Kevin Lisch leaving Australia to play in Europe

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/basketball/perth-wildcats-coach-rob-beveridge-quits/story-fnhq5y0s-1226653018248

And while no official announcement has been made on Lisch, the import guard – currently playing alongside Shawn Redhage in Puerto Rico – is set to do the same, according to Wildcats boss Nick Marvin.

“He’s not in my forward planning given his conversations with me before he left (for Puerto Rico),” Marvin said of Lisch, who has an Italian passport.

“It was a flat-out, ‘He’s going to play in Europe’.

If I remember correctly, hIs Grandfather is 100% Italian meaning he is able to apply for Italian citizenship and therefore doesn't count against the limit of American players on the team.

If I remember correctly, hIs Grandfather is 100% Italian meaning he is able to apply for Italian citizenship and therefore doesn't count against the limit of American players on the team.

Didn't something similar happen to Josh Fisher when he married a Spaniard?

This may be true but then he would have to give up his US passport. The US does not recognize dual citizenship or dual passports. I am sure he could still get an Italian passport and simply act as if the US one does not exist. Seems like a rather silly way to get around the player nationality thing.

cheeseman, this is taken from wikipedia:

"Based on the U.S. Department of State regulation on dual citizenship (7 FAM 1162), the Supreme Court of the United States has stated that dual citizenship is a "status long recognized in the law" and that "a person may have and exercise rights of nationality in two countries and be subject to the responsibilities of both. The mere fact he asserts the rights of one citizenship does not without more mean that he renounces the other", (Kawakita v. U.S., 343 U.S. 717) (1952). In Schneider v. Rusk 377 U.S. 163 (1964), the US Supreme Court ruled that a naturalized U.S. citizen has the right to return to his native country and to resume his former citizenship, and also to remain a U.S. citizen even if he never returns to the United States.

The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) neither defines dual citizenship nor takes a position for it or against it. There has been no prohibition against dual citizenship, but some provisions of the INA and earlier U.S. nationality laws were designed to reduce situations in which dual citizenship exists. Although naturalizing citizens are required to undertake an oath renouncing previous allegiances, the oath has never been enforced to require the actual termination of original citizenship.[25]

Although the U.S. Government does not endorse dual citizenship as a matter of policy, it recognizes the existence of dual citizenship and completely tolerates the maintenance of multiple citizenship by U.S. citizens. In the past, claims of other countries on dual-national U.S. citizens sometimes placed them in situations where their obligations to one country were in conflict with the laws of the other. The 2012 case of US-Thai dual national Joe Gordon is a case in point, who entered Thailand using a US passport but was convicted and imprisoned in May 2011 for Lèse majesté in Thailand.[26] However, as fewer countries require military service and most base other obligations, such as the payment of taxes, on residence and not citizenship, these conflicts have become less frequent.[27] As a result, there has been a dramatic increase in recent years in the number of people who maintain U.S. citizenship in other countries.[citation needed]"

box,it is my understanding that while kevin was one of the highest paid players in australia, in europe he has the potential to make a LOT more money and the money he was making in australia was more or less about the same as the average salary in europe. think of this as moving from class AA to class AAA.

the basis behind taking the dual citizenship is because the biggest european leagues only allow a limited number of americans per roster. thus if kevin qualifies as an italian citizen, any team employing him would not have to use kevin against their "american" quota.

Bitchin'. I'm getting me a Polish passport toot sweet.

just reading this now, though i was westied the news last night. HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE. dude looks huge! i can't wait to see him lock down every big guard in the league. i'd like to see what he could have done against wyatt, crawford, and that fuoking sockcucker stanley burrell. perfect pickup.

just reading this now, though i was westied the news last night. HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE. dude looks huge! i can't wait to see him lock down every big guard in the league. i'd like to see what he could have done against wyatt, crawford, and that fuoking sockcucker stanley burrell. perfect pickup.

Wrong thread dipshit

Kevin Lisch is like some kind of Viking raider. He sails into Perth, steals their gold (titles and MVP awards), takes one of their woman for himself, and then leaves town.

coincidently Kevin's grade school team was known as "The Vikings"!

cheeseman, this is taken from wikipedia:

"Based on the U.S. Department of State regulation on dual citizenship (7 FAM 1162), the Supreme Court of the United States has stated that dual citizenship is a "status long recognized in the law" and that "a person may have and exercise rights of nationality in two countries and be subject to the responsibilities of both. The mere fact he asserts the rights of one citizenship does not without more mean that he renounces the other", (Kawakita v. U.S., 343 U.S. 717) (1952). In Schneider v. Rusk 377 U.S. 163 (1964), the US Supreme Court ruled that a naturalized U.S. citizen has the right to return to his native country and to resume his former citizenship, and also to remain a U.S. citizen even if he never returns to the United States.

The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) neither defines dual citizenship nor takes a position for it or against it. There has been no prohibition against dual citizenship, but some provisions of the INA and earlier U.S. nationality laws were designed to reduce situations in which dual citizenship exists. Although naturalizing citizens are required to undertake an oath renouncing previous allegiances, the oath has never been enforced to require the actual termination of original citizenship.[25]

Although the U.S. Government does not endorse dual citizenship as a matter of policy, it recognizes the existence of dual citizenship and completely tolerates the maintenance of multiple citizenship by U.S. citizens. In the past, claims of other countries on dual-national U.S. citizens sometimes placed them in situations where their obligations to one country were in conflict with the laws of the other. The 2012 case of US-Thai dual national Joe Gordon is a case in point, who entered Thailand using a US passport but was convicted and imprisoned in May 2011 for Lèse majesté in Thailand.[26] However, as fewer countries require military service and most base other obligations, such as the payment of taxes, on residence and not citizenship, these conflicts have become less frequent.[27] As a result, there has been a dramatic increase in recent years in the number of people who maintain U.S. citizenship in other countries.[citation needed]"

box,it is my understanding that while kevin was one of the highest paid players in australia, in europe he has the potential to make a LOT more money and the money he was making in australia was more or less about the same as the average salary in europe. think of this as moving from class AA to class AAA.

the basis behind taking the dual citizenship is because the biggest european leagues only allow a limited number of americans per roster. thus if kevin qualifies as an italian citizen, any team employing him would not have to use kevin against their "american" quota.

I never said he had to renounce his US citizenship - what I said was he could just ignore his US current passport and still get an Italian passport. I also know for a fact that friends ours have been faced with this issue and they have been informed not only by their lawyers that the US does not accept dual citizenship in total - in other words you can not be a US citizen and an Italian citizen at the same time - you have to choose one but can switch back later if you choose. Tax is paid where the earnings took place so if you are an Italian citizen, and work and live in the US then you pay US taxes. Since the draft is no longer in play, the entire military issue is a non issue. One thing I would point out is that if you are a citizen of another country, you still pay payroll tax - SS and Medicare - but are not eligible to receive benefits. I also understand why KL would do this. The article you posted does not really change anything I said.

Westy03, on 03 Jun 2013 - 09:48 AM, said:

And that is extremely creepy you know that

my son played on his grade school team. i have known the lisch's since kids were in kindergarten.

cheese, you said he would have to give up his us passport he has not and he is still an american citizen. so your post was wrong.

my son played on his grade school team. i have known the lisch's since kids were in kindergarten.

Roy, thats creepy that your son played basketball in grade school. Geez!

Cheese doesn't have much of a leg to stand on, as far as I can tell regarding citizenship issues. The U.S. Department of the state has this to say:

A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth. U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

The US pretty clearly recognizes dual citizenship.