Coaching movement that might affect SLU

14 minutes ago, MUTGR said:

Over under on Martin winning more games his first year than Ford did his first year at SLU?  At least Martin had a plus .500 conference record at his two P5 stops, unlike Ford at OSU.  

Despite that, I think Ford is a good coach and wish him well as he seems like a good guy. 

Apples and oranges. If Ford had taken over SLU and found Jayson Tatum under the Christmas tree then you could compare.

I will repeat my thoughts from above: Porter going to MU had almost nothing to do with Cuonzo. Cuonzo did not "recruit" him. He was a gift from the women's basketball team and Porter's mom's desire to have the family together.

i do think it will be real interesting to see which program has more wins next year. That would be an interesting bet.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Apples and oranges. If Ford had taken over SLU and found Jayson Tatum under the Christmas tree then you could compare.

I will repeat my thoughts from above: Porter going to MU had almost nothing to do with Cuonzo. Cuonzo did not "recruit" him. He was a gift from the women's basketball team and Porter's mom's desire to have the family together.

i do think it will be real interesting to see which program has more wins next year. That would be an interesting bet.

I hope Cuonzo is gifted some more talent, because Porter needs a lot of help. 

Just as kind of a rational contribution on a couple fronts here, I'd like to say a few things. As someone from outside of Missouri and a younger SLU fan, I don't have a hatred of Mizzou since it is outside of my line of vision prior to coming to SLU. My stance on Mizzou is one of indifference, I just wish for SLU to be the best team in the state. This qualifier out of the way, let's get to a couple points. 

Martin to Mizzou is undoubtedly a good hire. The concern with him is complicated from my eyes. His stops at recent school have been brief, and a little underwhelming for the talent he brings in. Yet, what Mizzou needs is an infusion of talents after the mess of the KA era. Bringing talent in is what he does best, it is just a question of how long he sticks around. He seems to always have his eyes on the horizon.

Second, Porter to Mizzou is obviously a huge recruiting success, but a rational person can see the one time nature of this event. Contrary to what Jr. has said about not letting his dad decide his fate, this was tied very closely to his father also going back to CoMo. Porter alone does not bring Mizzou to the top of the SEC. Porter alone also does not really move the needle on 2018 guys since in all likelihood he isn't there to play with them. His commitment is a huge deal, but they need talent around him before Tiger fans can talk about a tournament, as some media have been doing. I fully expect Martin to recruit well at Mizzou, similar to what Travis has done here.

Long term, I'm still going to say the Bills have a brighter future, as there is an extra year of data to work with regarding Ford. 

You guys know that I know little about basketball coaching, but if Porter needs a lot of help to integrate into a team, and he has the idea of being a superhero of some kind, this might not work very well for Mizzou after all. Martin may have his hands full with Porter and everything else floating loose at Mizzou.

13 minutes ago, Old guy said:

You guys know that I know little about basketball coaching, but if Porter needs a lot of help to integrate into a team, and he has the idea of being a superhero of some kind, this might not work very well for Mizzou after all. Martin may have his hands full with Porter and everything else floating loose at Mizzou.

You're obviously a glass half empty kinda guy.  

15 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

Just as kind of a rational contribution on a couple fronts here, I'd like to say a few things. As someone from outside of Missouri and a younger SLU fan, I don't have a hatred of Mizzou since it is outside of my line of vision prior to coming to SLU. My stance on Mizzou is one of indifference, I just wish for SLU to be the best team in the state. This qualifier out of the way, let's get to a couple points. 

Martin to Mizzou is undoubtedly a good hire. The concern with him is complicated from my eyes. His stops at recent school have been brief, and a little underwhelming for the talent he brings in. Yet, what Mizzou needs is an infusion of talents after the mess of the KA era. Bringing talent in is what he does best, it is just a question of how long he sticks around. He seems to always have his eyes on the horizon.

Second, Porter to Mizzou is obviously a huge recruiting success, but a rational person can see the one time nature of this event. Contrary to what Jr. has said about not letting his dad decide his fate, this was tied very closely to his father also going back to CoMo. Porter alone does not bring Mizzou to the top of the SEC. Porter alone also does not really move the needle on 2018 guys since in all likelihood he isn't there to play with them. His commitment is a huge deal, but they need talent around him before Tiger fans can talk about a tournament, as some media have been doing. I fully expect Martin to recruit well at Mizzou, similar to what Travis has done here.

Long term, I'm still going to say the Bills have a brighter future, as there is an extra year of data to work with regarding Ford. 

I can't disagree with anything except your last sentence. 

23 hours ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

For those of you saying they paid the family money to get him, you know nothing about the family.

Family lived in Columbia their whole lives before they moved to Seattle last year, MP sr was the assistant coach for 6 years on the women's team, and his 2 sister sister play for Mizzou. 

Connect the dots

I don't believe they lived in a Columbia their whole lives. 6Thought I read they moved there recently when Daddy became assistant on the women's program. Io

17 minutes ago, milwaukeebill said:

How many porters are there? Is his younger brother still thinking of graduating early and playing with mp jr.?

I believe there are a couple of younger ones besides the two. 

Obviously getting the #1 recruit in his class outweighs this, but do you really want to try to start rebuilding with a daddy is the coach kind of culture? I doubt Mizzou has enough to make the tournament this year even with Porter, but that could turn really toxic with the non Porter players. It's like taking a shortcut to the NIT at best. And hopefully it sets Mizzou back a bit on their potential rebuild. 

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

Obviously getting the #1 recruit in his class outweighs this, but do you really want to try to start rebuilding with a daddy is the coach kind of culture? I doubt Mizzou has enough to make the tournament this year even with Porter, but that could turn really toxic with the non Porter players. It's like taking a shortcut to the NIT at best. And hopefully it sets Mizzou back a bit on their potential rebuild. 

I'm not predicting NCAA tournament.  I was pleased with the hire before the Porter rumors started. Oh, and Illinois wanted Martin too. 

1 hour ago, willie said:

I don't believe they lived in a Columbia their whole lives. 6Thought I read they moved there recently when Daddy became assistant on the women's program. Io

I believe there are a couple of younger ones besides the two. 

They didn't live in Columbia their whole lives, but according to Jon Sundvold, they loved it there, were very plugged into a Christian Church there, it was home to them. They are not Catholic but Christian, home schooled, boys played for the Catholic High School there, Father Tolton. 

12 minutes ago, MUTGR said:

They didn't live in Columbia their whole lives, but according to Jon Sundvold, they loved it there, were very plugged into a Christian Church there, it was home to them. They are not Catholic but Christian, home schooled, boys played for the Catholic High School there, Father Tolton. 

9 minutes ago, brianstl said:

What is that church's opinion on getting your son's godfather fired?

No honor amongst thieves over there at SPUMAC.

29 minutes ago, Soderball said:

No honor amongst thieves over there at SPUMAC.

I'm not sure that's what happened. In fact, I think it had more to do with 6 years of no NCAA appearances.  Oh, and by the way, I have the utmost respect for Romar.  Both as a coach and a man. 

9 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

Wouldn't it be such a UMC move to buy the #1 recruit and then be placed on probation? 

Keeping in the highest traditions of the institution.

Quin Snyder would be proud.

43 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Or you trying convince us or yourself the Tigers hired the right coach?  Feels like you are trying to convince yourself.

Neither. Illinois had him targeted too.  They offered him.