We have a starting point guard the next two years in Kwamain. We have his backup in McCall and shown that Cassity is a solid third option if we need to move that far down the depth chart. Does this guy really come in so highly regarded that we would sacrifice a current player for a third point guard? If we want to fill a need, my thoughts would be that we need a true center long before we need another point guard.

After doing some quick research this is also a concern of mine.

Guest BillikenReport

I guess there are two ways to look at this if it happens.

1) SLU is bringing in a back-up or third-point guard.

2) SLU is bringing in a player that the coaches think can make the team better.

I think the coaching staff has done a good job of identifying talent and recruiting kids who make the team better. If he didn't have to do a year at prep school, Jordair Jett likely would have been the guy brought in this past season instead of Justin Jordan.

If Jett has really turned down Baylor and Missouri Valley Conference schools already, that tells me he can play. Considering the SLU coaches have followed him for a while now, I'd guess they are convinced he can help the Billikens.

While I agree that we may not necessarily be in dire need of another point, the guy has a 90 ranking from ESPNU. If we add another stud, that only makes the whole program better.

This could transition KM to a 2--which may be a good thing as well as he shot the ball last year. Plus he is 6'2" and 200 lbs. This might allow him to guard the 2 while KM gets the one on defense. I would bet KM is much quicker. Again, we are not for sure as of yet, and there may be some more surprises that come from within the program in the next couple of weeks.

The only thing for certain right now is that next year is going to be a ton of fun.

Guest BillikenReport

I think that kid was a forward who is now at UAB.

Brian,

That was someone else.

I think torch is right on this. It may have even been the same website that reported Jett's commitment last year.

Notice the site didn't have any confirmation from Jett. It may turn out to be accurate, but I don't think it's over yet.

We are getting way too concerned with isolating individual positions--especially the qualities that make one a "point guard".

There were zero games this past (great) season, that I said to myself in the stands "we have too many good ballhandlers/penetrators who can get to the rim and knock down free throws."

If there's one position that I'd like to always have one too many, or play two of at the same time--it's PG.

Let's add *players*, more so than positions.

We are getting way too concerned with isolating individual positions--especially the qualities that make one a "point guard".

There were zero games this past (great) season, that I said to myself in the stands "we have too many good ballhandlers/penetrators who can get to the rim and knock down free throws."

If there's one position that I'd like to always have one too many, or play two of at the same time--it's PG.

Let's add *players*, more so than positions.

+1. Well said.

And...

We as a Bills fans are virginesque when it comes to having skilled 6'8, 6'10, 6'11 on the frontline.

Having another penetrator just creates high pct shots for the forwards, not to mention Loe/Ellis spacing the floor as shooters too.

Do you foul the kwamains before they get to the rim? Do you help off Willie knowing that if the pass gets delivered it's a dunk?

Do you pull your 6'9 defender to help in the post..but then leave Loe/Ellis open at the arc?

It's nice that SLU will finally be the one forcing the adjustments, and not so much making them.

Is it October yet?

Why would we assume this kid would be the 3rd pg. He's bigger and stronger than our other options. From all accounts McCall is a combo guard. Kwamain is 2 years ahead of him, so maybe he's an apprentice for a couple of years and takes over full time as a jr. We saw KC bring the ball up a lot this year and KM play off the ball. ESPN's account of him made him sound like a true pg with maybe not the most quickness, but great vision.

We need to recruit the best players we can get, if it means a lesser player must move on .... fine.

This idea that we're pushing kids out is ridiculous. How can we be pushing a kid out that was never guaranteed anything more than 1 year? Can we please quit using that terminology. Kid's may not get renewed, but the insinuation that we are breaking a promise to them is wrong. Absolutely, flat out, wrong.

Why would we assume this kid would be the 3rd pg. He's bigger and stronger than our other options. From all accounts McCall is a combo guard. Kwamain is 2 years ahead of him, so maybe he's an apprentice for a couple of years and takes over full time as a jr. We saw KC bring the ball up a lot this year and KM play off the ball. ESPN's account of him made him sound like a true pg with maybe not the most quickness, but great vision.

We need to recruit the best players we can get, if it means a lesser player must move on .... fine.

This idea that we're pushing kids out is ridiculous. How can we be pushing a kid out that was never guaranteed anything more than 1 year? Can we please quit using that terminology. Kid's may not get renewed, but the insinuation that we are breaking a promise to them is wrong. Absolutely, flat out, wrong.

Skip---Do you believe me now when I said earlier JJ was transferring? Last I heard is that he is not 100% sure and Jon Smith is trying his hardest to convince him to stay.

So the idea of recruiting a person to a particular college is no longer to lead to a degree from said institution? Is SLU now primarily an exchange school or community college?

While it's true that I didn't get a degree from my first college (spent three semesters there), the school didn't recruit me to be there only one year and my original intentions weren't to be there only a year and a half. I don't like the one-year-deal thing for college basketball if it's the intent up front. If you don't think the player is good enough to help the program over four years, don't recruit him. But that's just an absurd Bills fan's opinion.

So the idea of recruiting a person to a particular college is no longer to lead to a degree from said institution? Is SLU now primarily an exchange school or community college?

While it's true that I didn't get a degree from my first college (spent three semesters there), the school didn't recruit me to be there only one year and my original intentions weren't to be there only a year and a half. I don't like the one-year-deal thing for college basketball if it's the intent up front. If you don't think the player is good enough to help the program over four years, don't recruit him. But that's just an absurd Bills fan's opinion.

The kid is more than welcome to stay and go to school at SLU, he could probably even continue to play ball. Scholarships are a 1 year deal, there isn't any hidden agenda in them. You and I both know it, do you think somehow the kid doesn't? That we are fooling him? What about kids that choose to leave, or go pro early. If a kid see's a better option he's free to take it. I wish the rule wasn't that he has to sit a year, but it is and he knows that when he signs. He could always choose not to take the scholarship and walk on and then he could leave and play without sitting.

I have a hard time seeing Majerus and the staff going after a guy if they didn't have a plan for him. I really loved this years' team and I don't want to see those starters and top bench players get pushed way down the depth chart, but at the same time, I think we are all ready for another NCAA tournament appearance.

I have a hard time seeing Majerus and the staff going after a guy if they didn't have a plan for him. I really loved this years' team and I don't want to see those starters and top bench players get pushed way down the depth chart, but at the same time, I think we are all ready for another NCAA tournament appearance.

If this indeed occurs, the RM detractors will come out once again and label him SLU's version of Darth Vader. The prep stars video called him one of the nation's top unsigned pg's, so why would pass on him? Recruiting over someone is not a moral decision, it is a business decision. We can't fault RM and staff for getting the program to a winning level with the best players they can bring to SLU. There's nothing to be gained by us discussing who's leaving or who should leave. It's between RM and the young man. I hope it's an amicable split that is win win for both parties. For those who will slam RM, look what Cotto and Thompson did to him. Who's to say someone else currently on the roster isn't having similar thoughts?