Commitment

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was just on Twitter a minute ago, and Scout.com writer Evan Daniels just retweeted a tweet saying that a player named Grandy Glaze has committed to the Billikens. Quick search says he's from Canada and a former UNLV signee. Class of 2011.

6'6" 230. Undersized PF. BIG BOY.

Posted Image

We need a new Conklin and this dude looks to be Conklin already. I'm cool with this. Funny how this ###### comes out of nowhere.

6'6" 230. Undersized PF. BIG BOY.

Posted Image

We need a new Conklin and this dude looks to be Conklin already. I'm cool with this. Funny how this ###### comes out of nowhere.

A lot of big schools were after him. Originally ranked the #14 best power forward in 2011. Think we'll take that.

Was just on Twitter a minute ago, and Scout.com writer Evan Daniels just retweeted a tweet saying that a player named Grandy Glaze has committed to the Billikens. Quick search says he's from Canada and a former UNLV signee. Class of 2011.

ESPN shows us with his verbal. Grades him a 90. What's funny is that South Florida was after him too.

Barry Eberhardt twin? I guess he got the jumping ability.

It's aboot time we landed a solid recruit. (Spring signing period)

I've never seen so many missed lay-ups in a highlight video

from espn:

Strengths:

Glaze is an undersized power forward who plays the game with unrivaled intensity and toughness. He's strong as an ox and absolutely relentless attacking the defense and rebounding the ball. Glaze won't break anyone down with his handle but he still gets to the rim because of the sheer force with which he attacks. He's Barkley-esque driving the ball to the rim as if he's running down hill with defenders bouncing off him. Every shot around the rim is preceded by a shot fake and he follows his own misses relentlessly. Glaze is a terrific rebounder who plays much bigger than he is on the glass and is also a hard working defender.

Weaknesses:

He isn't especially skilled or explosively athletic. While he needs to improve his overall ball skills, especially his shooting mechanics, his biggest value will always be in his hard working and competitive nature. He does not possess ideal height and length for the interior.

Bottom Line:

Glaze does not have explosive athleticism or leaping ability, but he has a very mature game that allows him to excel on the offensive end. He already has the body of a college player and his game is very mature as well

just adding more excitement to the season

Nice get for SLU. I guess Rick was actually working at recruiting this spring.

Does anyone else think it's humorous that folks were up in arms that we didn't land Breunig (rated 87 by ESPN) or Chievous (84), but instead landed Glaze (90) out of the blue? Trust in the big man, folks. He knows what he's doing.

It sounds like this guy is a typical Majerus recruit - plays really hard and is willing to work hard to improve.

This appears to be an outstanding signing. This is the article from when he decided to de-commit from UNLV.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/apr/21/unlv-2011-signee-grandy-glaze-requests-release/

Looks like he was recruited by several good programs. One of the biggest areas this roster seemed to be lacking was a physical presence. Our bigs, with the exception of Conklin, are more finesse types. I wonder if adding another big who seems like he could contribute opens up the possibility of Manning redshirting.

Holy crap, we have something to talk about now!

From the looks of it, looks like Backhand might have to get on HIS workout program.

This appears to be an outstanding signing. This is the article from when he decided to de-commit from UNLV.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/apr/21/unlv-2011-signee-grandy-glaze-requests-release/

Looks like he was recruited by several good programs. One of the biggest areas this roster seemed to be lacking was a physical presence. Our bigs, with the exception of Conklin, are more finesse types. I wonder if adding another big who seems like he could contribute opens up the possibility of Manning redshirting.

Love this earlier article from the Ryan Greene/Las Vegas Sun back in March 2010:

Glaze, a 6-foot-6, 235-pound power forward from Toronto, took part in UNLV's annual elite camp last summer and can recall one play in particular.

During a scrimmage, when an opposing player launched an outside shot, instead of attacking the glass, Glaze raced down the floor the other way in order to set himself up for a potential outlet pass followed by a vicious slam.

Instead, he left his teammate in the post out to dry, as the opposition crashed the glass hard and scored on an easy put-back.

Typically, no matter what any of the players do, getting scolded by a coach at an elite camp is almost never expected.

UNLV assistant Greg Grensing, who works with the Rebels' big men, isn't just any coach, apparently.

"He grilled me about it," Glaze said, recalling it with a chuckle. "I think that's something no player in the country can say they've experienced at an elite camp.

"Right there, I realized that coach Grensing wants the best from me. He'll push me, and that's what I need."

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/mar/16/grandy-glaze-commit-031610/