Cody Ellis - Another Australian to Visit

SluSignGuy

BOULDER — One of Australia's top young basketball prospects toured the Colorado campus with his family Thursday and said he is strongly considering CU.

Cody Ellis, a 6-foot-8 forward and the star of Australia's under-19 national team, is a senior at the Australian Institute of Sport in Sydney and expects to sign a national letter of intent during the spring signing period in April.

Ellis previously visited Wake Forest and is scheduled to complete his trip with a visit to Saint Louis University. Ellis said he can handle the ball and shoot well from outside and is comfortable playing inside or outside.

"Education, as well as basketball, is important to me, so I'm visiting good schools," Ellis said Thursday. "I like Colorado a lot. I watched practice, and it was pretty intense. I could definitely fit in."

With the NBA having become wildly popular in Australia, Ellis said he first became familiar with CU coach Jeff Bzdelik several years ago while watching telecasts of Nuggets games. Ellis said Carmelo Anthony is one of his favorite players.

Saint Louis is coached by Rick Majerus, who coached the most famous Australian basketball player, Andrew Bogut, while they were at the University of Utah.

At AIS, Ellis is a teammate of Shane Harris-Tunks, a 6-11 center who signed with Colorado in November. Ellis, from Perth in western Australia, played youth basketball against CU freshman point guard Nate Tomlinson, who is from Sydney on the east coast.

Ellis said he has no timetable for picking a college.

"We're going to go back to Australia and sit down as a family and go over the pros and cons of all the colleges," Ellis said. "I'm going to make the decision at home."

NCAA rules prohibit college coaches from talking about recruits until they have signed letters of intent.

-come on coach harriman, seal the deal as sounds like this bloke is a player

-i am not complaining one bit about the current roster, not at all, but let's establish an aussie connection for the saintsaitions as well!!!

-replace guy phillips with someone with an aussie accent to make 'em feel at home

-sell vegemite and fosters in the concession stands

-come on coach harriman, seal the deal as sounds like this bloke is a player

-i am not complaining one bit about the current roster, not at all, but let's establish an aussie connection for the saintsaitions as well!!!

-replace guy phillips with someone with an aussie accent to make 'em feel at home

-sell vegemite and fosters in the concession stands

Australians do not drink Foster's.

Australians do not drink Foster's.

It's true. When I went to Sydney in 2000 (not for the Olympics), I found out that most Aussies hate Foster's and think it's funny that we associate them with it...due to the old commercials. I guess it's their version of Miller! :lol: Supposedly they prefer a beer called Victoria Bitter (http://www.victoriabitter.net/).

During the faculty meeting in October, Coach RM implied that 2 Aussies would sign, and though they were not named, it became evident later (through back channels) that Cody Ellis was the 2nd one. It sure sounded at the time that the signing was a done deal, so it makes me wonder why Ellis decided to wait till spring. If you read up on him, he is the real deal and supposedly the best young player in the country. I am pretty sure he would play and contribute immediately, possibly even more than our very impressive freshmen bigs right now. How does another, even bigger, rangier, and better outside shooting Brian Conklin strike everyone??

Imagine those two banging against each other for 3 years. One way to improve a program is to have such everyday match-ups of talented guys in practice, with everyone vying for minutes . . . . . .Sure works for UNC.

I would not be at all surprised to see Ellis sign with SLU, based on all that I have heard. That said, being at SLU for 11 years now, I would not be at all surprised to see him sign at Colorado or Wake either.

During the faculty meeting in October, Coach RM implied that 2 Aussies would sign, and though they were not named, it became evident later (through back channels) that Cody Ellis was the 2nd one. It sure sounded at the time that the signing was a done deal, so it makes me wonder why Ellis decided to wait till spring. If you read up on him, he is the real deal and supposedly the best young player in the country. I am pretty sure he would play and contribute immediately, possibly even more than our very impressive freshmen bigs right now. How does another, even bigger, rangier, and better outside shooting Brian Conklin strike everyone??

Imagine those two banging against each other for 3 years. One way to improve a program is to have such everyday match-ups of talented guys in practice, with everyone vying for minutes . . . . . .Sure works for UNC.

I would not be at all surprised to see Ellis sign with SLU, based on all that I have heard. That said, being at SLU for 11 years now, I would not be at all surprised to see him sign at Colorado or Wake either.

I would be surprised if he signs with Wake. Usually when you are the first school to be visited, you become the standard that the other schools will be measured against. All the other ones have to do is be better and you are toast. I like going last since he was also visiting CO. Not sure to make of his comments but I guess he was talking to the CO press so he was probably making nice. I hope it works out for SLU.

Ellis being Salicich's "best mate" can't hurt us in this recruiting battle. I really hope that he comes to SLU!!

This sounds very exciting. Wish he would commit like the other bloke at least verbal before he heads to the outback. From something posted on here about a year ago, I hope he doesn't check w/ Bogut as supposedly RM and he didn't see eye to eye on a lot of things.

Guest BillikenReport

Is that a recruiting violation?

You should check the NCAA site before making a sign or before the student section starts chanting the kid's name.

Or at least check with one of the assistant coaches or the compliance director.

This sounds very exciting. Wish he would commit like the other bloke at least verbal before he heads to the outback. From something posted on here about a year ago, I hope he doesn't check w/ Bogut as supposedly RM and he didn't see eye to eye on a lot of things.

If memory serves, Bogut only played for Rick for 1 year and was quoted as saying he disliked Majerus so much that he was set on transferring from Utah had not Rick left the team. Doubt Bogut shall be much of a reference for Majerus to the Australian recruits.

It's true. When I went to Sydney in 2000 (not for the Olympics), I found out that most Aussies hate Foster's and think it's funny that we associate them with it...due to the old commercials. I guess it's their version of Miller! :lol: Supposedly they prefer a beer called Victoria Bitter (http://www.victoriabitter.net/).

Couple of things:

1. The AIS is in Canberra, not Sydney. The NSWIS is in Sydney.

2. Foster's isn't on tap or drunk much simply because it is popular abroad. It's not a fair dinkum Aussie beer. That said, rumour has it that it's actually the same thing as VB - I doubt it's true.

3. As foreshadowed above, Victoria Bitter is simply called VB. It is a working class beer. The slogan for as long as I can remember: 'a hard earned thirst needs a big cold beer'.

4. The posh set in Sydney drinks Crown Lager (or some foreign brew), if they drink beer at all.

They don't even brew Foster's in Australia. If they do, it has to be remedied because the normal alcohol content is illegal in Australia.

I believe it brewed in Australia along with Russia and the USA. Wikepedia has more info. It's almost the same with St. Pauli Girls GE beer. The main beers are very regional.

This seems rather strange. The kid was at Colorado last Thursday, then Majerus says Coach Harriman will meet a recruit in Vegas, but now there are reports that he is also coming to SLU after Christmas? How long is this kid in the States and how long will he be hanging out with the Bills? He is going to be in Vegas when the team is there and then come back to campus? That's a heck of a long recruiting trip. Unless Coach Harriman is meeting with a different recruit in Vegas. I just figured it was the Australian prospect.

This seems rather strange. The kid was at Colorado last Thursday, then Majerus says Coach Harriman will meet a recruit in Vegas, but now there are reports that he is also coming to SLU after Christmas? How long is this kid in the States and how long will he be hanging out with the Bills? He is going to be in Vegas when the team is there and then come back to campus? That's a heck of a long recruiting trip. Unless Coach Harriman is meeting with a different recruit in Vegas. I just figured it was the Australian prospect.

Two more things:

1. Foster's is brewed in Australia, and it is licensed to be brewed elsewhere for the 'export' market to save costs and avoid import duties. Just as Guinness and other 'imports' are brewed under licence in Australia (and, of course, the US). This is very common, in fact the San Miguel (Philippines) I was drinking last night was brewed in China. Budweiser in these parts is likewise brewed in China.

2. Remember the Aussie summer holiday break is now - from Dec-Feb, so it's not like Ellis or any other Aussie recruits are missing school time.