OT: R.I.P. Billy Packer

never a fan.   imo thought (or at least projected) he was always the smartest man in the world.   and if you look up arrogance in the dictionary, his picture is there. 

JMM28 and Billiken Rich like this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

never a fan.   imo thought (or at least projected) he was always the smartest man in the world.   and if you look up arrogance in the dictionary, his picture is there. 

Heckuva player in college. Teamed with first-team All-American Len Chappell to lead Wake to its only Final Four appearance in ‘62. That team was the last team to beat UCLA in the Final Four (consolation game, which had a lot riding on it that particular year) before NC State in ‘74. Packer was also ahead of his time in trying to desegregate Southern basketball as he did all he could as a Wake assistant to help black players meet the ACC’s stringent test score requirements in place at the time.

At Wake, in his freshman year, he started attending HBCU Winston-Salem State home games when time permitted and realized that the players there were better than Wake’s. Bighouse Gaines was trying to figure out what a white guy was doing at a WSSU game and had a great deal of respect for him for setting race aside and trying to bring black players to Wake. It took awhile but by 1966, Wake had its first black player.

Granted, he was a pain in the butt as an announcer but all props to Billy Packer for being a promoter of the college game.

21 minutes ago, DOC said:

I remember Billy Packer as a promoter of the ACC and himself. 

My recollection as well. He had a meltdown about mid majors in the tournament in 2006. Then Bradley, Wichita State, and George Mason all made the Sweet 16. bum.

brianstl likes this

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

Packer had his faults, but he was the best college basketball tv analyst I ever listened to.

And a way better person than most people know.

42 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Packer hated Duke.

You have to remember that folks in Carolina consider Duke a Yankee school. Everyone on Tobacco Road hates Duke.

I have a close friend that graduated with Packer at Wake in 62. He knew him and said he was nice guy. Keynote speaker at Wake's Class of 62 50th class reunion. My friend said he very entertaining and funny speaker.

Also, he played on Wake's 62 Final 4 NCAA team.

brianstl likes this

1 minute ago, willie said:

Wouldn’t get my vote

Nor mine.

1 hour ago, almaman said:

The article mentions Packer’s book: “Confessions of a College Basketball Analyst.” I’ve read it and it’s excellent. Lost it long ago but already ordered a replacement.

2 hours ago, David King said:

Numerous polls have definitively shown that Dick Vitale is considered the greatest college basketball tv analyst of all time.

Ewwwww the most famous maybe but even in his prime he was nothing more than a gimmicky sideshow.  Shaq tells the story how he was so honored to meet Vitale at McD AA game. Vitale barely knew who the #1 recruit in the country was. Told Shaq that he was the kid that played against small schools, told him the competition would be too tough. Shaq blocked the first shot of the game took the ball the length of the court taking off from just inside the Free throw dunking on two guys and stared down Vitale.

BC1764 likes this