Majerus intensity

papal

it's amazing how intense Majeus is. even after winning his 500th game he leaves the court and has to be brought back by assistant coaches for the post-game ceremony. He gets so wrapped up in the game that he can barely focus immediately afterwards. I think that is why he hates post-game radio interviews. As poorly as we played Saturday, coach calling time out with a 2point lead at about 11 minutes showed why he has been so successful. He set up the alley-oop to Evans and then we soon upped the lead to about 10 and put the game out of reach. He has without a doubt one of the best coaching minds in all of basketball.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have little doubt RM would be a hard guy to play for if you have thin skin. This team in a way seems to reflect his toughness and discipline. It was good to hear BC say the only reason he chose SLU was to play for RM. Evans said basically the same thing. Am sure he was equally as mad at himself as his team after yesterday's game. At himself, because he didn't take the opponent seriously enough to do his usual film work. Mad at the team maybe because they were just not playing w/ the intensity he demands each and every game no matter who they're playing. Again, another learning experience, ie you can't take any team for granted.... any team. As good as I think they'll be this year, they are still going to find themselves over matched athletically in a lot of games. The biggest things going for them are being well coached, being disciplined, and playing w/ intensity. Some coaches/teams have the luxury of just rolling the ball on the floor and saying, hoop it up, guys. We don't. Not saying we don't have athletes, they all are, but to win they have to be the better and smarter basketball player. I didn't see yesterdays game, so I'm speculating here. But I'd venture to say UIS had some pretty athletic kids. Otherwise, I can't figure out how they kept the game so close.

It was a combination of us not caring and them thinking it was their Super Bowl. They could not have played much better and we could not have played much worse. That equals an UGLY 10 point win. They hit multiple 18 footers rolling off screens too...each one looked like a prayer, but a lot of them went in.

It was a combination of us not caring and them thinking it was their Super Bowl. They could not have played much better and we could not have played much worse. That equals an UGLY 10 point win. They hit multiple 18 footers rolling off screens too...each one looked like a prayer, but a lot of them went in.

Sounds a lot like the LMU game. Timmerman brought up in his review article that we only beat Rockhurst a couple of years back by 13 during finals week. So, again they deserve a little slack. And the last thing you want to be thinking about when you're playing a game is thinking about EOQ points (per BC).

Actually what I saw was a team that did not defend well. Sometimes shots go in because they are not adequately contested. We would play good defense for 25 seconds or so and then someone would lose their man and bang he would hit an open shot. They shot something like 52% and I said to the people with me at the end of the first half that no way they could continue to shoot that well and our 27% or so would not continue either. Well we picked up our shooting % to about 39% but they kept theirs right there all game. Once again we defended poorly. I would not say they had any great athletes but players who showed determination - they even narrowed the rebounding difference in the second half. I also saw very few set plays by SLU offensively - we scored a lot points on KM and JJ driving to the basket - street ball and that is not how we play usually but if your shots are not falling what else can you do. KM stepped up ultimately but his D was weak, BC stepped up but he was missing somewhat in the first half. JJ took the bull by the horn once he realized the rest were taking the day off. CR - he just confounds - his play yesterday was not good and that is the best you could say about. DE - stepped up with his rebounding but honestly his D was nothing to write home about for most of the game. RL was missing and when RM put in JB nothing came of that either. MM was OK but his shot was not falling like everybody else. CE worked hard all game and he should be commended. KC - no shot and brain dead on D. All in all, the team as a whole did not show up to play.

Actually what I saw was a team that did not defend well. Sometimes shots go in because they are not adequately contested. We would play good defense for 25 seconds or so and then someone would lose their man and bang he would hit an open shot. They shot something like 52% and I said to the people with me at the end of the first half that no way they could continue to shoot that well and our 27% or so would not continue either. Well we picked up our shooting % to about 39% but they kept theirs right there all game. Once again we defended poorly. I would not say they had any great athletes but players who showed determination - they even narrowed the rebounding difference in the second half. I also saw very few set plays by SLU offensively - we scored a lot points on KM and JJ driving to the basket - street ball and that is not how we play usually but if your shots are not falling what else can you do. KM stepped up ultimately but his D was weak, BC stepped up but he was missing somewhat in the first half. JJ took the bull by the horn once he realized the rest were taking the day off. CR - he just confounds - his play yesterday was not good and that is the best you could say about. DE - stepped up with his rebounding but honestly his D was nothing to write home about for most of the game. RL was missing and when RM put in JB nothing came of that either. MM was OK but his shot was not falling like everybody else. CE worked hard all game and he should be commended. KC - no shot and brain dead on D. All in all, the team as a whole did not show up to play.

Great post, cheese. Completely agree.

Agreed...and the play seems to be a product of Majerus not preparing the team for this specific game (as per his press conference)...Regardless, we should have won by more than 10 on talent and discipline alone...

UIS had some quickness and their "big" was lean and lanky but could get off the floor and blocked several shots early. Their guards were little but quicker than ours and beat us off the dribble. They shot it great as well. Maybe they played above their heads, maybe they didn't, but they exposed our lack of quickness on the defensive end, and the lack of explosiveness off the floor(DE excepted) of our bigs.

Majerus has taken a lot of heat on this board for not being player-friendly--especially in his first couple seasons--but I thought this was a powerful quote from Brian Conklin:

"I wouldn't have changed it for the world, learning it from him. He's taught me everything I know, both as a person and a basketball player."

http://www.foxsportsmidwest.com/12/10/11/Majerus-emotional-after-500th-win/landing.html?blockID=623978&feedID=3794

Is Roy on another cruise? No posts when we are flying high and Majerus looks like an awesome coach...

You are a ###### idiot. I've been posting all week including 2 other posts earlier today. And to remind you, I have always said majerus knows basketball and will win. I just think he is a dispicable person an a horrible ambassador for saint louis university

You are a ###### idiot.

(It's spelled despicable btw)

Yikes. I agree with 05. How the heck is he such a terrible person. Every single thing he has done has done wonders for the university. He has recruited and molded great young men that represent the University extremely well.

Just listen to Conklin talk about his coach...you know better than him?

He clearly values education and actually can win. How many other coaches can you say that about? Not many. Would you ever see SLU in a X/UC-like brawl with RM as the coach? Not a chance.

He is the best coach for SLU and we need to keep him around as long as we possibly can. I have never gotten in a spat with a poster here, so I will stop. But I do not understand the hate, and will never understand....especially from someone who is an alleged top tier SLU fan...

-Nick

I

(It's spelled despicable btw)

Yikes. I agree with 05. How the heck is he such a terrible person. Every single thing he has done has done wonders for the university. He has recruited and molded great young men that represent the University extremely well.

Just listen to Conklin talk about his coach...you know better than him?

He clearly values education and actually can win. How many other coaches can you say that about? Not many. Would you ever see SLU in a X/UC-like brawl with RM as the coach? Not a chance.

He is the best coach for SLU and we need to keep him around as long as we possibly can. I have never gotten in a spat with a poster here, so I will stop. But I do not understand the hate, and will never understand....especially from someone who is an alleged top tier SLU fan...

-Nick

I

Exactly, Roy have you ever had an encounter with Coach? He is extremely personable and will go out of his way to help someone especially a Billiken fan. Every encounter I've had and firsthand accounts of him since he's been here has been 100% positive.

I know SLUisville had an encounter with Majerus' generosity at the airport.

I respect you and your fan hood roy but seriously, it's time to let it go.

You are a ###### idiot. I've been posting all week including 2 other posts earlier today. And to remind you, I have always said majerus knows basketball and will win. I just think he is a dispicable person an a horrible ambassador for saint louis university

Are personal insults allowed on this board? Maybe a ban is in order for the #1 billiken fan of all time.

Are personal insults allowed on this board? Maybe a ban is in order for the #1 billiken fan of all time.

There is no sense in fighting with Broy about these things. he can't look at things objectively anymore. His hate for our coach has completely ruined his fandom.

i have plenty of second hand accounts that convince me. plus we dont even need to get into his cutting players. let's not forget nick started this, i did not.

as to current player testimonials, i am sure they are going to tell the real story and risk their spots. get serious.

again, i have always said he will win. my objections are with him personally and his horrible actions away from the court.

if you dont want me to continuously bring it up, i suggest you continously not ask me to comment on my dislike of rickma in the future.