2024 SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Search

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Watch all those clips over the years….IF you still think Chris May has the judgement or intelligence to hire a third head coach, much less run a D1 athletic department in 2024, then god bless. Listen to all that nonsense over years and years, he’s not a serious person. I hope Fred watches his clip and realizes major changes need to happen. Letting this guy stay and hire another head mbb coach is about as good idea as putting thousands of $ of veneers on rotten teeth. May look really nice for a little while but underneath it’s all decayed and needs to be pulled. 

43 minutes ago, TRN said:

There are literally over 200 better basketball teams than SLU.  People need to stop making up reasons why we’re bad - NIL, etc - and realize there are many teams with much less resources that would kick our a$$ this year.  It’s on the coach plain and simple, and the school President and AD are accomplices.

We are 226 so 225 of the 362 teams in D1 are better than us. 

35 minutes ago, slu72 said:

The buck stops with Ford plain and simple. 

No it doesn't goes to May and some to Pestello.

I'd be happy if Troy were making commission off all of them in a few months.

slu92 and Bizziken like this

12 hours ago, Lando Griffin said:

Oklahoma is fading, if Porter Moser is let go, SLU should throw the freaking boat at him. 

Dont know if he’s being let go though.

Throwing the freaking boat at anyone is apparently what got us into this mess. I'm still not sure I believe the 10 million buyout is accurate but it would be so SLU to do something like that.

slu92 likes this

39 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

No it doesn't goes to May and some to Pestello.

I'd be happy if Troy were making commission off all of them in a few months.

This is the way.  

The President is 71, time for retirement.  

The AD has been here longer than most AD tenures at schools, time to get a new refreshing leader.  It sounds like he talks about all the people he knows, time for him to go work for one of them.

slu92 likes this

What makes me nervous is that Ford and May haven’t been fired by now….a total SLU thing to do, typically, is getting a few big donors and Fred listening to Ford and May blaming no NIL $ and are given another year and $. Goes back to after last season when Frank was carrying water for May about NIL on the air. Where there is smoke, there is fire. 10000% I’ll bet that is Chris May’s defense right now. Guy is so predictable and takes zero accountability. Never has been held accountable at SLU. Guy can’t raise a dime and thought Frank would help, only made him look even dumber doubling down with tough talk, proclaiming that as long as he’s AD at SLU, Travis Ford will be coaching for a long, long time. You can’t make any of this up. How nobody in power can’t see through this is biggest overall concern in general. 

IF this happens put a fork in this whole program. NIL didn’t exist when Ford was at OK State and when Chris May proclaimed having the “greatest” SLU team ever a few years ago AND when Crews was hired by May. Oh and Majerus didn’t have NIL $ too. This is same line of thinking of IF we have new locker rooms, IF we have a CC, IF we have more charter flights, IF, IF, IF….maybe the $ isn’t the issue, it’s the people you are entrusting it too?

Hope Fred and BoT grows a pair and gets smart real quick. 

13 hours ago, Lando Griffin said:

Oklahoma is fading, if Porter Moser is let go, SLU should throw the freaking boat at him. 

Dont know if he’s being let go though.

I think Moser would be an upgrade over Ford.  However, I would be hesitant to think he would be our savior.  It took him 6 years to get it going at Loyola and the verdict is still out as to if he can be successful in the world of NIL.

1 hour ago, White Pelican said:

Throwing the freaking boat at anyone is apparently what got us into this mess. I'm still not sure I believe the 10 million buyout is accurate but it would be so SLU to do something like that.

Whoever thought giving Travis Ford of all people/coach this contract was a good idea, should be fired or step down from the BoT for gross negligence. Not a Pitino, Calipari, Izzo, Donovan, Stevens, Self, Majerus, Williams, Dean Smith, John Wooden, even Norm Stewart…..Travis Ford. Travis Ford. 

If you think Chris May is going to be here next year you're not paying attention. If you think Ford is going to be here, you're not paying attention. If you think Pestello cares at all about Basketball, you're not paying attention. You don't cost rich people $10+ million and keep your job, probably lucky to still have his knees. Relax, it's over.

NextYearBill likes this

29 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

If you think Chris May is going to be here next year you're not paying attention. If you think Ford is going to be here, you're not paying attention. If you think Pestello cares at all about Basketball, you're not paying attention. You don't cost rich people $10+ million and keep your job, probably lucky to still have his knees. Relax, it's over.

I really really hope so but I've been told many times, "hope is not a method."

May should be gone now. To have a new guy in place at season end to make the hire. He's not gone so I don't know if he will be gone.  What's the deadline date for May to be fired?  1 March?

2 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I really really hope so but I've been told many times, "hope is not a method."

May should be gone now. To have a new guy in place at season end to make the hire. He's not gone so I don't know if he will be gone.  What's the deadline date for May to be fired?  1 March?

This whole thing is playing out similarly to Chaifetz and Biondi going behind Levicks back to fire Soderberg. From my understanding May is having no say in the next coach and it sounds like he really doesn’t have a say in Ford staying or leaving. It might not end in a firing, it might end in a “I have accomplished what I set out to in building the OFCC, it’s time to move on to a new chapter in my life”. I just would very much prefer the keys to Chaifetz not be turned over to Janet. I could see her move on to run one of the local girls soccer clubs or some non-profit like SPENSA. 

8 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

This whole thing is playing out similarly to Chaifetz and Biondi going behind Levicks back to fire Soderberg. From my understanding May is having no say in the next coach and it sounds like he really doesn’t have a say in Ford staying or leaving. It might not end in a firing, it might end in a “I have accomplished what I set out to in building the OFCC, it’s time to move on to a new chapter in my life”. I just would very much prefer the keys to Chaifetz not be turned over to Janet. I could see her move on to run one of the local girls soccer clubs or some non-profit like SPENSA. 

Maybe but the boosters in question need someone with College Sports business savvy to save them from themselves.  Hey I love Crean give him $3mil/yr. Need someone to reign in the bad decisions. But maybe those boosters learned their lesson? 

56 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

If she is May's girl then she may only be given a temporary key as a place holder to be replaced a year later when the new person gets his/her feet wet.

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I don’t think Brad’s termination went down in exactly the way you described.  I, also, think there is a chance May’s replacement is already working in the athletic department and isn’t named Janet.

16 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I don’t think Brad’s termination went down in exactly the way you described.  I, also, think there is a chance May’s replacement is already working in the athletic department and isn’t named Janet.

On a high level, the story has been Levick walked because she was against firing BS but was overruled, right? 

Also very intriguing. 

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Levick extended an offer to Soderberg for an extension which he accepted.  Lecick wrote up and end of season proposal and turned it into Biondi.  This was sent back, an indication that he approved of Soderberg coming back.  Levick turned in the contract for Biondi to sign.  Biondi never scheduled a meeting with Levick or Soderberg to discuss him coming back.  Soderberg was let go, Levick knew he wasn't coming back after her attempts at communication were rebuffed.  She had no idea that someone was being hired for the job without her input, essentially the end of her position.  Hopefully this is playing out similarly with May.  He has no input in the coaching hire or search and will leave quietly.

24 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Levick extended an offer to Soderberg for an extension which he accepted.  Lecick wrote up and end of season proposal and turned it into Biondi.  This was sent back, an indication that he approved of Soderberg coming back.  Levick turned in the contract for Biondi to sign.  Biondi never scheduled a meeting with Levick or Soderberg to discuss him coming back.  Soderberg was let go, Levick knew he wasn't coming back after her attempts at communication were rebuffed.  She had no idea that someone was being hired for the job without her input, essentially the end of her position.  Hopefully this is playing out similarly with May.  He has no input in the coaching hire or search and will leave quietly.

I may be wrong and it won’t be the first time but I would be shocked if May is still not driving this bus. 

10 hours ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

I think Moser would be an upgrade over Ford.  However, I would be hesitant to think he would be our savior.  It took him 6 years to get it going at Loyola and the verdict is still out as to if he can be successful in the world of NIL.

Moser’s teams play insane defense and ran a pick and roll to perfection.

He went out and recruited winners, not necessarily 4/5*

thatskablamo likes this

11 hours ago, White Pelican said:

Ford’s current contract can’t have been his first here…..

4 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

On a high level, the story has been Levick walked because she was against firing BS but was overruled, right? 

Also very intriguing. 

3 hours ago, thetorch said:

I don’t believe that Chaifetz was the main booster involved with Biondi in shanking Brad.