FWIW per Catspause.com Harelson close to committing

davidlee

my impatience in november december had everything to do with misusing players, nothing to do with coaching up. if rickma did any coaching up this past season, please example it for us. most of what we saw was pretty puzzling utilization of players imo. probably the closest thing was bryce who did seem to maximize his potential. and it was refreshing to finally see him adjust to the players abilities, styles and talents after xmas.

I'm glad that you grudgenling admitted that BH improve under RM, also what about Danny? His last 6 weeks (bad knee and all ), were the best of his career. That said, I'm tired of projects at SLU. You can't win the Kentucky Derby, with a stable of mules, regardless of the coach. Your dislike of RM, and loyalty to BS, is nothing short of amazing.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From Bernie's board:

"bernie, pretty hard to use that argument for slu when rickma just recruited over four slu players and sent them packing not just the end of the bench. kicked them out of school because they werent good enough in his eyes. if i was rickma i would leave that argument alone. in fact if i was gillespie, i would be bringing it up.

Roy Mueller"

Roy, RM did not kick anyone out of school. Are you kidding me?

Its nice to see Roy hijacked the thread on Bernies forum regarding this subject too.

Just what we need, the most tireless billken related poster going around at every opportunity and ripping on our coach for things that happened weeks ago. Its almost like he doesn't want Harrellson to come, so that he can say "told you so" to the one or two posters on this board that said we'd get him last winter.

Never mind that its his heroes fault he's not already the starting PF for SLU.

Roy what the hell are you doing over there? You are twisting the Majerus's players leaving at Utah situation just like Mizzou fans do and you don't even bother to bring up the fact that the number is skewed by players leaving for Mormon missions. Why don't you go over to Tigerboard and post that crap. It is the exact same kind of BS they post there. They will love you over there.

Why don't you just admit you don't want Harrellson here, because of Brad. It seems you hold Harrellson personally responsible for Brad's mistake.

Roy, I agree that players have now been recruited over at SLU, but so what. That's a good thing! I wish we had recruited over players in the past. I wish we had recruited over Dwayne Polk and Bryce Husak as examples. These starting jobs are not entitlements. They have to be earned. Heck, if the coaching staff could recruit over Kevin, Tommie or anybody in order to improve the team, I am all for it. This programs is FINALLY heading in a direction where there will be some real competition for playing time. If we get Harrelson, I hope that he will be forced to really push himself because he knows that guys like Thompson, Reed and Conlin are all capable of taking playing time away. That's how you build a good program.

EVERY Coach attempts to recruit over every player. If RM or UB had a chance to recruit a kid that would cause Kevin to ride the pine his Sr year they would.

Roy let me answer this question form you at Bernie's site:

as to this being bigtime college ball, please name the top 50 school that just cut 4 players in addition to the graduating 4 players? because i dont know of another that did that ........ ever.

I did a quick search and found that it happen at Colorado last year. It is also probably going to happen at UConn this year. I am sure there are more.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=342&f=2...2301117&p=1

not that rickma has ever done that right? just ask the four kids that have no school right now.

just ask Brett Thompson, Willie Reed and the Conklin kid, who are being recruited over in the same class.

It's one thing to recruit over an upperclassman, in some cases it is a must, but in the same class? Come on. More reasons why the Majerus retention rate is so low.... When you have 3-4 guys at the same position in the same class the odds are at least 2 of them will leave.

Oh yeah, Brad did not "run off" Obi, Dixon, well, kind of but not really. Knollmeyer, Relphorde, Mitchell and Maguire....they were run.

just ask Brett Thompson, Willie Reed and the Conklin kid, who are being recruited over in the same class.

It's one thing to recruit over an upperclassman, in some cases it is a must, but in the same class? Come on. More reasons why the Majerus retention rate is so low.... When you have 3-4 guys at the same position in the same class the odds are at least 2 of them will leave.

Oh yeah, Brad did not "run off" Obi, Dixon, well, kind of but not really. Knollmeyer, Relphorde, Mitchell and Maguire....they were run.

Man, I'm glad you chimed in since you have so much credibility.

You are really grasping at straws again. Harrelson will be a sophomore, so they are not in the same academic class, plus Reed is a candidate to redshirt, which would put him two years behind JH. Also, when Conklin signed, there was some indication that he could eventually develop into a 3, so there is plenty of playing time to go around at the 3, 4 and 5. Now go back to the drawing board and see if you can come up with some crap that can stick.

BTW, have you seen the Brinks Trunk yet? :D

This weekend will be the Spring Fever Carnival and Concert at Billiken Arena featuring some "good" music. Majerus would be crazy not to set him up with tickets to that or at least take him over to the carnival to sell the student life part of SLU

I wouldn't be so sure that Spring Fever will be able to sell the "student life" part of SLU. I'm going to remain skeptical about the event until it is a success. Based on the Facebook event invitation there are only 600 or so odd people attending the event whereas there are nearly 1200 not attending. Granted this isn't representative of the whole student body it may be an indication that people just aren't entirely too interested. If I were Rick I'd feel that situation out before using it as a major sell, because quite frankly we can't compete with UK on student life.

:D:lol: You're still here? I thought we'd run you off. I guess we need a few tips from Rick.

Roy what the hell are you doing over there? You are twisting the Majerus's players leaving at Utah situation just like Mizzou fans do and you don't even bother to bring up the fact that the number is skewed by players leaving for Mormon missions. Why don't you go over to Tigerboard and post that crap. It is the exact same kind of BS they post there. They will love you over there.

Why don't you just admit you don't want Harrellson here, because of Brad. It seems you hold Harrellson personally responsible for Brad's mistake.

I think you stung him pretty hard Brian. Have not seen a reply of his since this. I think you struck a nerve and I personally agree with you 100%.

If you do not like Majerus, that is fine, but distorting the truth against SLU basketball, appalling behavior for someone who considers themselves a true supporter

I think you stung him pretty hard Brian. Have not seen a reply of his since this. I think you struck a nerve and I personally agree with you 100%.

If you do not like Majerus, that is fine, but distorting the truth against SLU basketball, appalling behavior for someone who considers themselves a true supporter

Roy is a throw back to the 1950's. He'd like to watch unphysical guys in really short, shiny, shorts, play the game with zero physical contact. He'd also like to win without a hint of the ugliness that is inherent in modern recruiting. I understand his feelings but do not wish to tilt at windmills personally.

Like many of the Cardinal fans who hate on Larussa, Roy will pay his ticket money and enjoy the wins and hopfully the post season success. He'll beotch and moan and be happy to see Majerus's backside waddling back to Wisconsin. I'd also guess that he and the anti Larussa fans will likely be disappointed with the following coach.....

You have no idea what was said to anyone.

Are you saying that once Willie Reed committed we should turn down or quit pursuing better players in the same class?

This recruiting over argument is probably the stupidest one ever had on this board. Can you imagine your coach just signed K. Mitchell, you've stated you are handing the keys to him. You get wind of a player that is much higher ranked that may be interested in your program, or your at a game and you see a guy that is clearly better ... do you recruit the guy? o you offer the guy?

Of course you do ... you recruit him, and do everything you can legally to get him to sign, doing anything else should get you fired.

If K. Mitchell is or whoever the first recruit is ... is worth a crap, they welcome the challenge and look forward to playing on a team that will be better with the 2 of you rather than just 1.

In addition, who the hell knows how a recruit is going to turn out ... you get every top player you can, and let it work itself out.

This subject of recruiting over one player or another is really silly. The top programs bring in great players year after year after year. I think I heard Duke had 8 McDonald All-Americans! A coach should get the best players he can and let the cream rise to the top. That is what makes a great program. RM is doing his job. Recruit the best players he can then let the best of the best get the minutes. That is called competition.

Besides that I see plenty of minutes for our bigs in the future. RM likes a big line-up. I can easily see Thompson, Reed, Harrelson rotating at the 4 and 5 and all getting plenty of minutes. If Conklin can hit the outside shot and an occasional three it would be great to see him at the 3. Why did Kansas win the national title? Because they had lots of talent at every position. They went at least 10 deep. So let's recruit over all the players we can so the Bills can be 9 or 10 deep as well. Then we will be cookin!!!!!!!!!!!!

not that rickma has ever done that right? just ask the four kids that have no school right now.

Seriously, roy, do you want rm to coach short-handed for 2 or 3 more years? I'd rather have a few guys who might see the floor someday. It's not like he's taking a playing who averaged 15 points a game and sending him away. Would you rather have another 6-man rotation?

So now you're an xs and os expert? You knew more about how to coach this exteremely flawed roster more than RM? You don't think he "coached up" Danny Brown? Is there a coach out there who could have gotten this team to the postseason? You criticized RM's xs and os more in one month than you did Sodie during his entire tenure.

ace, I agree with much of what you've posted in this thread. However, how can you say that rm "coached up" Danny Brown? Brown was injured for 2 years and got healthy. What did RM do...fly him over to Lourdes?

I believe the meth #'s are a little higher in jeff co than in carbondale. The real sad thing is if JT had come to SLU he would be the all time greatest player in SLU history!

So is it even sadder that he is the all time greatest player at a S***hole like Carbondale?

You know your from Carbondale when your house has more wheels than the car.

ace, I agree with much of what you've posted in this thread. However, how can you say that rm "coached up" Danny Brown? Brown was injured for 2 years and got healthy. What did RM do...fly him over to Lourdes?

What he taught him is discipline. For the first 3 years of Danny's career, he was a walking turnover. RM took the ball out of his hand, taught him to play some defense, and helped him with his shot selection decisions, other than that, he did nothing.

Roy is the Skip Bayless of billikens.com. He thrives on the attention generated from controversy that he creates.

so jimbo if i was a recruit and rickma came back with that argument i would conclude that slu wont be as good of a team as kentucky.

my point is that this issue is not a recruiting point for us to use.

Broy, we agree on this. I don't think any coach should use the argument, "you know, you stand a better chance of being recruited over at KY than you do at SLU'. The player should, and would, find this insulting and could result in a decision like, "yeah, well, I'll show you." I don't think RM will do this. My guess would be the pitch to JH is going to center on these points: 1.) RM's development of bigs, 2.) The big man's important role in RM's offense, 3.) An appeal to him helping build the "local" program along with a good incoming class, ie we could be special, 4.) The excitement of the new arena, 5.) Hopefully, SLU's academics. There's no way we can compete w/ KY's adoring fan base, history, TV exposure, sexy coeds, and their night life. Not to mention Ashley Judd. I'd say we have a real mountain to climb here as JH is probably pinching himself these days. "Jeez, one lousy offer from WIU, one year later I got KY and IU after me!" What ever his decision let's wish him well and move on.