GDT: Richmond; What's a dog's favorite basketball player?

SluSignGuy

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

SLU played good defense in that possession, only to have Nelson bank home a desperation 3 at shot clock expiration at :25.  The musings of the hometown Richmond announcers notwithstanding, I'm confident Nelson did not call bank.

When you’re allowing them free reign to fire em up all game, shooting like 45% on what seemed like 50 attempts, everyone is gonna be jacking them up and shooting much higher than their normal 3p%. It’s contagious.  They literally did one thing all game and we couldn’t/refused to prevent it. 

Last night was one of yuris best games of the year for like the first 35 minutes. If you were being picky you could argue the hero ball wasn't great towards the end of the game but in my opinion that's more on Ford for continuing to allow that to happen. Yuri is always the one who ends up with the ball and is forced to make something happen in most cases. Perkins and jimmerson played great on the offensive side and a gripe is to be had for again them not getting more looks in the second half. Mainly Gibson. 

We managed to lose because our 5s are terrible and Ford refused to play hargrove, who kept Burton very quiet in the first half only to ride the bench for most of the second half.

Okoro and Forrester in my opinion are the reason for most of the struggles on this team. I really would like someone to ask Ford if he has ever considered playing hargrove at the 5. Especially against these weak a$$ A10 bigs. I think hargroves length and athleticism would play fine. And it can't be any worse cause Okoro and Forrester need help in the post everytime any way. 

billikenbill likes this

7 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Last night was one of yuris best games of the year for like the first 35 minutes. If you were being picky you could argue the hero ball wasn't great towards the end of the game but in my opinion that's more on Ford for continuing to allow that to happen. Yuri is always the one who ends up with the ball and is forced to make something happen in most cases. Perkins and jimmerson played great on the offensive side and a gripe is to be had for again them not getting more looks in the second half. Mainly Gibson. 

We managed to lose because our 5s are terrible and Ford refused to play hargrove, who kept Burton very quiet in the first half only to ride the bench for most of the second half.

Okoro and Forrester in my opinion are the reason for most of the struggles on this team. I really would like someone to ask Ford if he has ever considered playing hargrove at the 5. Especially against these weak a$$ A10 bigs. I think hargroves length and athleticism would play fine. And it can't be any worse cause Okoro and Forrester need help in the post everytime any way. 

In our 10 losses, 8 of those happened with Okoro scoring less than 6.

10 minutes ago, wgstl said:

In our 10 losses, 8 of those happened with Okoro scoring less than 6.

I would imagine this means we're getting more inside looks in the games where he has more than 6.

10 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I would imagine this means we're getting more inside looks in the games where he has more than 6.

Its not even the games he scored 6 in, or even games where he is having a bad night, its these games.

Boise(5 point loss) 1-3, 3 points

SIUe(2 point loss) 0-0, 0 points

VCU(8 point loss) 2-2, 4 points

UD(14 point loss) 0-1, 0 points

UR(3 point loss) 0-2, 0 points

I can live with these games

Iona - 1-3, points

Auburn 1-5, 4 points

Maryland 3-6, 6 points

We were expecting Okoro to be a force this year, based on a very good junior season. 

Unfortunately, he’s regressed.

The positive is that there will be tons of players in the portal that can replace Okoro and Forrester, and even be an upgrade to them.

48 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

I said this earlier but while Hargrove is somewhat challenged offensively he did a good job on Burton in the first half. Played very little when they are raining 3's. He has played TJ at the 5 briefly. Think he got away with it but that would not be a longer term answer. I would like to see our stats when playing zone. Seems like it has somewhat worked. 

1 minute ago, johnbj14 said:

IIRC, Gibson, not TJ, was the primary defender on Burton in the first half. Last night didn’t seem like a great matchup for him. 

Don't think matchup had anything to do with it. Whoever he guarded scored very little or at all in the half. Pickett came in and scored a few points so he stayed.  In spite of what he may say Ford is an offensive coach. If you make a few shots you play.   

58 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Seems tome Hargrove is yanked into the doghouse almost every game.  Anyone care to disagree?  Given four years of this, if you were he,  why would you stay?

TJ has a terrible handle and is prone to some bad turnovers. He brings great athleticism and I believe is the best defender now that Fred is out. I don’t think anyone keeps a NBA plus minus but if they did I think his would be good. I hope he comes back but to answer your question I would take a hike if I had a better opportunity. 

23 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i was most disappointed we didnt see the ball in perkins or jimerson's hands much in the last 6 minutes.   it was time for walk the ball down, dribble in circles and yuri try to drive if not throw to anyone not named gibson or javonte and pray for a miracle shot.  box score says yuri had a great game.   i say he lost the game for us.  sadly at about the 14 minute mark i was thinking this is yuri's best game.   he is playing point guard only, he is keeping the pace up, and we got a decent lead.   gradually it all went to hell and while yes, give richmond credit for capitalizing on our lazy defense, but collins then got more and more selfish every time down the floor.  you could just see it coming.

It's on Ford . He lets it keep happening.I saw  2 top 20 teams bench their point guards for bad play the past week.. UCLA put Tyger Campbell down and Providence sat Bynum ...both teams came back late without them and won .    

9 hours ago, johnbj14 said:

IIRC, Gibson, not TJ, was the primary defender on Burton in the first half. Last night didn’t seem like a great matchup for him. Combine that with Perkins and Gibson playing well, it makes sense why his minutes were low. 

That’s what I remember as well.

I actually commented on it during the game in this thread because I was surprised to see it.

16 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

yeah i am sure you yuri idolizers got it figured out.   however some of the unsuccessful trips arent about him shooting.   could be he hits the wall then instead of finding jimerson or a hot perkins he has to try to dump it off to okoro or pickett for a miss.   or maybe it becomes a turnover.   

but if you want to make it about pure shooting percentages i got it and apologize for not conforming to the black and white stats.   i perfer to look at the productive trip down the floor.   prior to the last half of the second half we saw a different yuri.   one that was leading the break, playing exclusively point guard.   getting the ball to hot jimerson and hot perkins.  then all at once they were both forgotten. 

personally I think yuri is a very very good point guard.   probably the second best in billiken history.   but when he decides he is done playing point guard for the night i cringe.   it's happened too often this year imo.    

In the last five minutes:

Okoro and Pickett combined: 0/1

Yuri turnovers: 0

Pickett shot a wide open three early in the shot clock but yuri ran into a wall and had to get rid of it!!!!

in the last five minutes:

Jimerson and Perkins combined: 5 shots

collins shots: 3

in the last five minutes:

Assists: 2

Turnovers: 0

I’ve never been called a yuri idolizer. I’ve been super critical in the past. He’s lost us a couple games. But last night he was really good for 35 min and fine for the last five. Like I said before, anyone pretending his O down the stretch was the reason we lost already had their mind made up when it came to a narrative regardless of the actually events of the game. I’m really convinced you’re not watching what is happening in these games. In the “last half of the second half”, we scored 21 points - the same as we scored in the first ten mins of both halves. But you said we got worse? We gave up 50+ points in the second half and you’re blaming Yuri. This is crazy.