A10 Preseason Poll.....They have been wrong before!

HoosierPal

2023-24 Atlantic 10 Men’s Basketball Preseason Awards and Poll
PRESEASON POLL
1. Dayton (20) ...................................................... 370
2. VCU (3)............................................................... 321
3. St. Bonaventure (1) ....................................... 319
4. Duquesne ......................................................... 302
5. Saint Joseph’s ................................................. 257
6. Saint Louis ........................................................ 225
7. Fordham (1) ..................................................... 215
8. Loyola Chicago ............................................... 177
9. George Washington ..................................... 173
10. George Mason ................................................ 146
11. Richmond ........................................................ 137
12. Davidson .......................................................... 118
13. Massachusetts ................................................ 93
14. Rhode Island ................................................... 76
15. La Salle .............................................................. 71

PRESEASON ALL-CONFERENCE FIRST TEAM 
DaRon Holmes II Dayton Jr. F
Dae Dae Grant Duquesne Sr. G
James Bishop IV George Washington Sr. G
Daryl Banks III St. Bonaventure R-Sr. G
Erik Reynolds II Saint Joseph’s Jr. G
Gibson Jimerson Saint Louis R-Jr. G

Zink and SLUMedBilliken15 like this

I want to be optimistic, so do we think we can finish in the top 4?  I think those preseason rankings appear reasonable to me.  There are just so many new players here that I just don't know much about.  We can take comfort in Coach Ford having an eye for talent, but it's hard for me to get excited about this year.  I just think SLU is set up to be much more than an also-ran in the A-10.  Hopefully, we can get some new blood to coach this team as I would think it'd be a very attractive job given the resources that have been poured into it.  There's no reason why SLU shouldn't be a title contender every year in the A-10.

SLU-Geo likes this

2 minutes ago, aj_arete said:

I want to be optimistic, so do we think we can finish in the top 4?  I think those preseason rankings appear reasonable to me.  There are just so many new players here that I just don't know much about.  We can take comfort in Coach Ford having an eye for talent, but it's hard for me to get excited about this year.  I just think SLU is set up to be much more than an also-ran in the A-10.  Hopefully, we can get some new blood to coach this team as I would think it'd be a very attractive job given the resources that have been poured into it.  There's no reason why SLU shouldn't be a title contender every year in the A-10.

Yes, the facilities are great, but the first question any HC candidate is going to ask will be how you set for NIL $$$’s?

1 hour ago, aj_arete said:

I would think our capacity for NIL should be greater than our A-10 brethren.

Interesting comment. Why do you think that way?  Wouldn’t a Fordham have a nice list of wealthy donors?  Alan Alda and Denzil Washington are alums. Richmond? Dayton has sold out their arena for the umpty ump consecutive season. There is money there.  Davidson?  Curry by himself could fund a nice NIL program. I’m assuming all A10 schools are basically in the same boat as we are in just getting this effort started. My guess-and it is truly a guess-is that we are lumped in with about half of the league for NIL capacity. 

5 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

We may not have a front court. 

We didn't really before, but now we really don't.

Hargrove/Nokes splitting time at the 5 will mean a pillow fight appearance for SLU.

9 hours ago, aj_arete said:

I would think our capacity for NIL should be greater than our A-10 brethren.

FYI, Rhode Island NIL is at $400,000.  "We have had a solid start generating NIL revenues and are at a very competitive level for A-10 programs."

https://www.golocalprov.com/sports/uri-mens-basketball-hits-400000-for-nil-top-booster-and-former-cvs-ceo-says

10 hours ago, thetorch said:

We didn't really before, but now we really don't.

Hargrove/Nokes splitting time at the 5 will mean a pillow fight appearance for SLU.

I think this is being too pessimistic. 

Atlantic 10 Men’s Basketball Teams who have won 70% or more of its league games in a season, in recent history:

Davidson: 4 times in the past 9 seasons, under two head coaches.

Dayton: 6 times in the past 9 seasons, under two head coaches.

Rhode Island: 4 times in the past 9 seasons, under three head coaches.

Saint Bonaventure: 4 times in the past 8 seasons, under one head coach.

Saint Louis: 0 times in the past 9 seasons under two head coaches. 3 times in 18 seasons under four head coaches. 

VCU: 8 times in the past 11 seasons, under three head coaches.

33 minutes ago, slu72 said:

What about Brussels? Still hurt or is there a waiver issue with him as well? And why does Bruce have an issue. He played in the USA last season? 

There are articles in Chinese media that if correct might present eligibility issues  with Bruce.  

44 minutes ago, slu72 said:

What about Brussels? Still hurt or is there a waiver issue with him as well? And why does Bruce have an issue. He played in the USA last season? 

As reported by Ford, Stef vB is back at practice.  He was out for three weeks following an operation.  He is eligible.  Why wouldn't he be?

The issue with Bruce is that he is now hurt and out for a few weeks, up to a month.  He is also eligible as of now.

Perhaps your question is on NIL eligibility for foreign players?

47 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

As reported by Ford, Stef vB is back at practice.  He was out for three weeks following an operation.  He is eligible.  Why wouldn't he be?

The issue with Bruce is that he is now hurt and out for a few weeks, up to a month.  He is also eligible as of now.

Perhaps your question is on NIL eligibility for foreign players?

Nope....there are legitimate concerns as to whether Ezewiro, Zhang and SVB will be ineligible this season.

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Nope....there are legitimate concerns as to whether Ezewiro, Zhang and SVB will be ineligible this season.

Now that's bad news and just bad roster management. These things need to be vetted. You need a lot of info for a student visa. In that process ask the questions you need answered. These aren't the first international students to play at SLU.  He11 Des Peres Hall is a international student center.   Someone outside the AD needs to look into this mismanagement. 

As to @brianstl mention of Chinese media they can't be trusted.  Fake News. Pangolin tacos are good for you. 

brianstl likes this

5 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Now that's bad news and just bad roster management. These things need to be vetted. You need a lot of info for a student visa. In that process ask the questions you need answered. These aren't the first international students to play at SLU.  He11 Des Peres Hall is a international student center.   Someone outside the AD needs to look into this mismanagement. 

As to @brianstl mention of Chinese media they can't be trusted.  Fake News. Pangolin tacos are good for you. 

I wouldn't file it under roster management or anyone in Des Peres Hall. It's the kind of stuff that would fall under this role...Which just opened up. Curious timing eh?

2 minutes ago, willie said:

What are the concerns about Zhang and SVB? They are unknown to me. 

https://min.news/en/sport/56ea3f5e61b172800236d6dc8c231ac3.html

He poached Zhang Chenzhifeng, a 2.15-meter tall teenager from Tsinghua University. Moreover, he was not in a hurry to promote 19-year-old Zhang Chenzhifeng to the first team, but sent him to the United States for special training shortly after signing the contract, which would cost a lot of money in a year. But reluctant to bear the child can not be trapped in the wolf, for the future of the Liaoning basket is reluctant to invest. Theoretically speaking, after one year of special training in the United States, Zhang Chenzhifeng will be able to take Daehan's class when he returns next summer

The Liaolan paid him to send him to the United States for special training because he saw his shortcomings, so he asked him to make up for his shortcomings through special training.

SVB is not much more than a rumor of him still needing a waiver, but I believe that was mentioned when he was first signed. Ensuring amateur status should always be the first priority of the compliance department, especially with international players.

7 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I wouldn't file it under roster management or anyone in Des Peres Hall. It's the kind of stuff that would fall under this role...Which just opened up. Curious timing eh?

The Head Coach is ultimately responsible for the team. The team needs a front court they fill it with multiple transfers and international players.  You have to follow up on the progress of the actions.   Ford, Harrison et al have recruited international players and transfers before so they're familiar with the requirements.  If my season was reliant on it, I'd d@mn sure follow up.   There's a saying in the Army,  "Expect what you inspect."

So while this person f'd up and deserves to lose their job this was a collective f up.

6 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

The Head Coach is ultimately responsible for the team. The team needs a front court they fill it with multiple transfers and international players.  You have to follow up on the progress of the actions.   Ford, Harrison et al have recruited international players and transfers before so they're familiar with the requirements.  If my season was reliant on it, I'd d@mn sure follow up.   There's a saying in the Army,  "Expect what you inspect."

So while this person f'd up and deserves to lose their job this was a collective f up.

It’s a collective F-up but we’re not talking about an intern or even a regular position. We’re talking about a position that requires a graduate degree. While Ford deserves some blame. If your compliance person says they filed the waiver request or did their due diligence on a players eligibility you don’t really have anything to follow up on. It’s why you probably pay them near six figures to do the job. It’s an F up from the top of the AD on down.

If these eligibility issues are true things have gone from bad to worse. Perhaps it will lead to a house cleaning in the AD and at MBB HC.  1 indicator will be personnel defections to other jobs. Keep an eye out. 

21 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Hmmm, the plot thickens. Maybe the departure wasn’t voluntary. And so, I recant our timeworn adage, “It’s effing hard being a Billiken fan.”