Bernie's Take

Levick loses, too, in Biondi's big power play

By Bernie Miklasz

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

04/18/2007

Bernie Miklasz

There were so many questions that needed basic answers Tuesday after St. Louis University abruptly dismissed men's basketball coach Brad Soderberg without a hint of warning.

Why was Soderberg fired?

Who made the decision?

Was the decision unanimous within the SLU administration?

What role, if any, did boosters play in forcing Soderberg out?

What about the peculiar timing of this move? SLU's season ended March 9. Since then, programs across the nation have fired and hired coaches in a process that's gradually depleted the pool of candidates.

What about the immediate impact on recruiting? SLU has three scholarships to offer and was in close on some potential recruits. Won't this damage the effort to land those players?

And what about the players? What were they told?

Unfortunately, no one at SLU had the mettle to come forward and illuminate these shadowy areas with the truth of disclosure. No one had the nerve to take questions, speak for the university and provide answers to these obvious questions. No one had the integrity to be present and accountable for the Soderberg firing. No one had the decency, the courtesy, to address confused fans.

I've been critical of Soderberg because of his failure to recruit effectively and fill in a solid supporting cast to put around his two terrific players, Tommie Liddell and Kevin Lisch. He simply was overmatched as a recruiter.

So if SLU wanted to find a more skilled and ambitious coach, there's nothing insidious about that. Soderberg had five years and hasn't progressed despite pulling in Liddell and Lisch. And there's an increased financial stake on the table now. SLU is building an on-campus arena and will need to create a buzz to fill it, maximize revenue and use the momentum of the facility to attract recruits.

SLU can do better than Soderberg, but it isn't that simple. Had this move been made several weeks ago, a new coach could have gotten a head start on the first official day of this recruiting period. But now the next coach will be off to a late start and forced to pick through leftover recruits.

At least the new coach can get a jump on the next recruiting period and possibly find talented players to take into the new arena.

But whether you are pro-Brad or anti-Brad, I think most of us can agree on a couple of things: (1) the timing of his firing was bizarre and nonsensical; (2) we would like an explanation. Instead, the SLU president, the Rev. Lawrence Biondi, went into hiding Tuesday.

Multiple sources told me Biondi's muscle was behind this ouster. Multiple sources told me Biondi cut athletics director Cheryl Levick out of the loop, and humiliated her in the process by firing a coach she had backed.

Multiple sources told me Levick had assured the parents of potential recruits that Soderberg's job was safe — and now SLU's word is dirt. Multiple sources told me that at least one prominent booster had Biondi's attention and talked him into dumping Soderberg, even at this late date, which went against the wishes of virtually all key figures inside the SLU administration.

And after Biondi did all of this, he wrapped himself in the thin paper of a flimsy news release and scurried into retreat. What a profile in courage this Biondi is. I wanted to give him a chance to explain all this, but he'd already disappeared into his hiding place and couldn't be reached for comment.

In major-college athletics, you won't find a more embarrassing and unprofessional operation than the dictatorship that Biondi runs at SLU. He fires a coach, then ducks out, unwilling to face the heat or even polite questions. And no one on the campus is brave enough to stand up to the bully boss. No one at SLU has the will to put a name, a reputation, behind this Soderberg termination.

After another disgraceful chapter in its basketball history, SLU will begin another coaching search. And after shameful episode, how can Levick stay in this job? How can Levick possibly hire the next coach? By taking away Levick's power as the direct supervisor of the men's basketball program, Biondi destroyed any credibility Levick can bring to the hiring process. Potential candidates will laugh at the notion that Levick has any authority, or that she can protect them from her meddling boss. She's done.

Biondi is unequivocally in charge of basketball. And this tells us a lot. Because Biondi is the boss, SLU basketball continues to wallow in mediocrity, many years after his blustery, laughably hollow pledge to have a top 50 men's basketball team.

And because Biondi is the boss, the SLU coaching job is among the worst in NCAA Division I. Tuesday's gutless hit-and-run job confirmed that all over again.

Maybe there's hope. Why? Because now we know, once and for all, that Biondi is really running the men's basketball program. It's all on him. The success or failure of SLU basketball will be a direct reflection on his reputation. And maybe now the vain Biondi will be shamed into hiring a good coach and providing the resources necessary to truly build a top 50 program.

The truth is out, and Biondi no longer can hide from it.

Bernie is a jerk who hates SLU. He demands that Brad be fired and then because the University does it in such a stupid fashion he can rip the school and hide behind the circumstances of the firing. I am truly pissed that SLU gave him this opportunity to kick us while we are down.

A few months ago, a bunch of the students who post on this board reported that either they themselves or their friends and acquaintences felt that Biondi had executed some hit & run jobs without concern for the general student or faculty bodies...these others include things like the graduation fee instituted a month before the class of 05 was set to walk; the firing of Frs. Doody and Barry 2 days after classes ended in that same semester; the perpetual cleaning out of Parks' dean's office (4 deans in 4 years, I believe). Oh ya, and tuition is going to be up 8+% next year. Little to no student input on that one...in fact, in an SGA student survey, most respondents thought the increase would further reduce diversity (ethnic, racial, economic)on campus.

Now, I'm in no position to place blame, but the students here are far more sarcastic than the Biondi kool-aid drinkers that routinely post on this board. I suppose 35k/year can do that to some.

Again, I'm in no position to know enough to place blame or to claim to be privy to any sort of inside knowledge. I do, however, have a feeling that it won't be a leap in many minds to concur with Bernie's feelings.

I'm no fan of Biondi but he and Bernie have personal issues.

If the fear of having a mediocre to bad team playing in his 80 million dollar palace has frightened him into action I say it is about time. If Biondi took as much interest in the basketball program as he does in beautifying the campus we'd have final four appearances by now.

I don't worry about Levick's credibility. This is college basketball. You can believe coaches and players as far as you can throw them.

Bernie can attack and criticize Biondi for the way he did it, but he can't attack him for not caring about the program and wanting it to improve. Still, I hope Fr. Biondi pulls a big name out of his hat. Otherwise, Bernie's going to have a field day.

however billikan, you cant deny that he is completely right.

the real sad story is it seems father biondi has thrown cheryl under the bus. she is far too classy and talented. to be honest we dont deserve her.

slu72 said,

"Bernie can attack and criticize Biondi for the way he did it, but he can't attack him for not caring about the program and wanting it to improve."

i beg to differ. biondi doesnt care about the basketball program, he cares about the deep pockets of the people that care about the basketball program. the mistake on both biondi and deep pockets is that they didnt listen to their athletic director and basketball coach on the path to the promised land and how long it would take to get there.

His comment "one more chapter in the disgraceful history of SLU basketball". What disgraceful history, Burger Boy? Have we been hit with multiple bannings by the NCAA? Did I miss the story that one of our players beat up their girlfriend? Stole their room mate's laptop and ipod to buy a vial of crack?

slu72 hard to believe we agree on something. I think he wants Majerus as he thinks they can hit the Old Country Buffet together just before lunch and hang through dinner together saving the price of 1 meal.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

Skip, I feel bad for Soderberg. Good man, decent, hard working wanted to succeed. I don't know why he couldn't recruit beyond KL and TL, but he didn't and in the end that's what did him in. You and I agree we both want the best for this program. Hopefully, that's what we get in a couple of weeks.

I agree with Bernie that the timing and wall of silence are bizarre and amateurish. However, Bernie has been clamoring for years for the university to take college basketball more seriously and to not settle for medocrity. He has yet to publicly give the university any credit for the arena project. A few weeks ago he was criticizing SLU for touting Brad's 20-win season. Shouldn't he at least give some positive acknowledgement to the stated intention of SLU to replace Soderberg in order to improve the program and fill the arena? If they land a Majerus, Gillen, or even a Martin, haven't they upgraded the commitment to the program? Also, isn't this Levick's best opportunity to put her stamp on the program? When she gets over the initial shock, perhaps she will be excited about this opportunity.

Typical Bernie. He has a valid point and then gets emotional and goes over the top with it. He would not go Saturn V in this fashion on someone like Tony LaRussa. No, SLU seems to be Bernie's local whipping boy (see "SLU is irrelevant" mantra). Biondi deserves some abuse for the timing of this move ... but was all that garbage necessary? No sayeth I.

Biondi is not taking the program more seriously. He is treating it like a little project of his. Any coach will have a hard time believing anything told to him by Biondi. Not one of the former men's bball coaches during Biondi's tenure has much if anything good to say about him. He has lied to them all. It will take a ton of money to overcome that preception and that is one thing SLU doesn't have right now.

It is so easy to snuggle in your armchair and write this #####-look even I can do it.

BM is so appropriately nicknamed; he does run on like intestinal flu.

Okay, BM when would you fire the coach to start a new administration. BS was never going

to excite people in this town-he came too easily and too cheaply; what we need is a coach

we empty the coffers for and create a certain amount of jealousy with the research academics. They have money issues with Biondi on a regular basis. Biondi is building them a

giant edifice on Grand to balance the expense of the new arena.

Let's see what he has in the works. He orchestrated the Grawer/Spoon change, which worked out very well. I think everyone should reserve judgment to see what plays out over the next 2 or 3 weeks.

I still and in the wait and see mode. All that BM has written in the pasts show what little credibility he has. I also find it interesting that Bernie showed very little interest in SLU bball for years when so much more can of be written. Now, he's full of things to write.

It's hard for me to comment more on any of this as we still don't know much. The lack of a press conference is puzzling.

I do know this though. Biondi is a power guy and in some ways that has worked out well for the University in getting things done. But, this is one situation where it may not have worked well.

I also know Biondi is not afraid to make the tough decisions no matter what they are and if they are not popular with the public.

We all know it was a lousy way to do it. There should have been a press conference and a question and answer period. It's small minded to head for the hills and clam up like Sergeant Schultsz on Hogan's Heroes after doing something this unexpected. That said, look at Fr. Biondi's position. He's committed to an $80mm state of the art palace that is visible to the whole city and a landmark in midtown. He did it without having all his funding in place. Bold move, but now he's got to pay for it. How, by having a good team and filling it to capacity every game. If he'd stayed with UB, it would be akin to a NASCAR owner building the ultimate racing machine and then putting a driver whose never qualified behind the wheel. The car's super, but it ain't gonna win. You've got to think the reason they didn't fire him after the GW game was to give him one more shot on the recruiting trail. It appeared he might do well. Fair enough for a guy whose bought in zilch talent over his last three recruiting periods. It wasn't happening, so they showed him the door. Your really can't fault him for his decision, his method leaves a bitter taste, however.

I never thought I'd agree with his guy, but I finally do. This isn't about Brad Soderberg. This is about yet another amatuer and embarrasing move by the school. What kind of institution handles business like this?! Ok, we're going to fire the most high profile employee we have and NOT SAY A WORD? We'll let reporters knock down our door and just give them the cold shoulder. We'll wait to the DAY we may sign a great recruit and fire our coach. We'll let him continue to spend a TON of $$ to recruit for no reason.

This continues to amaze me. It looks like we have nobody lined up. Nobody within the athletic department was consulted on this. And any recruiting class has gone downt he pisser. This isn't about Brad. I don't know how ANYBODY can defend Biondi on this.

The problem is that Biondi did not have the track record then as he does now when it comes to lieing to coaches. That is what cracks me up about all the Jay Spoonhour talk. Jay would love to interview for this job because it would be a big step up from interviewing for UMKC and SEMO. Jay, I don't believe, would ever take this job after what his dad endured here. He will definitely be looking for a place that is nothing like this.