Soderberg on KFNS today at noon- summary

- Bills' Offensive PPP (points per possession) at .99 in A-10 play. Soderberg's goal is 1 point per possession, so they're doing well in that respect.

- Before the Charlotte game, they made some adjustments to IV's post defensive techniques, which resulted in better inside play from IV.

- Says he's very encouraged by the spring recruiting as it's progressing. He said that he chose not to pursue kids fall 2006 just for the sake of saving face.

- Coach says that they're in good standing with 8 athletes and are in good position to sign 4 or 5.

- Lots of cliche` talk about the Houston game.

- It sounds as if coach is going to continue giving JJ opportunities, especially after his performance against Charlotte.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

#1) Talk is cheap.

#2) Proof is in the pudding.

#3) Time will tell.

#4) Show me.

Thanks for the summary but let's see him stand and deliver. Not that he can or can't. I just don't know anymore. A lot riding on this, in my mind.

For the recruiting gurus out there. I am missing something here. I have never recruited a day in my life nor coached a team so in some eyes on this board I should have no opinion on the matter. But, should it be that tough to fill in the slots we need on this team to be successful? I believe we have the best 1-2 punch in KL and TL that we've had since the Bonner years. And, since our 1-2 punch are only sophomores, they may end up being the best 1-2 punch we've had in quite some time. So, is it really that tough to recruit one player that is just a step below where these two are at and then two other Luke Meyer type players who play their proper position. If you had that, I think we would be a team to contend with. What am I missing here?

Tonka said -So, is it really that tough to recruit one player that is just a step below where these two are at and then two other Luke Meyer type players who play their proper position. If you had that, I think we would be a team to contend with. What am I missing here?

-the fact that if you get 1 player you are basically replacing IV, not adding any depth to a roster with little depth

-we need more, much more, than 1 player

-and yes, it has been that tough for UB to recruit one or any number of players

-but let's hope his(UB's) words turn into players on the roster that can add to the team

>Tonka said -So, is it really that tough to recruit one

>player that is just a step below where these two are at and

>then two other Luke Meyer type players who play their proper

>position. If you had that, I think we would be a team to

>contend with. What am I missing here?

>

>-the fact that if you get 1 player you are basically

>replacing IV, not adding any depth to a roster with little

>depth

>-we need more, much more, than 1 player

>-and yes, it has been that tough for UB to recruit one or

>any number of players

>-but let's hope his(UB's) words turn into players on the

>roster that can add to the team

I'd agree with this and to the original queston...yes, recruiting is very very tough, one of the toughest things to do in coaching imo.

You are correct...it's a 365 day a year job. However, Brad was saying that he didn't SIGN people in the fall to "save face". He said he was recruiting several quality players who decided to commit elsewhere. He said he could have signed people in the fall to "save face" but didn't think they were an upgrade over our current talent or immediate contributers...thus no signings.

I am not necessarily opposed to signing 1 or 2 save face players. Not to save face, but you never know what will develop. If you have the scholarship. Use it. I see no reason to not have 13 Scholarship players on your roster. They may be the next Sekue, but they could also be the next John Redden or Matt Lawrence.

I'm not saying recruit one player and only one player. I said recruit one player who is a step below where Kevin and TL are right now and then 2 other players who are like LM. That would be a total of 3 must recruit players and anything after that would be recruited for depth.

The player right below KL and TL could be a JUCO and then find 2 LM type caliber players who are recruited into a position that is a natural fit for them. Therefore, you would have still AK, DB, DP, , DM, LM and BH, to add to that. Maybe I mistated myself.

he meant that he wasnt going to take the second choices that were ready to sign in the fall just to sign someone when he felt there were other choices that were not ready to sign yet that we could still pursue and sign in the spring that were better than those ready to sign in the fall. for example.

he didnt sign the point guard from chicago that signed with huggins instead at kstate. he could have likely signed paul erckle immediately as a guard instead. he elected to wait. i am sure there are other examples for the other kids that signed at georgia, iowa state and alexander that wants to go to oklahoma.

keep in mind that in early november we still had obi and horace on the roster and there was no reason to believe they were going to be gone 60 days later. i.e. the number of open spots werent as many.

i bet he will. i bet he always has at least one in hand. considering his pattern of preferring a short rotation, i have no problem with that.

Difficulty is only something you can not do very easily - other coaches with worse facilities, worse budgets, at worse academic schools still sign good players. It is clear now that recruiting is not a strong point of Brad so recruiting to SLU is difficult for him and probably no matter where he might be. I am not sure that other coaches would necessarily have the same problem here. Say what you want about Spoon his overall #s of players that were good players was much better than Brad's efforts. Grawer did better and had a lot less to work with.

As far as giving one or two "save face" schollies away - it is not a single year mistake but a 4 year one. How would this team look with 8 Bryce's on it. No - save the schollies but the real question is why is Brad missing on so many recruits to begin with?

"keep in mind that in early november we still had obi and horace on the roster and there was no reason to believe they were going to be gone 60 days later."

I can only speak for myself but it was not surprising at all to me that Obi and HD din't work out.

Have to agree with Cheese here. He shouldn't be in the position to even consider save face recruits. We've seen too many of those before; Obi, HD, VN, BH ad nauseum. We don't need any more stiffs and wouldn't even consider if he'd been able to "sell" some of those kids that went elsewhere. This spring signing period is important for him. He must be after some JUCO's because the hs players left may well be the "save face" types. My question is are we letting too many local, unranked, kids slip through the net and then they end up at SIU, MoState, N.Iowa and do just fine. SLU's strategy has to be to bond early with the state's and surrounding areas' best available talent. It's going to be tough enough going up against Anderson, SIU (w 6 straight NCAA trips), and even MoState and Bradley, who get more TV exposure than we do. Why waste time going after a Georgia kid when Georgia's after him? Or do battle with K.State and Hug the Thug? Ain't gonna win those games 99 times out of 100. Not yet anyways.

no way

spoon never brought in two players the same quality at the same time as TL and KL.

People point to spoon bringing in Dobbs and Robinson and some even speak of Donnie Campbell as a great recruit...Thats nuts. Dobbs and AD were similar players at different positions, but most on the board would hate to have another Drejaj on the team. I loved his heart and realized Brad would start him because he was a leader, a leader who could not shoot, but a leader on defense.

Robinson and Dobbs would be overpowered in this conference and the conference CUSA became. TF was a beast compared to both of these guys, and tough even with one arm.

As for other coaches and their ability to bring in recruits you seem to have a little cognitive dissidence. What players did Grawer bring in that allowed SLU to make it to the NCAA while he was coach? IF you want to point to AB and the NIT then I would submit this years team is just as good.

Spoon brought Larry but was one and done, justin Love did well but the miracle in memphis was under Romar who brought in no significant recruit. In science three trials with the same answer is usually a significant answer. I would say that based on Romar, spoon, and Grawer any coach at SLU will have a difficult time recruiting.

Of the St. Louis players that Brad recruited, TL, DP, KL,LM, DP have all been at least good. DP perhaps has not lived up to expectations but has been more positive than negative. Brad has missed on the JC level with VN, and an injury plagued senior season by frerichs. Bryce was a gamble to start, and one worth taking.

DB was a get due to TL needing to go the prep route.

JJ was a emergency get due to the Romar debacle.

HD and Obi were gambles. Obi was surprising and I think a symptom of the obesity epidemic society is faced with. But worth the shot. If anything I think having both of them leave increases our chances of landing to JC PF this spring.

AK- solid and not just physically he will be good by his senior year.

DM- still a question mark, no not a star but I would say he is as good as any player ROmar brought in, perhaps a Sloan equivalent at a different position.

I am not saying Brad has had stellar recruiting, but his decision to not to have save face recruits has one effect.... He has playing time to sell........JC recruits want to come in and play and win.....can any PF not look at SLU and see they would play.

The problem SLU might have is if an Alexander signs, will Powell see that as a plus or minus?

Does the juco guard from Nebraska see TL and KL as a plus or minus.