2020 A10 Games and Comments

5 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

I like how we match up with URI. Don’t get me wrong, we’ll need to play one of our best games of the year to win, but I like the individual matchups. 

I actually do as well. There aren’t any major mismatches either way. They are a more experienced version of us with less obvious flaws.

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, glazedandconfused said:

I actually do as well. There aren’t any major mismatches either way. They are a more experienced version of us with less obvious flaws.

Not a major mismatch but Russell is a potential major headache. Job #1 will be keeping him out of the paint, if we don''t do that it's going to be a long day. 

Today's lines:  the Bonnies (-6.5) hosting Mason; Dayton (-24) hosting Fordham;  Richmond (-11) hosting Geedubya; SLU (-7.5) at the Joeys and Davidson (-11) hosting Umass.

Last night's VCU/Rhodey game got interesting late.  VCU went on a 20 to 3 run to cut down on what was a Rhode Island 29 point lead early in the second half.  VCU remains extremely streaky and was on a bad run the entire first half.  But just like us against Dayton or Fordham or La Salle, no lead seems safe in college ball anymore.  VCU might have got it down to 8 or 9 but could not close.  Hyland is going to have a good career before its all said and done but Marcus Evans is no first team A10er this year.  

Tyrese Martin stepped up for Rhodey and became the fourth wheel on the car with Russell, Dowtin and Langevine.  Together they scored 76 of Rhodey's 87 points.  The Rhodey bench contributed four points in 41 minutes of play.  Only Jacob Toppin's six rebounds were of any help.  VCU's comeback was keyed by shuttign down Jeff Dowtin, who had 15 at half but finished with 17 total.  Russell took over late and it didn't hurt for him to make 16 of 18 free throws.  VCU committed 28 fouls and Russell was the primary ballhandler down the stretch.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Today's lines:  the Bonnies (-6.5) hosting Mason; Dayton (-24) hosting Fordham;  Richmond (-11) hosting Geedubya; SLU (-7.5) at the Joeys and Davidson (-11) hosting Umass.

Last night's VCU/Rhodey game got interesting late.  VCU went on a 20 to 3 run to cut down on what was a Rhode Island 29 point lead early in the second half.  VCU remains extremely streaky and was on a bad run the entire first half.  But just like us against Dayton or Fordham or La Salle, no lead seems safe in college ball anymore.  VCU might have got it down to 8 or 9 but could not close.  Hyland is going to have a good career before its all said and done but Marcus Evans is no first team A10er this year.  

Tyrese Martin stepped up for Rhodey and became the fourth wheel on the car with Russell, Dowtin and Langevine.  Together they scored 76 of Rhodey's 87 points.  The Rhodey bench contributed four points in 41 minutes of play.  Only Jacob Toppin's six rebounds were of any help.  VCU's comeback was keyed by shuttign down Jeff Dowtin, who had 15 at half but finished with 17 total.  Russell took over late and it didn't hurt for him to make 16 of 18 free throws.  VCU committed 28 fouls and Russell was the primary ballhandler down the stretch.

You're right on Evans. What happened to him?

A-10 First Team, as of today: Toppin, Crutcher (48% on 3s, three made/game), Russell (42% from 3, 86%ft, he gets 60% of his points from those two sources, take note Billikens), Goodwin, and maybe Gudmundson (Goodwin, Toppin, and Weathers the only other three top 10 in rebounding and points; 4 OT games help...)

Is it Freshman or newcomers?  I do not remember, but thought it may be the latter (which would make Perkins a lock for that if he isn’t on one of the first three All Conference teams).  I am not sure if people will show on both lists. 

I guess I’m just saying I can’t understand how Perkins isn’t on the All-Rookie team if being a Freshman isn’t required. This is his Rookie year of D1 basketball. 

All those guys listed on the All-Rookie team are freshmen .....Battle, Mitchell, Collins, Hyland and Austin. Coincidence?  I don't know for sure. 

I think it has to be freshmen otherwise you have Grad Transfers (Steele at Duquesne), JUCO transfers (Perkins at SLU), and D1 transfers (Daly at St.Joe's, Watson and Chatman at Dayton, Planutis at Bonaventure)  who could jumble up that mix.

On 2/4/2020 at 10:56 AM, HoosierPal said:

Interesting observation on the three team list, all but two, Toppin and John Axel, might/could return next season. Of course some will GT out, one or two besides Toppin go make some money, but the future is bright for the A10. 

The A-10 has arisen from the ashes.  From 2 bids last year to a possible 4 this year if someone outside the top 3 wins the tournament.  Could send another 3 to the NIT.  And next year the league is setting up to be just as strong as this year.