Grad Transfer & JUCO Tracker

ACE

On 3/26/2018 at 1:30 PM, ACE said:

Yep, that's the worst part about the grad transfer rule. I think it's a terrible loophole. Basically you are rewarding a kid for going to three different schools - it's ridiculous.

I tend to think that players should have the choice of where they want to go to school. Coaches are allowed to coach where they want to coach. Athletic departments are allowed to renew scholarships as they please. Seems fair that a player who has graduated and done everything asked of him should be allowed to pick the school that is the best fit for his/her goals.

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/26/2018 at 2:28 PM, ACE said:

6-4 shooting guard Nat Dixon for Chattanooga is a grad transfer. He was their leading scorer at 13 ppg, shot a lot of 3s and made them at 39%. Would seem to the type of player we are looking for. I imagine he'll be attracting a lot of interest.

Glad the staff is clearly looking at this thread. ;)

3 minutes ago, NH said:

I tend to think that players should have the choice of where they want to go to school. Coaches are allowed to coach where they want to coach. Athletic departments are allowed to renew scholarships as they please. Seems fair that a player who has graduated and done everything asked of him should be allowed to pick the school that is the best fit for his/her goals.

If it was about where to go to school I agree. But I'm afraid often it is about where to play basketball.

1 hour ago, ACE said:

If it was about where to go to school I agree. But I'm afraid often it is about where to play basketball.

Same thing.  Who cares why a kid selects a school - do you care if a kid says I want to go to school X because my girlfriend is going there? - probably not.

19 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Same thing.  Who cares why a kid selects a school - do you care if a kid says I want to go to school X because my girlfriend is going there? - probably not.

I just don't care if a kid has to sit out a year. Another year of free education before having to go into the real world is hardly a punishment.

My issue is really with the kid that transfers for a 3rd time not having to sit out. The second school that invested in the kid sitting out a year and then typically only playing one, gets punished.

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

calling @Pistol

Nat Dixon - SG, 6-4, 183 - Lynn Haven, FL (Chattanooga) - Twitter: @DixonNat

Offers: TBD.

Interest: SLU, St. Bonaventure, Creighton, Wake Forest, Memphis, Nevada, Morehead State, South Alabama.

Latest News: Dixon has heard from SLU, St. Bonaventure, Creighton, Wake Forest, Memphis, Nevada, and South Alabama. He is in the process of setting up a visit to Memphis. (3/28/18)

Scouting Report: Dixon is an immediately-eligible grad transfer who averaged a team-leading 13.8 points along with 4.6 rebounds and shot 39.5% from 3 in a league-leading 36.5 minutes per game. He's a very good athlete who can guard multiple positions. He has range and consistency from deep and gets to the FT line. He began his college career as a WR for Boston College's football team. He then played a season at East Mississippi Community College before transferring to Chattanooga for his sophomore and junior years (academic junior and senior years).

This year at Chattanooga, he attempted 10.4 shots a game, with over half coming from 3 (2.1 makes on 5.4 attempts per game). He led the conference in average minutes and led the Mocs in scoring. There was only one game in which he didn't make at least 1 3-pointer, and it was coming off a 2-game injury.

I'm going to check out some video on him when I get a chance, but on paper, he makes sense to me.

I just caught up with that one, as well as another from his juco year (in which he only shot 32.3% from the perimeter).

He's definitely got range. Has a really consistent, easy stroke, too, albeit one with a slightly low release point. The HS and juco videos show more of his athleticism, more of him going to the rim, dunking, blocking shots. The video above shows more of him shooting from range. Different ages and programs and levels, I know.

1 hour ago, ACE said:

I just don't care if a kid has to sit out a year. Another year of free education before having to go into the real world is hardly a punishment.

My issue is really with the kid that transfers for a 3rd time not having to sit out. The second school that invested in the kid sitting out a year and then typically only playing one, gets punished.

So a kid like Austin should have to sit a year even though Vandy doesn't want him back?

10 minutes ago, brianstl said:

So a kid like Austin should have to sit a year even though Vandy doesn't want him back?

I think a kid "not renewed" should not have to sit out a year. I do see a distinction there. You make a good point in this instance, but this seems to be more the exception as opposed to the kid at the low to mid major who is just using their second stop as a stepping stone.

1 hour ago, ACE said:

I think a kid "not renewed" should not have to sit out a year. I do see a distinction there. You make a good point in this instance, but this seems to be more the exception as opposed to the kid at the low to mid major who is just using their second stop as a stepping stone.

What do you do if a kid’s scholarship isn’t formally “not renewed” but he’s told there’s no longer playing time for him at his current school? He should sit out?

I guess I also just don’t really see any fundamental issue with kids who use a program as a stepping stone. If they’re talented enough to play at a more challenging level I have no problem with them doing that.

9 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Okay. 

38% from the arc is bad.  80% from the line is bad.  42% inside the arc is bad.

There are a lot of bad shooters in the NCAA.

80% from the FT line is a plus on this team.  38% from the 3pt line is acceptable.  All that being said he is not coming back here.

13 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

80% from the FT line is a plus on this team.  38% from the 3pt line is acceptable.  All that being said he is not coming back here.

I'm simply defining 757's "he can't shoot".

Why do you think he would want to come back here? 

17 hours ago, Pistol said:

He's definitely got range. Has a really consistent, easy stroke, too, albeit one with a slightly low release point. The HS and juco videos show more of his athleticism, more of him going to the rim, dunking, blocking shots. The video above shows more of him shooting from range. Different ages and programs and levels, I know.

He's got that church league jumper!

Most of the guard grad transfers at this point have been from lower conferences perhaps looking to move up.

This one could be the opposite - Dion Wiley, 6-4, from Maryland. Only averaged about 6 ppg, but was ranked #52 nationally coming out of high school. Known as an excellent shooter. Has battled injuries during his career and has been passed by on the depth chart by some other players. Could be the kind of player who could make an impact in the A-10. SLU can make the Javon Bess comparison during a recruiting pitch - a player from the Big 10 who battled injuries and didn't put up big numbers  - has come to SLU and thrived. 

28 minutes ago, ACE said:

Most of the guard grad transfers at this point have been from lower conferences perhaps looking to move up.

This one could be the opposite - Dion Wiley, 6-4, from Maryland. Only averaged about 6 ppg, but was ranked #52 nationally coming out of high school. Known as an excellent shooter. Has battled injuries during his career and has been passed by on the depth chart by some other players. Could be the kind of player who could make an impact in the A-10. SLU can make the Javon Bess comparison during a recruiting pitch - a player from the Big 10 who battled injuries and didn't put up big numbers  - has come to SLU and thrived. 

Good recruiting pitch for Wiley but the injuries are always a concern so I would take a chance on somebody like that if we sign a player like Nat Dixon.

I really hope they can get Nat Dixon in for a visit I like his numbers and two years of eligibility.  

2 hours ago, ACE said:

Kassius Robertson from a small school was the best grad transfer in the NCAA and Mizzou's best player. 

There have been many posts of grad transfers and JUCO players, which players that have been offered by SLU would be a pitbull celebration if they committed for 2018?