O.T. - RIP Tim McCarver

juniorbill76

#15 Tim McCarver, the Catcher of my youth, Catcher for 2 Cardinal World Champions in ‘64 and ‘67, a good LH hitter, played in parts of 4 decades I can see McCarver throwing off his mask, running out to congratulate Bob Gibson at Fenway Park when El Birdos won it all in '67.

“This is the Big Leagues, Man!”  

RIP

I loved those Cardinal teams of the 60s. Saw games in the first Busch Stadium vs. the Reds with Frank Robinson and the Giants with Willie Mays and McCovey. RIP Mr. McCarver.

1 minute ago, billikenbill said:

I loved those Cardinal teams of the 60s. Saw games in the first Busch Stadium vs. the Reds with Frank Robinson and the Giants with Willie Mays and McCovey. RIP Mr. McCarver.

If I could go back and see anyone it'd be Bob Gipson.......I was born in '69 and suffered through the long dark of the 70's until Whitey came to save us........

Gibby pitched one of those games I referred to. His dominance in '68 was so amazing. We would rush to the paper to see the box scores when we knew he had pitched the night before. The streak of shutouts was incredible. We also noted the length of time of the games he pitched and he often had complete games over in less than 2 hours. To this day, I can't believe the Cards lost the series to Detroit in '68. He set the strikeout record in the first game while Brock was setting a base-stealing record of some sort. I was absolutely positive the Redbirds were winning that 7th game but Mr. Lolich said not so fast.

BC1764 and billiken_roy like this