OT: Fly the L

Brighton

6 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

Careful - you are starting to resemble a Mizzou fan bragging about their Big-8 basketball success.  Has no relevance to the here and now.

The Big 8 dissolved 22 years ago. 2010 was 8 years ago.

If recent past is irrelevant, let's just go with what we know presently: Both the Cubs and Cards are currently playing golf and we haven't even played a real playoff game yet.

rgbilliken likes this

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Brighton said:

How's it feel to lose the division along with a chance to get into the actual postseason in consecutive days ?

It's like Miracle in Memphis in reverse. A dynastic team doesn't do that.

I've never claimed the Cubs had a dynasty (except for the 19-aughts).  They lost their ace and closer in free agency and signed Darvish and Marrow to replace them.  Those guys both got injured plus they dealt with a lot of injuries during the course of the season (as all teams do).  The fact they still made the postseason shows they really grinded away for those 95 wins.  They didn't need some stupid magic salsa to win games.

What was so great about the Cardinals season this year?  That they shipped off their best outfield for nothing at the trade deadline?  That they finally got rid of Mike Matheny.  I guess if you hate Matheny and Pham more than winning, it would be considered a good season.

The Cubs are now the model organization in the NL Central. That part is what it is. 

Theo admitted that this year the Cubs played with zero sense of urgency, taking the approach that talent would win out over 162. It kind of did, but the Brewers added a lot of talent to their club. As a Cubs fan, I am good with this season. If you would have told me the Cubs would win 95, not have 2/5's of their starting rotation for most of the year, and have an offense that fell off the map in the 2nd half, I would have taken it. 

In most major sports, all you can really do is get to the playoffs. Once the playoffs start it turns into a bit of a crap shoot. The Cubs have done it 4 straight years now and won 1 world series. It has been a good run and it is far from over. The offense should be much improved with Bryce Harper dropped into the middle of it and a return to MVP health from Kris Bryant. 

The Cardinals will be fine with their massive revenues coming in along with their competitive balance picks and other entitlements they receive from MLB. The hire of Shildt long term was terribly premature and probably a reach, but whatever. It seems the manager job is becoming more about having a front office guy in that spot anyways. I'm sure the Cubs-Brewers-Cardinals will finish 1-3 in some order again next year. 

majerus mojo and QUAILMAN like this

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

This is fuoking stupid 

It is but it's fun! If I ran into Matty Light or Quailman at a SLU game, I'd buy them a beer and cheer on a Billikens victory with them.

7 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

The Big 8 dissolved 22 years ago. 2010 was 8 years ago.

If recent past is irrelevant, let's just go with what we know presently: Both the Cubs and Cards are currently playing golf and we haven't even played a real playoff game yet.

You started that post hearening back to 2000.  That was the first year Norm Stewart did not coach the Tigers.  Ancient history.

1 minute ago, Brighton said:

Theo blowing 55M on three vets who are basically Jake Junis wasn't smart.  Theodore's strategy of developing the hitting killed the starting rotation. And I don't think it gets better next year.

Possibly, but developing pitchers is always a risky venture.  Hell - can't miss guys like Mark Prior and Kerry Wood are one arm blowout from becoming cautionary tales.  There was a sound reasoning on using high draft picks on can't miss position players.  Baez, Bryant, Schwarber, Almora, Happ.  Plus they used Eloy Jimenez and Gleybar Torres to acquire pitching like Quintana and Ardolis Chapman.  I can't fault the results.

Next years rotation should feature Lester, Hendricks, Hamels, Quintana, and someone else (maybe Montgomery or they trade for a RH).  That's not a bad staff.  Sure there is no ace, but you have 3 #2 pitchers and a #3.  That will play.  Hitting is actually what sunk this team.  Too many Ks and too many groundballs.

The Cubs aren't going away and the Brewers are not going away.  The Cards will have to step up their game (defense, baserunning) if they want to keep up in the division.

On 10/4/2018 at 1:35 PM, QUAILMAN said:

I will absolutely admit that and I'm not sure what the problem is with tanking if it gets you to the ultimate prize. Where did I evade admitting that?

What is wrong with tanking is that the purpose of the game is to win not purposefully lose.  Tanking may be one of the biggest problems facing MLB today.  

14 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Can someone tell me how the Cubs, the NL Central’s model franchise, did today in the playoffs today?

I’ll hang up and listen to your answer in the air.

The Cubs are certainly the NLC’s (current) model franchise, is that up for debate? The Cards could get right back there, but they’d have to win the division a couple years again

29 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

The Cubs are certainly the NLC’s (current) model franchise, is that up for debate? The Cards could get right back there, but they’d have to win the division a couple years again

A four year run doesn’t make you the model franchise.  Plus, the Cubs haven’t steamrolled the Central in that 4 year run.  They have won just two division titles.  

IMO, it takes a few more years with some roster reconstruction to get a title like that.  There is no magic sauce to the Cubs success so far.  They tanked to get high draft picks.  Any idiot running a franchise can do that.

I don’t think there is a model franchise in the Central right now.  The Cubs would be the top contenders to claim that mantle, but let’s see how they go forward from here.