Bryce Drew

NH

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's going to be damn difficult to not hire JC if we end up in the Sweet 16 or beyond. He'll likely be named named national HC of the year. He's already got the A-10 honor in his back pocket. I mean let's get real here, what school is going to release the HC of the year after the adversity he faced? We'd be castrated by ESPN and every sports journalist in the country. Heck, Booby Knight would probably rip a Billiken flag in half on some national show. If JC wants the job, he's pretty much got it.

RM's hire was a special case. I don't know of a similar one out there. And given the poor state of his health and history of heart problems, we were lucky to have him around for 5 years. I'm ok with JC, because next years team knows him and appear to like and respect him. They will undoubtedly continue to play RM's system, and from what I've seen, JC has given them a little freedom w/in that system. Freedom's that would have driven RM to LA a lot sooner than last August.

JC and May know it's all about recruiting. I don't think any of us really know how JC feels about hitting the road and backroads to find talent. But he's got to have a bird dog or two out there finding most of it. The AC is the important hire this year. And getting a good one may well depend on what conference we'll be playing in in the near future. "I want mom and pop and my girlfriend to see me on TV" is a big deal. It will no longer be, "St. Louis, are they D1?"

I really wish SI or ESPN would do a story on or a study on how many "new saviours" actually last more than 3 or 4 years. Our society today is all about "what have you done for me lately." Heck if RM had taken the USC job back in '04 he probably would have been fired after year 3 if he'd made the same progress he'd made here. I know South Carolina fans who want Martin fired right now, after one year on the job. Look at UCLA since Wooden's departure and they even won a National Championship in '95. My guess would be the next great coach only hits about 30-40% of the time. It's the schools that raise their own AC's and then turn them into HC's that seem to flourish. They successful system pretty much stays in place, the W's keep coming, the tourney appearances keep coming, and recruits keep coming. It's seamless.

Bottom line, I'm content w/ JC largely because we'd create a PR nightmare if we didn't at least offer. And how many good coaches are going to want to come here if we fire the coach of the year? Instead of worrying about who our next HC is going to be, we should be concerned about how JC's going to build his staff. If I was him, I'd insist not only a bump in his salary to around $700k but another $250-$300k for a top AC. Suggestion: Bring back Harriman. It increases RM's footprint on this program that will hopefully keep us going forward into the future.

Brad was fired after taking Wisconsin to the dance and again after winning twenty games here. PR nightmare? Hardly.

Maybe Drew isn't the guy. Somebody better will be available soon......

Easy, bud. The poster never said he would be head coach. Just that he could be an asset to keep on the staff.

Thank you. To clarify, if there is a coaching shuffle, I would hope that the new administration keeps (for the sake of continuity) Danny Brown on as an assistant. Not advocating him becoming our head coach.

Thanks,

Lawrence Frank

Brad was fired after taking Wisconsin to the dance and again after winning twenty games here. PR nightmare? Hardly.Maybe Drew isn't the guy. Somebody better will be available soon......

Winning 20 games and not going to the post season doesn't get you noticed nationally. Winning the A-10 after the passing of your HOF coach will have CBS doing those tear jerker specials if we make the Sweet 16. Plus, everyone knew what a lousy job UB was doing on the recruiting trail.

NH Are you serious? Sorry, but I am totally lost by not only this comment of yours but also by the comments of several posters in recent days. Maybe it's just me but after having RM as our coach, I don't want to go back to the old days of no name coaches and being the little engine that could. Sorry, but I don't want an "up and coming assistant coach" from the Big 10, ACC or whatever with the hope that he will be the next Coach K (b/c every elite coach had to start somewhere...). Also, I don't want a young coach (whether or not he played in the NBA) who has coached at only one school - his alma mater - and with his father at Valpo. Maybe Drew becomes the next Coach K... and yes, Shaka and Stevens are young... but sorry, our Bills deserve a more proven coach. Right now, Drew has been only an assistant coach (thanks to his father) until he got the head coaching job last year. Last year, he made the NIT and will do so again this year unless they win their conference tourney tomorrow.

Wake up guys. SLU is a top 20 team b/c of RM (and now with the steady hand of Crews). If we want to stay in the top 20, if we want to compete for conference title in the new Big East against the likes of GTown, Marquette, Butler and Xavier (whom we still couldn't beat on the road this year - even with our experienced team), we will need better than Bryce Drew, some unknown assistant coach, some retread coach and I'd even suggest, Jim Crews. We need Bob Knight, not a disciple of Bob Knight. We need another RM, not an RM assistant coach whether he is Harriman, Jensen or Moser. Even Spoonhour was a proven commodity who regularly lead his team to the Tourney.

We will see if Fr. Biondi returns to his frugal ways if we spend less than $1.5 million on our head coaching salary. But keep in mind, John Thompson III is now a proven and established coach making $1.8 million, Buzz Williams has been the head coach at Marquette for 5 years battling not only GTown but also Louisville/Pitino, Syracuse/Boeheim, WVa/Huggins, Pitt, etc. while making $1.7 million. Brad Stevens is also a proven coach and can point to his two (2) (back to back) Final Championship appearances-- remember that even RM only had one (1). Hoping for better recruits b/c we will finally get a TV package that you can actually watch on your TV as opposed to your laptop, hoping recruits will keep remembering the fact that SLU made it to the Tourney two (2) years in a row, hoping that Dr. C will outspend all the other college basketball boosters, is just plain crazy.

I agree. We need another legendary coach who's a guaranteed H.O.F., has a soft spot for jesuit institutions, and won't leave because it's too far from his mother.

That should be easy enough to find.

I agree. We need another legendary coach who's a guaranteed H.O.F., has a soft spot for jesuit institutions, and won't leave because it's too far from his mother.

That should be easy enough to find.

Plus he won all those games w/less than teams loaded w/ 4 and 5 star recruits.

Majerus was fluke luck for us. Finally, we got a break. Many questioned his capabilities but now even the smart ass dissidents have come aboard, realize that he truly changed our program, took it up two notches.

The Majerus era peaked last yr and this yr, we still have some nice core talent next yr but the Majerus era ends after that, IMO. Our roster looks thin after next year. And kids that came up under the Majerus system will be all but gone.

But we get another break... IF we get into the new Big East... we can attract a solid, credible coach and recruits based upon the momentum created by Majerus (and now finishing up by Crews) and the new top 3-4-5 league with TV exposure, TV money, several former national championship caliber teams... and a lack of ca-ca teams like are in the A-10.

SO we might be able to get a very strong coach if this happens. Or keep Crews... tough call. It depends upon who we can get.

I agree with Clock, we should be able to do better than Drew, but only if we get into the big time.

At this point I hope Crews gets the job but if he doesn't want it then I wouldn't mind trying one these guys.

A lot will of course depend on which league we end up in

1. Gregg Marshall - The guy can coach and has won at two different schools. If Creighton does join the C7 he might want to move on from a weakened MVC. Of course I think we would also have to be joining the C7 for him to consider leaving Wichita St. for SLU. SLU in the depleted A10 probably isn't enough of a step up.

2. Dave Paulsen - Has won at D3, D2, and now with Bucknell at D1. The guy can obviously coach. This year is his third straight conference title. I watched the Bucknell at Mizzou game earlier this year and even though they lost I was very impressed with the way his team moved the ball and played defense. I can't imagine he would turn down SLU in the new Big East. Not sure if he would jump at SLU in the new A10 or not.

3. Bryce Drew - Young coach that has only two years experience as a head coach. In those two years though his teams are 46-19 (27-7) with two conference championships. He played at and has only coached at Valpo. I'm not sure he would be willing to leave but if he is he might be worth taking a shot on.

Some more risky options.

Mathew Graves - Associate head coach at Butler. He has been with Stevens at Butler the whole time and might be ready for a coaching job of his own. I'm sure he has learned a few things from one the games best young coaches.

Tim Fuller - Associate head coach at Mizzou. Really like his recruiting ability and all of the great coaches he has worked with. His Nike and AAU connections don't hurt either.

Isaac Chew - Chicago native moving up fast in the coaching world. Spent four years as an assistant at Murray St, 1 year as an assistant at Mizzou, was hired away by Illinois and before the end of the summer Marquette hired him from Illinois. Also has AAU connections in KC. They Murray teams he was an assistant at went 91-39, the Mizzou team went 30-5, and this years Marquette team so far is 23-7. As ans assistant the teams he has helped coach are a combined 144-51 .738.

Robert Kirby - Currently an assistant at LSU but before that spend two season at Georgetown. He is the coach that got Otto Porter to G-Town. Also spent time on Rick Stansbury's staff at Miss State.

Jeff Capel - Can recruit and had some success as a head coach at VCU. Wheels fell off for him at Oklahoma but since then he has spend the last two years as an assistant at Duke with Coach K.

I like the "Majerus" system. Its fun to watch, our guys seem to love it, we dont need 5 star recruits, and it works for us.

Crews would allow this system to continue, mold an assistant to take over and continue the "Majerus" system well into the foreseeable future.

If we get a new coach this year, I think we can say goodbye to the RM system. We would be hoping our 5 or 6 seniors will be able to pick the new system up quickly and compete as we have been. Remember, all of these players were picked specifically for RM. Who knows how the new system treats us in the future.

This is what I think. I agree that JC is a good coach. He allows "Majerus" system to continue ( I really think this system is one of the best system in the country, especially for a small sports school like ours). However, JC were not RM, he is not that great like RM. He could succeed with current rosters, who know how to play Majerus basketball, but what about when they are all gone. It is not a bad choice to keep JC, because Majerus system could still run well in 2 or 3 years, but for long term, we really need somebody else (either a proven coach like RM or a potential young guy like Smart or Stevens). My idea is JC has done a good job to keep this team staying sharp, but this job is not hard! He just did what he used to do and keep everything the same way as it used to be when he was with our great coach M. For long term, we have to figure it who will be a best fit for us, in a sense of his system has to work out for a possible non-star lineup, which I think it should be somehow similar to what we are playing, team basketball, defense oriented, screen....

In the end, it is Chris May's job, let's pray! :)

This is what I think. I agree that JC is a good coach. He allows "Majerus" system to continue ( I really think this system is one of the best system in the country, especially for a small sports school like ours). However, JC were not RM, he is not that great like RM. He could succeed with current rosters, who know how to play Majerus basketball, but what about when they are all gone. It is not a bad choice to keep JC, because Majerus system could still run well in 2 or 3 years, but for long term, we really need somebody else (either a proven coach like RM or a potential young guy like Smart or Stevens). My idea is JC has done a good job to keep this team staying sharp, but this job is not hard! He just did what he used to do and keep everything the same way as it used to be when he was with our great coach M. For long term, we have to figure it who will be a best fit for us, in a sense of his system has to work out for a possible non-star lineup, which I think it should be somehow similar to what we are playing, team basketball, defense oriented, screen....

In the end, it is Chris May's job, let's pray! :)

Now wait a minute. We have two (2) different thoughts going on here. The first thought is how difficult is it to coach this current veteran team which RM left for Jim Crews. Believe others have said a good high school coach could have won this year with RM's team. Whether true or not, Crews deserves credit for coaching them, keeping the players together (all except for KC) and getting them to play hard - and as good if not better than last year.

The second thought is how tough is the SLU head coaching job going forward. IMO, it is extremely difficult - especially with Fr. Biondi at the helm. Add to this the limited budget, the lack of real boosters other than Dr. C and few others, the lack of winning tradition and I'd say this is very difficult. There is a reason why quality prior coaches could not sustain higher levels of success and/or gave up exasperated. Keep in mind, the RM system works not b/c no one else has tried it but b/c RM had an eye for talent, RM landed the talent, RM developed the talent and then RM coached the talent during games -- all like few others have ever done!! RM thoroughly enjoyed coaching this talent down to the smallest details. RM demanded/received perfection. Jim Crews may run this program for awhile, may try not to make major changes... but w/o KM and CE next year and without JJ, MM, RL and DE next year, then we will see how "easy" this job really is.

Gregg Marshall is the only guy I can think of that even remotely meets Clock's qualifications (proven winner, not an assistant, not a retread, possibly willing to leave his current job to come to SLU).

No offense but I am glad Chris May does not share your pessimism!!

If our Billikens are no longer our father's Billikens now that RM has been here, has left his mark and has made us relevant in college basketball; and if RM (with the help of Crews) has gotten us into the Top 20, has gotten us to the Tourney 2 years in a row, has left us with 4 quality Seniors for next year with 2 new guys sitting out this year, and if we are now set to join the new Big East, then why must we take a flier on a low level unproven D1 coach? Why are not coaches in the Big XII, SEC, Big 10 and PAC 10 not now in play? Why is Steve Alford (New Mexico) not in play? No one could hire RM for years - but we did!! If Dr. C has the money, let's see it!!

Not that I want Frank Haith or Mike Anderson, but Mizzou didn't take a young and "up and coming" guy with Frank Haith. Arkansas took Mike Anderson (I am not a Mike Anderson fan). Washington took Romar from us - after 3 years when we were still in Conf USA. Let me ask it this way. If John Thompson III steps down at GTown, will G'Town be satisfied hiring Bryce Drew or Tim Fuller. In the past, we took Spoon from the Valley and Romar from Pepperdine.

I could see a BCS school taking a flyer on Bryce Drew.

Shaka Smart was BIlly Donovan's top assistant at Florida. He said over and over again that Smart was going to be great. It wasnt a secret. We could get someone of that caliber today.

Our goal should be to be as good as Xavier has been. The overall program is good enough that if you lose a coach to a bigger school (Gillen, Prosser, Matta) the program is so strong that you can replace them and keep on winning.

In case anyone is wondering here is where each member of the New Big East hired their coach

Butler - Brad Stevens was promoted from an assistant position at Butler

Creighton - Greg McDermott was hired away from Iowa State. He was however close to being fired.

Dayton - Archie Miller was promoted from an assistant position at Arizona

DePaul - Oliver Purnell was hired away from Clemson

Georgetown - John Thompson III was hired away from Princeton

Marquette - Buzz Williams was promoted from an assistant position at Marquette

Providence - Ed Cooley was hired away from Fairfield

St. John's - Steve Lavin was hired from ESPN. Used to coach UCLA before that.

Seton Hall - Kevin Willard was hired away from Iona

Villanova - Jay Wright was hired away from Hofstra

Xavier - Chris Mack was promoted from an assistant position at Xavier

Out of the other likely 11 conference members 4 hired assistant coaches, 4 hired mid/low major coaches, 2 hired BCS head coaches but neither were doing anything really impressive, and 1 hired a fired coach and ESPN commentator.

Even with the new league I wouldn't expect us to start hiring away successful BCS coaches. Best bet still looks like a rising star assistant (Fuller or Graves), our own assistant (Crews) or a successful mid major coach (Marshall or Paulsen).

SLU is not going to draw head coaches away from big state schools in the Big 10, Big 12, SEC, and Pac 12. This is total delusion. We've had 2 good seasons in a row, we have a great arena, we should be in a great new conference, but our program is still nowhere near a school like Georgetown. New Mexico to SLU is a lateral move at best. I'm just being realistic.

John Thompson III was the head coach at Princeton before Georgetown hired him. Billy Donovan was at Marshall before Florida hired him. Bo Ryan was at UW-Milwaukee before Wisconsin hired him. Tom Crean was an assistant at Michigan St before Marquette hired him. And many more examples. There's absolutely nothing small-time about SLU hiring a head coach from Valpo or Bucknell.

3. Bryce Drew - Young coach that has only two years experience as a head coach. In those two years though his teams are 46-19 (27-7) with two conference championships. He played at and has only coached at Valpo. I'm not sure he would be willing to leave but if he is he might be worth taking a shot on.

Not at SLU. The guy made several million in the NBA. Money is not a real factor. Now if you go to the New Big East and have success with Jim Crews then maybe Bryce will talk. He really doesn't want to go anywhere. It's not about fame or fortune. It's about having a place where you can display your Christianity and win and marvel in God's given opportunities and not worry about opportunities not given.

Not at SLU. The guy made several million in the NBA. Money is not a real factor. Now if you go to the New Big East and have success with Jim Crews then maybe Bryce will talk. He really doesn't want to go anywhere. It's not about fame or fortune. It's about having a place where you can display your Christianity and win and marvel in God's given opportunities and not worry about opportunities not given.

You can marvel in God's opportunities at SLU as well. I'm pretty sure Our Lord Jeebus permits us to marvel in opportunities wherever we choose. At Valpo. At SLU. At Hooters. Just sayin'.

I guess Scott took the Christian thing to mean give bags of cash to the poor. But only if the poor have sons who are 6'8" witha 38" vertical leap.

Also Valpo is on ESPN where they've blown what was a 14 point lead. We will see what Bryce can do.

Also I have a personal rule to run far away anytime someone wants to talk about what a good Christian they are.

I guess Scott took the Christian thing to mean give bags of cash to the poor. But only if the poor have sons who are 6'8" witha 38" vertical leap.

Also Valpo is on ESPN where they've blown what was a 14 point lead. We will see what Bryce can do.

Also I have a personal rule to run far away anytime someone wants to talk about what a good Christian they are.

On that note, how does Buggs have double figures?