TJ Hargrove

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, willie said:

Can’t give you names but there have been NBA players who shot jump shots at the free throw line. 

Hal Greer was one. 

On 12/18/2019 at 10:58 AM, billiken_roy said:

hargrove and goodwin are two completely different players imo.    goodwin excels on effort and relentlessness where hargrove is more about that pure athleticism imo.   goodwin is one of the hardest working basketball players i have ever witnessed.   end to end never stop.   AND a good athlete.  i told you all when we first signed goodwin, he is the best rebounder i have ever seen.   i mean best period.   throw in rodman, paul silas, anyone.   time and time again this season we have seen him out defending on the 3 point circle, the shot goes up and who gets the rebound?   goodwin.   that is relentless.  that is effort.  

hargrove is an athlete that in the metro east area i have only seen one like him.   darius miles.   but he is/was totally untrained.   too often you saw him take time off but then a second later he was breaking down the court for an unbelieveable dunk.   we saw it last night.   my biggest memory of last night for hargrove was a monent that pretty much defines his career.   on defense, his man beats him right, but with hargrove's incredible leaping ability is still able to block his man's shot from behind.   he has been able to overcome his mistakes by his talent.  

in high school and vs the likes of a D2 Maryville.   that's possible.   it remains to be seen how that will play out vs dayton or vcu.  

the day hargrove figures out basketball will be a glorious day for billiken basketball.   one would think being around two of the hardest working billikens ever in french and goodwin, it will eventually rub off on him.   and when that day comes (and hopefully sooner than later) we will be smiling big time.

Yes.   Excellent post.   There is a reason why certain long-time posters are so respected and appreciated.   Thanks again Roy.

A few more comments about Hargrove:

1.   Excellent game by TJ.    So what who the opponent was.   The point is, our team played Maryville, TJ played well, our team was defensively weak without French (and Thatch) and we may have lost that game without him. 

2.   Does this mean that Hargrove will now score 27 ppg against the rest of our schedule? Hargrove our new starter? Of course,  not.   Will Hargrove and others have tougher matchups against other teams?  Of course.  Can we not just enjoy the moment? The performance? The win?

3.  Yet another game where another Billiken stepped up and lead our team to a W.   I don't recall a team whereby we have had so many different guys do this.   We have now seen games won by Goodwin, French, Jacobs, Jimerson, Perkins and Hargrove with some really good play by Yuri and Bell.  Hope I am not leaving someone out.

4.   The Maryville game was NOT the start of Hargrove's commitment to play the way Coach Ford wants him to.   By all accounts, Hargrove has been working his ass off all year - and these past 10 days in practice apparently he made a real impression on Coach Ford.  We want the Goodwin work ethic to rub off on certain others, right?  Looks like it already has with TJ - or should I say that TJ already came to the team with such determination.

5.  Yes.  Coach Ford knows best.   Coach Ford knew/knows what guys can do and not do.   Coach Ford is doing what is best for both the team and the players.   I trust Ford like I did Majerus.

6.   As others have correctly said, nearly all of our players and former players have started off with defense which we consider to be: Ole   From Mike McCall to Gibson Jimerson to Perkins, etc.   Quite probably, Hargrove may have started the furthest behind of these players, but just like the others have improved (and still more improvement is necessary) he sure looks alot better now than he did earlier.   And sometimes, game experience is necessary to further one's development as practice can only do so much.   A few hard lessons, whether a D1 or D2 opponent, from a game will cause a light bulb to go off in one's head and for guys to go back to working harder and smarter in practice.  Let's hope.

7.  And no, we cannot keep having guys be only good at certain areas.   In the short term, we don't always have a choice.   Long term, though, we just don't have the luxury (or the cast of players) for our PG to only pass and not score, our 2 guard only drive to the basket and pass up open 3's, some guys to only play defense, other guys only play offense, some guys rebound and others not, some guys make their FTs and others brick them.   We will only be as good as our weakest link -  and Coach Ford deserves National Coach of the Year for what he has done so far.   

Can you believe that piece of sh#t head coach we had a few years back won that award!!    I could have coached that team left by RM ... but I sure could not do what Coach Ford is now doing.   Another reason for me to keep my day job.

Let's look at it this way, so far we know Jimerson is most likely out for the rest of the season, there is a possibility of a red shirt but this is not certain yet. Thatch has a mysterious illness producing cramps that caused the Drs. to order tests that take a couple of weeks to do and may have been sent to specialized testing labs outside of St. Louis (not clear where the tests are being done). I must point out that having a definite diagnosis for Thatch does not mean that he will be able to come back to play this season either, this depends on the treatment needed.

For the time being the Bills have suffered two significant loses, offensively and defensively. However we are doing well and moving ahead winning tough games. This says a lot about the level of talent in our bench and our ability to recover from loss/injury by using the bench. This ability is not endless but so far we are sitting pretty before the start of conference play. I am excited about this year and what it may bring the Bills. Go Bills!

Last night KState played French and JGood like most teams will; clog the inside with 3 big bodies. This is why the loss of Jimerson hurts. However, Perkins, Weaver, Jacobs, and even Hargrove can make life a little easier for our 2 leaders by hitting those outside jumpers. French should also start to think about kicking the ball out on his drives to the hoop. This will open him up more as well if a man leaves him to defend the shooter.