Jordair Jett to SLU?

This is the new reality that SLU basketball is facing going forward--Success and Wins change everything about the program. There are new rules and practices that occurr if you win and you desire to continue to do that. Now we haven't really gotten there quite yet, but we are the precipice and things are changing. In my opinion for the better.

I think you're right on -- this is the big issue (of which the Jett situation is but one example). Going to the big time means doing things a bit differently along the way. While I think we can still be honest and upfront with everyone, we might have to be a little more bad-ass.

We do run into a classic "Do the ends justify the means?" situation, and surely we don't want to win at *any* costs. But we may be begin to stretch ourselves a bit in what we deem acceptable / standard operating procedure in the years to come.

As fans, I hope that we continue to support everyone who comes through our program, no matter how long their stay. I always appreciate the posts that follow transfer players, and I think the folks on this board do support anyone who's worn the Blue and White.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As fans, I hope that we continue to support everyone who comes through our program, no matter how long their stay. I always appreciate the posts that follow transfer players, and I think the folks on this board do support anyone who's worn the Blue and White.

just checked out some stats on some familiar names. adam knollmeyer averaged 24 minutes a game for Mo.U S&T. he was also the leading rebounder. i'd say he made a good decision. good school and got to play a lot

josh harrelson at Ky. he played in 22 games of the 38 played and averaged 4 minutes a game in those which he played. he was the 11th man in terms of minutes played. one year of eligibility remaining, but i doubt the situation improves all that much next year. in my opinion, he made a mistake

Not possible.

Well, I used the word "switch" casually. By "switch" I meant coaxed to agree to accept the academic scholarship that they "earn" in order to do it for the "good of the team."

Take a look at this website...

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/academicscholarships.htm

"Most coaches work very closely with the college financial aid office; they have to. The first thing a coach will do is see if the athlete qualifies for some other form of financial aid. The coach will determine what "needs based aid" the player can get and then try to boost this with a partial athletic scholarship.

If you qualify for an academic scholarship then that money does not count against the total athletic scholarship budget the coach has to work with. You can see why this is so attractive to the coach. You need to meet one or more of the following criteria to qualify. (this can vary depending on the institution)...3.5 core GPA. 25 ACT or better. 1200 SAT or better. Rank top 10% in your class."

I was freshman at SLU 6 years ago. Across the hall lived a freshman tennis star. As a freshman he took a course called "The Introduction to Numbers." He had a worksheet that was his homework proudly hanging on his minifridge. The worksheet had teddy bears and turtles on it say "Beariffic Job!" and "You can do it" as he multiplied and divided simple whole numbers. Well I absolutely admit that SLU is probably one of the better school in terms of not offering too many gimme classes for jocks, common you gotta be kidding me. And then students manage to pull very high GPA's putting them into the top echelon of their year in terms of GPA. So no, I dont think Rick "cheats" but there are loopholes and ways to work the system legally to an extent.

The following link is a list of all the Academic Scholarships that SLU offers. Notice, how the majority of the SIGNIFICANT academic scholarships are for "incoming" freshman. But, we all know that SLU athletes have "SWITCHED" from an athletic to a academic scholarship. Hmmmm, so you mean that all of these guys are just great people and fantastic human beings that would take a financial hit for the greater good of the team? After all there is no I in team....HELLL NO!! There are ways and funds available that clearly are for athletes and the coaches, such as Rick know the system and how to legally move around it.

NO, Rick hasn't "kicked" JJ or Smith off the team but he probably sat them down and was real with them. JJ, you are not in our future plans. While you are on scholarship naturally we will respect it, but I don't see you playing significant time in this system. But I know you can work hard and play in a DI system, just not here...athletes want to play. You work hard, you want to get in the game. They can be swayed to transfer if they know they wont play significantly with their current team.

Well, I used the word "switch" casually. By "switch" I meant coaxed to agree to accept the academic scholarship that they "earn" in order to do it for the "good of the team."

Take a look at this website...

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/academicscholarships.htm

"Most coaches work very closely with the college financial aid office; they have to. The first thing a coach will do is see if the athlete qualifies for some other form of financial aid. The coach will determine what "needs based aid" the player can get and then try to boost this with a partial athletic scholarship.

If you qualify for an academic scholarship then that money does not count against the total athletic scholarship budget the coach has to work with. You can see why this is so attractive to the coach. You need to meet one or more of the following criteria to qualify. (this can vary depending on the institution)...3.5 core GPA. 25 ACT or better. 1200 SAT or better. Rank top 10% in your class."

I was freshman at SLU 6 years ago. Across the hall lived a freshman tennis star. As a freshman he took a course called "The Introduction to Numbers." He had a worksheet that was his homework proudly hanging on his minifridge. The worksheet had teddy bears and turtles on it say "Beariffic Job!" and "You can do it" as he multiplied and divided simple whole numbers. Well I absolutely admit that SLU is probably one of the better school in terms of not offering too many gimme classes for jocks, common you gotta be kidding me. And then students manage to pull very high GPA's putting them into the top echelon of their year in terms of GPA. So no, I dont think Rick "cheats" but there are loopholes and ways to work the system legally to an extent.

The following link is a list of all the Academic Scholarships that SLU offers. Notice, how the majority of the SIGNIFICANT academic scholarships are for "incoming" freshman. But, we all know that SLU athletes have "SWITCHED" from an athletic to a academic scholarship. Hmmmm, so you mean that all of these guys are just great people and fantastic human beings that would take a financial hit for the greater good of the team? After all there is no I in team....HELLL NO!! There are ways and funds available that clearly are for athletes and the coaches, such as Rick know the system and how to legally move around it.

NO, Rick hasn't "kicked" JJ or Smith off the team but he probably sat them down and was real with them. JJ, you are not in our future plans. While you are on scholarship naturally we will respect it, but I don't see you playing significant time in this system. But I know you can work hard and play in a DI system, just not here...athletes want to play. You work hard, you want to get in the game. They can be swayed to transfer if they know they wont play significantly with their current team.

first , it was reported here a few weeks ago that the ncaa does not allow the use of partial athletic scholarships for basketball. 13 players will get athletic scholarships period.

second, slu academic scholarships generally do not include room and board or books. also very few students get full tuition scholarships. any player that would get "academic" aid, would have to be on a level as the typical slu academic winner. other than eckerle, i havent read or heard of any slu basketball players that are on the presidential scholarship level.

the point is there is no getting around the rules. if there was the likes of calipari would be putting 10 players a year on academic scholarships. the last thing saint louis uiniversity will do is playing with the rule book. count on that. so get it out of your head we can somehow manipulate other scholarship opportunitites to get additional players on the roster.

that's his barber Smith. Problem is his barber doesn't like or know anything about basketball. This guy has been to a lot of schools and is now a coach. JJ may leave, but this guy has no inside info.

Thank you.

first , it was reported here a few weeks ago that the ncaa does not allow the use of partial athletic scholarships for basketball. 13 players will get athletic scholarships period.

second, slu academic scholarships generally do not include room and board or books. also very few students get full tuition scholarships. any player that would get "academic" aid, would have to be on a level as the typical slu academic winner. other than eckerle, i havent read or heard of any slu basketball players that are on the presidential scholarship level.

the point is there is no getting around the rules. if there was the likes of calipari would be putting 10 players a year on academic scholarships. the last thing saint louis uiniversity will do is playing with the rule book. count on that. so get it out of your head we can somehow manipulate other scholarship opportunities to get additional players on the roster.

I didnt say you could have partial scholarships. It was part of a quote and to not appear to be manipulating the quotation I included the entirety of that section while also siting my source.

Second of all, INTRODUCTION TO NUMBERS!!! That was a BS course offered by SLU not that long ago.

There are LEGAL ways to play with the system. Did I say abuse the system? NO. But playing within the rulebook. BillikenRoy, PLEASE follow me on this... from reading your past posts this may be difficult for you, but I urge you to try your best... SLU's Presidential scholarship, which you mentioned, is offered for INCOMING Freshman (meaning NOT PAUL ECKERLE). Assuming you are right that he has the Presidential Scholarship, which I inferred from your " other than eckerle, i havent read or heard of any slu basketball players that are on the presidential scholarship level" than clearly Saint Louis U has "played with a rule."

I know the NCAA is SUPER strict with scholarships but check it out...(I didn't think I needed to SPELL things out for a guy like BillikenRoy, thought with your 2 billion posts (exaggeration) that you actually read some relevant SLU info. While the NCAA is strict, IF POSSIBLE, and naturally with the consent and willingness of the players, Majerus could be the one to convince them. Rick is quite a convincing individual.

1) it had been reported that evans scored above a 30 on the ACT which would net him a significant academic scholarship. given the fact that it had also been reported that evans' parents were fairly well off, it would be reasonable to hypothesize that it might be affordable for Evans to take an academic scholarship.

2) To reiterate, I was not talking about partial scholarships.

OR...in an alternate scenario...Brian Conklin, academic A-10 first team, could also get an academically merited scholarship, along with KC who RM said on the radio could be slu's next academic all-american (post-Lisch). If these guys would WILLINGLY switch this would give SLU extra athletic scholarships.

BillikenRoy, I am looking forward to your response, but as I ask my fourth grade students...please think before you speak.

1) it had been reported that evans scored above a 30 on the ACT which would net him a significant academic scholarship. given the fact that it had also been reported that evans' parents were fairly well off, it would be reasonable to hypothesize that it might be affordable for Evans to take an academic scholarship.

OR...in an alternate scenario...Brian Conklin, academic A-10 first team, could also get an academically merited scholarship, along with KC who RM said on the radio could be slu's next academic all-american (post-Lisch). If these guys would WILLINGLY switch this would give SLU extra athletic scholarships.

I have inside information from Nequa Valley's principal, Mr. Belding, that Dwayne Evans is an excellent student who should do very well academically at the college level.....but that Zack Morris on the other hand....

I didnt say you could have partial scholarships. It was part of a quote and to not appear to be manipulating the quotation I included the entirety of that section while also siting my source.

Second of all, INTRODUCTION TO NUMBERS!!! That was a BS course offered by SLU not that long ago.

There are LEGAL ways to play with the system. Did I say abuse the system? NO. But playing within the rulebook. BillikenRoy, PLEASE follow me on this... from reading your past posts this may be difficult for you, but I urge you to try your best... SLU's Presidential scholarship, which you mentioned, is offered for INCOMING Freshman (meaning NOT PAUL ECKERLE). Assuming you are right that he has the Presidential Scholarship, which I inferred from your " other than eckerle, i havent read or heard of any slu basketball players that are on the presidential scholarship level" than clearly Saint Louis U has "played with a rule."

I know the NCAA is SUPER strict with scholarships but check it out...(I didn't think I needed to SPELL things out for a guy like BillikenRoy, thought with your 2 billion posts (exaggeration) that you actually read some relevant SLU info. While the NCAA is strict, IF POSSIBLE, and naturally with the consent and willingness of the players, Majerus could be the one to convince them. Rick is quite a convincing individual.

BillikenRoy, I am looking forward to your response, but as I ask my fourth grade students...please think before you speak.

i agree that the presidential scholarship is only for freshmen. my point by referencing such was to show the level of academicss it takes to get full tuition paid. as far as i am aware, the presidential scholarship is slu's only full paid tuition scholarship. and even then that would leave over $10,000 per year in room and board and books plus restrict that player from some of the training and offseason program events.

evans obviously doesnt have a presidential scholarship as those interviews have already concluded, so at best he would be eligible for the standard slu academic awards which typically max out at about 2/3 of tuition. so you are proposing that evans family pay upwards of $20k per year to come to slu, and technically be a walk on. i would bet since young mr evans had other athletic opportunities, that isnt going to happen.

what you seem to be missing is that whatever "academic" scholarship slu might be willing to give to our basketball players, that student athlete has to have the like credentials of the typical slu academic winners and the scholarship offered has to reflect the same benefits that slu typically gives. and as i detailed above, you are really going to be asking the student athletes to step up financially in a substantial way. it isnt going to happen. there really isnt any "legal" ways to play with the system when it comes to this issue imo. but you just keep dreaming up these crazy scenarios.

What don't you get about this.... the basketball team is capped at 13 scholarships. No "switching", no academic scholarships, nothing. Paul Eckerle is not a pres scholar. This is the most ridiculous argument here, now having surpassed the MVC-A10 debate.

No basketball player at SLU is going to be on an academic scholarship. You definitely are not the first person that has thought of it. Cockstrong isn't "convincing" the NCAA of it. There are smart basketball players elsewhere.

What don't you get about this.... the basketball team is capped at 13 scholarships. No "switching", no academic scholarships, nothing. Paul Eckerle is not a pres scholar. This is the most ridiculous argument here, now having surpassed the MVC-A10 debate.

No basketball player at SLU is going to be on an academic scholarship. You definitely are not the first person that has thought of it. Cockstrong isn't "convincing" the NCAA of it. There are smart basketball players elsewhere.

Now let me get this straight.

I think you're right on -- this is the big issue (of which the Jett situation is but one example). Going to the big time means doing things a bit differently along the way. While I think we can still be honest and upfront with everyone, we might have to be a little more bad-ass.

We do run into a classic "Do the ends justify the means?" situation, and surely we don't want to win at *any* costs. But we may be begin to stretch ourselves a bit in what we deem acceptable / standard operating procedure in the years to come.

unless someone else mentioned it; I seem to recall when we were trying to fill our last spot last year we were disappointed not to get Jett.

I think our JJ was very coachable and did not respect him at first but he showed a lot of growth-can't see booting him for a prep schooler that

may quit before he graduates. Especially, if they are both under 6 feet tall

Sorry, but there is a way for a roster player not to have an athletic schollie. John Redden did it when Spoon was here. He had grants and other monies SLU provided. He played 4 years at SLU and never had an athletic schollie. I am not saying this is how Jett get here just trying to point out that your statement is not totally accurate.

that was over ten years ago. i think rules have been altered. and even if they havent, there is a reason it hasnt been done again since. i would assume it would have to be the perfect situtation to be allowed.

An all-city player from here in Baltimore --- forget the name but 6'9" --- got a full ride to Pitt in October. Scholarship fro academics. On Wednesday, a story here ran that after playing with hi sAAU team in a tournament in Pittsbvurgh this past weekend, he met with Jamie Dixson and staff and was invited to try out for their team as a walk-on. He accepted and said he is excited because they promised him time to develop as a four.

Now, I'm not disputing anything anyone has said here, but I am sure there are ways to do this and I am sur ethe NCAA is on to those ways and this kid will get investigated the same way Michael Oher did a Ole Miss as portrayed in "The Blind Side." In this kid's case, I am certain because his academics were locked up early, the walk-on status will clear.

Teams cannot stockpile talent by offering academic schollies and athletic schollies in some twisted combination. I am certain the UNCs and Dukes and Kentucky's all know how and have tried things we can't even comprehend. But it does not work this way --- anymore.

An all-city player from here in Baltimore --- forget the name but 6'9" --- got a full ride to Pitt in October. Scholarship fro academics. On Wednesday, a story here ran that after playing with hi sAAU team in a tournament in Pittsbvurgh this past weekend, he met with Jamie Dixson and staff and was invited to try out for their team as a walk-on. He accepted and said he is excited because they promised him time to develop as a four.

Now, I'm not disputing anything anyone has said here, but I am sure there are ways to do this and I am sur ethe NCAA is on to those ways and this kid will get investigated the same way Michael Oher did a Ole Miss as portrayed in "The Blind Side." In this kid's case, I am certain because his academics were locked up early, the walk-on status will clear.

Teams cannot stockpile talent by offering academic schollies and athletic schollies in some twisted combination. I am certain the UNCs and Dukes and Kentucky's all know how and have tried things we can't even comprehend. But it does not work this way --- anymore.

My point simply was that it can be done and has been done - until somebody shows me proof other than what they think might have changed then I will assume it can still be done under the right circumstances. Not saying it is easy or even practical just possible.

My point simply was that it can be done and has been done - until somebody shows me proof other than what they think might have changed then I will assume it can still be done under the right circumstances. Not saying it is easy or even practical just possible.

Cheese. I don't have proof and cannot say for sure either way. At the same time, believe its been widely posted on this Board (regarding Paul Eckerle) that non-athletic scholarship kids have various restrictions: cafeteria/dining restrictions (if the school has an early or late meal team not offered to student body due to practice/game/travel schedule), weight room/trainer room restrictions not offered to general student body, travel and hotel accomodations, academic tutors .... If it can be done, walk-on/academic scholarship guys are treated second class.

Cheese. I don't have proof and cannot say for sure either way. At the same time, believe its been widely posted on this Board (regarding Paul Eckerle) that non-athletic scholarship kids have various restrictions: cafeteria/dining restrictions (if the school has an early or late meal team not offered to student body due to practice/game/travel schedule), weight room/trainer room restrictions not offered to general student body, travel and hotel accomodations, academic tutors .... If it can be done, walk-on/academic scholarship guys are treated second class.

I understand all that but none of those things make it impossible for a kid to do this. Once again, not saying it is desirable but only possible.

So has Jett verballed or not? Do we have a scholarship open or opening for him? Will he sign a LOI in the next few weeks? What are the actual facts of this situation? I can't find anything that follows up from a few weeks back when he "supposedly" verballed.

I am very happy with the roster we have right now. I think Jordan can be a good player off the bench for SLU for the next few years. He can really shot the ball.

I just find it very odd that Jett is still out there and hasn't signed with any team yet. I know that players tend to take more time signing in the spring because the signing period goes for about a month. But why is such such a highly regarded recruit still out there unsigned ?

You would think the kid would want to get it settled about which school he is going to. Makes you think that maybe something indeed might happen to bring him to SLU.

I am very happy with the roster we have right now. I think Jordan can be a good player off the bench for SLU for the next few years. He can really shot the ball.

I just find it very odd that Jett is still out there and hasn't signed with any team yet. I know that players tend to take more time signing in the spring because the signing period goes for about a month. But why is such such a highly regarded recruit still out there unsigned ?

You would think the kid would want to get it settled about which school he is going to. Makes you think that maybe something indeed might happen to bring him to SLU.

I agree with your first three sentences. I would not be surprised if he eventually becomes a starter before he graduates. His defense is no worse than Ellis' and he can shoot as well as anyone on the team. If he gets better defensively he will be very valuable. However, Jett MAY be a better player but, will he blend with the rest of the team the way Jordan does?