Jordair Jett to SLU?

I find it curious that on his own GaySpace® page, Jordair says that he's 5'11", not 6'2". I thought he looked a bit small in the video I saw of him. Maybe he's grown since GaySpace® died. Regardless, I hear he's a hell of a player, and I trust the coaching staff, so why not?

http://www.myspace.com/jordair01

Oh, this site from Feb of last year says that he averaged 21 points, 5.5 assists and 5.3 steals per game as a junior and also had a QUADRUPLE DOUBLE in a game. Damn hard to do in 32 minutes. Also has had interest from Arizona, Baylor, Memphis, etc... I want this guy now. Let KM and MM split time at the 2 and KM take over the point when Jett's out.

http://varsitybball.blogspot.com/2009/02/e...rdair-jett.html

I will get criticized for this, but I don't want another PG. I said this when JJ commited and I say it with JoJett (JJ could become confusing soon). I predict that if Jett comes he will end up transferring, because where are the minutes for him? PG? No SG? Maybe some but not a lot and he doesn't seem like a SG.

I would be happy with Clyburn or either Majok, but I would not be thrilled with a Jett signing. This seems like an odd Majerus type of player.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will get criticized for this, but I don't want another PG. I said this when JJ commited and I say it with JoJett (JJ could become confusing soon). I predict that if Jett comes he will end up transferring, because where are the minutes for him? PG? No SG? Maybe some but not a lot and he doesn't seem like a SG.

I would be happy with Clyburn or either Majok, but I would not be thrilled with a Jett signing. This seems like an odd Majerus type of player.

The problem is we don't have a real PG. The closest thing we actually have to one right now is KC.

The problem is we don't have a real PG. The closest thing we actually have to one right now is KC.

I disagree, KM is a real PG for sure. He had to score a lot more than he would have liked, but you will see that he is a true PG next year. I'm not sure how you define a real PG but tell me what characteristic KM did not show to prove that is what he is.

Also, MM averaged 4 assists per game and seems to be becoming a PG. Just because you score does not eliminate you from the PG spot in my mind.

I disagree, KM is a real PG for sure. He had to score a lot more than he would have liked, but you will see that he is a true PG next year. I'm not sure how you define a real PG but tell me what characteristic KM did not show to prove that is what he is.

Also, MM averaged 4 assists per game and seems to be becoming a PG. Just because you score does not eliminate you from the PG spot in my mind.

When you don't lead your team in assists and only average a half assist more than TO's per game it is hard to be called a true PG. McCall is more of a combo like Mitchell.

When you don't lead your team in assists and only average a half assist more than TO's per game it is hard to be called a true PG. McCall is more of a combo like Mitchell.

Things needed for a good PG?

Leadership? Check

High bball IQ? Check

Good Passer? Check

Floor General? I thought KM did a good job running the offense

Clutch? Check

Defender? Check

He has all the attributes I would want in a PG. Larry Drew had a lot of assists and a great assist to turnover ratio but he was not a good pg. I think KM was in a lot of ways one step ahead of a lot of the players on our team which hurt his assists. Also, we needed a scorer and he did that, which cost him turnovers and hurt his assist totals. Next year, he will not have to do that as much.

As I stated 1 week earlier and had both of my topics/posts disappear, let me say this again: I currently coach high school basketball. RM told a coach from a different team in my league that JJ was going to or thinking about transferring (because he is recruiting someone who has killed my team the past two years). I think RM has an idea.

However, one of my current players and one player who is a sophmore at a nearby college plays pickup sometimes with these guys and talks to them. As of now he is not 100% sure he is transferring.

People need to read this. It is JJ's decision as to whether he will transfer or not. He has not been slashed or cut as some would have you believe. He was given an honest evaluation of how much playing time he would get in the future and is now making the decision for himself. I guess Majerus could have lied to JJ and told him he'd play 20+ minutes per game next year and everyone would be happy...

People need to read this. It is JJ's decision as to whether he will transfer or not. He has not been slashed or cut as some would have you believe. He was given an honest evaluation of how much playing time he would get in the future and is now making the decision for himself. I guess Majerus could have lied to JJ and told him he'd play 20+ minutes per game next year and everyone would be happy...

KShoe,

It would make me happy if you were right but I have two questions for you:

1) Do you think when RM was recruiting JJ he told him that it would be tough to get minutes in the future and that he would most likely be a role player?

2) Do you think that if Will Clyburn called and said "I want to be a billiken" and JJ said "I dont want to transfer" that JJ would still have a scholarship and be a member of the team the next morning?

My guess is that you would answer yes to both of those questions, but I would answer no. Therein lies our difference of opinion.

Another thing on Jett. He just doesn't seem like an RM type of player, especially when it comes to his academic issues. It will certainly be interesting to see how this whole thing shakes out.

KShoe,

1) Do you think when RM was recruiting JJ he told him that it would be tough to get minutes in the future and that he would most likely be a role player?

2) Do you think that if Will Clyburn called and said "I want to be a billiken" and JJ said "I dont want to transfer" that JJ would still have a scholarship and be a member of the team the next morning?

My guess is that you would answer yes to both of those questions, but I would answer no. Therein lies our difference of opinion.

1) I have no idea what was said during recruitment but even if he told him he was a sure fire starter during his recruitment, Majerus or any coach for that matter should give an honest assessment of where they stand after a year of seeing him play on the court and given what other players are in in the program. Should they simply lie to JJ just to keep him around?

2) I have been told by people that I trust a lot more than the "guessers" on this board that it is JJ's decision and he is torn. The Jett's, Clyborn's etc. are back-up plans if he or anyone else decides to leave.

1) I have no idea what was said during recruitment but even if he told him he was a sure fire starter during his recruitment, Majerus or any coach for that matter should give an honest assessment of where they stand after a year of seeing him play on the court and given what other players are in in the program. Should they simply lie to JJ just to keep him around?

2) I have been told by people that I trust a lot more than the "guessers" on this board that it is JJ's decision and he is torn. The Jett's, Clyborn's etc. are back-up plans if he or anyone else decides to leave.

When I asked Smith, he told me he is for sure going to keep JJ here no matter what. In my opinion, I believe that JJ was set on transferring but is having doubts now.

When I asked Smith, he told me he is for sure going to keep JJ here no matter what. In my opinion, I believe that JJ was set on transferring but is having doubts now.

I'm not a fan of people are taking things they hear from players, whether it be in confidence or if they say its okay to post it, and put it on the board. Doesn't seem right to me. In my opinion nothing good can come of it.

I don't like that people are taking things they hear from players, whether it be in confidence or if they say its okay to post it, and put it on the board. Doesn't seem right to me.

+1.

Also, just curious as to why the chatter is centered on JJ?

Maybe there is someone else who might not, for some reason, return. Be it injury, academics, whatever.

(I can't *WAIT* for the new season, that is all I know)

PO, Lusky

Rick has some tricks up his sleeve. Probably going to push Cassity and even Conklin (perhaps eventually Evans) will switch to Academic Scholarships. And goodbye Jordan.

If you think Rick is a magician, you're wrong. All the loopholes are sealed by the NCAA. The only way we can offer a scholarship is through someone giving theirs up - transferring, etc.

I hope the NYPost story on Jett was wrong or maybe there is some crazy loophole that I am unaware of. Someone claimed there's some info on these magic tricks on Nate's website. Although I respect Nate more than any other SLU athletics reporter, I am not willing to pay for that premium forum. I just wish Nate could take TT's job so we could actually get some quality, early information from the postdispatch on a regular basis. I think Nate works for them now, but isn't the main reporter for SLU yet. We all love Nate because he's good at finding rumors and getting info on them early, but he doesn't take them too seriously which is good and shows his professionalism. I feel like by the time TT has it in the post dispatch, it's old news for die-hard bills fans.

Another thing on Jett. He just doesn't seem like an RM type of player, especially when it comes to his academic issues. It will certainly be interesting to see how this whole thing shakes out.

Didn't RM's favorite Player of all time, Andre Miller, have academic issues as in a lot of Pac 10 schools passed on him because of them?

yea, it might be worth reading if this guy didn't just make crap up

KShoe,

You didn't answer my question.

Since you believe that if a player wants to stay he should get to, even if the coach wants him to leave. Does the same work for the coach?

If the coach wants the player to stay, does he have to, even if he really wants to leave?

Does the player have to tell the coach during recruitment of all the scenarios that could come up that may make him want to leave? If not and he does decide to leave, does that make him ethically challenged?

Guest BillikenReport

Someone claimed there's some info on these magic tricks on Nate's website.

There is nothing about "magic tricks" on my website.

It is not possible for players on scholarship to switch to academic scholarships.

The two ways you could free up scholarships would be for for players to leave or players to give up their scholarships -- like if, for example, Kyle Cassity decided he didn't want his free education anymore and wants to pay to go to school at SLU.

Here's a list of transfers from FoxSports.com's Jeff Goodman, though it is far from a complete list (Jeff Reid isn't on it):

http://community.foxsports.com/goodmanonfo...r_transfer_list

If this is true, fortunately Smith must be returning next year. I believe he will eventually be a very good player; maybe next season.

If this is true, fortunately Smith must be returning next year. I believe he will eventually be a very good player; maybe next season.

that's his barber Smith. Problem is his barber doesn't like or know anything about basketball. This guy has been to a lot of schools and is now a coach. JJ may leave, but this guy has no inside info.