Willie Reed and free throws

crymdg2

I'm sorry, but am I the only one who thinks when the student section chants Willie's name and is clapping WHILE he is shooting free throws is ridiculous? I realize its an effort to encourage him, but it also has got to be embarassing for him. The guy knows he struggling from the free throw line already. He has good form so most of it is mental I'm guessing. Therefore, I don't see how any of it is doing him any favors. It is a home game after all. Save the noise and distraction for the away team. Thoughts?

I'm sorry, but am I the only one who thinks when the student section chants Willie's name and is clapping WHILE he is shooting free throws is ridiculous? I realize its an effort to encourage him, but it also has got to be embarassing for him. The guy knows he struggling from the free throw line already. He has good form so most of it is mental I'm guessing. Therefore, I don't see how any of it is doing him any favors. It is a home game after all. Save the noise and distraction for the away team. Thoughts?

Agree. Should be a hush, not a bunch of background noise.

I hate to harp on this, but I do not like his form.

Way too much motion, plus he does NOT look at the rim until his shot is in motion. That's a major no-no.

Agree. Should be a hush, not a bunch of background noise.

I hate to harp on this, but I do not like his form.

Way too much motion, plus he does NOT look at the rim until his shot is in motion. That's a major no-no.

Should absolutely not be a "hush". We got quieter than ever at the Xavier game and he went 2 for 9. The only two he made, people were trying to get the crowd to make "normal" noise. Willie feeds off the crowd, even during free throws, at least for now. (Most) people aren't messing with him, he's one of the most loved Billikens in a long time.

FEED THE REED.

you're failing to understand the psyche of willie reed.

watch him play...he gets fired up. he loves when the crowd is into it. did you see his block against rhode island when we were losing badly? he whacked it about 90 feet into the crowd because he was angry and he was trying to get people fired up. he's a PASSIONATE player. he has real FIRE! after the dayton game, he was up on a table dancing in front of blue crew. NO ONE loves the crowd and works the crowd more than willie reed. he's not the type of guy who likes silence.

it is not patronizing or embarrassing at all for the crowd to chant while he shoots a free throw. he loves it! it might not help his form, but it helps his confidence, and that's what he needs, not silence.

I keep waiting for him to flip out one of these time and flip everyone off, but he is too good of a person to do that.

Honestly, it seemed to be working--last night wasn't great though. He was bad all year and had an AWFUL game agaisnt X at the line and it started after that. He has shot relatively well since that point--when the chant started. I think it is a good thing and should be continued. As you pointed out it is more than likely a mental thing (although I would question the quality of his form, but that is another discussion left to more experienced people. ie his coaches) and the chant definitely takes his head out of the situation. He won't be thinking about the act of shooting and every little intricacy that those goes into doing that, but thinking that we are a bunch of jerks for giving him a hard time--which I don't think is the intention. We all love him--which is more than obvious for the tons of cheers he recieves. I am sure he understands the chants. We are chanting "Willie, Willie" not "you bum-you can't shoot."

Again, it may be distraticing, but I feel that is the whole point. Until he goes 2-9 again in a nail biter of an extremely important game, I think the chant is here to stay. I for one am in favor of it. Everyone gets very, very quiet when everyone else on the team is at the line--so we are not being disrespectful or disruptive.

watch him play...he gets fired up. he loves when the crowd is into it. did you see his block against rhode island when we were losing badly? he whacked it about 90 feet into the crowd because he was angry. he's a PASSIONATE player. he has real FIRE! after the dayton game, he was up on a table dancing in front of blue crew. NO ONE loves the crowd and works the crowd more than willie reed. he's not the type of guy who likes silence.

it is not patronizing or embarrassing at all for the crowd to chant while he shoots a free throw. he loves it! it might not help his form, but it helps his confidence, and that's what he needs, not silence.

+1. The point of chanting, like you said, is not patronizing. In the student section, we legitimately believe that it helps Willie. And frankly, why not? If a player goes 2/9 from the line with the crowd silent, why not try the complete opposite strategy?

+1. The point of chanting, like you said, is not patronizing. In the student section, we legitimately believe that it helps Willie. And frankly, why not? If a player goes 2/9 from the line with the crowd silent, why not try the complete opposite strategy?

If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right - Jerry Seinfeld on George Castanza

I think it comes across as bush league and it has not really helped his FT%. He was 2-6 last night and has only shot 50% from the line in the five games after XU.

I thought the same thing last night. Its not like its helping him

I've spoken to willie about this to make sure it wasn't bothering him. He said he didn't mind.

It seems like he really feeds off of the crowd and this confirms that he is not embarrassed by the chanting. Did you have to give him a ride in your purple Chrysler LeBaron convertible?

watch him play...he gets fired up. he loves when the crowd is into it. did you see his block against rhode island when we were losing badly? he whacked it about 90 feet into the crowd because he was angry and he was trying to get people fired up. he's a PASSIONATE player. he has real FIRE! after the dayton game, he was up on a table dancing in front of blue crew. NO ONE loves the crowd and works the crowd more than willie reed. he's not the type of guy who likes silence.

+1

I thought the same thing last night. Its not like its helping him

I think it is.

I cant remember last night but I know during the Green Bay game he was 3/3 in the first half (student section side)

and 2/5 in the second half(non-student side)

It looks to me like he is more comfortable on the student side. Now some of that may be tired legs but to me it looks like its working

I think it is.

I cant remember last night but I know during the Green Bay game he was 3/3 in the first half (student section side)

and 2/5 in the second half(non-student side)

It looks to me like he is more comfortable on the student side. Now some of that may be tired legs but to me it looks like its working

He was 2-6 last night and his misses werent even close.

He was 2-6 last night and his misses werent even close.

Westy, you either have selective memory or haven't seen many games in person this year. His misses were WAY closer than they were in most conference games. It was BRUTAL. His FT shooting in general has improved some. The problem was psychological first, mechanical second. Problem one has gotten much better. He has the offseason for problem two.

Ok...I think it helps him, but for those who say he's still shooting bad, then it make a difference either way, so we might at well encourage him.....

I have him at 12-24 on free throws at home since we started cheering for him at the line after the Xavier game....on the season up to the Xavier game, I believe he was somewhere around 46-47%.......so a slight improvement, but either way, not great so I'm all for encouraging him since he doesn't mind it at all.....

Hopefully he'll really work at it this summer....I'd be happy if he shoots 65% next year

Westy, you either have selective memory or haven't seen many games in person this year. His misses were WAY closer than they were in most conference games. It was BRUTAL. His FT shooting in general has improved some. The problem was psychological first, mechanical second. Problem one has gotten much better. He has the offseason for problem two.

WOOAAHHH Don't call out westy for not attending games. Westy is SAE03 reincarnate.