The Bills over LaS by 10

The Wiz

4 hours ago, Compton said:

The Ivy League may have been the last hold out. They started having a conference tourney in 2017.

The Ivy's just did not care that much about sports or sports generating money until the crash of 2008-09 when their endowments went (except for Yale) seriously south.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Wiz, Does your model actually give a ranking for the teams, i.e. SLU, like the NET or Pomeroy?  If so, I am curious where SLU is ranked in your model.

SLU's latest rankings are:  NET 53, Pomeroy 50, Sagarin 44, ESPN BPI 38, Haslametrics 47, RPI 51, Massey (as of Sunday, 2/6/22) 44.  The average of the 7 is 46.7 ~ 47.  The most important is the NET.

A NET of 53 yields the 4th team of the First 4 OUT, a #1 Seed in the NIT.

As another poster noted, an issue this year is the Mountain West and WCC each potentially producing 4 NCAA teams.  Just by memory and without researching it, I don't recall the WCC ever getting more than 2.  BYU has entered the danger zone, with its NET dropping to 46, which would be in the Last 4 IN.  I also question whether Utah State of the Mountain West at NET 41, but with 9 losses at 14-9 is an NCAA team.  But San Diego State is lurking at 54, and even Fresno State is 56.

Are Power 5's 43 Virginia Tech (14-10) and 48 Oklahoma, which is falling at 13-10, really NCAA teams?  But there's less chance for the NCAA Committee to exclude a Power 5 with a qualifying NET.  The other issue is the Ohio Valley Conference (OVC) potentially having 2 NCAA teams, 29 Murray State and 45 Belmont, which would also be in the Last 4 IN category.  If SLU had held onto those 3 double digit leads ...  Michigan would be the 3rd team out at 52, and the Big Ten often gets its way and its teams IN.

SLU is definitely trending in the right direction.  Keep winning.  Winning takes care of the issue.

I've seen Davidson play and lose in person, at the Chase Center vs. USF (CA).  I believe SLU is better than Davidson.  I also believe SLU is the best team in the A10, with Dayton a close second.  But that Davidson game is on the road on Davidson's home court.  I am confident the good Billikens would beat Davidson in an A10 Tourney game on a neutral floor.  

Davidson has a soft remaining A10 schedule.  Assuming Davidson wins the A10 regular season (here's hoping it doesn't), then I can see the A10 getting 2 NCAA teams because I do not think Davidson will win the A10 Tournament.

Yes , my model does have rankings but I think the percentages are more meaningful.  As an example we are currently at #41 in my model.  Interestingly enough, we are tied with Boise St.   BUT, we are at a 62% Chance to Dance , Boise is at 58%...these figures are before tonight's LaS  game. The point is that my percentages take into account more than just rankings....and so does the NCAA.  Once the season is over , if you don't have an auto bid and you are above #40 on the NET ranking then you go into the Twilight Zone of the selection committee. How would you like to have a small edge over Duke for one of the final spots. What do you think would happen in that selection committee room?

I would like to see The Bills get there probability chances above 1 standard deviation....68%...I think that is a number that you can breath a little easier.   Above a 2/3 chance is not only a decent shot but removes you from the clutches of the Committee.

The Bills have climbed another rung on the Bid ladder with a solid win tonight. The extra points over spread will help the Net Efficiency which is a good thing if you want to improve the NET.

Let's see what happened in tonight's game. Bolded statements from the original post in this thread.

hold our TOs to  11...we have been averaging an excellent 10/gm recently..... We had 8 TO...Jackpot

The Bills need to force them into an extra 3 TOs. ..This was hard to do because they had a very good 11...but we did it.

need to have an extra 3+Rebs...Another jackpot...43-31.....extra 12

Another poor shooting FT team ...Yes they were...56%

Clark is their FT shooter...keep his FTA down....Yes we did...How about ZERO FTA

Brickus is their 3P guy...hold him to two 3PM.... 1-4 good job

47/37/78...This was a little off ( we will write this off to the oblong ball that LaS uses) ....if we make 1 more 3PM and 1 more FT...we wind up at 47/36/77..right on target ...so we were close ...here is why it didn't matter...great defense...opponent slash...36/29/56

Hold the top 3 scorers to 27 pts...This was a miss 47pts...but again it didn't matter...2 guys Nickelberry  and Moore had great nights. They scored 40Pts...over 70% of the LaS total.  But BB is not a 2 man game.... 57 pts for LaS= great Bills D...A note for the next week's LaS game is contain Moore and Nickelberry.

Moore will be defending the basket ...only 1 blk for him....This was another miss...note for next week...go around this guy.

Bottom line...All in all  a very good game. This could have been a trap...Coming off a big win and a short turn around while playing away...yet the Bills rose to the occasion...sign of a good team....The Will to Win...as long as we hold onto that feeling , we will go far.

14 hours ago, Crewsorlose said:

That's the only A-10 game of the year on a national network in a nice slot. There's a window between football and baseball where college hoops gets a lot of eyeballs. 

I personally think the NCAA tourney and the conference tourneys should lower their ticket prices. Sorry, it's not the NBA. I don't need to pay $80 to watch a 1st round NCAA tourney game on a Thursday afternoon. Drastically reduce and get the stands full. Atmosphere at anything but the Final Four now sucks because of the greed. 

The cheapest floor seats for Tool's concert in St. Louis is $317, and there are no seats under $100. $80 is a great deal if my team is playing.

1 hour ago, David King said:

The cheapest floor seats for Tool's concert in St. Louis is $317, and there are no seats under $100. $80 is a great deal if my team is playing.

None of this stuff is a great deal.  Entertainment that used to be an hour's salary now costs 4 hours.  In a decade it will be a whole day's salary.  And MBMs everywhere will wonder why postseason tournaments are so sparsely attended.

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, David King said:

Just FYI… I know it’s not the floor, but being in a suite for $100 isn’t bad. Give my regards to Maynard. 

0473803E-0C4A-4696-8F2B-C09FF268DA19.jpeg

44 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

None of this stuff is a great deal.  Entertainment that used to be an hour's salary now costs 4 hours.  In a decade it will be a whole day's salary.  And MBMs everywhere will wonder why postseason tournaments are so sparsely attended.

Paying $100 to stand in a partitioned Edward Jones dome, and watch 3 out of 4 games you do not care about? I’ve done it and will pass. Even if it is packed, it feels inauthentic. The tournament is so much more fun from a couch, or a barstool. Maybe the NCAA should do the NBA bubble approach. Take fans out of it and online.

I had the opportunity to get tickets to the Pittsburgh pod this year.  With fees, the cost was nearly $600 on the secondary market.  Plus gas, tolls, hotel, food, etc.  For eight teams and six game I may care absolutely nothing about.  Now I passed.  But if one of those teams turns out to be us, I'll be there biting a bigger bullet.