Majerus recap

Adman

Great post nark....its that kind of educated perspective that we needed on this thread....people were getting themselves in a panic for no reason.

Band. Agree totally with Nark as well but there still is some reason to be concerned. Not time to panic and am confident RM will maximize and utilize the limited talent he has. With that said, coaching can only go so far. Healthy and talented players are still required. Frankly, I have concerns in that AK and DM (not given a chance last year) are almost as unknown as BE and RM. Add to this the fact that BH has been wearing a cast on his foot.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like RM will have a talk with DM telling him he doesn't have the tools to compete at this level. We can't sign 7 unless someone and leaves and everything points to DM as being the person designated to leave. RM doesn't sound like he allows scholarships to be wasted on players with no chance to contribute. Thankfully the days of banking scholarships are gone.

Does DB get a red-shirt year or will there not be a schollie for him?

Lots and lots of info to share. I will do more of a bullet point. Someone else can provide a nice write up

1. Starting lineup for Friday- DP, KL, LM, BE, AK

2. DP has academic issues and won't play until he gets them in order

3. That wasn't a typo TL won't start.... he is in the dog house big time.

4. Danny Brown may be lost for the year

5. DM may redshirt.... Rick said he is working hard but doesn't really bring anything to the table

6. AM blew out his toe and might be lost for the year. He gets and MRI tomorrow.

7. Majerus had an undercooked brat.

8. he loves LM

9. Bryce had his first practice today

10. We are playing Notre Dame next year or the year after. RM really really wants to play other Jesuit schools and MIZZOU!

11. There is a recruit coming in on Thursday.... NATE?

12. We might sign up to seven players

13. Peyton Jacks in the other walk on.

14. he wants out of the A10. Really wants in the big East

I will post more as I remember.

Also... RM just had a very pessimistic view about this season. I really think he just wants to get through this season as fast as possible.

Additional questions???????

How was the attendance and atmosphere? Did the food hold out? Would you have expected more to attend or was it what you expected?

Were the band and chearleaders there? Or was this strictly a RM event?

I realize these aren't the primary questions on everyone's mind, but I'm curious. In effect, this replaced midnight madness.

The most troubling thing of all is the Mitchell injury. If he is out for the season then it is my belief that this will be a huge blow to this team because he is an athletic warrior who is something we really need to compete in the conference. This will also dramatically weaken our whole rotation and require bigger minutes from a small group.

I sure hope Tommie can get it together. In several discussions with RM, I noticed that he never directly ever criticized Tommie but his praise came for others.

If we do not have the East St. Louis connection playing big minutes and well, by the end of January we might be saying this is nothing more than a prep session for next year and beyond. That would be very disappointing but we need Mr. Mitchell and Mr. Liddell--period!

Additional questions???????

How was the attendance and atmosphere? Did the food hold out? Would you have expected more to attend or was it what you expected?

Were the band and chearleaders there? Or was this strictly a RM event?

I realize these aren't the primary questions on everyone's mind, but I'm curious. In effect, this replaced midnight madness.

1. Attendance was pretty good I would say for SLU. It was hard to gauge as it was in the BSC ballroom and that place is huge. I think it was about in line with what I expected.

2. The Band and cheerleaders were not there. This was essentially a lets have Rick talk for however long people have questions. He seriously would have stayed all night. He made the comment that he wished he had a board so he could talk Xs and Os with fans.

Is there a reason why you chose to use Harris-Stowe? Also, Billiken fans stay tuned for an interview with a Billiken coach on STL Hoops Insider. Anyone care to guess which coach took time out to share with STL Hoops Insider?

Because that person hates Harris-Stowe and therefore indirectly wanted to disparage Stl hoops insider.

Band. Agree totally with Nark as well but there still is some reason to be concerned. Not time to panic and am confident RM will maximize and utilize the limited talent he has. With that said, coaching can only go so far. Healthy and talented players are still required. Frankly, I have concerns in that AK and DM (not given a chance last year) are almost as unknown as BE and RM. Add to this the fact that BH has been wearing a cast on his foot.

Clock. I can see where you have concerns with certain aspects of our roster, and I agree that coaching goes so far. However, you have to consider what impact he will have on the players. He has a history with helping big men improve. I would expect to see an improved Bryce (although he's been hurt recently, his offseason conditioning was likely rigorous with the new training staff). Also, it seems like RM is very high on AK. Coming out of high school the kid had promise. Even though he didn't have much playing time last year, I think Majerus may help him maximize his full potential. Finally BE isn't necesarilly an unknown. He was a JUCO 2nd team all-american. Like I said in a past thread, our strength is our guard play with Tommie (assuming he gets out of the dog house) and Kevin. A coach like Majerus can minimize the negative effects of any weaknesses by having his team play fundamentally sound, intense, and mistake free basketball.

1. Attendance was pretty good I would say for SLU. It was hard to gauge as it was in the BSC ballroom and that place is huge. I think it was about in line with what I expected.

2. The Band and cheerleaders were not there. This was essentially a lets have Rick talk for however long people have questions. He seriously would have stayed all night. He made the comment that he wished he had a board so he could talk Xs and Os with fans.

To be honest, i was expecting more turnout, especially from the Students who had a poor showing and where were the 300+ Blue Crew members from last year?? (I'm with Roy on the student seating issue, make them EARN those seats)

SLU did make an effort and had people spaced all around the Building directing people to the free food and the event...there were signs up quite a few places. but the Room was more than half empty. I overheard some students walking through the hall at BSC and joking about what a joke it is to "meet Majerus" and "meet the team, i mean, who cares?" was the one guys response. Those are the guys the school has to win over. coach mentioned it several times tonite about changing the basketball culture at SLU, he was talking about on the court as well as getting people involved. He seemingly thanked each student as they left the room and mentioned that he wanted to meet them at the dorms and get them involved.

Majerus is not a flashy guy, but brutally honest with what he has to say regarding his players...I don't think he's playing the expectations game. He IS however going to make a huge impact with guys like Tommie with his coaching efforts. Oh, and JUST like his book, and every other event where he speaks, he rambles...and rambles. For me, they are very interesting and pertinent rambles, but the man takes the scenic route to get to a point.

No, the band was not there, but I don't know if we were asked...I'm not sure we should have been there anyway as this was very much a low key event for Rick to answer questions. Thats all he did, I'm not sure if they had anything planned beyond that, but they did have a stage set up (Which Rick didn't use) and Rammer was there, but he didn't do much.

I recall an article where RM said this season is for setting the tone and tenor for long term gains. I don't think he plans on setting it by losing , but by putting a team on the floor that is smart, hustles, and plays above their talent level. This guy didn't post the 7th best record among active coaches by not knowing what buttons to push. That said, the news about AM is bad. I remember Mark Bavaro, Giant's TE, said one time turf toe is the most painful injury he ever played through. So a broken toe could put him out. I didn't get the DP thing either, start but sit until grades are in order? By Firday? Aren't midterms still three weeks away or so? The myster man so far is Relphorde? Don't hear anything about him. Is it just me, or wasn't he supposed to be the gem of the new guys? Looks like DM is on his way to DII ball. And DB is going to have a tough senior year. Sounds like TDell and JaleJar better pull TL aside for a long talk. How do you serve a guy from Bratland and undercooked Brat? Yet, he still ate it? Cane the chef! She's a new day at SLU for sure.

Does DB get a red-shirt year or will there not be a schollie for him?

No room for him. RM is building a program. DB has had 3 years to show his stuff and hasn't been able to claim a starting position despite being one of the top 2 or 3 athletes on the team. It's play and contribute this year or call it a career. Either way he got his four year scholarship and that's all he's going to get.

Interpretations from above and afar:

Remember the old mid-term grades statement? All midterms were were either a pat on the back or a kick in the butt. Maybe RM has tried the flattery approach on TL and failing that, has gone the other route. It seems he is also using similar tactics with BH. He praises LM and KL. Not good or bad, just that different people (adults included) respond better to one way or the other. Some also react differently: one could take all the negativity and come back with an "I'll show him" attitude or a "screw it, I'm outta here" response. I've seen both and I've actually done both (both employ the tactics as well as being the responder). Who knows.

Didn't we redhsirt DB already? You only get five years to complete four with rare occasions for a sixth year granted for medical issues. Maybe this qualifies for that. I don't recall but this seems to be a prime example of what kid gets whacked when a new coach takes over. Every kid has to essentially "try out" all over again when the managment changes. As someone pointed out DB hasn't been much of a consistent performer up to this date. Being injured means that he failed his impression opportunity with RM already. Keeping a kid five or six years seems like a good thing to do but we have been more likely to see guys give us Justin Johnson-like production rather than any impressive numbers. And I would say it takes a very special senior to sit on the bench that last year, expecially when you believe you should be out there and all you need is that one chance. I recall JJ getting tons of chances and pretty much failing the whole way. Of course, the grader was Soderberg so that's a moot point now.

DP and grades? That is about as out-of-leftfield as they come. That's a shocker. I would have thought the sentence more understandable if written "his shot in order" as opposed to his grades. And that starting lineup, wow! Who's going to shoot? Dear opposing coach: double team Lisch, play straight up nose-to-nose with LM making him beat you off the dribble, and see if three guys that collectively have averaged 4.8 points per game in limited NCAA experience can pick up the slack and beat you.

I can see RM liking and playing AK. Not only does he have really no choice but think Doleac, Van Horne, Jensen, Knollmeyer. Seems to be a streaming logic sort of thing. This is not a bash BS thing but I have to ask it just the same: why does a guy recruit and sign players he never uses? And its just not AK. the same goes for JJ, DM, DB, HD, OI and I'm sure a whole bunch of others. Heck, he would not have used Ian if Frericks didn't get hurt.

Which brings me to a double point on DM. The first places him in that "whacked" category as DB seems to be and the other is right above, again, who recruits kids to NOT play? redshirt or not, I think youhave to look at what a redshirt opportunity will do for you and the team. Will a redshirt means Maguire gets better in something that can then be applied to minutes on the court? I don't know --- here are two coaches who apparently dont' see anything in this kid. Just wasted money if you ask me.

Which still makes me nervous about the upcoming year in this other fact: these are all not RM recruits. I would venture the opinion that every Soderberg recruit has arrived with an issue. About the only one who has not seems to be Lisch. But Lisch is taking a beating and wearing down. I am not here to name names but if anyone mentioned any recruit, I think an issue could be raised. Not that everyone is perfect but it seems that these basketball issues are/were never overcome. I am really hoping that goes by the wayside in the RM era. I am hoping that RM can weave some magic into this roster and win more than he should. Given the depleted roster and what appears to be a growing number of MIAs, survival might be the theme of the upcoming year.

As for the SLU students, they have alwasy had something better to do, something more important than meeting and supporting the coach. I think that has a lot to do with the school's setup, makeup and location. I don't know that its changed, some say more kids live on or near campus than before but when I went there, the SLUH guys, the Chaminade guys, the DeSmet guys, the Vianney guys, the St. Joe's girls, the Nerinx Hall girls and all the rest drove onto campus in the morning and left in the evening. They went back to their other County friends and never really returned to the school. They had work (with the cost of SLU no, hoo-boy!) or previous social groups and friends. They never really knew who these "foreigners" were that played basketball or, in my time, the hockey Canadiens. Us guys on campus knew them better. Plus, there is the social distraction that St. Louis is as a major city. Massive malls. the Muny. Forest Park. The Fox. Multiple megaplexes. All contribute to doing much more and varied things then going to the basketball game at State College, Pa. Or Elon, North Carolina. Or Peoria, Illinois. Or Laramie, Wyoming. And the demographics have to be polar opposites as well. Sign me up with broy and the Band ---- students need to earn more seats before they get them arbitrarily set aside. I suspect the fanatics we have in our BlueCrew still won't be hard pressed to get a ticket even all the way up to tipoff.

I think this will be a relatively tough year.

As for the SLU students, they have alwasy had something better to do, something more important than meeting and supporting the coach. I think that has a lot to do with the school's setup, makeup and location. I don't know that its changed, some say more kids live on or near campus than before but when I went there, the SLUH guys, the Chaminade guys, the DeSmet guys, the Vianney guys, the St. Joe's girls, the Nerinx Hall girls and all the rest drove onto campus in the morning and left in the evening. They went back to their other County friends and never really returned to the school. They had work (with the cost of SLU no, hoo-boy!) or previous social groups and friends.

I would say it's significantly different now - it's no longer a commuter school. It wasn't like that when I was in school, and I graduated 10 years ago.

Agree that Athletic Department and Alumni Relations deserve kudos. Coach, too. This event was actually his idea. Since he doesn't like open practices or Midnight Madness, he thought this kind of format would be nice for alums and fans of the program. He is a great asset to the U.

Basketball-wise, I thought the most interesting subject was Tommie. RM said he's playing "too back" or something similar. Said he's not going to play until he plays better defense and takes better care of ball. While I'm sure there are mind games involved, it sounded like he was serious about making him a better player. He also talked about how crucial his D was to "team" defense effort, how it will help shore up other match-up problems we might have under the basket.

Very nice event.

Taj said: "Didn't we redhsirt DB already? You only get five years to complete four with rare occasions for a sixth year granted for medical issues. Maybe this qualifies for that. I don't recall but this seems to be a prime example of what kid gets whacked when a new coach takes over. Every kid has to essentially "try out" all over again when the managment changes. As someone pointed out DB hasn't been much of a consistent performer up to this date. Being injured means that he failed his impression opportunity with RM already. Keeping a kid five or six years seems like a good thing to do but we have been more likely to see guys give us Justin Johnson-like production rather than any impressive numbers. And I would say it takes a very special senior to sit on the bench that last year, expecially when you believe you should be out there and all you need is that one chance. I recall JJ getting tons of chances and pretty much failing the whole way. Of course, the grader was Soderberg so that's a moot point now.

As for the SLU students, they have alwasy had something better to do, something more important than meeting and supporting the coach. I think that has a lot to do with the school's setup, makeup and location. I don't know that its changed, some say more kids live on or near campus than before but when I went there, the SLUH guys, the Chaminade guys, the DeSmet guys, the Vianney guys, the St. Joe's girls, the Nerinx Hall girls and all the rest drove onto campus in the morning and left in the evening. They went back to their other County friends and never really returned to the school. They had work (with the cost of SLU no, hoo-boy!) or previous social groups and friends. They never really knew who these "foreigners" were that played basketball or, in my time, the hockey Canadiens. Us guys on campus knew them better. Plus, there is the social distraction that St. Louis is as a major city. Massive malls. the Muny. Forest Park. The Fox. Multiple megaplexes. All contribute to doing much more and varied things then going to the basketball game at State College, Pa. Or Elon, North Carolina. Or Peoria, Illinois. Or Laramie, Wyoming. And the demographics have to be polar opposites as well. Sign me up with broy and the Band ---- students need to earn more seats before they get them arbitrarily set aside. I suspect the fanatics we have in our BlueCrew still won't be hard pressed to get a ticket even all the way up to tipoff.

Taj, great post and overall I am in agreement with you, with two exceptions:

DB never redshirted. He played his "real" freshman year. I know you can have 2 redshirt seasons anyway, but I'm not sure if both have to be for medical reasons. That's a good question- I know at least one does. Rachel Diener took 2, both were obviously medical though.

I am in complete agreement about SLU's student apathy. However, the commuter campus you paint is a thing of the past. I came into SLU with a lot of my high school friends, and of course there were tons of us local single-sex private school grads. But just about all of us lived on campus or adjacent to campus for 4 years. And just about all of us were very involved in on-campus activities and supporting the sports teams. My experience there was that no one really comes to SLU with the sports teams in mind. They go there after applying to a handful of schools, maybe it was their top choice, maybe not. So many of my out-of-town friends had hometown or home state teams they already rooted for, largely in part because we do not have a football program. It just seemed like everyone on my floor freshman year had another school whose basketball and football teams they supported- I lived with two different Ohio State fans, and also had friends who were huge fans of Notre Dame, Duke (for whatever reason), Wisconsin, Mizzou, Marquette, Xavier, and the list goes on. Anyway, I think it's more of an overall mindset of incoming students than it is a function of being a former commuter campus. It takes a long time to cure apathy, and nothing will help that change faster than winning- and a big name coach like RM is a step in the right direction. If we can maintain a strong, winning program for several years in a row, incoming students will be a lot more jacked about basketball and excited to have a new team to cheer for.

Taj said: "Didn't we redhsirt DB already? You only get five years to complete four with rare occasions for a sixth year granted for medical issues. Maybe this qualifies for that. I don't recall but this seems to be a prime example of what kid gets whacked when a new coach takes over. Every kid has to essentially "try out" all over again when the managment changes. As someone pointed out DB hasn't been much of a consistent performer up to this date. Being injured means that he failed his impression opportunity with RM already. Keeping a kid five or six years seems like a good thing to do but we have been more likely to see guys give us Justin Johnson-like production rather than any impressive numbers. And I would say it takes a very special senior to sit on the bench that last year, expecially when you believe you should be out there and all you need is that one chance. I recall JJ getting tons of chances and pretty much failing the whole way. Of course, the grader was Soderberg so that's a moot point now.

Taj, great post and overall I am in agreement with you, with two exceptions:

DB never redshirted. He played his "real" freshman year. I know you can have 2 redshirt seasons anyway, but I'm not sure if both have to be for medical reasons. That's a good question- I know at least one does. Rachel Diener took 2, both were obviously medical though.

I am in complete agreement about SLU's student apathy. However, the commuter campus you paint is a thing of the past. I came into SLU with a lot of my high school friends, and of course there were tons of us local single-sex private school grads. But just about all of us lived on campus or adjacent to campus for 4 years. And just about all of us were very involved in on-campus activities and supporting the sports teams. My experience there was that no one really comes to SLU with the sports teams in mind. They go there after applying to a handful of schools, maybe it was their top choice, maybe not. So many of my out-of-town friends had hometown or home state teams they already rooted for, largely in part because we do not have a football program. It just seemed like everyone on my floor freshman year had another school whose basketball and football teams they supported- I lived with two different Ohio State fans, and also had friends who were huge fans of Notre Dame, Duke (for whatever reason), Wisconsin, Mizzou, Marquette, Xavier, and the list goes on. Anyway, I think it's more of an overall mindset of incoming students than it is a function of being a former commuter campus. It takes a long time to cure apathy, and nothing will help that change faster than winning- and a big name coach like RM is a step in the right direction. If we can maintain a strong, winning program for several years in a row, incoming students will be a lot more jacked about basketball and excited to have a new team to cheer for.

Thanks for all the info guys ... this is the best thread we've had in awhile, shows we haven't lost it ... we just needed something to work with. I wish I could have been there, but practice with my team has to take priority ... it hurts though.

Just a few random comments

I wouldn't worry about TL starting or playing 30 minutes per game when the game counts. RM is making a point and it will benefit Tommie when all is said and done.

DB has not used a redshirt ... he went to a prep school so he got what was basically a free year of HS. You can get a 2nd redshirt year, but I'm almost certain you have to petition the NCAA for it. If DB redshirts thats an idication RM believes he can bringh some value to the team next year.

In regards to DM, I would think RM has had a conversation with him and if he didn't think DM has the tools to contribute in some way would be suggesting he transfer if he wants to play ... or, maybe he has and DM wants to go to SLU regardless of his role on the team.

It's nice to see the arrow on AK may be beginning to point up. Imo ... AK seems like he fits with what RM recruits. From what I saw last year his major problem was his footwork, he was always shuffling his feet and didn't seem to be skilled on any real low post moves and he wasn't adept at staking out his position down low. These are the things RM will help him with ... RM is a very tactical coach, he will teach AK the intricacies 9sp) of playing down low.

Wouldn't it be nice if we all had a crystal ball and could determine which HS players will underachieve, develop as expected, or overachieve. Every team has players that rarely contribute throughout their 4 years, but most I would say bring some sort of value to the team. I think why we seem to have more is UB didn't seem to get the players he really wanted consistently ... so he was often left reaching.

DP grades ... that is a shocker. DP seems like a good kid, I hope he gets it together. RM has started early making it clear that he is serious about grades.

One thing that I did chuckle at was Coach commenting that he has an interview scheduled with the AP today and he really wanted to get out of it. Says he likes the local media, but did mention that one of the local TV guys had a "man crush" on him. Rammer smiled at that, since he knows all too well that the "Man Crush" is obviously from Frank Cusumano.

Missed ya at the evnt, 'Cus!!

just a couple more thoughts to expand on from last night...

-he is not a fan of the A10 by any stretch and i got the impression he would move to the MVC if he could, but he also said he is trying to get SLU to a point where it can get with the non-football Big East schools when it breaks up

-very cool move to let the kids talk in front of people

-says he does not bash officials during the game as that can lead to excuses, that will be interesting for me to observe

-along with help from a guest made what i thought was a great point about A10 refs given that we are so far from the rest of the schools, point being the refs from MO (Doug Mac said there are 3, I only know of Pollard) probalby don't do games other than in STL and the good refs probably don't come from the east to STL to do games

-he made a point about running out of food at this event, something like why be afraid to have 20 too many brats and instread have 4 too few, a shot at changing the way the ath dept, and maybe the school, does business

-mentioned lack of tv package and how that impacts recruiting

-i have heard him speak several times now, and he does not disappoint at all, thanks to the ath dept for putting on the event

I agree with pretty much with everything that has been said about last night. Saying Tommie is in the dog house big time might be exagerrating a bit. Rick said he needs to change his attitude on defense and be more aware of position on the defensive side of the ball. You could tell that he thought Tommie will pick it up just takes some time. He really doesnt like the A-10 and he really showed it last night, said if we were in the Big 12 or Big East that we would have the best recruiting class in the nation.

I thought the student turnout was pretty pathetic to be honest. We are entering a new era of SLU basketball and there were a handful of students there on a monday night. I was really pissed at that. The turnout overall was ok but could of been better. Oh well, he said he would like to have something similar in the Spring.

I think it's more of an overall mindset of incoming students than it is a function of being a former commuter campus. It takes a long time to cure apathy, and nothing will help that change faster than winning- and a big name coach like RM is a step in the right direction. If we can maintain a strong, winning program for several years in a row, incoming students will be a lot more jacked about basketball and excited to have a new team to cheer for.

all i know is the students want to be included and we are hearing about being insulted with the space being reserved for students yet they do nothing to show they will be a serious attendance force when things get moved on campus. they want to b!tch about buses and inconvienence (which sorry, imo isnt an acceptable excuse.) it should be a students resposibility to get to the games. back in the day, the likes of old man Taj and myself figured out how to get to the arena which was even more inconvienent than the current scott trade. but we were there because as students we believed it was our duty to support the team.

and to say winning is required to expect student attendance? b.s. we sat thru eckerball. wtf was a win.

so along comes this event last night on campus, free food, plenty of room, hell if nothing else seniors get to mingle with alums with jobs. and the report today is a poor student turnout.

sorry if i dont get behind the "let's reserve the front row for the students" campaign.

Thanks for all the info guys ... this is the best thread we've had in awhile, shows we haven't lost it ... we just needed something to work with. I wish I could have been there, but practice with my team has to take priority ... it hurts though.

Just a few random comments

I wouldn't worry about TL starting or playing 30 minutes per game when the game counts. RM is making a point and it will benefit Tommie when all is said and done.

DB has not used a redshirt ... he went to a prep school so he got what was basically a free year of HS. You can get a 2nd redshirt year, but I'm almost certain you have to petition the NCAA for it. If DB redshirts thats an idication RM believes he can bringh some value to the team next year.

In regards to DM, I would think RM has had a conversation with him and if he didn't think DM has the tools to contribute in some way would be suggesting he transfer if he wants to play ... or, maybe he has and DM wants to go to SLU regardless of his role on the team.

It's nice to see the arrow on AK may be beginning to point up. Imo ... AK seems like he fits with what RM recruits. From what I saw last year his major problem was his footwork, he was always shuffling his feet and didn't seem to be skilled on any real low post moves and he wasn't adept at staking out his position down low. These are the things RM will help him with ... RM is a very tactical coach, he will teach AK the intricacies 9sp) of playing down low.

Wouldn't it be nice if we all had a crystal ball and could determine which HS players will underachieve, develop as expected, or overachieve. Every team has players that rarely contribute throughout their 4 years, but most I would say bring some sort of value to the team. I think why we seem to have more is UB didn't seem to get the players he really wanted consistently ... so he was often left reaching.

DP grades ... that is a shocker. DP seems like a good kid, I hope he gets it together. RM has started early making it clear that he is serious about grades.

if majerus wants to be taken serious by the players, just sitting liddell for a closed practice scrimmage isnt the answer. liddell has to actually conform or else if majerus caves the first real game, that threat will ring pretty hollow.

as to maguire, folks need to remember that dustin was a high school center. there is a learning curve. justin love went off to jucoland for two years to convert from high school center to division one wing. what makes anyone believe maguire will figure it out any sooner? if majerus didnt think he had it, he would chase him now. he wouldnt be talking about keeping him or possibly red-shirting him. the truth is that maguire does one thing very well apparently, shoot. that might be worth waiting for. let it play out instead of campaigning for a trade to umsl.

on polk, while i dont think it is appropriate to be talking about these kids grades specifically, i do think it is relevant to point out dwayne's high school experience academically. he was amongst the best students at the absolute worst academic high school in st louis (ironically according to rft articles, polk shouldnt have even been at vashon. ironic that it comes back to bite him later in life). i.e. is the best at the worst translate into a slu caliber student? not necessarily.

if there is one thing i think all prospective college athletes need to zero in on is the importance of setting themselves up academically by doing the right thing academically starting as a freshman in high school already. the truth is very few of these college kids will make a living playing sports, someone needs to do the right thing advising them. unfortunately, the easy thing to do as an "advisor" is to tell them what they want to hear and assure them they are nba potential. the likes of floyd irons should be in jail.

if majerus wants to be taken serious by the players, just sitting liddell for a closed practice scrimmage isnt the answer. liddell has to actually conform or else if majerus caves the first real game, that threat will ring pretty hollow.

as to maguire, folks need to remember that dustin was a high school center. there is a learning curve. justin love went off to jucoland for two years to convert from high school center to division one wing. what makes anyone believe maguire will figure it out any sooner? if majerus didnt think he had it, he would chase him now. he wouldnt be talking about keeping him or possibly red-shirting him. the truth is that maguire does one thing very well apparently, shoot. that might be worth waiting for. let it play out instead of campaigning for a trade to umsl.

on polk, while i dont think it is appropriate to be talking about these kids grades specifically, i do think it is relevant to point out dwayne's high school experience academically. he was amongst the best students at the absolute worst academic high school in st louis (ironically according to rft articles, polk shouldnt have even been at vashon. ironic that it comes back to bite him later in life). i.e. is the best at the worst translate into a slu caliber student? not necessarily.

if there is one thing i think all prospective college athletes need to zero in on is the importance of setting themselves up academically by doing the right thing academically starting as a freshman in high school already. the truth is very few of these college kids will make a living playing sports, someone needs to do the right thing advising them. unfortunately, the easy thing to do as an "advisor" is to tell them what they want to hear and assure them they are nba potential. the likes of floyd irons should be in jail.

One thing on Maguire is that Majerus pointed on how fragmented his shot was and that he needs to work on it and that he never hit a shot of consequence last year. Maybe he is pressing and therefore his shot is off. It was obvious last night that Majerus feels that Maguire wont contribute this year or in years to come. Thats what I got out of the topic on Maguire.

One thing on Maguire is that Majerus pointed on how fragmented his shot was and that he needs to work on it and that he never hit a shot of consequence last year. Maybe he is pressing and therefore his shot is off. It was obvious last night that Majerus feels that Maguire wont contribute this year or in years to come. Thats what I got out of the topic on Maguire.

well there is no doubt that making shots in a horse game doesnt translate to live action with a defender of equal or greater size or being able to create your own shot.

but even though i cautioned 3 years ago that maguire as a high school center wasnt going to be a college guard necessarily, i still saw that he can make shots when he has the time. the trick is that you have to make that happen in less time and take out that feeling of fragmentation. remember, dustin has shot it like that for probably 12 years. now we expect him to switch that in one or two summers? not going to happen. what liddell did with his shot last summer is not the norm. it takes time. and like i said, if majerus is convinced that maguire has no future potential, he would be helping him find a school now instead of wasting eligibility. majerus sees something. whether it can be fixed remains to be seen.

Since the team needs bodies now, there would be no point in running off Maguire just yet. See if he can carve out a role this year, if he can't, then it would be best for everyone if he moved on, because playing time will only get more difficult to find next year and the year after.

well there is no doubt that making shots in a horse game doesnt translate to live action with a defender of equal or greater size or being able to create your own shot.

but even though i cautioned 3 years ago that maguire as a high school center wasnt going to be a college guard necessarily, i still saw that he can make shots when he has the time. the trick is that you have to make that happen in less time and take out that feeling of fragmentation. remember, dustin has shot it like that for probably 12 years. now we expect him to switch that in one or two summers? not going to happen. what liddell did with his shot last summer is not the norm. it takes time. and like i said, if majerus is convinced that maguire has no future potential, he would be helping him find a school now instead of wasting eligibility. majerus sees something. whether it can be fixed remains to be seen.

Dustin has bad form and he has had bad form since day 1. Not bad form like his elbow is flailing out, he never gets set, the ball leaves his hands as quickly as he catches it, it results in him pushing the ball with a jerky motion. I would agree with Roy, if RM didn't see something he liked and didn't think he could make him a good shooter at this level, he'd be suggesting he transfer, maybe he has and DM just wants to stay at SLU and work as hard as he can to contribute ... who knows, but I like to think with what I have seen of Dustin if he's willing to work hard enough ... he should be ok