Jordair Jett to SLU?

No comment either way, but that's less than 1 per team per year.

Again, I don't necessarily mind the transfers, additional recruits, etc. I think there is a "best practice" to do it though.

While I agree that overall it is less than one per team, how many of the 330+ D1 programs are even close to competitive on a national scale? 100-150 maybe. I think 150 is a really big number but let's use it. So that leaves almost 200 programs that have a program just to have a program or to compete in their conference only.

The real question we need to be asking here is how many transfers have taken place in the top 50 teams in the last 2 years? I would bet a whole lot more than the average of less than one per team.

This is the new reality that SLU basketball is facing going forward--Success and Wins change everything about the program. There are new rules and practices that occurr if you win and you desire to continue to do that. Now we haven't really gotten there quite yet, but we are the precipice and things are changing. In my opinion for the better.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How can they not. It's in writing in the agreement they sign. What expectations should be layed out for them? We are going to look to improve our team in every way possible, including continuing to recruit the best players we can? How much should be a given? and how much should be actually spoken?

Should a coach say to every kid, look you're coming here to play for me, but if another school offers me more money, I'm gone?

Should every player be clear and make sure his coach understands he may transfer if things don't go as he likes?

It's in the agreement. Why are or should these kids treated any differently than other young adults in the world.

Skip, I know you're not this naive.

1. I doubt the commitment they sign lays out performance expectations (and obviously not RM's expectations).

2. You and I both know the kids (nor their parents) read the documents. Even if they did, I doubt it helps them understand what life at SLU will be like.

I think a coach should sit a kid down and say "Here's what I expect and here's what you should expect..." I think that is good leadership.

To think these kids aren't treated differently is naive as well. I don't think you really believe that. Further, what other $40,000 agreements are kids these age entering? And of those $40,000 agreements, which ones do not have the standards, expectations, clearly spelled out by the administrator of those agreements?

47% from the field--including 47% from behind the arc--sounds pretty sweet to me.

It is going to be a fun season.

Maybe MM will be the great outside shooter we all want here at SLU. Only time will tell. High school stats are one thing. D1 college stats (especially during the conference season) is another.

sorry, I thought there were 300+ D-1 bball teams. Based on my assumption...500 transfers over 2 years = 250 transfers/year. 250 transfers/300 teams = less than one per team per year.

Ah... I missed the over 2 years part. My bad.

can anyone explain how a transfer computes in the ncaa graduation requirement computations?

My understanding is they have to be in good academic standing and eventually graduate. I believe the APR is a 6 year average to factor in for redshirts. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Skip, I know you're not this naive.

1. I doubt the commitment they sign lays out performance expectations (and obviously not RM's expectations).

2. You and I both know the kids (nor their parents) read the documents. Even if they did, I doubt it helps them understand what life at SLU will be like.

I think a coach should sit a kid down and say "Here's what I expect and here's what you should expect..." I think that is good leadership.

To think these kids aren't treated differently is naive as well. I don't think you really believe that. Further, what other $40,000 agreements are kids these age entering? And of those $40,000 agreements, which ones do not have the standards, expectations, clearly spelled out by the administrator of those agreements?

Do you not think those things come up when they are being recruited? It's up to the kid and the parent to make sure they are happy with the agreement they are signing. I can't imagine RM's expectations don't come up during the recruitment of the kid.

I know they are treated differently, they shouldn't be.

Some 18 year old kids sign documents much more serious than one that says you play some bal we'll give you 40k.

It's 1 year. You know it's 1 year, I know it's 1 year, All of them know it's 1 year. It's not like there is some fine print the school is sneaking past them.

Do you not think those things come up when they are being recruited? It's up to the kid and the parent to make sure they are happy with the agreement they are signing. I can't imagine RM's expectations don't come up during the recruitment of the kid.

That's fine. All I was wondering if everyone was on the same page about expectations.

Some 18 year old kids sign documents much more serious than one that says you play some bal we'll give you 40k.

You're absolutely right. Outside of the military, I'm guessing it's more of the exception than the rule.

It's 1 year. You know it's 1 year, I know it's 1 year, All of them know it's 1 year. It's not like there is some fine print the school is sneaking past them.

Do they? That's the question I originally asked. You're assuming that to be the case (and you could very well be correct). I wonder if some of them believe that they will be here on scholarship for as long as they work hard, do what the coach asks and get the grades. Again, i don't know the answer to that question.

can anyone explain how a transfer computes in the ncaa graduation requirement computations?

Here is a link.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WC...14-05+ncaa+news

I believe SA 3 would represent any student athlete that is eligible but transfers. So lets take a look at this year's team and lets assume one more player decides to transfer at the end of this semester:

KM: 4/4 (SA 1)

WR: 4/4 (SA 1)

BC: 4/4 (SA 1)

JS: 4/4 (SA 1)

CS: 4/4 (SA 1)

KC: 4/4 (SA 1)

FJ: 4/4 (SA 1)

PE: 4/4 (SA 1)

CR: 4/4 (SA 1)

CE: 2/2 (SA 8)

JJ: 3/4 (SA 3) Lets just say he is the one that transfers

JR: 0/2 (SA 5) This is the worst case scenario assuming the NCAA doesn't give JR some sort of medical hardship. If they do this likely becomes a 0/0.

Even in the worst case scenario, SLU gets 41 of 44 points, for a 932 average. The minimum is 925 measured over 4 years. On the last report, SLU measured a 947 so we are going to be fine, even if we get screwed on Jeff Reid's injury.

http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/apr2008/609_2008_apr.pdf

Do they? That's the question I originally asked. You're assuming that to be the case (and you could very well be correct). I wonder if some of them believe that they will be here on scholarship for as long as they work hard, do what the coach asks and get the grades. Again, i don't know the answer to that question.

Why would someone believe that when the agreement you are actually signing says different.

Imo RM has a reputation for being honest, sometimes even brutally so. I doubt he's intentionally trying to slip that it's a 1 year agreement past these kids and their parents.

Also, remember, these are kids that are enrolling to go to college. Are we really dumbed down this much. I know the standards are lower, but are they really this dumb? They are adults, how about if we just let them be accountable for the agreement they are signing. If they aren't clear, boo on them. Tough lesson to learn, you just got 40K of schooling free and now have to get 40k free at a school that's not as good at basketball. Oh, the tragedy.

Here is my stance on the whole issue. Some of you might disagree, but this is the way I feel about it:

RM is a good coach and a good recruiter who is doing a good job of getting quality young men and basketball players to come to SLU. We have a good team as it stands and I am all for improving on that team by adding to our current talent level.

But, I draw the line (and again, this is my own view on how things should be handled) when it comes to cutting players who are currently on scholarship in order to make room for another player. Skip points out that scholarships are a one year deal, which is certainly true. He further asserts that these players knew the deal coming in, but that is where I disagree.

A player is recruited by a coach to come to a school. The school is in a sense courting that player. During the recruiting process, do all they can to get that kid to come so that they can improve their team. A lot of coaches pull a lot of scumbag moves to get players and it is a crazy process. But, in the heat of recruiting battles, you can bet that almost no coach is going to say “Yeah, we want you to pick us over all the other schools that are recruiting you, but if somebody better comes along next year you’re gone.” And If they do, there is no way in hell they are going to be successful as a recruiter.

And, some may disagree, but I find it hard to believe that all the kids at SLU who have transferred over the last couple of years (so far in RM’s 3 seasons it has been 8, with more likely to come this year) chose to leave. And yeah you can say, ‘well, RM offered them a chance to stay at school and get their education’ but that is BS in my opinion. You recruited these kids to play basketball, and that Is what a lot of their life revolved around, so it is stupid to say you gave them a fair shake by offering them a chance to remain at the university.

Obviously, these are competitive kids who want to play. And as minutes get tight, some are going to transfer. But I think that should be the player’s decision whether he wants to fight for those minutes or leave.

Let’s be honest, it is highly doubtful that JJ is going to be a Billiken next year. Multiple sources have said he is leaving after his post-season discussion with RM. JJ seemed to get along great with the guys, played good minutes and was a good freshman. But now he wants to leave? I find that hard to believe. Add to the fact that he apparently at one point told the coaching staff he wanted to stay and it becomes even sketchier.

I have heard that JJ feels he has been forced out (Disclaimer: Not first hand info) and if I were him I would feel the same way.

Let’s rewind to this time last year when he committed. RM needed a back-up PG for the 2009-2010 season and we had an extra scholarship. So, RM goes out and recruits JJ to fill a hole on the team. JJ chooses SLU over other good schools. At the time, I remember not being thrilled and I think I actually said I bet he will transfer. I know KShoe also felt that the JJ signing didn’t make sense, but he filled a hole on the team for the upcoming season/

Now, we don’t need JJ. We’ve got MM coming in to back up KM and have plenty of guard depth. So, the coaching staff wants to add a player they think will help and they tell JJ he’s not going to play and it might be in his best interest to transfer. Why wouldn’t JJ feel used. Don’t say because he knew the situation coming in, because if that was the case why would he have even come to SLU. It’s not like he underperformed. But, he isn’t needed so the coaching staff cuts him loose to add another guy.

I understand people see the situation differently, but that is how I view it and I wish there were a better way to go about handling things.

Here's how I see it. I wasn't a good student and hated school. I did however graduate HS in 1979. I now feel like I was ripped off because if I was a HS Sr in todays world, I'd be so damn smart they'd have just handed me a degree from an Ivy league school.

So should RM let a player remain on the team but relegate him to the end of the bench and have him just ride out his time?

How about if same player decides to transfer. Is it fair to SLU that the kid probably didn't spell it out for RM when he was being recruited that if things didn't go the way he wanted he would leave? Does he now owe SLU for 3 years of tuition, room, and board? At least he should owe SLU for any potential losses they may occur because he isn't still there and helping them win games. After all SLU assumed he would be there and contributing all 4 years.

and what should he tell JJ or any player? Should he not be realistic regarding his probable ability to contribute. Does he owe him a certain amount of minutes?

Here's how I see it. I wasn't a good student and hated school. I did however graduate HS in 1979. I now feel like I was ripped off because if I was a HS Sr in todays world, I'd be so damn smart they'd have just handed me a degree from an Ivy league school.

So should RM let a player remain on the team but relegate him to the end of the bench and have him just ride out his time?

How about if same player decides to transfer. Is it fair to SLU that the kid probably didn't spell it out for RM when he was being recruited that if things didn't go the way he wanted he would leave? Does he now owe SLU for 3 years of tuition, room, and board? At least he should owe SLU for any potential losses they may occur because he isn't still there and helping them win games. After all SLU assumed he would be there and contributing all 4 years.

and what should he tell JJ or any player? Should he not be realistic regarding his probable ability to contribute. Does he owe him a certain amount of minutes?

If the player wants to stay and reman on the bench I think you should let him. But, I honestly believe that RM does not want JJ to be back as a billiken next year. Also, a player is penalized for transferring and, in fact, if JJ transfers he will be penalized. A coach is not penalized for kicking a kid off of a team.

If the player wants to stay and reman on the bench I think you should let him. But, I honestly believe that RM does not want JJ to be back as a billiken next year. Also, a player is penalized for transferring and, in fact, if JJ transfers he will be penalized. A coach is not penalized for kicking a kid off of a team.

Why do you feel this way? What evidence do you have to think this way? Just curious.

and if a player wants to leave, but the coach would prefer he stay, should he have to stay?

[quote name='moytoy12' date='Apr 19 2010, 03:10 PM' post='235011'

Why would someone believe that when the agreement you are actually signing says different.

Imo RM has a reputation for being honest, sometimes even brutally so. I doubt he's intentionally trying to slip that it's a 1 year agreement past these kids and their parents.

Also, remember, these are kids that are enrolling to go to college. Are we really dumbed down this much. I know the standards are lower, but are they really this dumb? They are adults, how about if we just let them be accountable for the agreement they are signing. If they aren't clear, boo on them. Tough lesson to learn, you just got 40K of schooling free and now have to get 40k free at a school that's not as good at basketball. Oh, the tragedy.

I think you raise some good points, points that I agree with. I don't think these kids are dumb. At the end of the day, I think the kids are making a 4-year choice and not a one-year choice, regardless of what the paperwork says. There is some validity to this thinking since they cannot freely transfer year-after-year. They are essentially locked down for 2 D-1 years in a row if they sign the paperwork.

That's about all I have. We could probably go round and round and not get very far. I appreciate the discussion though.

I think you raise some good points, points that I agree with. I don't think these kids are dumb. At the end of the day, I think the kids are making a 4-year choice and not a one-year choice, regardless of what the paperwork says. There is some validity to this thinking since they cannot freely transfer year-after-year. They are essentially locked down for 2 D-1 years in a row if they sign the paperwork.

That's about all I have. We could probably go round and round and not get very far. I appreciate the discussion though.

I agree the player should be free after the year also. I wish a player would sue the NCAA, I can't fathom they'd lose. However, they do have the right to refuse the deal. I appreciate the discussion also, like you said earlier, we're really not far apart in our thinking.

Since some think a player should get to stay if he wants to, even if the coach wants him to go.

Should he have to stay if the coach wants him to, even if he wants to leave?

what exactly should he say?

Majerus: Look son, I know it's spelled out clearly on the agreement you're signing and you seem to be a bright kid, who I assume understands exactly what 1 year means, but just in case I've misread .... I want you to understand that in no uncertain terms, I am going to continue to recruit players who can make our team better. If I find someone better than you, you're out on your ass.

Player: Thank you for your honesty coach, I was a little unclear exactly what was meant by 1 year. I thought maybe it was secret code for 4 years, but now I understand. And, btw coach since we are being completely honest ... I want you to understand that if you don't play me as much as I like, or if you yell at me too much, or demand I lose weight, or if my uncle Ted thinks you aren't using me properly, or if you get mad if I don't go to all my classes, or if my Dad thinks you should be running more screens for me ... I know there's more coach, but I know you get my drift, you'll be toast to coach.

Majerus: I understand.

Player: Thanks coach, I'm glad we had this little talk and got everything out in the open. I'll have my uncle Ted call you with some plays he's drawn up for me.

Majerus: Watching intently to make sure the player finished signing .... Ok, you lazy peice of crap, tell you're Uncle Ted and your Dad to kiss my fat a$$. If I here one more word from you, I'm going to pop you with a $hit stained towel.

:lol:

As I stated 1 week earlier and had both of my topics/posts disappear, let me say this again: I currently coach high school basketball. RM told a coach from a different team in my league that JJ was going to or thinking about transferring (because he is recruiting someone who has killed my team the past two years). I think RM has an idea.

However, one of my current players and one player who is a sophmore at a nearby college plays pickup sometimes with these guys and talks to them. As of now he is not 100% sure he is transferring.

I find it curious that on his own GaySpace® page, Jordair says that he's 5'11", not 6'2". I thought he looked a bit small in the video I saw of him. Maybe he's grown since GaySpace® died. Regardless, I hear he's a hell of a player, and I trust the coaching staff, so why not?

http://www.myspace.com/jordair01

Oh, this site from Feb of last year says that he averaged 21 points, 5.5 assists and 5.3 steals per game as a junior and also had a QUADRUPLE DOUBLE in a game. Damn hard to do in 32 minutes. Also has had interest from Arizona, Baylor, Memphis, etc... I want this guy now. Let KM and MM split time at the 2 and KM take over the point when Jett's out.

http://varsitybball.blogspot.com/2009/02/e...rdair-jett.html

I find it curious that on his own GaySpace® page, Jordair says that he's 5'11", not 6'2". I thought he looked a bit small in the video I saw of him. Maybe he's grown since GaySpace® died. Regardless, I hear he's a hell of a player, and I trust the coaching staff, so why not?

http://www.myspace.com/jordair01

Also lists "myself" as a hero. I like this kid.