Monty on Sports

Iggy

Did anyone hear him last night on KTRS. I only heard about 5 minutes of it, but it reminded me of Kevin Horrigan's column on the day SLU played in the NIT finals in which he stated that if we won, we'd be the 65th best team in the country.

He said that he doesn't think we should build an arena. He said that we'll never be able to be a respectable program that is capable of competing. He said that we'll get creamed by North Carolina and then said that if we should happen to win that game that would be worse because then we'd never be able to schedule anybody again. He said basically that SLU basketball is 'insignificant'.

Who is this clown? We should never let him in our building.

Monty is probably the last person who should ever be commenting on Billiken basketball. Up until he was hired by 550 in the spring, he was working part-time at a radio station in Sacramento and was forced to work at Chili's to supplement his income. He knows next to nothing about the Cardinals, much less the Billikens.

And even though it was 16 years ago, Kevin Horrigan can kiss our collective backsides as well.

I basicly ignore this guy. He is all about him, is clearly only supportive of any sports team that his station carries. If the Cards were on KFNS and the Bills on KTRS he would have exactly the opposite position. He has no credibility, and when I hear his voice on the radio, I immediately change stations.

KMOX has a new guy on 6-8p. Has the same type of on air voice. Will have to listen a little while to see how objective he is.

mhg

KTRS has only idiots working at their station. I bet these comments by Monty have been the first and last time SLU will be mentioned on air by that station. Claiborne will be replacing Monty on alot of his shows soon, so Monty may be out of work. Still they have Hadley there, so the staion continues to be unlistenable.

That said SLU got even less love from the "voice of the Billikens" KFNS. On the grind yesterday Tiger Timmy was commenting on how there would be no alcohol at our new arena, and commented to the effect that without alcohol what reason is there to attend a SLU game. I called in and informed the producer of the inaccuracy of his comments but it was never brought up on air. Slaten and Claiborne shared a chuckle over how they won't believe construction of the arena will ever commence and it was their belief SLU will never play a game in the new building.

I don't know where SLU can get any coverage in this town, favorable or unfavorable. Biondi may have to copy Dewitt and buy his own radio station and hire pro SLU talent to get anyone in this city to remark on his teams. The day of the groundbreaking Timmermann writes a huge article on women's soccer at SLU, while arena groundbreaking is left to a 1 paragraph blurb on page 7.

CL ought to go to KFNS and raise a little hell. How these jerks think Biondi would go this far and not come through is totally beyond me...Winning cures all, however, and fills the bandwagon with strange bedfellows. Win Brad...win...this year.

Man, the more I read about the media in SL from you guys, the more I thank the fates that I escaped back there. I just returned from my nephew's wedding in KC yesterday and was very impressed with the Plaza, Westport, UMKC campus, and mostly the small party platter at Gates BBQ. That was worth the trip alone.

You are so right! I must listen to KTRS to listen to the Cardinals and sometimes driving home from a game I forget and have that station still on after the broadcast. It is impossible to believe how inarticulate and just plain uninformed these so called announcers are. Hadley drives me insane. He cannot even puts words together in a sentence and this new guy is actually worse. Al I can imagine is the they must pay extremely low salaries to these guys to just fill air time.

You should see Hadley's "newsletter." It reads like it was written by a third-grader. There are times when I hear him on the radio and find myself asking, "Is he drunk right now?"

Outside of the Miklasz/Karraker show, I find very little to like on local sports talk radio when all we have to choose from is buffoons like Hadley, Slaten, Claibes, Monty, etc.

Interesting you mentioned Horrigan. He came in to speak to one of my classes last fall. He said that that commentary he wrote about SLU was probably the one he received the most negative feedback in all of his time as a newspaper writer.

Overall, he gave those of us in this journalism class some good background on what it is like to write editorials for a newspaper. The one thing that made it a little difficult for me to take him very seriously was that he did the whole talk, which fit into a 75 minute class, with his fly open.

I have criticized Rammer in the past but I have to say he has tempered Slaten on SLU. If Rammer had been at the show yesterday, Slaten would never have said what he said. Slaten is not open to admitting he was wrong about anything - besides he hates Brad - he is still talking about how if the Cards had gotten the Marlins pitcher who signed with Toronto that the Cards would be better off today in the standings. The pitcher has been hurt all year - just got back at the All Star break - and has not pitched better than Marquis and Suppan or even Reyes this year.

I thought KFNS did a fine job yesterday. They werer there, for Christsakes, broadcast the bulk of the ceremony, and had Brad, Shimmy, CK, and even Father Biondi on for interviews. While on, Larry skewered Slaten by stating that he would be happy to officiate at his funeral, being that the queen said he'd be dead before the arena got built. If it wasn't for this station, I wouldn't have even known there was a groundbreaking.

Shock radio, shock television, and shock commentaries are not journalism and are not the media. They are meant to entertain, arouse, irritate, debate .... in other words, raise the viewership or readership or listening crowd in order to charge higher advertising rates thereby making money for the station. Sports are all opinion anyway .. there is no scientific way to extract proof. You could be right. You could be wrong. Everyone has an opinion.

It sounds like KFNS, the flagship of Billiken sports if there ever is one in St. Louis (because we pay them by contract to be, I guess) went way above board in broadcasting and interviewing the Billiken heirarchy on this. That's all you're going to get unless, as someone has already said, we buy a station and man it with pro-Billies. Which, sadly, would be found out and would therefore destroy any credibility those people might have in the media roundplace.

You all have the ability to silence Monty buy yourselves. Turn the radio to another station or shut it off. Simple. Case closed.

box and won said,

"Outside of the Miklasz/Karraker show, I find very little to like on local sports talk radio when all we have to choose from is buffoons like Hadley, Slaten, Claibes, Monty, etc."

i think frank c is without a doubt the hardest working on air personality and the one show that i deem as "not to miss". i would agree that bernie/randy is also a true sports show unless tuna is on. then it isnt worth a dribble.

i admit i listen to slaten just to hear him blow up. kind of like eating a piece of pie after everyone goes to bed. i have been amazed for years that people even call him and fall in the web. no where close to news but entertainment imo.

the rest are truly bad bad bad. the worst imo is the morning grind. hearing tiger tim is spouting the no beer at the new arena is not surprising. as hard working as bernie and frank seem to be, tiger tim seems to pride himself as coming off as a total screwoff that just crawled out of the tavern to get to work. i see no value to that wasted time period one bit.

Band - that comment by Father B should have been taken by all, including Slaten, as a friendly ribbing. I would not have called it a knife job in anyway. Slaten's comment about it not being built yet may have only been his attempt at humor given what he had said. I think he even said to Clairborne when Clairborne asked him if he was surprised and Slaten said - well I said I would be dead before it is built. So, clearly he knew he was wrong and was looking for some funny way out of not having to admit he was wrong.

Taj has got it right...switch channels. The Bills will get their due once they win. I may be wrong here but for the most part St.Louis sports seem to be down, ok I'll give you the Cards, but they're always going to be the town's big news win or lose. If SLU can now start to be a regular winner, ie top 30-40 program, these announcers will come around. X and UC always get a fair shake from WLW because they win. Hell even the broadcasters all loved Huggy even though they knew he was a little shady.

I agree, Cheeseman, I took it in good fun too. It is interesting, however, that Father Biondi has such an excellent memory. As far as Kevin Slaten is concerned, I am entertained by him even if he is a blowhard. He isn't the only one who thought this building would never get built; I was beginning to have doubts myself and I'm an eternal optimist.