Green Bay message board / game thoughts

Here is a link to a Green Bay message board (as far as I can tell it is THE GB message board):

http://p2.forumforfree.com/uwgbphoenix.html

Not a lot going on over there. Probably because if you live in GB the Packers are the only team you are allowed to follow or they will throw you out of town. They do offer a few thoughts on the Bills game.

One poster mistakenly says the Bills get most of their points "in the paint with some pretty good beef." I have a feeling if this guy watches they game he will be like that lady in the old Burger King(?) commerical "Where's the beef?"

At the end of their game thread for the Akron game, some of the posters seem to think they have a chance of beating SLU and say that GB plays well on the road.

IMO, the Bills should win this one. Willie needs to step up and have another big game b/c it looks like GB does not have very much talent or depth inside. Hopefully our guards can play solid D on theirs and basically shut down their offense since they get most of their scoring from 3 guards. Can't let that Cotton kid get going like he did against Akron.

Here is a link to GB's roster and stats page for those interested in doing some advanced scouting:

http://www.greenbayphoenix.com/SportSelect...mp;SPSID=109995

http://www.greenbayphoenix.com/SportSelect...mp;SPSID=110000

They have a lot of kids from Wisconsin. Hopefully this motivates Kwamain to show all these guys what is up and dominate them.

Why no chatter about tonight's game?

Just getting ready to ask this same thing. Any news on ticket sales, any buzz on campus?

I had a guy come up to me at the gym yesterday to ask if I was going tonight (I was wearing a Billiken shirt) - he claimed to know someone in the AD's office and said that they would be really pleased if they can draw 5k. I hope it's more than that, but I think 5k is probably realistic.

That Cotton kid for GB sounds like quite the player.

I had a guy come up to me at the gym yesterday to ask if I was going tonight (I was wearing a Billiken shirt) - he claimed to know someone in the AD's office and said that they would be really pleased if they can draw 5k. I hope it's more than that, but I think 5k is probably realistic.

That Cotton kid for GB sounds like quite the player.

-i hope it is more than 5k, but when i picked up my tickets the staffer in the office seemed disappointed with the sales

Unfortunately, there is very little interest. Wisc-Green Bay? Then play winner of Morehead St / Boston U?

Good that our young players are getting more work, can jell even more for next yr, CE especially after missing 1st semester.

I think if we make it to the championship series, then 8,000 will show.

It would be nice to get a big crowd, but for as small as last week's crowd was, they were into the game and fairly loud. It was a crowd that followed the Bills and wanted to be there. Nobody told me to sit down and some people around us joined in our chants. Plus, it's nice being able to check out different sections of the arena than my usual season tickets.

Now if only we could get everybody to move down to the first 20-25 rows around the court and fill them up, I think we could really bring the noise.

Can anybody give us a scouting report on Wisconsin Green Bay?

Why The Phoenix Can Surprise:

Led by a veteran group of guards, Green Bay has turned into a dangerous shooting team. And, as is often the case, this is a team that can win games as long as the outside shot is falling. Troy Cotton is the most prolific shooter of the bunch and knocks down nearly three long balls per contest. He will not attack the basket or even set up his teammates too often, but he is certainly a great shooter. Rahmon Fletcher is more than just a shooter. He is the team’s most dynamic scorer and leads the way with 16.1 points per game. Fletcher has also emerged as a leader and is one of the best defenders in the Horizon League.

Bryquis Perine is a capable shooter as well, but he has been very streaky this season. When his shot is falling, Perine can put up big numbers. Yet, he can just as easily fail to do much of anything and Green Bay needs him to be productive. At 6-3 Perine has the size to attack the basket when his shot is not falling and he does do that quite a bit, but there are still some games when he seems to just disappear. Seth Evans is the shooter off the bench. The freshman does not do much but shoot three-pointers, but he can provide a quick spark.

Why The Phoenix Can Disappoint:

Over the last five years Randy Berry has continued to improve and has become a great forward. At 6-9 and 225 pounds he has the size to battle in the paint and he is not afraid to mix it up with anybody. He is not the best interior scorer in the Horizon League, but he is certainly capable and at least forces the opposition to keep a close eye on him. Berry’s best asset is his rebounding and that is where the Phoenix need to find some help. Matt Smith is in the starting lineup due to lack of other options. The freshman does not play many minutes, but he is a decent scorer who can stretch out the defense with his mid-range jumper. The more experienced big man is Pat Nelson. Almost all of his scoring comes off of offensive rebounds, but he is a stronger rebounder than Smith.

Find college hats and NCAA Fatheads online through College Sports Fans and buy college Snuggies!

Who To Watch for Green Bay:

Evans can provide a spark off the bench, but if his shot is not falling then it is up to Rian Pearson and Cordero Barkley. Pearson is just a freshman, but he had some moments of brilliance that have Phoenix fans excited for the future. Barkley is an experienced senior whose versatility gives Coach Tod Kowalczyk many options. Barkley is not much of a shooter or scorer, but he is a glue guy who will do whatever his team needs.

Green Bay By the Numbers:

Scoring Offense: 68.6 (185th in nation, 6th in conference)

Scoring Defense: 66.9 (148, 4)

Field-Goal Percentage: 44.0 (147, 6)

Field-Goal Defense: 44.3 (231, 7)

Three-Point Field Goals Per Game: 6.6 (116, 6)

Three-Point Field-Goal Percentage: 37.9 (36, 1)

Free-Throw Percentage: 73.2 (40, 4)

Rebound Margin: -1.1 (227, 7)

Assists Per Game: 11.7 (259, 11)

Unfortunately, there is very little interest. Wisc-Green Bay? Then play winner of Morehead St / Boston U?

Good that our young players are getting more work, can jell even more for next yr, CE especially after missing 1st semester.

I think if we make it to the championship series, then 8,000 will show.

Let's face it, these are basically practice games against opponents with little name recognition in an unheard of tournament.

That said, I'll be there.

Why The Phoenix Can Surprise:

Led by a veteran group of guards, Green Bay has turned into a dangerous shooting team. And, as is often the case, this is a team that can win games as long as the outside shot is falling. Troy Cotton is the most prolific shooter of the bunch and knocks down nearly three long balls per contest. He will not attack the basket or even set up his teammates too often, but he is certainly a great shooter. Rahmon Fletcher is more than just a shooter. He is the team’s most dynamic scorer and leads the way with 16.1 points per game. Fletcher has also emerged as a leader and is one of the best defenders in the Horizon League.

Bryquis Perine is a capable shooter as well, but he has been very streaky this season. When his shot is falling, Perine can put up big numbers. Yet, he can just as easily fail to do much of anything and Green Bay needs him to be productive. At 6-3 Perine has the size to attack the basket when his shot is not falling and he does do that quite a bit, but there are still some games when he seems to just disappear. Seth Evans is the shooter off the bench. The freshman does not do much but shoot three-pointers, but he can provide a quick spark.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a team who lives and dies by the 3. The Bills led the nation in 3 point defense. One would think this plays into our strength but you never know.

When Skip Prosser coached at Wake, he was disappointed that the second level or marginal Wake fan wouldn't attend a home game unless it was a nationally known or big conference opponent. He made the point numerous times that attending a home game shouldn't be based on who Wake Forest is playing, just that Wake Forest is playing. Hope Bills fans will eventually take this to heart.

BTW, I hope to listen to Rammer and Earl online. The link I found(not the one at 101ESPN) worked last game and usually does maybe 4 out of 5 times. If you need the link, post in the game thread, and if it's working, I'll post it.

I think the winner plays the winner of VCU/Charleston which is on the left side of the bracket. If we get past UWGB and if VCU gets past Charleston it would set up a great semifinal. VCU had an RPI of 66 this year...talk about an NIT snub.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Kevin Shortal

-i hope it is more than 5k, but when i picked up my tickets the staffer in the office seemed disappointed with the sales

i bought 7 extra tickets when i talked to the staff on wednesday last week. they said then they would try to put all the tickets as close together as possible. when i picked up on friday, i saw that all the tickets except my 2 gold seats are together next to my red seats. i.e. all of the 5 seats next to mine that are season ticket holders did not buy their seats for this game tonite.

Let's face it, these are basically practice games against opponents with little name recognition in an unheard of tournament.

That said, I'll be there.

Guys I know it's easy to overlook this game and look down on GB... but they have had a HUGE win this year AT Wisconsin. Easily one of the hardest places in the country to play at. I believe Bo Ryan has only lost 10 games in 10 years while coaching at Wisc. in the Kohls Center in Madison. The Fetz is not the same as the Kohls Center. this team can play on the road in big games. I'm not overlooking them one bit in fact I was a little bit nervous when I saw they were on our side of the bracket. But all in all we are the better team. Cautiously optimistic for tonight.

My bad. They still beat a tough Badger team that plays similar style to Majerus with great gaurd play and some big men that can shoot the three.

Agreed, wouldn't say they are just a pushover.

I think the winner plays the winner of VCU/Charleston which is on the left side of the bracket. If we get past UWGB and if VCU gets past Charleston it would set up a great semifinal. VCU had an RPI of 66 this year...talk about an NIT snub.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Kevin Shortal

Sorry, I want CofC to win. Got a lot of people here in the Holy City saying they'll kill us. I'd love to see the Bills shut them up. Plus, Cremmins is CofC coach. Would be interesting to see him and RM go at one another.