New Posters

There have been some new registrations. The offseason was one of our slowest in terms of discussion and such, and I expect things to perk up some. But the Cardinals in the World Series has all StL eyes on that for the next week and a half, which usually is when the Message Board really gets rolling again. So it will be interesting to see how things pan out. But when November rolls around, I expect things to be the same as they have in been in years past.

Steve

Some how players that play hard but just don't have the 'God given talents' don't bother me as underachievers do. One that has the talent but for some reason, (laziness, bad attitude, not taking school work seriously, etc..) is blowing it. Matt Baniak always struck me as the classic underachiever and I could never put my finger on why. Anyway, I think JJ has that award so far.

I mention this because I kind of identify with these guys like Denier/Varner when I played bball in HS.

OK - I attended my first practice Friday, and some of my observations are contrary to others recently made:

Dan Brown - during the scrimmage, he put up a wide open 3 - all air. On Friday, it seemed he liked to drive into trouble. Nice athlete, big wingspan...but few minutes this year.

DC - relaxed, ready to shoot his shot, can play some point, many minutes.

AD - did not actively practice, but helped as a passer in some drills, and did some shooting. His shot looks more natural - sometimes last season, it looked like he was aiming...with poor results.

Polk - did not display much penetration in the scrimmage. He once drove to the key and launched a jump shot, and Darren Payton, or Payton Darren, the white walk-on about his size, stuffed him. Payton, who doesn't even have a number yet, looked awfully good for a walk-on -he plays the point and has good range on his 3 point shot.

TF was injured, or sick, but dressed out.

VN - much more than QD, in my opinion.

IO - ready for prime time.

JJ - no minutes left for him.

Reggie - no problems there.

Ian - didn't show much, but the scrimmage was short.

Kid from Borgia (it's getting late) - can't see him wasting away on the bench.

BH - much bigger, agile, should be ready for big minutes next year when TF leaves, and give some good defensive minutes this year.

All in all, I didn't see much chemistry, but the first several days are mostly all drills.

I hope to get down again this week.

DB sounds like Randy Pulley....please tell US that's not the case. As for DP, I don't think he'll start unless AD is injured and DC can't play PG. But most of what of out of towners have heard is nothing but good about him. Also, I'm still impressed by that 21 point 3Q he had in that tournament game. That would be impressive against St.Mary's All Girls school.

It is dangerous to watch one pre-season practice session and draw hard conclusions......positives or negatives.

I believe the SLU coaches are pleased with DB's showing thus far, air-ball or no air ball. His defensive play will get him on the court, any offensive contribution is just a plus. For isolated slu72's benefit, DB is a better all around player than Pulley. Plus, DB is a legitimate college student. As of this date, I believe DP starts at the point, regardless of AD's health. DC is a different, much improved player.

Patience.

I know Randy Pulley and Danny Brown is no RP. In one practice I saw DB make more 3 pt. shots than Pulley did in a year. Also, there is no comparison to be made between the two with regard to physical build. RP was rather short and stockily built while DB is about 6'4" and lean, yet strong.

Hey, I haven't seen Brown, so I'm not judging. Unca's reported one of RP's similar traits. In my opinion, the few times I saw RP play he thought he was still at Word of God Academy playing against Holy Roller High of Tobacco Road, NC, i.e. he could take it inside against anybody. I wasn't concerned about the airball, I was concerned about taking it inside and getting trapped underneath the basket like RP did. Interesting, I read a report on Mizzery's situation at PG this year and the writer said RP was "clueless and lost" as a PG. I know DB is not a PG candidate, but would still hate to see to him try and force his way underneath as RP did so many times. As for DP, until I see differently, I'm thinking we got ourselves a Tim Smith in the making.

I'm a glass half full guy. I went to my first practice anxious to see Brown, expecting a lot because of previous posts. What I saw was what I reported; an air-ball with no pressure, and propensity to dribble into the defense. I went back Monday to see more, but he was a no-show; Brad kicked him off the team based on my report...or he might have had a late class. Thanks to Billikenguest for that last joke. Unlike certain others, my mind is always open to new evidence; I'll be seeing several more practices. What I took away from Monday was what a tough kid Luke Meyer is, and what a good stroke he has. I also saw Newbourne's stroke for the first time, in the scrimmage - it's pretty. Ian has a nice, quick, high arching shot; he hit one from the left side of the ft line in the scrimmage, and he got it off quick. Bryce looks like he's barely alive; he looks like Frericks did last year with his neck off kilter, and in deep pain. He's more into screens than posting up strong and asking for the ball. It's almost comical, because he has to lean over so far to get his forearm into the back of a defending guard - I can't imaging Brad wants that type of activity from him. He has a nice stroke in the shooting drills, but during the scrimmage, he lanched a baseline shot from 15 that looked almost like a line drive, and didn't make it as far as the basket. Still, I think the sky's the limit with him. In general, things are still disjointed and ugly. But I'm optimistic about Brad's ability to teach.