Join A Grassroots Movement for Change of AD and MBB Coach

TheA_Bomb

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

It's gone from "create a singular thread for all your Ford hatred because it's so annoying to read it everywhere" to "stop posting in your singular Ford thread because it's so annoying to read that thread I asked you to create"

I'll give Ford credit. He has a lot of people that are incredibly loyal to him. They're even posting on the board now 

But you have noticed that even Ol' DOC thinks we need a change now. But he doesn't like that we aren't just waiting, that we're complaining, and plan to actively do something about it. He thinks it'll have no impact and wants to make sure we know it. So if it'll have no impact why does it really matter to him? 

After the SIUE loss last season is when some of us started beating this drum in earnest. It was pointed out the direction of the program. Others, were not in agreement and said we were harsh they pointed to injuries and COVID as reasons. We've since exposed the COVID issue was self-inflicted.  Some pointed out the large buyout as a reason it wouldn't happen. I think that was a correct position at the time. Now perhaps the buyout is less and the reasons to fire are more apparent to those with the right size checkbook. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, slufan13 said:

It's gone from "create a singular thread for all your Ford hatred because it's so annoying to read it everywhere" to "stop posting in your singular Ford thread because it's so annoying to read that thread I asked you to create"

I'll give Ford credit. He has a lot of people that are incredibly loyal to him. They're even posting on the board now 

Yeah, even I have to agree.  I thought we had reached an understanding few days ago that we were all on, close to, the same page, just tone it down on un-related threads, and then here DOC goes disrupting our fragile peace agreement.

26 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Yeah, even I have to agree.  I thought we had reached an understanding few days ago that we were all on, close to, the same page, just tone it down on un-related threads, and then here DOC goes disrupting our fragile peace agreement.

My bad! I’ll step aside. I actually wasn’t aware there was a truce. Carry on. 

On 12/15/2023 at 1:31 PM, DOC said:

My bad! I’ll step aside. I actually wasn’t aware there was a truce. Carry on. 

Truce over go ahead and bring your weak message board game. Your posts are the equivalent of the Ford weave. Puzzling as to why it's done and ineffective.

Reviewed all SLU seasons under Ford for 2nd half collapses. Some of these are wins, most are not.  Pulled a sample of games where SLU led in the first half and in the second half the other team made adjustments to outscore SLU, or SLU just fell apart. Hard to find data on 2nd half collapses to see if this is an outlier in NCAA MBB.

SLU2ndHalfCollapses.thumb.jpg.606cc728e49cb8c916c21a75ad993428.jpg

stmdragons and NextYearBill like this

@TheA_Bomb

If you want real anti Ford stats go through the forum history back when Jim Crews needed to be sacked.

You'll find the same low-energy names defending Ford now that defended Jim Crews & Jim Platt back then.

These are Crews defenders. They don't have credibility.

1 hour ago, Soderball said:

@TheA_Bomb

If you want real anti Ford stats go through the forum history back when Jim Crews needed to be sacked.

You'll find the same low-energy names defending Ford now that defended Jim Crews & Jim Platt back then.

These are Crews defenders. They don't have credibility.

If you’re gonna throw this out there at least make it interesting and bring some examples 

On 12/9/2023 at 10:14 AM, OkieBilliken said:

Speaking as a resident of the free state of Florida, it’s nice down here.  It’s getting pretty crowded though.  

Just moved in my new house last week in Sun City, FL. Love the house but can't wait until all the boxes are empty!

27 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Just moved in my new house last week in Sun City, FL. Love the house but can't wait until all the boxes are empty!

Sweet!   I'm sure that's a pretty nice part of the Bay Area.  We are in Jacksonville, which we like alot.     I will be over on your side in a few weeks when SLU Baseball opens the season at the Snowbird Tourney in Port Charlotte,  

33 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

Sweet!   I'm sure that's a pretty nice part of the Bay Area.  We are in Jacksonville, which we like alot.     I will be over on your side in a few weeks when SLU Baseball opens the season at the Snowbird Tourney in Port Charlotte,  

I'm closer to Tampa now. Have a great view from the back to the golf course and even better a lake protects me from golf balls. Best part of it...no more house payments!

OkieBilliken likes this

To quantify second-half issues, I looked at W/L records for all halves this year for first 12 games vs. Div. I opponents (through the NC St. game).

This analysis shows Billikens are fortunate to be at .500 (6-6) overall vs. Div. I opponents, as their record for all halves is sub-.500 (10-13-1). Total point differential is -45.

For first halves, Billikens record is 6-6 with point differential of +9. At home, first-half record 4-2 and +35. Neutral and away, 2-4 and -26.

For second halves, Billikens record is 4-7-1 with point differential of -61. At home, second-half record is 2-3-1 and -14. Neutral and away, 2-4 and -47.

When Billikens score 40 or more in a half, they are 6-0 in those halves (two home first halves, two home second halves, one neutral & away first half, one neutral & away second half). Billikens won 4 out of 6 games where they scored 40+ in either half.

When opponent scores 40 or more in a half, Billikens are 0-9 in those halves (one home first half, three neutral & away first halves, one home second half, four neutral & away second halves). These include two halves where opponent scored 50+ in a half. Billikens won 1 out of 7 games where opponent scored 40+ in either half (or in both halves, which happened twice).

@NYBilliken thanks for that breakdown. Are you using a database to help run these numbers?

It seems to me we have 2nd half collapses but I would like to see if it's happening greater than the average team.

This season coaching aside I would expect to see opponents with bigger aecond halves, as we have had a lot of injuries knocking some players out and reducing minutes of other players. Looking at previous seasons with fewer injuries fewer I juries would probably be a better indication of in game coaching.

2 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

@NYBilliken thanks for that breakdown. Are you using a database to help run these numbers?

It seems to me we have 2nd half collapses but I would like to see if it's happening greater than the average team.

No, just pen and paper, so I can't analyze more broadly. But a couple of additional observations: SLU point differential improved in second half vs. first half 5 times, got worse 7 times. However, when Billikens had the lead after first half, point differential got worse 6 out of 6 times, resulting in a loss of two of those games and tight margins of victory in the others (last nine games: record of 3-6 with the three wins with margins +1, +3, and +1)

Ok thank you. Yeah running all the analysis on pen and paper is time consuming. 

What I do know is overall results are underwhelming and seem to be getting worse even with easier schedules.

2 hours ago, Aquinas said:

This season coaching aside I would expect to see opponents with bigger aecond halves, as we have had a lot of injuries knocking some players out and reducing minutes of other players. Looking at previous seasons with fewer injuries fewer I juries would probably be a better indication of in game coaching.

And the sun was in his eyes

1 hour ago, NYBilliken said:

No, just pen and paper, so I can't analyze more broadly. But a couple of additional observations: SLU point differential improved in second half vs. first half 5 times, got worse 7 times. However, when Billikens had the lead after first half, point differential got worse 6 out of 6 times, resulting in a loss of two of those games and tight margins of victory in the others (last nine games: record of 3-6 with the three wins with margins +1, +3, and +1)

-I'm not entirely sure what to think about this but it is interesting

Just for a little bit more perspective how out of whack Ford's salary is with the reality of college coaches, Steve Alford is making $1.15mil/yr at Nevada.  They did sign him to a 10 year contract because of their experience losing Musselman. Steve Alford has won 11 NCAA tournament games been to the Sweet 16 with SMS, and 3 other times.

https://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporters/nevada-basketball-coach-steve-alford-due-a-major-retention-bonus-today

44 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Just for a little bit more perspective how out of whack Ford's salary is with the reality of college coaches, Steve Alford is making $1.15mil/yr at Nevada.  They did sign him to a 10 year contract because of their experience losing Musselman. Steve Alford has won 11 NCAA tournament games been to the Sweet 16 with SMS, and 3 other times.

https://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporters/nevada-basketball-coach-steve-alford-due-a-major-retention-bonus-today

It might not be a popular take but i would not mind getting Alford.

8 minutes ago, Soderball said:

It might not be a popular take but i would not mind getting Alford.

They have him signed through 2029 so buyout is prohibitive.  I think IU should've gotten him back in 2005.  Maybe things would be different from them now

37 minutes ago, Soderball said:

You'll have a place to stay for the road trip to Dayton.

2023-12-23 15_23_27-Google Hotel Search — Mozilla Firefox.png

It's no Knight's Inn but it is the nicest hotel in Dayton.

-The Wiz has us 3rd from the bottom and in a PIG, remember it is NEXT season with the new tv deal when the PIGs are televised, if we are indeed playing on that Tuesday it would be so daggum appropriate for CFord's last game to not be televised (and likely seen by about 250 people)

-I hope we are not in the PIGs